PDA

View Full Version : Look Ahead To Trade Deadline

Scout
01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Courtesy Alan Caldwell

Monday, January 5, 2009

Okay....idle speculation only, and this is just my opinion so it's worth exactly what you paid for it. But here's a quick look at what each team might be thinking of doing in the leadup to the trade deadline this Saturday.

I've listed the teams by conference, in order of the current standings....

Western Conference:

Vancouver: Probably don't need to do anything, seeing as how they and the Hitmen are running away with the league overall lead as it is. On the other hand, the Giants are a team that has never shied away from the big move either so I'd expect to see them do something, perhaps a 2nd/3rd line forward or 2nd/3rd pairing defenceman, just to add more depth to the team. All depends on the asking prices though, as (again) they don't HAVE to do anything, everyone else is already chasing them.

Tri-City: Last year's regular season champs are, right now, the #1 competition to the Giants for the West crown. I think they will be buyers as they try to put together a team that can take four out of seven from the Giants. They have top quality goaltending already and plenty of scoring punch, but I can see them making a move for a top defenceman, an offensive type because scoring from the blueline is not a strength of the Americans this year. Big price to be paid for a guy like that though.

Spokane: There are few better defensive teams in the league, but the Chiefs are a woeful 16th out of 22 teams in the scoring department, so I think they will be looking for a top-line forward to help rectify that situation and perhaps get them closer to knocking off Vancouver, which they need to do in order to get out of the West and defend their title. Broda in Moose Jaw is a great fit here, as is a guy like Bernhardt in Prince Albert. Bernhardt would mean the Chiefs have to move or drop an overage, likely Seth Compton, but Bernhardt also has almost twice as many points (on a poor team) as the highest scoring Chief. No changes needed to the Chiefs defence or goaltending, they are amongst the league's best in both areas.

Kelowna: Their biggest move this week might not cost them anything, if the rumours of Swedish WJC star and NHL first round pick Mikael Backlund leaving his Swedish mens team and joining the Rockets are true. Backlund could be a goal-a-game player in the WHL which would be a huge boost to the Rockets' chances of catching up to the Giants' level by playoff time. The Rockets would have to trade or release Lukas Matejka in order to add Backlund but that's a small price to pay for a player like Backlund. Apart from Backlund, you'd have to think the Rockets are looking to add a defenceman since they only have six on the roster right now and an injury (or two!) would be really hard on their blueliners. They don't need a top end guy because their top four are as good as anyone in the league's, but they could definitely use a veteran 3rd pairing kind of guy, the one who won't cost more than a mid-round pick or something like that. I know some fans are unhappy with Lazaruk in net but I don't think the Rockets are going to make any changes there.

Everett: Along with the next two teams, the Silvertips are probably in the West's group of teams that aren't contenders and have to decide whether to sell off assets, or add a player or two and try for a first round upset of the Chiefs, Ams, or Rockets. Personally, I think they'll all be looking to move players out. For the Tips, first out the door is probably goalie Shayne Barrie, who has lost his job to the newly acquired Thomas Heemskerk. Barrie might have value to a contender looking for a veteran backup. See Calgary and Lethbridge for details. I think the Tips might also be looking to move overage d-men Ellington and Potuer, not because they want to but because the demand (and prices) for veteran d-men will be so high this year. I also don't think Kyle Beach is going anywhere, although there might be some interest in him. He's only 18 and will be back in the WHL next year unless he makes the NHL's Blackhawks, which is something that seems less likely when you see how stacked the Blackhawks are looking these days.

Kamloops: Nick Ross is the big target here for a lot of contenders, I'm sure. A quality offensive defenceman and NHL first round pick, the Blazers would be fools not to be shopping Ross around in this seller's market for defencemen. I would be surprised if he were not moved for a big return....this is a guy Tri-City and Kelowna might be very interested in. There may also be interest in overage forward Brady Calla and 19 year old forward C.J. Stretch but on the other hand, Stretch should be back as an overage next year so the team might want to keep him.

Seattle: The Birds have 7 19 year olds, which is four too many for next year's overage spots. The big target here though is likely pro-bound defenceman Thomas Hickey, who would fetch an even bigger return than Ross if the Birds wanted to trade him. Same with 19 year old forward Jim O'Brien - he won't be back next year and could be attractive to a contender. Overage forward Greg Scott is another guy in that category with O'Brien. I guess the question is, with the new rink and all the home games in the 2nd half of the season, does Seattle want to throw in the towel by trading their best players? Or do they think that with some home cooking and a few more parts, they can get into the top half of this conference and make some playoff noise? Maybe they'll want to add a top-six forward in that case and give their suspect offence a jolt.

Prince George: Holding down the 8th playoff spot in the West right now but trail #7 by 8 points so realistically #8 might be the best they can do. In which case, a first round meeting with the Giants is probably not worth holding onto some vets for. Losing Dana Tyrell for the season really sucks for the Cougars as he would have been one of the primo trade targets and would have brought a really good return. There's also not really a lot here to move after Tyrell. Dallas Jackson on defence would bring some interest but maybe the Cougars want him as an overage next year. Cameron Cepek and Brian Matte might have some value too but they're average overagers you're not going to get much more than equal value for that. Might not be worth the trade. So other than maybe Jackson, I don't expect to see a lot of moves here.

