PDA

View Full Version : What to do at the Deadline?

Broncs in RD
01-07-2009, 02:14 AM
If we are buyers this year.
Get Bernhardt from PA-adds goal scoring, speed
Get Grantham from MJ-adds toughness
Trade Dudas to Kelowna for St. Denis and a pick
Trade 20 y/o dman and 18 y/o forward to Chilliwack for Howse
Then Trade our pick from Kelowna and 19 y/o dman to Seattle for Acolatse
This is my perfect world.

Dans-Tassone-Dowling
Bernhardt-Eakin-Howse
Vause-Peddle-Wagner
Grantham-Dalecky-Magnus/St.Denis

Doyle-Acolatse
Claffey-Hewett
Rogers-Martin
Evans

If we are sellers.
Trade Dans to Saskatoon for Brent Benson
Trade Doyle to a contender (bidding war) could get lots for him.
Sign Habs as GM and coach.

Toswammi
01-07-2009, 07:37 AM
I know i am in the minority this year, but i really don't think we should do much. If anything we should be adding a quality 18 yr old defenseman, dealing some 19 yr olds away, and strengthen the future.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
As a 20, a whiner and a injury prone player, you'll be lucky to get a 8th round bantam pick for Dudas.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-07-2009, 01:05 PM
As a 20, a whiner and a injury prone player, you'll be lucky to get a 8th round bantam pick for Dudas.

You would think that, but its going to depend on how many teams want to get him. Considering how good of a player he is, issues aside, it is likely going to require more than a low pick.

..maybe a mid rounder.

If we are buyers this year.
Get Bernhardt from PA-adds goal scoring, speed
Get Grantham from MJ-adds toughness
Trade Dudas to Kelowna for St. Denis and a pick
Trade 20 y/o dman and 18 y/o forward to Chilliwack for Howse
Then Trade our pick from Kelowna and 19 y/o dman to Seattle for Acolatse
This is my perfect world.

Dans-Tassone-Dowling
Bernhardt-Eakin-Howse
Vause-Peddle-Wagner
Grantham-Dalecky-Magnus/St.Denis

Doyle-Acolatse
Claffey-Hewett
Rogers-Martin
Evans

If we are sellers.
Trade Dans to Saskatoon for Brent Benson
Trade Doyle to a contender (bidding war) could get lots for him.
Sign Habs as GM and coach.

As ideal as this might be from a Broncos POV, I dont see any of the GMs in the league accepting any of these proposals.

And though you could get alot for Doyle, it wouldnt be smart to trade him considering the lack of offensive depth on the blueline, and the fact that he would be back next year.

Topshelf
01-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I think we need a guy like Dana Tyrell or Jamie Benn, a offensive player that can hit and grind just like Weise used to do, we need a guy that can get in front of the net and create havoc, just a side note, did anyone else realize how Brandon played a 1-3-1 PP last night as Team Canada did, it seems to be pretty affective.

Flathead
01-07-2009, 03:06 PM
I like the last line of Broncs post and what Toswammi said.

Johnsy05
01-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I know i am in the minority this year, but i really don't think we should do much. If anything we should be adding a quality 18 yr old defenseman, dealing some 19 yr olds away, and strengthen the future.

Not at all i agree with this 100% we know they broncos don't have a realistic chance at making it real far in the playoffs so why not trade off one of the tendy's preferably yonks... and one of our veteran d-man.. molle or macavoy... could we get anything for macavoy? im thinking not likely

Johnsy05
01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I think we need a guy like Dana Tyrell or Jamie Benn, a offensive player that can hit and grind just like Weise used to do, we need a guy that can get in front of the net and create havoc, just a side note, did anyone else realize how Brandon played a 1-3-1 PP last night as Team Canada did, it seems to be pretty affective.

I can't see kelowna parting with Benn Seeing as kelowna will be making a run for the cup themselves and i think the cost of either one of these players would be wayyyy to steep

Broncs in RD
01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
If we don't have a chance I say trade our assets which are prob 2-3 of our 19's, plus 2 20's.

Scout
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Keen's Korner

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

With the trade deadline approaching one has to ask where the Broncos fit into the Eastern Conference playoff picture.

With Calgary looking solid as a rock on top, Brandon and Saskatoon are trying to create a two-horse race for the east division lead, and Lethbridge loading up for a playoff run, what's the right course of action for the Broncos?

Right now the Broncos have proven they are at least in the 2nd flight along with Medicine Hat, Kootenay and Regina. Don't count out teams like Prince Albert and Edmonton jumping into the flight as well with their play of late.

What would the Broncos need to be able to compete at the top? I asked Broncos Head Coach/GM Dean Chynoweth last night what he would like to add (at the right price) to the team before Saturday's trade deadline:

"If we could get another top six forward it would give us some depth up-front. I would also be open to seeing what else is out there on the back-end to maybe acquire another defenseman.

Past that, I think our group has had a good stretch where our young guys played good early in the season and I'm not real crazy in dismantling that.

We will keep our ears open and see what may come about."

I agree with Dean's assessment of what is needed. Goaltending is strong, defense is almost there but could use another battle proven veteran and the team is pretty young up-front after the Tassone/Dowling/Dansereau top unit.

