PDA

View Full Version : Trade Deadline Thread

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Probably the most important part of the regular season. What do you think the pats should do for the deadline this year? Any players you would like to see here that we cant possibly acquire?

Its pretty obvious we need a defenceman. Doesnt matter what we need to give up to fill this need, but nothing too crazy. And if Delahey is done for awhile, perhaps 2nd guy as a temporary replacement would also be convenient. Just a reliable minute eater, but we also still need that top 4 guy.

Also, like Harder has said on his blog (and like everyone has basically said before that) we should also try and fill the 20 year old spot. Not looking for the best one, but one that can give experience and take some pressure off of the top offensive players.

Any discussion at all would be nice...could post updates here too if you want.

scoreboard
01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Probably the most important part of the regular season. What do you think the pats should do for the deadline this year? Any players you would like to see here that we cant possibly acquire?

Its pretty obvious we need a defenceman. Doesnt matter what we need to give up to fill this need, but nothing too crazy. And if Delahey is done for awhile, perhaps 2nd guy as a temporary replacement would also be convenient. Just a reliable minute eater, but we also still need that top 4 guy.

Also, like Harder has said on his blog (and like everyone has basically said before that) we should also try and fill the 20 year old spot. Not looking for the best one, but one that can give experience and take some pressure off of the top offensive players.

Any discussion at all would be nice...could post updates here too if you want.

When is General Manager Parker going to make those trades. I think he should have brought in a defenceman and at least two forwards, before Christmas. He knew the club would be missing top players and now with Matt Delahey out with a dislocated shoulder, it makes it even worse.

patsdude114
01-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Well now that Delahey is hurt & out for sometime we definately need to fill 2 spots on the back end now, plus another decent scorer

I would like to see a deal for Greg Scott out of Seattle a 20 yr old fwd who scored 38 times last season, but on a weaker Seattle team only has 10 goals 25 pts in 31 games. I think Scott could turn his numbers around on a more offensive minded team, plus a bonus to him is he is a LW he could fit in well with Eberle & Weal. More of a offensive touch then MacAngus. Could then move Strueby into the 3rd Center spot with Mitchell & Czibere (Czibere could play C & Strueby LW also) the Pats could ice 3 soild lines all with scoring ability and physical play. Could give the pats more leaway with line combo's maybe get more consistancy within our lines with a guy like Scott.

Keep in mind Parker is known to try to revitilaze a players scoring touch, look at least season bringing in Watt & Depape.

Also to fill a void on the backend Parker should take a look at PG for a guy by the name of Hobbs. I had suggested earlier in the year for this Hobbs kid and i would still like to see Hobbs in a Pats jersey. Hobbs is 6'1 205lbs from Prince Albert, playing closer to home may be beneficial to him plus his family & friends. Hobbs can play minutes and is that top 4 guy we are looking for. With Delahey hurt right now i can see Hobbs filling the void. Plus Hobbs is a right handed shot. Derkatch needs to play Scarbrough more now that he is healthy, this kid can play he went from playing 20+ mins a night in Red Deer to only playing if lucky 12 mins a night. Scarbrough can play more mins then that on a nightly basis. Once Delahey returns Hobbs along with Scarbrough would give our backend the depth we need.

Also note to Derkatch, quit being so high on this Miller kid, Sparrow & Perrault have looked alot better then Miller but yet you choose to keep Miller over those 2. You can tell Derkatch & Perkins are old forwards and cant notice the little things that Perrault & Sparrow do on the ice, that Miller does not. Being a guy who used to play defence in my hockey days i can notice that these 2 kids are far more ahead in there development then Miller is. Yet they are playing SJHL.

witness
01-04-2009, 08:46 PM
There is some talk that both Calgary and Tri Cities are interested in Strueby.
Don't quote me on this one, but I think it was Toll from TC.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-05-2009, 12:37 AM

I'd do that. I looked through the rosters and Toll is probably one of the better options. As far as 19 year old defencemen go, they are hard to come by, especially available outside of the division. Id like MJ's Stanton, but again its with MJ so it probably wont happen. The teams in the central have their cupboards bare(like LET,EDM, and RD), or have their defence set with 20 year olds/ players ready for pro like the other three

In the west, Ehrhardt would be too pricey, and alot of the top guys are already on contending teams. Toll fits the bill, and Strueby has regressed a bit lately. Perhaps a little more than Toll would be ideal, but he is probably perfect.

patsdude114
01-05-2009, 05:29 PM

This doesnt make no sense from a Tri-City stand point.... they are sitting in 1st place in the US division why would they trade away a 19 yr old Dman when there so hard to come by with experience, plus he is a right handed shot (which is even harder to find 19yr old Dman with right handed shot) this trade doesnt make any sense from Tri-Cities view.