Chilliwack: Same as the Cougars - they're in the race for the #8 spot but is a four game annihilation by the Giants worth not moving your valuable vets if you have a chance? There's four 19 year olds here who are all likely to be back next year and the Bruins can only keep three as overagers so they might very well move one or two of them. They are forwards Andy Smith, Matt Meropoulis, and Jadon Potter, and defenceman Jesse Craige. Potter broke his neck a few weeks back so he won' t be moved but the other three are all possibilities. Craige is the plum of the lot, a good 30-40 point puck moving defenceman with playoff experience who should have some good value to a contender - if the Bruins want to move him, that is. I wouldn't be surprised to see them not make a move either.

Portland: Ditto what I said for the Bruins. The Hawks could still make the playoffs (they'd be in 8th if they won two of their three games in hand on the Cougars) but they'll go four-and-out against the Giants in the first round. Better to move any valuable trade bait you have. And Portland has eight 19 year olds, which is five too many for next season, so they might as well trade a few of them if there's any interest. They are forwards Chris Francis, Nick Dietrich, and Radim Valchar, defencemen Travis Ehrhardt, Ryan Kerr, Brock Cornish, and Stefan Schneider, and goaltender Kurtis Mucha. I doubt there's any interest in Dietrich and Valchar's import status makes him tough to move but Francis is a good 2nd/3rd line forward for a contender and Kerr, Cornish, and Schneider are all good 4th/5th defencemen who shouldn't cost too much to acquire. (Cornish's injured status probably affects his tradability though!). Ehrhardt and Mucha are the more expensive of the bunch but they're also probably the ones the Hawks would rather keep to be quality overage leaders on what will hopefully be a playoff team next year. I'd expect to see the Hawks move at least one or two of these eight players anyway.

Eastern Conference:

Calgary: Similar to the Giants.....do they need to do anything? Do they risk messing up a good thing with some big additions? G.M. Kelly Kisio does not have a history of making blockbusters at the trade deadline so I wouldn't look for any big splashes here unless there was something too good to pass up. As with the Giants in the West, everyone else in the East is playing catch-up to the Hitmen now anyway so there's not tremendous pressure to make a deal. I do expect to see some deals to bring in another 4th/5th defenceman for depth & protection against injuries, and possibly a veteran goaltender to act as backup as well because they could be sunk if Martin Jones went down with injury. A guy like Barrie in Everett would be a good fit in that role since he just lost his job in Everett to Heemskerk and wouldn't cost that much.

Saskatoon: On paper, the best threat to Calgary in the East, having beaten the Hitmen twice this season. Probably would like to add another top-six forward and a top four defenceman would be nice too. On the other hand, their team should be good again next season so how much youth do they want to give up to try to win this year? Might not do as much as you'd think in that case. They do have overage forward Mike Reich at home waiting for a trade so there should be at least one move there, even if that move might only amount to sending Reich to Jr A.

Brandon: The pre-season favourites in the East along with Lethbridge, the Wheat Kings are doing better than the Canes but not where they thought they'd be contending-wise. Goaltending quality and depth on defence are the two biggest holes here, I think. They're definitely not hurting for scoring and should return almost all their top forwards again next year so there's no need for moves up front. But if they want to contend, they need to either find a #1 goalie or have one of their two existing guys seize the job finally. They also badly need a top-four defenceman or two as well, but the price for those guys is so high this year that the Wheaties might have to take a step back and decide whether instead of trying for a title this year, if they'd rather try to just win 1 or 2 rounds in the playoffs this year and tweak their team for next year's Memorial Cup hosting season instead. Given that, I would look for the Wheaties to maybe try and turn some of their 19 year olds, such as defenceman Keith Aulie, into 17 or 18 year olds at the same positions. Same with the forwards - Fehr, Calvert, Lewadniuk, Green, etc. They can't keep them all as overagers next year so if they can swap one out for a similar piece a year younger....why not?

Medicine Hat: Along with the next three teams, the Tigers are probably in a group of East teams who maybe aren't looking for a championship but feel they can win one, maybe two rounds in the playoffs at least and gain some experience for their younger players in the process. So, these teams could be either buyers or sellers depending on the market. If the Tigers decide to buy, they have an open overage spot and could use a veteran defenceman to replace Matt McCue. If they want to sell, they could trade snipers like Ennis or Bosch who aren't going to be back next year, but I just don't see them trading those guys. Maybe a defenceman like Tomas Kundratek, if anyone's interested in him. As a Euro though, his value might be a bit lower. Overall, I don't expect to see any major moves out of the Hat.

Swift Current: The Broncos do need to move an overager and it looks like it'll be defenceman Jesse Dudas, who is off the injured list and at home waiting for a trade. Dudas' size and two-way ability could fetch a decent price but his overage status and history of injuries is going to weigh against his value. Otherwise, I don't think the Broncos are going to be serious players at the deadline. They're about right where everyone expected them to be and they're not looking at significant losses for next season so at most a little tweaking of the age groups here and there perhaps.