On the flip side I asked Brandon Wheat Kings Head Coach/GM his deadline plans. I asked if they would look to upgrade their goaltending and add a proven playoff 'tender. His response was typical Kelly:

"I'm not privy to your sources so I don't know where you're coming from with your goaltending but you've surprised me before Jon.

I don't see us doing a lot really. We are encouraged with our play as of late and we're working real hard to try and finish as high in the conference as we can.

Recognize there are a lot of strong teams aside from the obvious which on our side is Calgary. At some point you have to go through Calgary at some point and with the Memorial Cup a year from now, we also have to be mindful of that and it ties our hands."

What will today bring? Stay tuned.

----------------------

Jon
www.jonkeen.blogspot.com

Scout

Toswammi
01-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Sad reality is we are not in the same talent level as Calgary, Lethbridge, Brandon or Saskatoon in the East Conf. Also the Pats will do their yearly attempt to win something (which will lead to their annual January training camp).
That doesn't include the West.
So we may as well continue to build around our 16-18 yr old talent.
Ideally if we could get an amazing 16/17 yr old tender it would be a good deadline.

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
01-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Speaking of young goalies, does anyone know much more about this Andrew Hunt kid? Found a recent article on the WHL's website.

Broncos Prospect Andrew Hunt named B.C. Major Midget League Player of the Month
January 7, 2009 []

BC Hockey announced today that Greater Vancouver Canadians goaltender Andrew Hunt has been named the Major Midget League Player of the Month for December. Hunt finished the month of December with a 2-0 record, a 1.00 GAA and a .980 save percentage. In addition to his outstanding play Andrew is a mentor to the young goalies in the Surrey Minor Hockey Association working with Pee Wee and Bantam goalies in his spare time.

“He has been instrumental in helping the Canadians have a 3-0-1 record in the month of December,” said Canadian’s head coach Matt Erhart. “Andrew and fellow goalie Alex Wind have been a key part in the team been unbeaten in the months of November and December.”

As well as being named Player of the Month, Hunt will receive a gift from Mission-Itech on his selection.

Andrew Hunt was chosen from a high calibre list of nominees for this prestigious award. The runners up in no particular order are as follows:
· North Island Silvertips – Teagan Waugh
· Vancouver North West Giants – Khaleed Devji
· Fraser Valley Bruins – Justin Kirsch
· Valley West Hawks – Laurent Brossoit
· Kootenay Ice – no nomination
· Vancouver North East Chiefs – Silvan Harper
· Okanagan Rockets – Connor Barrie
· Cariboo Cougars – Josh Garneau
· South Island Thunderbirds – Sam Rice
· Thompson Blazers – Cam Bougealt

The BC Hockey Major Midget League was established in 2004 to provide elite level 15, 16 and 17 year olds an opportunity to play within their own age group. Playing at this high level and be developed for the next level of hockey. These teams have an opportunity each year to compete for the National Midget Championship.

d-man
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
The first concern Dean should have is whether or not this team can make the playoffs. 8-10 place is only 7 points away from us and that lead can disappear very quickly when teams like Regina have Eberle, Teubert & Weal back, Lethbridge has beefed up, PA is playing some good hockey right now. Just to financially break even we have to make the playoffs. I think were short another responsible shut down defenseman from holding our own. Goalies are reliable and we have vets and youth up front that can score.
Second concern is the overage situation next year. 20yo will be Tassone, Doyle, Claffey, Molle, Guggenberger, Toulmin? Even if Toulmin is traded/released this season to me Molle is still the obvious odd man out next year unless pro deals happen for some of the others. Plus he is far from the shutdown defenseman we need. Any combination of Molle, Toulmin, Dudas and draft picks should get us what we need. Stamler and Dudas cost next to nothing last year and were great.

Link Dog
01-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Look at what a team will have to go through just to get out of the eastern conference let alone the west. This team is not at that level. If we aren't getting past the first round, trade the 20 yr old assets and any 19 yr olds who won't fit in the picture for next year.

Johnsy05
01-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Look at what a team will have to go through just to get out of the eastern conference let alone the west. This team is not at that level. If we aren't getting past the first round, trade the 20 yr old assets and any 19 yr olds who won't fit in the picture for next year.

I agree!! I know some would like to see the broncos make there usual 1st or second round exit every year but to me why not build on what we have and the possibilities for a good team next year are looking good not to mention the year after that i think we could make a real run at the cup

scbfan
01-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I personaly think Yonkman is a great goaltender so we should give him a chance at a memorial cup!Even if that means trading him,he has given everything he can since he arrived in Swift!

ointhecreek
01-07-2009, 11:37 PM
As long as we have a competitive team. This city will not support a losing team for long. We will be back to 1600 people a game again and won't make it. Other markets with large populations can do it because they will have larger crowds but we just don't have the market. The Broncos and volunteers fight and claw tooth and nail for a 2200 crowd and we need the extra money that comes from a round or 2 of the playoffs. I would like to see us on top but with 22 teams in the league with bigger populations it's pretty tough to do. As long as we are competitive and winning more then losing and the boys are giving an honest effort I'm happy.