Im thinking if they want to add a player like Strueby it will be for a young guy, a guy who doesnt really effect there roster. Dont get me wrong if it was for Toll id be fine with it, but i really dont see it happening unless Tri-City adds another Dman 1st.

Parker doesnt know if he is going to be a buyer or a seller... but we all know this team is bad without Eberle, Teubert & Cerveny. You add these players along with Weal back into the line-up and again we are a contender in our division, just have fallen too far behind Saskatoon to caught them with how they have been playing all season.

CJSenterprise4
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Not at all that would be stupid. We have 5 of our top 9 point getters out right now. Eberle, Weal, Cerveny, Teubert and Delahey. Hard to win games with your 2 best D men and your top 2 F's out. Have good goaltending and if they can get another steady 19 year old D man and a offensive 20 year old this team can beat anyone in the East.

witness
01-06-2009, 10:24 AM
MacAngus and a draft pick for Robertson.
Robertson could put up some terrific numbers with Weal and Eberle. But, I am still reeling from the Depape trade last year. I am optimitic that this will help the goal scoring.

MacAngus is a good team guy. Always stood up for the younger players. Some offensive talent, good in his own zone. Good luck in PA, Michael.

nivek_wahs
01-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I like the trade. I think it was what both players needed.... A fresh start.

Roddy reports that Cody Hanson has been reassigned to Melville. http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2009/01/hansen-reassigned.html

Fight Guy
01-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Awwww....that's too bad. He has been playing fairly well. Definitely one of the Pats that always works hard. Just not skilled enough is my guess for the demotion. Especially with Breitkruz looking very good upon his return to the Pats. That's my guess for Hanson being sent down. Or maybe it was because of his performance in his fight with Cowan :p

As for today's trade...

I could see Robertson replacing MacAngus on the top line. The top line won't be as tough now, but possibly a missing ingredient in a top offensive line. Playing with Weal and Eberle could get him his spark back. My guess is we will see him on the starting line up come Friday.

SAJ mentioned on the white board that this seemed a lot like the DePape trade last year.

I also thought this seemed a lot like the DePape trade last season, but DePape, if I'm not mistaken, was getting a lot of his points in PA from standing in front of the net and picking up the garbage, a role he didn't really play with the Pats. Robertson I'm sure is a lot more offensively skilled than DePape ever was.

Curious to see what other moves Parker makes.

CJSenterprise4
01-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Robertson is and has been P.A's best forward for the last few years. He is way better than DePape..who would even compare those two players. Robertson is a goal scorer and a great player. The last home game i told my buddy that came with me to watch out for #12 Robertson and two minutes later boom Robertson scores. He is a good player, just wondering if he is on the top line who will do most of the dirty work in the corners now.

Good trade though overall and good for Hanson...he is not a tough guy and has no skill at all. He should be in the S.J. Would much rather see Mulder or someone stay with the team.

Bepoleon
01-06-2009, 11:38 PM
I like the deal. IMO Robertson will be a good addition to the Pats. Robertson is a goal scorer and point producer while MacAngus scored most of his points playing with Eberle and Weal. On the upside, Mac has been playing physical as of late.

With one overage spot availible, my wish list is as follows...
1. Taylor Ellington (EVT) - He impressed the s**t out me when Everett came to town. He would be an asset on D and Everett appears to be sellers this year.
2. Greg Scott (SEA) - He would be a good addition. With him in the line up we could contend???
3. Ryley Grantham (MJ) - With this beast in a Pats jersey, I don't think anyone would be taking liberties on our Jordans and new addition Robertson. I think he would be beneficial for us in (if we make) the playoffs.

Heres to wishful thinking.

Hanson was a different player at the begining of the year, he was energized and hitting everything on the ice. But since his shoulder injury, he has not been the same. Maybe scared to hurt his shoulder??? I dunno. I thought the Pats would move him soon.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I think this was a good deal for both teams. Pats took more of a risk though, as this, like mentioned, looks eerily similar to last years depape deal. I think it will probably work out, but Robertson is going to have to change his nickname if he plays for Derkatch.