Kootenay: Could probably get a huge return for defenceman John Negrin or forward Andrew Bailey if they decided to deal either one, but I don't see that happening. Without Negrin, the so-so Ice blueline would be even weaker and that alone could kill any Ice chances of a playoff round win. Bailey's a little more expendable perhaps but not by much as the team is already offensively challenged some nights. If the Ice were to be buyers, I think they'll be looking for depth on defence (this is a fairly common theme league-wide, isn't it?).

Regina: Have the Pats ever been sellers lately? They're just hanging onto a playoff spot right now by a couple points and I don't see them selling off any of their 19/20 year olds even though they could probably spare a 19 year old forward (Czibere, Leffler, Strueby, Cerveny) if they want to make their overage situation next year clearer. There will probably be a lot of interest in overage defenceman Victor Bartley if the Pats want to move him too. But the Pats have enough problems with lack of blueline depth that again, moving Bartley could seriously hurt their playoff chances. I'm sure they'd like to add a #4 or #5 defenceman instead.

Lethbridge: Despite their precarious playoff position right now (#8 in the conference, with teams nipping at their heels), I don't think the Canes are going to be sellers. If anything, they'll be buyers, as they have a team that is built to win this year with some very high quality 19 year olds and will require some rebuilding after this season. I think they really miss Luca Sbisa's puck-moving ability on the back end (and maybe Jesse Craige's too?) and could really benefit from picking up a top offensive defenceman, but the price for those is going to be astronomical. They have the snipers up front but those guys need someone to get them the puck other than Ben Wright. The other big need the Canes have is for a backup goalie. Since starter Juha Metsola left for the World Juniors, backup Michael Tadjdeh is 0-5 with a 6.27 GAA and .798 save percentage. Like the Hitmen with Jones, the Canes will be in big trouble without Metsola in net in the playoffs. They need a good veteran backup, not an expensive guy but a guy who can fill in for Metsola in a pinch and provide at least average quality goaltending. I still don' t know why they gave Torrie Jung away to Edmonton.

Prince Albert: So close to the playoffs.....tied with the Canes for the #8 right now actually, and one point back of Regina at #7. Selling off their best players could cripple any chances they have of getting one of those playoff spots. But, 3 of the Raiders' top 4 scorers are overage and they are going to lose all those guys next year. If they can get a prospect for Bernhardt, McDonald, or Robertson, a guy who's going to help them score next year, they should be considering the benefits of that over losing to Calgary or Saskatoon in the first round. Ditto on defence, where they have five 18/19 year olds. Not that they need to trade any of these guys but the market for defencemen is such that they can probably get a decent return for a guy like Garrett Thiessen, a guy who might not even be in the WHL next year as an overager.

Edmonton: The Oil Kings are so close to making the WHL playoffs for the first time in just their second year - two points out of a spot right now. They're also saved from some of the tough trade questions by the fact that they don't have many 19/20 year olds that (A) they want to part with and (B) have a lot of value to other teams. Overage forwards Jeff Lee and Brendan Dowd might have some interest around the league but they're overagers so their value is affected by that. For 19 year olds, I doubt the team is interested in trading Brett Breitkreuz or Craig McCallum when those guys will be back as overagers next year to lead the team offensively. But perhaps they might be interested in moving an 18 year old defenceman like Hlookoff or Van de Mosselaer though if the price is good from contending teams looking for 3rd-pairing depth.

Red Deer: I have no doubt the Rebels are sellers, but they don't have much to offer either, really. They are so young that there's not a lot of older veteran players that would have a lot of interest around the league. Defenceman Cullen Morin would be worth something, but they probably also want to keep him for next year. Forward Cody Gross is probably expendable as a 19 year old but also might not have as much value. So unless the Rebels want to start moving 18 year olds and giving the younger kids even more ice time, I don't think there's going to be much happening here.

Moose Jaw: Definitely sellers, as they are 13 points out of a playoff spot right now. They also own probably the league's #1 trade chip in 19 year old forward Joel Broda, who is the runaway league leader in the goals department this year with 35 at the moment. That's 7 more goals than the next highest total. Broda will no doubt attract a lot of interest from teams looking for that one more offensive weapon. His value is enhanced by the decent possibility that he'll be back as an overage next year since he's a mid-round NHL pick who's a late birthdate and doesn't have to be signed until 2010. So the price will be high. The only other player on the Warriors roster who I see attracting attention (and who the Tribe are likely willing to deal) would be overage forward Ian Duval, who has 40+ games of playoff experience and a point-a-game this year. I don't see the Warriors interested in moving Jason Bast or Ryan Stanton since they'll definitely be back next year to lead that team as overagers, and there probably isn't that much interest in other older Warriors like Filo, Karpov, or Grantham.

Scout

Scout
01-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Monday, January 5, 2009

First deal of trade deadline week is in today.....Saskatoon sends 17 year old forward Brody Sutter to Lethbridge for a 2009 5th round pick.

Scout

Scout
01-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan – The Prince Albert Raiders have acquired 20 year-old left winger Michael MacAngus from the Regina Pats in exchange for 20 year-old left winger Matt Robertson. The Raiders also acquire the Pats’ 4th round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.