Toswammi
01-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Honestly say i havn't heard any talk of this Hunt kid until now (most likely an undrafted list player then). But my favorite piece of that write up on him was about the time he spends helping out younger goalies in the area.

Toswammi
01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Rumor has it that Regina is making a strong push to get dudas

ointhecreek
01-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Rumor has it that Regina is making a strong push to get dudas
It would give us a chance to let him know how we feel and boo him. Bum.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
It would give us a chance to let him know how we feel and boo him. Bum.

It can only add to the rivalry! :)

stick boy
01-08-2009, 02:06 PM
It would be interesting to see Dudas and Eberle's first encounter after Eberle's cheapshot last season that broke Dudas' wrist in the playoffs

witness
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Good God!
You could skate by Dudas and the breeze would break something.

Toswammi
01-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I had an interesting chat at work today with a fan. The just of it was if Beach (a rental player...or at least that is what it seems) along with a good 19 yr old defenseman can land you a good/decent 18 yr old, a 16 yr (that is a first round bantam pick), and a first rounder. Then maybe we should look at sending Dans for a package that would be similiar (albiet slightly less). Dans would also be a rental player, but has one of, if not the best shot in the league and would boost any team he plays for.
Not saying we should do that, but it is a thought.

Toswammi
01-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh and Keen and others can take the Tigers out of the Dudas/20 yr old needed list. I hear they will get McCue back shortly.

rednex50
01-09-2009, 12:46 AM
S.C just got Liam Darragh from the Bruins. No idea the return yet...won't know until the AM likely...but it is a done deal.

You'll love him. Busts his @ss each and ever shift, is willing to stand up for teammates and is not afraid to get a little dirty.

He will be missed here...

and FYI...it'll take something HUGE to pry Howse out of Chilli...like a proven scorer and a blue chip prospect...who will be be here at least 2 seasons.

Broncs in RD
01-09-2009, 02:27 AM
We get a 6'4'' 200lbs LW who can fight and plays hard.
IMO I would give up Dudas a young roster dman and a guy like hoban and a 1st or 2nd rounder. for Howse.
I think we prob sent Toulmin for Liam.

Toswammi
01-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I like Hoban, gotta remember he is still young, and i feel will be a solid player in this league.

nivek_wahs
01-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Matt Ius for Darragh

http://jonkeen.blogspot.com/

Toswammi
01-09-2009, 11:45 AM
S.C just got Liam Darragh from the Bruins. No idea the return yet...won't know until the AM likely...but it is a done deal.

You'll love him. Busts his @ss each and ever shift, is willing to stand up for teammates and is not afraid to get a little dirty.

He will be missed here...

and FYI...it'll take something HUGE to pry Howse out of Chilli...like a proven scorer and a blue chip prospect...who will be be here at least 2 seasons.

He is ours for Ius...as per Keens blog. Good deal for all parties

Scout
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Their will be another move which will be announced either later today or early tomorrow. They are just ironing out the final details of the deal.

Scout

Scout
01-09-2009, 05:21 PM
In defence of Ius? He requested a trade to be closer to home. His dad is having some very bad health issues and he wants to play closer to home so he can spend some time with him.

Scout

ointhecreek
01-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Their will be another move which will be announced either later today or early tomorrow. They are just ironing out the final details of the deal.

Scout
My bet it's Dudass to Regina. Probably don't want him to play against us tonight.

scbfan
01-09-2009, 05:27 PM
See that is the stuff people don't know about!Well I hope Ius's father gets better!

Johnsy05
01-09-2009, 05:34 PM

Scout

any hints there scout on what is coming our way? a dman or a forward ? anything?

Scout
01-09-2009, 06:34 PM
If i knew i would tell you but i never asked that way i wouldn't be accused of leaking info and the players involved hearing before the team can tell them. I'm sorry guys and gals but i've never hidden who i was and all the team brass and board know who i am and so do some of the players. I have a good relationship with them all and want to keep it that way. All i know is the deal was very close and should be announced later tonight or tommorrow.

Scout

Toswammi
01-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Scout
Going by the radio broadcast i would say its Dudas to Regina for a 3rd round pick

nivek_wahs
01-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Going by the radio broadcast i would say its Dudas to Regina for a 3rd round pick
Dudas to Regina for a 4th rounder in 2010 (announced during Pats post-game show).

Toswammi
01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Dudas to Regina for a 4th rounder in 2010 (announced during Pats post-game show).
Hmm got some conflicting reports. Keen is also reporting it as a 3rd rounder

The Regina Pats are reporting a trade that would see Broncos defenseman Jesse Dudas joining the Pats. The Broncos will get a 3rd round bantam pick in return. More later...

Flathead
01-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Wow that's not giving up much, way to go Parker. If Dudas can stay healthy, he's worth a lot more than a fourth round pick.

Fight Guy
Dudas for a 4th rounder. I hope he can stay healthy. If so, will be a great pick up.

Toswammi
Can't deny that Dudas has the talent (when he is healthy)

Link Dog
01-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Best wishes, take it easy, all the best, good luck, take care, break a leg.