And I dont think its best to keep our 3 smallest skill players on the same line. Perhaps start Robertson off on the second line LW spot Macangus had before with Weal and Leffler, and then maybe try robertson and the jordans on the powerplay. But we will see what happens. All the trades arent done yet anyways...

I wonder what move Parker will make next. I hope there is still some hope of acquiring a 19 year old that will return next year, whether its Ehrhardt, Toll, Stanton, or whomever... If that ends up going through, trade for Dudas too if he is really cheap. That would improve our depth tremendously, and if/when Dudas goes down, it still wont do too much damage if we have really good depth.

patsdude114
01-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Well 1st off i'd like to say i really like this deal with the Raiders, Robertson is a goal scorer that can help take alittle pressure off Eberle.

Here is a list of players i wouldnt mind seeing in a Pats jersey come Jan. 10th

1st a short of possible 20 yr olds to add.....

Greg Scott a LW, scored 38 times last season along with 75 pts..has 29 pts in 33games including 12 goals.
Kenton Dulle a RW from Regina, small fast, skilled forward 37 pts in 38 games along with 16 goals.
Jeff Lee a LW has size a set up player with some finish 44 pts in 44 games including 15 goals.
Ian Duval used to play for Pats, was traded for Mike Reich in 06/07 season, has speed & play making abilities, but also plays for MJ is there a chance to make 2 deals with them in 1 season.

a little list of some 19 yr old Dmen we could use for depth on our blue line.

Jeremy Schappert big solid Dman
Thomas Hickey far cry to land Hickey... is it worth a shot though??? i think yes, can we land him... most likely not.. can dream though right
Travis Ehrhardt offensive minded Dman could really help our PP
Ryan Kerr tough soild Dman, kind of another Teubert type jsut less skill
Cody Hobbs big solid Dman has interest from other teams.. whats the price though??

Anyone of these players i have listed i would be happy with either in a Pats jersey would be great to land, Id prefer to see 1 of my 20 yr olds and 1 of my Dman players listed but ill take 1 also lol

would love to hear your opinions on some of the players i listed.... especially SAJ, nivek_wahs & fight guy..

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Lets take a look at the big picture first. Sorry for the long post in advance, and the fact that Im all over the place here.

First, the players we cant afford to lose. We got a solid core of 16 year olds with Weal, Slobozian, Hood, and soon Tendler. Favreau is a standup guy too, and I dont want to see any of those guys moved, not even for Hickey. Most of '93 players are playing well too, like Bell and Stevenson, and Im hesitant to moving them either.

That basically eliminates the chance of getting any of the big fishes on defence. Hickey would require an astronomical return like the one Beach got, and Ehrhardt would almost need as much of a package since Portland would want more than he is worth since they have little value in their cupboard, and dont really have to move him right now anyways.

Right now, we have a solid core to build around with Teubert and Eberle as franchise players as I see it right now, especially Eberle who I think might be a top 3 player in the entire league. And a solid cast of 19 year olds in Leffler, Delahey, and Rowat. All the players mentioned here have basically a 50/50 chance of going pro, so its really difficult to make a play with that. Though even if the potential OAs all go pro, Strueby and Czibere are solid players worthy of a spot as well.

I say that since we dont know who stays and goes next year, to play it safe since this isnt our year with the Calgarys and Vancouvers running around, and the fact that we can be even better next year depending on who is back. We should just make the necessary improvements to the team, but not to make a huge splash and "go for it". Also, Schappart, Kerr etc arent really necessary either. Perreault has filled that role well, and has probably solidified himself a spot on the team now.

Fight Guy
01-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, I'll just throw my two cents in.

In regards to SAJ's proposal on Mitchell. Though I don't know a whole lot about Bouma, that trade looks good on paper, and Vancouver has a great team so I couldn't imagine much downside to him. But I really don't see a player like Mitchell getting sent out. For an 18 year old, he is way ahead of his time and is a great leader on this team, a future captain in my eyes. His work ethic and general play is something the Pats need to keep around. He may not have the scoring touch, but what he does is effective and valuable. Much like Schira when he was here, but up front. Then again...if you look at it that way, where did he end up? :p

I'll comment on a few players that patsdude brought up. Three players I don't see happening. Duval for one. I hate it when a team trades away a player then tries to go back to them. Plus the last memorable trade I remember with Moose Jaw was when the Pats traded to get Mr. Annesley back and he turned out to be a complete douche... so he was sent to Moose Jaw :) Though I wouldn't imagine Duval has had a change in personality and ego like Annesley, I just don't see trading for him necessary.