MacAngus will be joining his third WHL team, after the Pats acquired him from the Saskatoon Blades during the 2006-07 season. In his fourth year in the WHL, MacAngus contributed 10 points in 10 playoff games for the Pats in their 06-07 playoff run and has 26 games WHL post season experience. This season MacAngus was fifth in Pats scoring with 11 goals and 17 assists in 44 games.

Robertson, whom the Raiders listed in April, 2006, was the WHL Eastern Conference Rookie of the Year in 2006-07 when he had 64 points in 69 games to lead the Raiders in scoring. Last year Robertson tied for the team lead in scoring with 59 points. In 08-09 Robertson was fourth in team scoring with 15 goals and 19 assists in 44 games.

“It is very difficult to lose a player and person of the quality of Matt Robertson and we wish him all the very best in Regina”, said Raiders General Manager and Head Coach Bruno Campese. “In Michael MacAngus we acquire size, toughness and a player that has been consistent with his point production through the years.”

Regina Pats General Manager Brent Parker, “We felt we needed to be quicker and improve our power play and this deal addresses both areas. Michael MacAngus is a tremendous young man and we wish him all off the best in Prince Albert and in his future endeavors.”

Scout

dagley
01-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Brandon definitely isn't going to be trading Aulie. He will be back next year, the Flames are deep on the backend, even on the farm team. Plus, I am sure Sutter would love to see him continue to develop in junior, especially with the Memorial Cup next season. Everyone else, besides the obvious (Schenn, Glennie, etc) are untouchable, everyone else...fair game.

sbtatter
01-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Brandon definitely isn't going to be trading Aulie. He will be back next year, the Flames are deep on the backend, even on the farm team. Plus, I am sure Sutter would love to see him continue to develop in junior, especially with the Memorial Cup next season. Everyone else, besides the obvious (Schenn, Glennie, etc) are untouchable, everyone else...fair game.
I doubt whether Aulie and Calvert will be back. There's not much sentiment in hockey to help out a team hosting a championship. look at the Thrashers, we took Stone from them even tough they're hosting the telus cup this year.....

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I doubt whether Aulie and Calvert will be back. There's not much sentiment in hockey to help out a team hosting a championship. look at the Thrashers, we took Stone from them even tough they're hosting the telus cup this year.....

Both Hall and Stone had their chance to win it last year and didn't, but it's the experience that we benefit from. If Aulie and Calvert can play in that type of atmosphere with so much on the line, it will help their development. Unless Sutter wants Aulie on the Flames roster, there isn't much point in having him play in the AHL when he can experience the Memorial Cup. Really, whats 1 year more?

dagley
01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Memorial Cup is much more prestigious then the Telus Cup

Joe Hallenback
01-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Aulie and Calvert will not be back next year if they both sign contracts with their NHL teams

I heard a strong Rumor of Aulie heading to a team in the west not named the Giants for draft picks + help AFTER this year is done

dagley
01-06-2009, 02:32 PM
What do you mean help after this year is done?

Scout
01-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Another trade this morning, from the Raiders website. The Raiders and Cougars swap 17 year old forwards, with Ryan Kowalski headed to Prince Albert and Robbie Ciolfi headed to Prince George.

Ciolfi is not currently in the WHL, he is in the AJHL after failing to stick with the Raiders out of training camp. We'll see if he joins the Cougars now.

Scout

Scout
01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
1st round pick Kyle Beach and D-man Mike Alexander acquired by Hurricanes

Lethbridge, AB – Lethbridge Hurricanes General Manager, Roy Stasiuk, announced this afternoon the Canes have traded forward Dan Iwanski and defenseman Alex Theriau; along with a 1st round draft pick in the 2009 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft to the Everett Silvertips in exchange for 89-born defenseman Mike Alexander and 2008 NHL first round draft pick Kyle Beach. This deal follows in the wake of another trade completed yesterday afternoon which saw 91-born forward Brody Sutter acquired from the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for a 5th round pick in the 2009 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

Beach was drafted in the 1st round (11th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks this past summer. This season, Beach tallied 30 points (9G, 21A) in 30 games and has amassed 106 penalty minutes. Known as a skilled power forward Beach’s numbers speak for themselves. In 06-07, he was named the WHL Rookie of the Year; totaling 61 points (29G, 32A) in 65 games, while leading the Silvertips with 196 penalty minutes. He then continued his solid play last season with 60 points (27G, 33A) in 60 games and a team leading 222 penalty minutes.

“Obviously, Kyle [Beach] joining our program is going to add some more bite to our game.” said Stasiuk “He is a big power forward he goes to the net very hard and I think he might be good inspiration and a good role model for some of our younger players in terms of how hard you have to play, battle every night and really be a thorn under your opponents skin.”

Alexander is an 89-born defenseman whom Lethbridge expects to make an impact on their defensive corps. With the anticipated return of Max Ross from injury, this move gives the Canes a rock solid group of defenseman led by captain Ben Wright 2008 second round NHL draft pick Eric Mestery, 2009 NHL Draft prospect Brennan Yadlowski and over age Mitch Versteeg. At 5’10”, 206 pounds Alexander brings with him strength and experience with 135 WHL games under his belt. He has already set career highs this season with 12 points (3G, 9A) and 45 penalty minutes.