Broncs in RD
01-09-2009, 10:37 PM
BLAH, not a great trade IMO, but I guess get what you can. If it was a 4th I say let him sit and smoke up. If it is a 3rd better than nothing.

dubfan
01-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Was Ryan Molle a healthy scratch or was he injured? Not playing tonight Molle, Magnus, Evans & Hewitt. Interesting.

CrazyGeorge
01-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I noticed that too. Magnus usually always in the lineup...Evans and Hewett seems to rotate in all season with Martin for the most part. Molle on the other hand, unless he is hurt or him too added to the "I want to be traded" list then I'm not really sure. Only time will tell.

Flathead
01-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I noticed that too. Magnus usually always in the lineup...Evans and Hewett seems to rotate in all season with Martin for the most part. Molle on the other hand, unless he is hurt or him too added to the "I want to be traded" list then I'm not really sure. Only time will tell.
Molle was injured second shift of the game.

Toswammi
01-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Was Ryan Molle a healthy scratch or was he injured? Not playing tonight Molle, Magnus, Evans & Hewitt. Interesting.

Shoulder injury in the first period. Day-to-day

CrazyGeorge
01-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks

Link Dog
01-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Molle got hit and hurt his shoulder on the second shift of the game.

ointhecreek
01-09-2009, 10:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken Keener said he was hurt early in the game. I'm asuming they're giveing Magnus some time off after the under 17 tourny.

Broncs in RD
01-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Did molle get hurt on his second shift?

nivek_wahs
01-09-2009, 10:58 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/News/534/

Pats Acquire Jesse Dudas
Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats are pleased to announce the acquisition of defenceman Jesse Dudas from the Swift Current Broncos in exchange for a 4th round pick in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.

Dudas suffered a knee injury at Oilers training camp this fall and was the odd man out in the 20 year old situation with the Broncos, so he hasn’t played in a WHL game yet this season. In 2007-08 he has 5 goals and 30 assists with both the Prince George Cougars and the Swift Current Broncos.

Jesse Dudas
Defenceman
6’2” 215
Hometown: St.Albert, Alta.
2007-08 Cougars/Broncos
5g 30a 35pts 106pim

Regina Pats General Manager Brent Parker, “We are excited to add a veteran top four defenceman of Jesse’s ability. We will give our power play an immediate boost and we look forward to getting him in our line-up.”

With the pick-up of Dudas, and the acquisition of Matt Robertson earlier this week, it gives the Pats their full compliment of 3 twenty year-olds. It’s the Pats intention to have Dudas in the line-up Sunday night at 6pm against the Edmonton Oil Kings.

Broncs in RD
01-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Swift Current gets Morgan Clark from the Rebels for a 5th round pick. Makes me wonder which goalie will be traded now. Yonkman or Guggs??

CrazyGeorge
01-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm thinking Yonks could get us something pretty solid but at the same time I thought the same with Dudas...ah well. We'll see come tomorrow.

johnny47
01-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Is a 4th rounder worth potentially getting knocked out by the pats in the play-offs with an unreal pp? or is the thinking that they will likely not end up against them until the east final??

patsdude114
01-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Molle was injured second shift of the game.

Molle took a solid check from Eberle down behind the net, went into boards and skated to bench on whistle with his shoulder kind of hanging there no movement.... At 1st i thought maybe it was separated but doesnt look too serious now that he is already listed as day to day.

SectionNDeserter
01-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Is a 4th rounder worth potentially getting knocked out by the pats in the play-offs with an unreal pp? or is the thinking that they will likely not end up against them until the east final??As of right now, the Pats are 1 point out of the last playoff spot....

Toswammi
01-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Swift Current gets Morgan Clark from the Rebels for a 5th round pick. Makes me wonder which goalie will be traded now. Yonkman or Guggs??

Well a trade like that would make me think that there is another deal lined up.

CrazyGeorge
01-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Agreed with Yonks, Guggs, Clarke and a few young goaltenders in the waiting (Austin Smith and Chad Ketting...any others?) then I for sure see a move of either Yonks or Guggs. I have my wish list like everyone else does...only time will tell.

d-man
01-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Basically a three way deal that ends up Dudas for Clarke, not bad really if we get something decent for Guggs or Yonks.

Scout
01-10-2009, 10:28 AM
This is just a rumor guys and i have heard nothing official but some Kelowna fans are saying the rumor out there is Yonks is heading there. Guess we will have to wait and see this afternoon but remember it's only a rumor by the fans.

Scout

Toswammi
01-10-2009, 10:31 AM
This is just a rumor guys and i have heard nothing official but some Kelowna fans are saying the rumor out there is Yonks is heading there. Guess we will have to wait and see this afternoon but remember it's only a rumor by the fans.

Scout
Any rumor of Yonks dealt to Kelowna would mean we get Lazuruk back, which mean we have another deal in the works.

Viper40
01-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I know it has been made clear that it is all just rumored about Yonks to Kelowna, but has there been any talk at all about what we might get back in return????

dubfan
01-10-2009, 01:13 PM
stay tuned for something good!

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 01:25 PM
What time is the deadline for us Swift Current fans?