Hickey, no...lol. Though we would all love to see him in a Pats jersey...no.

Now I feel Ehrhardt would be a great player to pick up. Would fill the need on the blue line just fine. But coming from a still struggling Winterhawks team, like SAJ said, his price would probably be too high for a Pats team looking to make a casual playoff run.

Now to the player I now more and more expect to see in a Pats jersey come Saturday is Jesse Dudas. Since he decided not to report back to Swift to await a trade, I figured he would be a good fit with the Pats. Big, strong, and talented. I honestly thought he would have been a Pat by now. Though I'm sure the fact that he is injury prone helped Parker to sit on this one till he shopped around. And now with the deadline two days away, he may be the Pats best and cheapest option. Also now for the past two days, we're starting to here more and more of Parker talking to Swift in the media. If he can stay healthy the rest of the season, it would be a great pick up. Though obviously an 18 or 19 year old would be better, I think Dudas is our best option to fill two vacancies in the line up.

That's all for now. I guess my two cents turned into about a buck fifty. :clown:

witness
01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey Fight Guy, two things:
1. Mitchell is a 17 year old
2. Although Dudas would bring some much needed help to the blue line, the guy is glass. If tge price was a cheap enough, then OK. But, realistically I would see him as filling in for Delahey. Once March hits, I would predict that Dudas is on the injury list or has spent sugnificant time on the list.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
I know everyone has problems with our bottom pair defenceman, but we will need all the experience we can get next year. The group of 17 year olds is....eehh...not amazing. They really pale in comparison to the 16 and 18 year old groups. We can afford to trade one of Pym and Miller. With the emergence of Perreault, Pym or Miller can go as they both play the same role (Miller will put on some muscle and be argueably the same size as Pym, and even more similar of a player.)

I also dont think Mitchell is as untouchable as one might suggest. He always plays hard, but honestly probably isnt ever going to be a big point guy ever. Hanson gave it his all too, and you can find guys who can do the same. And Favreau can also play the same role as Mitchell. Either one or the other. I would trade Mitchell to the Giants for Lance Bouma . Bouma is a similar player effort wise, great forechecker and big hitter. He can also provide more offence, but is a year older. And Bouma is having a very so-so year with them as well, especially since they are far and away the best team in the league. Coupled a scenary chang for Bouma, they might do it, seeing the Giants could use the grit Mitchell brings at his age anyways.

And we could once again become good trading partners with Red Deer. Send Pym to Red Deer for Cullen Morin. They got good young defensive core, and one of the two could add to it well with a change of scenary. And we could obviously use his skill and he can play some good minutes here. ...And then if he is cheap enough, add Dudas for a low pick or whatever. Low risk, high reward if we have good depth. We need D more than offence, and Dudas can provide both. He also probably doesnt like the broncos which is a plus as well :).

Stopping right here is good...but more on Red Deer, one player I have always coveted is Willie Coetzee. Probably near untouchable but I would overpay for a guy like that. Dont know how we would get him, but Ill think about that later. This is just for fun, but how about Strueby, Prokop and Ketlo for Coetzee, and Clark

Enough of this for now. 2 more days left and Parker has already likely made a decision already anyways. Hoping for the best!

Fight Guy
01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey Fight Guy, two things:
1. Mitchell is a 17 year old
2. Although Dudas would bring some much needed help to the blue line, the guy is glass. If tge price was a cheap enough, then OK. But, realistically I would see him as filling in for Delahey. Once March hits, I would predict that Dudas is on the injury list or has spent sugnificant time on the list.
Oops...my bad. That was a typo.

And I agree 100% with what you say about Dudas. I said if he can stay healthy, it would be great. This is also assuming his price won't be too high.

patsdude114
01-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I completely agree with u on the Pym & Miller thing... Perrault was alot better then Miller at the begining of the year, but im not going to get into that cuz u all know how i feel about Miller.

As for the Hickey thing.... i never for one second thought we could get him. I know he is way to far out of our price range, i was more less just dreaming lol.