“We are really excited to have both Kyle and Mike [Alexander] join our program” said Stasiuk “They are coming from a strong program in Everett and if nothing else it sends a message to Zach Boychuk to Ben Wright and some of our other veterans; that we are quite serious about contending for a championship this season.”

Sutter is expected to arrive in time for practice tomorrow (Wednesday) while Beach and Alexander are expected to arrive in Lethbridge later this week as the team prepares for their Friday night matchup with the Prince Albert Raiders.

Scout

Joe Hallenback
01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Thats a strange trade

Vik
01-06-2009, 07:14 PM
What do you mean help after this year is done?
Someone who will be here next season, unlike Aulie.

Joe Hallenback
01-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Someone who will be here next season, unlike Aulie.

Exactly

If you look at the contenders and what they have to offer for Aulie

Vancouver
Tri-City
Spokane
Calgary

What exactly would Brandon want back? probably at least 2 players that are 16 or 17 right now with good upside

Would Tri-City package youngsters like Gardiner and Macek for Aulie?

aaAlta
01-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Bob might disagree, but I'd say yes to that. Or two good 17 Fs (excluding Hughey) or a 17F and a high pick (to keep all 16s). Plus Tri might as well throw in a depth D to the bargain. But I got the impression that Brandon was going to contend down the stretch, in which case you'd want to keep Aulie, even if just for the rest of this year.

Joe Hallenback
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
The Thing is they have been playing pretty good without Aulie and he will for sure not be back next year for the Memorial cup. McCrimmon is pretty savvy when it comes to trading players and the few people I have talked to make it sound like Try-City is a destination for him if the price is right.

aaAlta
01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
BWKs could probably get quite a bit for that possible. The value for Tri in getting a high end D is big.

Fight Guy
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Sounds like the Flames signed him today.

Scout
01-08-2009, 06:23 AM
COMPTON, DRAFT CHOICE ACQUIRED FROM CHIEFS

January 7th, 2009 – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

KAMLOOPS, BC – The Kamloops Blazers announce tonight the completion of a trade with the Spokane Chiefs which sees the Blazers add 20-year-old forward Seth Compton and a 3rd round selection in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft in exchange for 20-year-old forward Brady Calla.

"Seth is a player who works tremendously hard on every shift and has the experience of winning a Memorial Cup with the Chiefs last season," says General Manager and Vice President Craig Bonner. "We look forward to his contributions for the remainder of the season."

Compton hails from West Richland, Washington and is in his 5th season in the WHL - all with the Chiefs. The 5'10", 170-pound left shooting centreman has 5 goals and 13 points in 39 games with Spokane. He has played a total of 265 games in his WHL career with 31 goals and 63 points.

"We also thank Brady for his efforts in his time as a member of our organization," says Bonner. "We wish him all the best with his new opportunity in Spokane."

Scout

Scout
01-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Cuurtesy Alan Caldwell

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Another blockbuster

Second major trade of the day tonight, this one between the Hitmen and Warriors and involving Joel Broda, who was probably the top trade bait out there at the deadline.

The Hitmen pick up Broda (who leads the WHL with 36 goals in 39 games) and fellow 19 year old forward Tomas Karpov, in exchange for 18 year old forward Brendan Rowinski and Calgary's 2009 2nd and 7th round picks.

Rowinski was Calgary's 2005 first round bantam pick and is having a breakout year offensively this year with 31 points in 33 games for the Hitmen. Karpov looks like almost a throw-in, a 2nd year player who brings speed to the table but not much else - 23 points last year and only 12 this year so far.

Brakes on Backlund

Rockets fans might want to hold off on the purchase of their "Backlund" Ogopogo jerseys....he has been added to the NHL Flames' roster this afternoon and may or may not play for the Flames tonight against the visiting N.Y. Islanders.

Even if he does play, I would still expect to see him sent to the Rockets by Saturday. But what if he plays and scores a couple goals tonight.....

Ice-Hitmen blockbuster

Kootenay sends 18 year old forward Kris Foucault to the Hitmen for 18 year old forward Ryan Fox.

Foucault is currently in the AJHL after starting the season in Kootenay. No word on whether he'll join the Hitmen or stay in the AJHL. Fox was a 4th liner for the Hitmen and might get more icetime in Cranbrook.

More notes

Overage defenceman Matt McCue is apparently returning to the Medicine Hat Tigers despite signing an NHL contract with Anaheim last week and being assigned to their AHL affiliate. Turns out the need for him in the AHL is not as great as the Ducks first thought and so they are going to let him finish out the season in the WHL. Good news for the Tigers.

And in the OHL, TSN is reporting that John Tavares has been traded to the London Knights by the Oshawa Generals. Tavares and two other players, including defenceman Michael Del Zotto (a 2008 NHL first rounder) are off to the Knights for three players, FOUR second round OHL draft picks and two third round draft picks.

That's six draft picks in the first three rounds of the draft, plus three 16 & 17 year old prospects, that the Knights are giving up for half a season of Tavares. Granted, they get Del Zotto too and he's not chopped liver, but that's a massive price to pay.