Scout
01-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I believe it's 4 p.m. Swift time.

ointhecreek
01-10-2009, 01:32 PM
3 o'clock Calgary time so 4 here.

Big Ern
01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
What time is the deadline for us Swift Current fans?

4 PM Saskatchewan time.

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks guys...anticipating a lot of moves (big and small) in the next few hours.

Big Ern
01-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Gregg Drinnan is reporting that the Broncos are ironing out a deal that will send G Mark Guggenberger to the Kelowna Rockets.

So long Guggs? :(

#1fan
01-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprized with anything at this point. The Board has had turn over, relationships have changed and it boils down to self preservation. In order to do this Dean has to have the team make the first round of the playoffs. He needs to send a meassage to the players, no one is safe or beyond being traded or sat. He has to win or he will be out. His protector is gone and he is on his own or out on his own. I would expect he will sacrifice future successess to be successful this year - he has to. The deadline looms - expect the unexpected

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 02:05 PM
If that's the case...I'm thinking nothing more than a draft pic unless of course other players are in on the deal.

Scout
01-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Keen's Korner

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Guggenberger to Kelowna

(Swift Current--SK) Swift Current Broncos General Manager Dean Chynoweth announced that the club has traded 19 year old goaltender Mark Guggenberger to the Kelowna Rockets in exchange for a conditional 5th round pick in the 2010 bantam draft.

Chynoweth says: “In acquiring Morgan Clark and with the success of Travis Yonkman in the playoffs last season, we felt that we needed to give Mark the chance to play more regularly. We wish Mark the best of luck in the future and thank him for his time as a Bronco”

Guggenberger was picked up by the Broncos at last season's deadline from Portland. He is 12-11 this season.

Posted by Jon Keen at 2:05 PM

Scout

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 02:37 PM
With Guggenberger gone now and Toulmin either being released or traded (requesting a trade a few days ago) that leaves us with just four 19 year olds (4 twenty year olds next season) with the likes of Tassone, Doyle, Claffey and Molle.

ointhecreek
01-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Well, this sucks in my book! We need to bring up a young guy for experience for one, and Yonks should have gone to a contender. And to only get a conditional 5th rounder? Give me a break! I officially fell off the Dean bandwagon. Be glad when he is gone. The only good deal he has made is the Ius trade. :burningma

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Is Kelowna gonna cut Lazaruk lose? It wil open up another 20 year old spot for them so they may not be finished.

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Dude, perhaps he has faith in Clarke and the young guys who will back him up next season whether it be Austin Smith, Andrew Hunt, Chad Ketting or someone of that nature.

Big Ern
01-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Well, this sucks in my book! We need to bring up a young guy for experience for one, and Yonks should have gone to a contender. And to only get a conditional 5th rounder? Give me a break! I officially fell off the Dean bandwagon. Be glad when he is gone. The only good deal he has made is the Ius trade. :burningma

Easy O...you have to be fair to the players. Otherwise our organization would get a rep. of being selfish and that doesn't help in player recruitment.

He's doing what's best....

dubfan
01-10-2009, 02:46 PM
the next deal WILL be good

Son of a Preacher Man
01-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Whats up with this. We are trading our better players for next to nothing or low end draft picks. Makes no sence what so ever to me.

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 02:48 PM
the next deal WILL be good

What next deal?

dubfan
01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
just wait its a good one not proper to name those involved until all notified and team makes announcement

Big Ern
01-10-2009, 02:52 PM
It will likely involve the Kootenay Ice.

dubfan
01-10-2009, 02:53 PM
are hot ern

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm sure hoping this isn't just speculation and nothing more than Toulmin getting released or traded.

dubfan
01-10-2009, 02:56 PM
its done keen even reporting but not names will make the team better
w

ointhecreek
01-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Easy O...you have to be fair to the players. Otherwise our organization would get a rep. of being selfish and that doesn't help in player recruitment.

How is this deal fair to the player? Guggs for a conditional 5th? Ya that will make him feel good. Don't think it's fair to Yonks either to keep him here for his last season since we'll be lucky to get past the first round. I don't get where you you think anything is being selfish. Isn't the point of everything to get as far as you can in the playoffs unless you're selling off? I know you have your own view on things Ern but it's not always right. We are giving up quality players for virtually nothing.

dubfan
01-10-2009, 03:00 PM
its what the team needed most

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
goal scoring? (Sylvester) tough d man (McNabb) or puck moving d man (Negrin)....those are my guesses...PURELY SPECULATION!!!

dubfan
01-10-2009, 03:21 PM
one of the three is correct

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 03:25 PM
It wouldn't be a blockbuster if McNabb was in the deal...I'm going with Negrin or Sylvestor...we'll see when it happens.

ointhecreek
01-10-2009, 03:27 PM
It wouldn't be a blockbuster if McNabb was in the deal...I'm going with Negrin or Sylvestor...we'll see when it happens.
Man, the suspense is killing me, lol. Get it done already!