Parker has said time and time again he wants to add that 3rd 20 yr old spot with a scorer... i dont think swapping 20 yr olds with PA for a guy with more offensive upside is what Parker ment by adding a 20 yr old scorer. The Pats & Blazers have been known to make deals for years now, to be honest it wouldnt surprise me if Parker went & got Dulle. Bringing a hometown boy in as a 20 yr old can do alot for the player, getting to play infront of family & friends on a nightly basis. I personally dont think we are that far off from other top teams. Besides 1 really bad game against Calgary & Saskatoon we have competed with other top teams... & remember look at last season Calgary was just as good as they were last season and Red Deer took them to the limits in there best of 7 series once playoffs come anything can happen. Injuries cockiness can all take a toll on a team. We got the players, a addition here & there and things can turn around really fast.

When we were without Eberle & Teubert lets face it our team didnt stand a chance in most games. Not enough consistant scoring. Adding Robertson & possibly Dulle or Scott can help us alot. Leffler was scoring with Eberle gone if he can keep chipping in like he has all season the offence is there. The team didnt have confidence while Teubert & Eberle were gone. It showed by loosing 8 of 9 games. You add Teubert, Eberle & Cerveny back into the line up, plus add Robertson & possibly another decent 20 yr old scorer we can be as good as any team in our division. But yet also we need 1 more Dman mainly due to the Delahey injury.

I also really hope Parker doesnt add Dudas to our roster. He is too injury prone why even bother taking the risk, the kids got a poor attitude for not wanting to return to the Broncos to battle it out for that 20 yr old spot. That speaks volumes for its self. Parker has had troubles in the past with players not wanting to report so i dont see him taking a chance on a player with the same attitude.

I think if Parker can land the 19 yr old Dman he wants you could see Miller, Pym or Slobozian could be moved for the 20 yr old he wants. With Bell & Borstmeyer both being ready to play next season 1 of those can be availible.

SectionNDeserter
01-08-2009, 05:22 PM
This is just for fun, but how about Strueby, Prokop and Ketlo for Coetzee, and ClarkIf Red Deer has pretty much given up on this season, I wouldn't look past Brennan Wray either. He has put up respectable numbers on the blueline this season, and could fill in for Delahay till he returns, and either continue to play defense, or move back to center--he is competent at both positions. Ketlo is a '91, which would be a good fit here as a backup, and Strueby would be an upgrade to our '89 situation for next season. I think you would have a hard time prying any of our '90s (besides Clark), '91s, '92s or '93s out of the team.

Fight Guy
01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't see the Pats dumping their great depth in goal. If Ketlo were to go, I would be shocked.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I don't see the Pats dumping their great depth in goal. If Ketlo were to go, I would be shocked.

We got Derek Tendler coming up next year, MVP of the sask midget league at 15 on a sub par team. He will definitely be on the team next year, and if Rowat is still around, Ketlo will be gone anyways.

If we got Morgan Clark (just an example) instead, we have a goaltender with more experience to be able to shoulder the load in the event Rowat goes down, or take over next year if Rowat turns pro.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-09-2009, 01:36 PM
WE DEFINITELY HAVE TO PICK UP A DEFENCEMAN,

...but, I actually wouldnt mind seeing the pats pick up Devon LeBlanc too. Tough, gritty winger (80 PIM)that can add to secondary scoring. Has 10 goals, and 17 points in 41 games on a fairly weak team this year. He would probably be cheaper than alot of the big players on the market.

Fight Guy
01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Dudas for 4th round pick in 2010. Was wondering when it was going to happen. Should have traded straight up for Miller :burningma

paraiders9
01-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Dudas for 4th round pick in 2010. Was wondering when it was going to happen. Should have traded straight up for Miller :burningma

ah i thought they chould get better

Fight Guy
01-09-2009, 10:25 PM
ah i thought they chould get better...what? lol Or are you talking about Swift could get better?

nivek_wahs
01-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Pats Press Release.... http://www.reginapats.com/News/534/

Pats Acquire Jesse Dudas

Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats are pleased to announce the acquisition of defenceman Jesse Dudas from the Swift Current Broncos in exchange for a 4th round pick in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

Dudas suffered a knee injury at Oilers training camp this fall and was the odd man out in the 20 year old situation with the Broncos, so he hasn’t played in a WHL game yet this season. In 2007-08 he has 5 goals and 30 assists with both the Prince George Cougars and the Swift Current Broncos.