Oh, and the wonderful new WHL site is down again. Good job, WHL! Try having your developers do a little TESTING next time, especially if you're going to make a major change in midseason, right before the freakin trade deadline when every junior hockey fan in western North America will be trying to get onto the site for news and stats. Jeez.

Giants/Blazers deal

The Bonner brothers birthed a blockbuster this morning.....Kamloops sends 19 year old defenceman Nick Ross and 19 year old forward Alex Rodgers to Vancouver for 18 year old defenceman Curtis Kulchar and three draft picks - 3rd and 4th rounders in 2009 and a 2nd rounder in 2010.

Now, either the price for good defencemen like Ross is not as steep as we've been lead to believe (supposedly it was a first round pick, a prospect, and a defenceman off your current roster), or Craig Bonner got taken to the cleaners by his brother in Vancouver. Granted, Nick Ross has some holes in his game which probably make him worth less than say, a Hickey or a Negrin, but Kulchar is a 4th/5th defenceman at most and those 3rd/4th round picks are going to be at the very bottom of those two rounds since Vancouver will almost certainly be either 1st or 2nd overall when the season is over.

Rodgers is a guy whose game probably hasn't progressed very much in the last year and a half, but he's still a 50 point guy who will be back in the league as an overager. So, I have to be liking this trade if I'm a Giants fan.

Rockets pick up overager

Another trade this morning....Kelowna has sent 18 year old forward Dylan Hood to Moose Jaw for overage tough guy Ryley Grantham and a 2011 (!!!) 5th round pick.

Kelowna had an open overage spot so they don't have to move anyone out to make room for Grantham. He won't add a lot of offence to the Rockets but he'll make everyone else on that team play an inch taller.

Thursday stuff

One more trade was made late last night, with Spokane upgrading one of their overage spots by picking up forward Brady Calla from Kamloops for Seth Compton and a 2010 3rd round pick. The addition of Calla, along with the return of Ondrej Roman, should give the Chiefs' offence a big boost. Maybe they won't need to pursue any of the big names available after all.

It cost the Blazers a 2009 4th round pick to Moose Jaw when Calla unexpectedly returned from the AHL earlier this year, so picking up the 2010 3rd rounder recoups that loss.

Speaking of Moose Jaw, they added a potential impact player for free, with 18 year old forward Matt MacKay opting to leave the AJHL's Calgary Canucks and join the Tribe. MacKay (the son of 80's Warriors star Mark MacKay) has been a point-a-game player in the Jr A ranks for the last two seasons so he should be able to add some scoring punch to the Warriors right away.

And in Tri-City, the Ams have sent their 2006 first round bantam pick, Jason Gardiner, down to the Manitoba Jr A ranks. Gardiner broke his leg earlier this season and the Ams want him to get more playing time as he recovers than what he'd get in Tri-City down the stretch, so he's off to the Selkirk Steelers of the MJHL. He'll rejoin the Americans later this year once Selkirk's season is over.....assuming the Americans are still playing longer than Selkirk does. The Steelers are one of the top teams in the MJHL so who knows, they could make a long playoff run.

Scout

rednex50
01-09-2009, 12:34 AM
S.C. picked up Liam Darragh from the Bruins...just in. So fresh, no word on the return. Will update

Scout
01-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Broncos and Bruins Trade Forwards

January 9, 2009

The Chilliwack Bruins have acquired 18 year old forward Matt Ius from the Swift Current Broncos in exchange for 18 year old forward Liam Darragh.

Ius was originally selected by the Everett Silvertips in the second round (30th overall) of the 2005 Bantam Draft. In 98 games with with Everett and Swift Current, the 6’2”, 210 pound right wing from Pitt Meadows BC has scored seven goals and eight assists.

Darragh, from Quesnel BC, has 2 goals and 4 assists for 6 points along with 60 penalty minutes in 39 games this season with the Bruins. Darragh is 6’4” and 200 pounds and is in his second full season in the WHL. He was listed by the Bruins in 2006 after playing with the Princeton Posse in the KIJHL (Junior B) in British Columbia.

“Matt is a big strong forward who plays physical. We feel he has good offensive potential as well and in the right situation should be able to help us offensively,” commented Bruins General Manager Darrell May. “We would like to thank Liam for his contributions to the Bruins. He is a fine young man and we wish him the best.”

Assistant General Manager Elden Moberg says: "Liam adds size and strength and a physical element to our line-up up front, and at 18 he has the potential to be with us for the next couple of seasons."

Scout

Scout
01-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Regina Aquires Jesse Dudas from Swift Current

January 9, 2009

Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats are pleased to announce the acquisition of defenceman Jesse Dudas from the Swift Current Broncos in exchange for a 4th round pick in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

Dudas suffered a knee injury at Oilers training camp this fall and was the odd man out in the 20 year old situation with the Broncos, so he hasn’t played in a WHL game yet this season. In 2007-08 he has 5 goals and 30 assists with both the Prince George Cougars and the Swift Current Broncos.

Jesse Dudas
Defenceman
6’2” 215
Hometown: St.Albert, Alta.
2007-08 Cougars/Broncos
5g 30a 35pts 106pim

Regina Pats General Manager Brent Parker, “We are excited to add a veteran top four defenceman of Jesse’s ability. We will give our power play an immediate boost and we look forward to getting him in our line-up.”