Toswammi
01-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Best of luck to Guggs in Kelowna, i really enjoyed his time here. He is an underrated goaltender that will help out that team (especially if Lazaruk faulters)

scamperdog
01-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Swift Current Broncos General Manager Dean Chynoweth announced that the club has acquired 19 year old defenseman John Negrin and 19 year old forward Michael Stickland from the Kootenay Ice in exchange for: 16 year old forward Christian Magnus, 17 year old defenseman James Martin and the Broncos 2nd and 4th round bantam picks in 2010.

Toswammi
01-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Negrin and Strickland for Martin, Magnus 2nd and 4th

Toswammi
01-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Could have one more minor deal left (Toulman) if not i guess he gets re-assigned, and has then played his last game in the WHL

Toswammi
01-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Swift Current Broncos General Manager Dean Chynoweth announced that the club has acquired 19 year old defenseman John Negrin and 19 year old forward Michael Stickland from the Kootenay Ice in exchange for: 16 year old forward Christian Magnus, 17 year old defenseman James Martin and the Broncos 2nd and 4th round bantam picks in 2010.

Only thing i don't like about this deal is the amount of 19 yr old defenseman we have on the roster ATM. not that i shouldn't be complaining as it is a pretty sweet deal for us.

scbfan
01-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Toulmin no longer on roster!Hope he got traded not reassigned!Good luck Grant in what ever your future holds!

Toswammi
01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Toulmin no longer on roster!Hope he got traded not reassigned!Good luck Grant in what ever your future holds!

Keen had bloged that he isn't with the team anymore, and was looking to find him a new home in the league. If not then he goes back to Jr-A

scbfan
01-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Does anyone actually think we can take out Calgary or Vancover? So why are we giving up youth?

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Seeing how we have six 19 year olds this year, come next year perhaps we move some of these vets and reacquire some youth....we'll have Reece Scarlett next season I'd imagine.

Toswammi
01-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Seeing how we have six 19 year olds this year, come next year perhaps we move some of these vets and reacquire some youth....we'll have Reece Scarlett next season I'd imagine.

Also will have Taylor Ernst, Michael Hay, Austin Smith, maybe Rodger Craig.

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I liked Magnus and too bad we had to get rid of him but at the same time we needed to give up something to gain something. Four 19 year old dmen (Negrin, Doyle, Claffey, Molle) to go with two 19 year old forwards (Tassone and Stickland)...good luck Christian and James in Kootney!!

scbfan
01-10-2009, 04:08 PM
As per whl.ca transactions Toulmin was officialy deleted from the roster!I guess it is back to JR-A!

01-10-2009, 04:10 PM
In my mind, the 20 year old situation should be a little easier to figure out next year now provided the players return.

I'm seeing Doyle, Claffey, and Stickland around next year with Tassone and Negrin off playing pro.

Molle can go continue to create turnovers at some local bakery.

ointhecreek
01-10-2009, 04:12 PM
I liked Magnus and too bad we had to get rid of him but at the same time we needed to give up something to gain something. Four 19 year old dmen (Negrin, Doyle, Claffey, Molle) to go with two 19 year old forwards (Tassone and Stickland)...good luck Christian and James in Kootney!!
Well, I see 2 or 3( if Negrin joins flames organization) D-men that won't be hard to pick from(to cut or trade) If 3 go that leaves the 2 forwards to keep. Tassone's a no brainer decision but I'm starting to wonder anyway.

ointhecreek
01-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Molle can go continue to create turnovers at some local bakery.
Not here I hope, I've seen enuff of his turnovers.

01-10-2009, 04:48 PM
The main thing that bothers me is we got more for Jesse Dudas, who is a liability for injury than we did for Guggenberger, who can return next year and is possibly one of the more solid goalies in the league.

Not too certain what the conditions are with that fifth round pick, but his value has to be more than that.

Broncs in RD
01-10-2009, 04:49 PM

To me he is now doing what is best for Dean not the organization. We get rid of a 16 y/o who has huge potential. A 17y/o dman who will be a shut down guy for years to come, Plus a 2nd round draft choice and a 4th. Tavares never went for that much. I am not really sold on the Kootney deal.

stick boy
01-10-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree 100 %, this looks a lot like a lame duck GM mortgaging the future to save a job. Giving up Magnus and Martin was a lot to give up but two high draft picks as well? This trade will come back to haunt us.

#1fan
01-10-2009, 04:54 PM
"So, the Broncos are loading up. My question is, do they really think they can beat Calgary or Saskatoon four times out of seven? They just paid a really high price for that gamble. Magnus is a kid who is going to play 3 or 4 more years in the league and be a pretty good player by the time he's 18, and Martin is another guy who's going to be a good defenceman for a few more years too. The Broncos gave up that, plus 2nd and 4th round picks, for half a year of John Negrin and a year and a half of Michael Stickland, who scored 4 goals in the season opener this year and has only 9 more since then. Very curious move for the Broncos, I think."
Posted by Alan Caldwel[/I]

Quite the move, it appears as if we are going to make the gamble at the expense of next and for what? IMO we should be able to expect to make it through the first round. Good, yes, but it could be so much better with a little patience. As Allan Caldwel says we have paid a high price. The end of the season will tell, the landscape could and will look a lot different at the beginning of the 2009-2010 season. Good Luck boys, IMO we will be rebuilding for a while.