Jesse Dudas
Defenceman
6’2” 215
Hometown: St.Albert, Alta.
2007-08 Cougars/Broncos
5g 30a 35pts 106pim

Regina Pats General Manager Brent Parker, “We are excited to add a veteran top four defenceman of Jesse’s ability. We will give our power play an immediate boost and we look forward to getting him in our line-up.”

With the pick-up of Dudas, and the acquisition of Matt Robertson earlier this week, it gives the Pats their full compliment of 3 twenty year-olds. It’s the Pats intention to have Dudas in the line-up Sunday night at 6pm against the Edmonton Oil Kings.

CJSenterprise4
01-09-2009, 11:08 PM
ah i thought they chould get better

I thought the Broncos could have something better for Dudas also. A 4th round pick is not much at all.

Great trade for the Pats even if Dudas is injured for a couple weeks at some point in the 2nd half here.

patsdude114
01-09-2009, 11:14 PM

I dont even think the Bronco's are stupid enough to take Miller..... heck Portland would have problems finding use for him...

Again tonight Miller looks brutal... the 2 penalities he took tonight was due to him getting beat (cuz he isnt quick enough or strong enough) which forces him to slash & hook. Yet Derkatch keeps putting this kid out there for his regular shift. Makes me wonder if Derkatch is blind. I think Derkatch may need to watch a game from the press box & put Todd Streuby behind the bench with Perkins. Maybe then Derkatch will see the mistakes Miller makes each & every shift.

Please someone answer this for me....... How did Miller get a spot on our Defence?

Can we please recall up Sparrow and put Miller in Sparrow's spot.

On a positive note.... Robertson looked great tonight with Weal & Eberle. I agreed with Perkins on the post game show that they all got stronger as the game progressed. As much as im not overly thrilled about getting Dudas, he should eat up some minutes which means less time for Miller on the ice right??? Ya right with my luck Miller will be Dudas D partner... arrrgh cant win at all can we....

Fight Guy
01-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Robertson was great tonight. And yes, some mis-communication early, but got better through out the game. Fits in well with that line. with some more practices and games under their belts, they could turn out to be a top offensive line. But with Miller on defense, the goals they score won't matter. Sorry...that was a blatant cheap shot at Miller. :wave:

patsdude114
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
But with Miller on defense, the goals they score won't matter. Sorry...that was a blatant cheap shot at Miller. :wave:

FINALLY someone else is jumping on my boat with this kid. Yes i know he is still only a kid but my god... Least they are starting to kinda fix it by putting Perrault in the lineup.

Fight Guy
01-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Actually, I've been on the boat all year. Just tonight I've finally snapped.

I actually wonder now what he would be like playing forward. He wouldn't be relied on as much to keep the puck in the zone and he could put his potential offensive skill to the test. Because all I see from him right now is a decent shot.

And yes, he is a kid still, but he's gonna have to deal with criticism at this level.

nivek_wahs
01-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Enough about Miller already. Ok maybe not enough.... my turn to speak up. Miller isn't as bad as you guys say. I think he is ready for the WHL but just not ready yo play as much as he does. He's been thrown into the fire (especially with Delahey's injury) or thrown to the proverbial wolves. Let's talk about the whole D-core last night... Here comes the criticism.... Perrault is big but he is fairly slow and was caught out of position numerous times last night... Scarborough (even though he is coming off an injury) played a very average game for what he played and looked very ordinary and unspectacular (doesn't play PP or kill many penalties)... Pym looked bad last night; had numerous turnovers and just didn't look good last night. Now looking at this 3 of the 4 guys I wrote about are 17 (2 are rookies) and they are playing waaaay too much at this level and their lack of seasoning is really showing. Now that Dudas has been acquired (a move which I like) it will take the pressure off of the kids and Parker will have the opportunity to send one down to Junior A or Midget or dealt. One thing that hurt the Pats last night (other than the PK) was Teubert taking the instigator penalty (with the automatic misconduct) and having to serve 17 minutes in the box.