With the pick-up of Dudas, and the acquisition of Matt Robertson earlier this week, it gives the Pats their full compliment of 3 twenty year-olds. It’s the Pats intention to have Dudas in the line-up Sunday night at 6pm against the Edmonton Oil Kings.

Scout

Scout
01-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Broncos acquire Morgan Clark from Rebels
January 9, 2009

Swift Current Broncos General Manager Dean Chynoweth announced that the club has acquired 18 year old goaltender Morgan Clark from the Red Deer Rebels in exchange for a 5th round bantam draft selection in 2010.

Clark, from Highland Village Texas, is in his third WHL season. He is 6'1" 158 pounds and is a 7th round selection of the Vancouver Canucks in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Clark has 23 WHL wins with the Rebels.

Morgan Clark
DOB: February 17, 1990
Hometown: Highland Village, TX
HT: 6’1”
WT: 160lbs

Year Team League GP MIN GA SO GAA Record
2006-07 Red Deer WHL 21 1015 55 1 3.25 9-5-1-1
2007-08 Red Deer WHL 47 2513 155 1 3.70 10-30-0-3
2008-09 Red Deer WHL 20 957 60 0 3.76 4-9-0-2
WHL Totals 88 4485 270 2 3.61 23-44-1-6

Scout

Scout
01-10-2009, 09:08 AM
This trade the Broncos made for Clark tells me the Broncos have another trade being announced. There is no way they can carry three goalies. Which will be gone? Googs or Yonkman?

Scout

dagley
01-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Yonks

Scout
01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
The Swift Current Broncos have traded Bronco goaltender Mark Guggenberger to the Kelowna Rockets for a 5th round pick in 2010.

Scout

Scout
01-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Courtesy Alan Caldwel

Saturday, January 10, 2009

All quiet on the western front

It's 20 past noon here in Calgary, just under 3 hours til the deadline. Nothing happening yet today though, but I expect that to change in the next couple hours.

We know Swift Current needs to move a goaltender, either Travis Yonkman or Mark Guggenberger. The grapevine has Yonkman heading to Kelowna....which would have to trigger another trade involving Kris Lazaruk leaving Kelowna.

Another deal that has to happen today is the Rockets need to move an import, probably Lukas Matejka, so that they have a roster spot for Mikael Backlund when the Calgary Flames assign Backlund to the Rockets.

Red Deer did add another goalie to their roster to replace Morgan Clark, who they dealt last night. They have summoned 16 year old Cam Gorchynski from his AAA midget team, the Fraser Valley Bruins.

Scout

dagley
01-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Swift Current is definitely dealing.

-Kootenay Ice trade D John Negrin (19) and F Michael Stickland (19) to the Swift Current Broncos for F Christian Magnus (16), D James Martin (17) and 2nd and 4th-round picks in 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

Huge picking up Negrin and Stickland

LifelongChiefsFan
01-10-2009, 04:51 PM
If this was it, then I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed. I expected much more for trade deadline day.

There could be a few more trades that haven't been announced I suppose, but it doesn't appear as if there's anything else that happened today.

Scout
01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Broncos and Ice complete big trade including John Negrin

January 10, 2009 [
(Swift Current--SK) Swift Current Broncos General Manager Dean Chynoweth announced that the club has acquired 19 year old defenseman John Negrin and 19 year old forward Michael Stickland from the Kootenay Ice in exchange for: 16 year old forward Christian Magnus, 17 year old defenseman James Martin and the Broncos 2nd and 4th round bantam picks in 2010.

Chynoweth says “We've added two players to our line-up that will make an immediate impact. John is one of the most complete defensemen in the league who can play in all situations and log significant ice time. Michael adds speed, work ethic, and added scoring punch up front."

"In doing so, we had to give up two quality young guys in Christian and James. We wish them all the best in Kootenay."

Negrin is a 2nd round selection by Calgary in the 2007 draft and is signed by the Flames. He has 5 goals and 31 points in 37 games this season with the Ice. Negrin is 6’2” 190 lbs from West Vancouver, BC and played in the ADT Canada/Russia Challenge game in Swift Current in November.

Stickland, a 5’11” forward from Red Deer Alberta, has 13 goals and 25 points in 42 games this season, his 3rd in the WHL. Stickland had 22 goals and 50 points last season in Kootenay.

Scout

Scout
01-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Moose Jaw trades Duval to Kelowna for Paradis

January 10, 2009

The Moose Jaw Warriors have acquired 17 year old left winger Jesse Paradis from the Kelowna Rockets in exchange for Warriors’ 20 year old forward Ian Duval.

Paradis, the 6’1, 182 pounder from Winnipeg, MB, has spent his entire WHL career with the Kelowna Rockets. He was selected by the Rockets in the fourth round in the 2006 Bantam Draft. As a rookie last season with the Rockets, Jesse played in 40 games and compiled 10 points. In his last year in midget, Jesse played with the Winnipeg AAA Hawks where he tailed 27 goals and 61 points in only 36 games. This season Paradis has notched 3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points.