2,5,andagame
01-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Anyone else hear the rumour of Dean moving to Kootney next year to help Jeff with the family business????

CrazyGeorge
01-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I think giving up Martin was something we could afford to do with the likes of Scarlett, Ernst, to go with young guys Hewett, Rogers, and Evans. Magnus on the other hand was a big piece to give up.

stick boy
01-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Big Ern I think that anyone who has watched this team knows that the 17-year-olds are the group to build around. We should have been flipping bodies to position ourselves for the next two seasons instead we mortgage the future for this season?

The trades are done and now this team has to produce. In my mind with what we have given up anything less then a Conference Finals appearance will me a major failure. So I sure hope we brought in the right bodies to do that otherwise someone is going to take the fall when the ice melts in the iplex.

Ree_21
01-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Anyone else hear the rumour of Dean moving to Kootney next year to help Jeff with the family business????

wow, I really don't want to hear that. If true... than Dean did what everyone asked for him... toughness and possible a little longer playoff run. We give up some good youth that he could use plus picks... hate to say conspiracy Boogaard'd

ointhecreek
01-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Just a rumor, but it's all making sense now. Been hearing this for a while now. :confused:

Broncs in RD
01-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Ahhh why else give them a nice 16y/o prospect an a shut down dman for two guys that will likely not be back next year.
BIG ERN time to get in HABS good books.

IMO we should have given Moose Jaw Martin, Magnus, Hay, a goaltender prospect a 1st to MJ for Broda, Granny and Hamonic.

Big Ern
01-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Ahhh why else give them a nice 16y/o prospect an a shut down dman for two guys that will likely not be back next year.
BIG ERN time to get in HABS good books.

IMO we should have given Moose Jaw Martin, Magnus, Hay, a goaltender prospect a 1st to MJ for Broda, Granny and Hamonic.

Just a few things to add in my last post on this thread:

That's a wishful trade that you listed there Broncs. If you were the GM maybe you could pull that one off though, who knows.

Secondly, no matter what Chynoweth did today, he would still be under the hammer on this forum. There is always doubtful outside speculation, ESPECIALLY in this market.

Thirdly, a question for you...do you EVER see anything positive? When we're not trading you wanna blow the team up. When we do trade, you complain that it's too much to give up.

And fourth, FYI I get along great with Marc Habscheid. LOL

GO BRONCOS tonight versus Medicine Hat!!!

Broncs in RD
01-10-2009, 05:37 PM
First: did I hit a nerve.
Second: WHAT was with some of that rant.
Third: ya I do see things positivley, Ern, I also state the obvious and play a little devils advicate. You can't always be a homer.
Fourth people here were pissed what Mcewan did before Dean got here. We had to rebuild big time. Did Dean do a good job at that....Yes, Now you have to open your eyes Ern and see that he just did the same thing Mcewan has done.
1 of 2 things Dean tried to save his ass or He is helping Kootney stock pile for when he gets there.
Here's some Positives
Clark great trade, I thought he was going to be here last year at the deadline.
Liam Great trade.
Dudas well if thats all we could get then great
Kootney Horrible, yes we got 1 GREAT player back and a average 19 y/o.
For Youth. Martin was one of my favorite players he will be a great dman. Magnus got shafted with playing time big time.

Offsider
01-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I do beleive the 08/09 Broncos got better with all the trades . nice to see a top four d-man .I think all trades have to pass by the Board but we did give to much up to Kootney. makes you think .

Ps to the Mods if anyone else talked on this board like Ern in the last few threads we would have been delete . Ern open your ears not your mouth maybe learn how to skate lol

Big Ern
01-10-2009, 06:06 PM
I apologize for losing it and making that unnecessary remark on the last post. I have deleted it. My intentions are never to make remarks like that. Unfortunately sometimes it happens. It also is unfair to the mods who are put in a pressure situation.

Otherwise, I respect your opinion.

Broncs in RD
01-10-2009, 06:22 PM
like wise

#1fan
01-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Here is something that hasn't been discussed. Our scouting staff, their efforts and hard work. It has to be very frustrating for them when year after year the young and up coming players and prospects they have spent time selecting continue to be traded away? Why do we need their expense when the work they do gets undermined at the 11th hour?

IMO they take pride in their work, the players they have selected and the stories told to these players in an effort to get them to commit to their specific WHL team, but for what? How does the head scout feel when it seems that year after year his team is torn apart for the purposes of maybe getting through the first round?. IMO he'll continue to be proud of his and his staff's efforts, even though his players or prospective players are on other teams fulfilling someone else's 5 year plan. Or is he, or will he become the scape goat of the future for a job not well done?