With all of the names that have been mentioned I would gladly welcome any to the fold. Now that the Pats have a full complement of 20's I am curious as to what Parker has on the go. The teams goaltender situation is good, but if Rowat was to go down with an injury I just don't think that Ketlo would be able to carry the load (kinda like Olynyk a couple years ago when Slade got suspended in the playoffs... we had no chance... sorry Nick). The teams secondary scoring has been very inconsistent. I dunno really what else to say other than I don't think Parker is done wheeling and dealing (or trying to... at least).

witness
01-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I agree with Nivek. As a whole the defense was awful. They were continously beat off the board in the one on one battles and had to take a penality to stop a pure scoring chance. Tuebert was the best of the lot. That was the worst game I have watched Bartley play since last year. Took too many chances and got caught several times. I thought that Perrault was OK (just OK). Scarbough was no existant. And I would link Pym and Miller in the same catagory.
I agree with the coaching staff. These guys are playing way too many minutes and in situations that they can't handle.

Dwight Schrute
01-10-2009, 10:17 AM
the same miller that was +2 last night ?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Well, unless something comes in last minute, I guess we are done.

Here is what our lineup should look like...

Matt Robertson LW - Jordan Weal C - Jordan Eberle C
Mitch Czibere C/LW- Rudolf Cerveny C - Brett Leffler RW
Matt Strueby LW - Neal Prokop C - Tomas Hrcina LW
Graham Hood LW - Dominick Favreau C - Garrett Mitchell RW
Kyle Mulder C/RW

Victor Bartley D - Colten Teubert D
Jesse Dudas D - Alex Pym D
Mike Scarborough D - Justin Slobozian D
Dominic Perreault D

*Matt Delahey D is injured but will be on top 4 when healed.

Rowat G
Ketlo G

Id say that we have a solid top 4 once healthy(and if they stay healthy). The offence looks allright as well, but I hope the secondary scoring stays more consistant. Also, as dynamic as the top line is, I hope they save it for the PP and move on of these guys to the second line to spread the depth around.

EDIT: Perreault will probably be sent down once Delahey returns.

nivek_wahs
01-10-2009, 04:53 PM
http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/archive/2009/01/10/pats-stand-pat.aspx

Pats stand pat

By Greg Harder 01-10-2009 Slap Shots

No deals for the Pats before today's 4 p.m. deadline. GM Brent Parker was true to his word when he said he wanted to add a goal-scoring forward (Matt Robertson) and a top-four defenceman (Jesse Dudas). Parker looked at making further additions today, but in the end stuck to his guns that he wasn't sacrificing the future in a year that doesn't look like it's their turn to "go for it."

The top two teams in the East Division — the Saskatoon Blades and Brandon Wheat Kings — also stood Pat. The Swift Current Broncos, meanwhile, made a bold statement that they're ready to take a run at the division frontrunners.

The moves the Pats did make should certainly be enough to get them into the playoffs. Perhaps they can even win a round. Is Regina good enough to take a run at the Calgary Hitmen? Not a chance. Are they good enough to compete with the Blades, Wheat Kings and Broncos? That remains to be seen, but as of now it looks like a tall order. The Pats aren't far behind any of those clubs in terms of talent. In fact, they have more talent than the Saskatoon Blades. That said, each of those teams have proven to this point that they play much better as a team.

Therefore, the pressure is now on head coach Dale Derkatch and assistant coach Terry Perkins to get the most out of this group. If they don't, Regina will likely just sneak its way into the playoffs and become first-round speed bump for one of the top clubs.

The Pats are a much better team than they've shown to this point. Now it's time to put up or shut up.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-10-2009, 05:37 PM
From Rods blog:

"With the acquisition of Jesse Dudas, the Regina Pats have re-assigned defenceman Koltyn Miller to the Nipawin Hawks of the SJHL."

Good. He needs to take it easy. Could end up being a good player but had too much pressure put on him.

Fight Guy
01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I missed that when I read that posting earlier. :wave:

applause

CJSenterprise4
01-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Pats top 4 D men when Delahey gets back are rock solid now. Bartley, Teubs, Dudas and Delahey. Pym and scarborough are a really solid 5-6 pairing then i like Slobozian for the other spot but nice to have the option to play Perrault also. The forwards are solid with Eberle, Weal, Leffler, Robertson, Strueby and so on. One player i would really like to see get it going it Mitchell. He played so great for Canada earlier, we know he has the scoring ability and brings so much energy with hits once he gets it together and rolling this could be a good run with NHL prospect Rowat in net and Ketlo is a good back-up.