“He is a hard working two-way forward. He will add some size and physical play to our lineup. We feel he has offensive upside given his Midget AAA statistics and believe he can achieve similar success as he continues to develop and make the necessary adjustments to the Western Hockey League,” commented General Manager Chad Lang.

Kelowna Rockets President/General Manager Bruce Hamilton says, “It’s always difficult to move a young players like Jesse who came to our organization as a draft pick, however we had the opportunity to get an experienced centre in Ian Duval. With the current roster, Jesse would likely see limited ice time down the stretch. I think in the best interest of Jesse, he’s going to a team that will give him the opportunity to play regularly and develop the way he wants. We wish him all the best.”

Duval is a 6’0, 183 pound centre from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Originally selected in the seventh round of the WHL Bantam Draft in 2003 by the Regina Pats, Duval is in his fifth season in the Western Hockey League, and has played 305 career regular season games and has compiled 76 goals and 172 points. He has played in 42 career playoff games as well, scoring three times and recording 10 points.

“In Ian Duval,” continues Hamilton, “We get a player that has been in the league for the past four years and will play in all situations. One of his strengths is his speed and we are looking forward to him joining our team.”

Jesse Paradis
Position: LW
Shoots: L
Height: 6’1
Weight: 182lbs
Birthdate: January 6, 1991
Hometown: Winnipeg, MB

Regular Season Stats
Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2006-07 WHL Season Kelowna Rockets 3 0 0 0 -1 0
2007-08 Regular Season Kelowna Rockets 40 1 9 10 0 10
2008-09 Regular Season Kelowna Rockets 36 3 5 8 1 38

IAN DUVAL POSITION – Centre
HOMETOWN – Winnipeg, MB (May 7, 1988)
HEIGHT – 6’0 WEIGHT - 183

2007/2008 Regular Season
GP - 31
Goals - 14
Assists - 17
Points - 31
PIMs - 20

Scout

Scout
01-10-2009, 05:33 PM
WHL Trade Deadline 2009 Archives ?>Portland acquires rights to Brandl from Prince Albert

January 10, 2009

The Portland Winter Hawks have acquired the rights to left winger Max Brandl from Prince Albert in exchange for an eighth round draft pick in the 2010 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

Brandl, a 20 year-old overage player, will join the Winter Hawks once he receives the proper immigration clearance.

The 6’0”, 186-pound left winger has split this season between German teams Ingolstadt ERC and the Landshut Cannibals. Last season Brandl played 65 games for the Prince Albert Raiders, and tallied 16 goals and 17 assists for 33 total points, along with 60 penalty minutes.

Scout

Scout
01-10-2009, 05:36 PM
2009 WHL Trade Deadline Recap

January 10:
-Portland Winter Hawks trade the rights of D Bo Montgomery (18) to the Medicine Hat Tigers for a conditional 5th-round pick at the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

-Prince Albert Raiders trade the rights of F Max Brandl (20) to the Portland Winter Hawks for 8th-round pick in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

-Moose Jaw Warriors trade F Ian Duval (20) to the Kelowna Rockets for F Jesse Paradis (17).

-Kootenay Ice trade D John Negrin (19) and F Michael Stickland (19) to the Swift Current Broncos for F Christian Magnus (16), D James Martin (17) and 2nd and 4th-round picks in 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

-Swift Current Broncos trade G Mark Guggenberger (19) to the Kelowna Rockets for a conditional 5th-round pick in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

January 9:
-Red Deer Rebels trade G Morgan Clark (18) to the Swift Current Broncos for 5th-round pick in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

-Swift Current Broncos trade D Jesse Dudas (20) to the Regina Pats for 4th-round pick in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

-Chilliwack Bruins traded F Liam Darragh (18) to the Swift Current Broncos for F Matt Ius (18).

January 8:
- Moose Jaw Warriors traded F Joel Broda (19) and F Tomas Karpov (19) to the Calgary Hitmen for F Brendan Rowinski (18) and 2nd and 7th-round picks in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.

- Kamloops Blazers traded F Alex Rodgers (19) and D Nick Ross (19) to the Vancouver Giants for D Curtis Kulchar (18), 3rd and 4th-round picks in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft and a 2nd-round pick in the 2010 WHL bantam Draft.

- Moose Jaw Warriors traded F Ryley Grantham (20) and a 5th-round pick in the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft to the Kelowna Rockets for F Dylan Hood (18).

January 7:
- Kamloops Blazers traded F Brady Calla (20) to Spokane Chiefs for F Seth Compton (20) and a 3rd-round pick in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

January 6:
- Prince Albert Raiders traded F Robbie Ciolfi (17) to Prince George Cougars for F Ryan Kowalski (17).

- Prince Albert Raiders traded F Matt Robertson (20) to Regina Pats for F Michael MacAngus (20) and a 4th-round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.

- Everett Silvertips traded F Kyle Beach (18) and D Mike Alexander (19) to Lethbridge Hurricanes for F Dan Iwanski (18), D Alex Theriau (16), and a 1st-round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.

January 5:
- Saskatoon Blades traded F Brody Sutter (17) to Lethbridge Hurricanes for a 5th-round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.
Tags: Trade Deadline Recap

Scout