Scout
01-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Well we were the most active team the last couple of days of the trade deadline. Did we fill the gaps we needed? I think so. We needed size and an element of toughness and someone who was hard to move in front of opposing goalies. We filled that with picking up 6'4" forward Liam Darragh. We needed a top end D man to replace Dudas and we filled that when we traded for John Negrin. We needed a little more offence up front and we got that in Michael Stickland. We had two #1 goalies in Yonks and Googs. Yonks would have graduated next year and that would have left Googs with no experianced back up. We traded Googs and got an experianced back up who is a year younger than Googs. If we had traded Yonks and kept Googs, after next year we would have had two inexperianced goalies. Did we give up to much youth to land Negrin and Stickland? Yes i think it was steep but we have alot of depth in the system and to get quality you have to give quality. I also agree it would have been nice to see Yonks go to a contender like Calgary or Vancouver but he may have wanted to end his career here and not wanted a trade. I know there are alot of Dean bashers on here but one thing about Dean is he always tries his best to give players a second chance when their career is over or close to being over. Now to see if we benefit from the trades. And don't forget. Rogers Sportsnet is telecasting the Bronco/Hitman game tonight.

Scout

#1fan
01-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Well that's over, trades are done old players gone with new ones arriving. Did we get what we needed, fill the wholes we thought and believed existed? Did we secure the right ones to make the run everyone wants. Hopefully.

We should enjoy the next few months where ever it takes us as IMO we will be in a rebuilding mode next year, maybe with the same players and staff maybe not (what did Eldon know, makes you wonder). Did we trade the players who didn't want to be here, again IMO we didn't. We still have the same 19 year olds who weren't working before, some who don't want to be here, so what changed with the passing of the deadline?

What does it take to win? If we use the example of our World Junior team all we have to do is look at their desire, heart, respect, their willingness to buying into a system and the chemistry that developed quickly between the players and staff. If these elements hadn't been there they wouldn't have won gold. They couldn't have, because the belief that with less than 6 seconds left in the Russian game they could still win would not have been there. Did we get this, did we create this or do we still have what we had before with a couple of new faces.

IMO what separates winning teams is their mental strength, chemistry and desire to win. IMO, not knowing the new players, we still do not have this.

Hopefully, new faces will help change some old mind sets.

ointhecreek
01-11-2009, 10:02 AM
What did Moberg know? Nothing! Don't start reading in something that isn't there. He wouldn't have stayed with Dean as long as he did. He got a better job offer that he wanted, end of story. IMO, ...good riddance.

dubfan
01-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Well we were the most active team the last couple of days of the trade deadline. Did we fill the gaps we needed? I think so. We needed size and an element of toughness and someone who was hard to move in front of opposing goalies. We filled that with picking up 6'4" forward Liam Darragh. We needed a top end D man to replace Dudas and we filled that when we traded for John Negrin. We needed a little more offence up front and we got that in Michael Stickland. We had two #1 goalies in Yonks and Googs. Yonks would have graduated next year and that would have left Googs with no experianced back up. We traded Googs and got an experianced back up who is a year younger than Googs. If we had traded Yonks and kept Googs, after next year we would have had two inexperianced goalies. Did we give up to much youth to land Negrin and Stickland? Yes i think it was steep but we have alot of depth in the system and to get quality you have to give quality. I also agree it would have been nice to see Yonks go to a contender like Calgary or Vancouver but he may have wanted to end his career here and not wanted a trade. I know there are alot of Dean bashers on here but one thing about Dean is he always tries his best to give players a second chance when their career is over or close to being over. Now to see if we benefit from the trades. And don't forget. Rogers Sportsnet is telecasting the Bronco/Hitman game tonight.

Scout
Scout your analysis of the trades is very correct. I agree with all points. #1 fan, the reason the Broncos could make the big trade is because the Scouts and Directorof PP, Mr. Porter, have put a very good list of players together, not just the current team members. I believe if you look at their depth chart by position and age they are still strong for the next three plus years. 15 year old d-men Scarlett and Craig most likely will both be playing next year, currently 5-18 year old forwards and 5-17 year old forwards are contributing to the current team. The goalie depth is good with 18 year old Clarke 17 Ketting, 16 Hunt and 15 Mc Donald. I believe the Broncos picked up the best player, Negrin, of all the trades made in the WHL.

#1fan
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Negrin is not a top quality d, because he is. He will most likely be our new go to guy. Hopefully with his quality of play he'll force Doyle to take the I out of team and be the great player he can be. Our younger players will also learn from him.

Dean did what he felt he had to, was the price to steep, will we have enough depth to effectively compete next year, only time will tell, at this point we can agree to disagree. We are where we are.

There are no walks in the park from here - ask Calgary about their game last night.

observer9
01-11-2009, 07:02 PM
You should change your handle. You are by no means a fan. From your posts you have your own agenda. The agenda is to be a Bronco and Chynoweth Hater.

#1fan
01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Did you come to that conclusion all by your self or did you need to go help. Just in case you did -

Swift Current is a great place to play and live. Our hockey system has and continues to produce great hockey talent. The coaching staff is dedicated hard working and knowledgeable. Our board commits their time and talents in providing leadership and direction. The community provides great homes for the players, who by the way are fortunate to be and play here. The rest of us have the luxury of being arm chair quarter backs who are able within this forum to share our opinions freely. That's all they are, opinions. We can't, won't and don't change anything. Hopeful that helps you.

GO BRONCOS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

observer9
01-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Your opinions are bordering on a personal agenda. Seems you have a hate on for the organization.

Toswammi
06-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh no, we have been spammed