Fight Guy
01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
They definitely have the tools now. They just need to play better as a team and play full games. The games that they were winning earlier in the season, they were play 60 minute games and never let off physically. Then once they eased up on the hitting and weren't working as hard, they began to fall. Then add that to an array of players leaving for tournaments, they just fell hard.

The Pats need to get some wins and some confidence back and learn to play hard every game. There is definitely no reason this team shouldn't be challenging for top spot in the division with the players they have. Wouldn't expect them to rise in the standings that much now, but I think they could easily move up to 4th or maybe 3rd in the conference...with help from other teams of coarse.

patsdude114
01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Ill be happy as long as we dont face the hitmen in the 1st rd.... they r the class act of our division again... but yet this year there much better... they man handled the Broncos last night beating them at ease with a 7-3 win..... Now with saying that i am not saying the Broncos r a push over cuz there not... its just saying how good the Hitmen really are. 4th or 5th would be a great finish especially after the slump we had with our top guys playing internationally.

nivek_wahs
01-13-2009, 04:40 PM
http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/pats-hockey/Parker+stands+players+post+deadline/1167666/story.html

Parker stands up for players post-deadline
By Greg Harder, The Leader-PostJanuary 12, 2009

Brent Parker still believes in the Regina Pats.

The veteran GM believes the Pats are a better team than their record indicates. He believes they can vault up the standings without a wholesale makeover. He also believes they have the ability to surprise some people in the post-season.

"I like our group, I've said that all along," Parker said after standing pat at Saturday's trade deadline. "The last little while has been an awful stretch and a bad bump in the road but we will be better, I really believe that. I believe we can still make some noise."

Now they have to prove it -- to themselves and their restless fan base.

"There's always pressure in this market," continued Parker. "If we make a bunch of moves and try to get ourselves where we want to be, then we get criticized for giving up the farm. If we don't do anything, then we get the opposite. They want to see a team that wins, but the pressure from the outside is not nearly as great as the pressure we put on ourselves. We know we haven't been as good as we need to be lately. That's the job of our players and our coaching staff and myself to get us to where we need to be come the middle of March."

Parker did accomplish two primary goals in advance of the trade deadline, picking up first-line sniper Matt Robertson from Prince Albert and adding veteran defenceman Jesse Dudas from Swift Current. Parker tried to make another deal on Saturday, but lost out to the rival Broncos, who swung a major trade with the Kootenay Ice for forward Michael Stickland and defenceman John Negrin. The Broncos gave up a substantial package of future assets that Regina wasn't prepared to match -- former first-round bantam pick Christian Magnus, 16, defenceman James Martin, 17, along with second- and fourth-round picks in 2010.

Parker was previously involved in discussions with the Moose Jaw Warriors about WHL scoring leader Joel Broda, but he landed with the Calgary Hitmen.

"We tried on two fronts (to acquire) some pretty big fish but it wasn't the right fit for the other team," explained Parker. "We weren't going to mortgage the future and sell the farm to do it. There were some things where guys were asking for players that we just weren't comfortable doing anything with. We've seen the other side of it too. You can make a whole host of changes and do all this stuff but it doesn't always work out."

Although Parker didn't reel in a big fish, that might have been a difference-maker for his struggling team, he insists he's content with what was accomplished.

"We feel we've addressed some major needs," he said. "We think our top four (on) defence are as good as anybody's in the league right now. We have some elite players, our goaltending is good. I'm sure there are a lot of teams in our division and our conference and the other conference that all feel they have a legitimate chance. Are there two teams that are distinct favourites on paper right now? Yeah. Vancouver and Calgary have earned that right through the first half of the year, but the names aren't on the trophies yet and there's a lot of very good teams in our division that still could do it and we believe we're in that mix of teams."

Parker feels that way despite the fact that Regina has fallen below the .500 mark and is currently out of a playoff spot. The GM is convinced better times are ahead, but it's up to his players and coaching staff to make it happen.

"We have a group of guys who are playing for NHL contracts and we have a group of guys who are playing to get drafted and we have young guys who are playing for ice time," Parker added. "They need to play with some urgency and play with some pride and some desperation because we're in a dogfight. Simple as that. If they don't and we flounder down the stretch, then there will be repercussions based on them not getting things they want. There are things to play for and there are things to be achieved for all of us. Hopefully they recognize that. All of us as a group have to recognize that. We need to be better."
© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post