PDA

View Full Version : Blazer Giants Trade

scamperdog
01-08-2009, 02:05 PM
www.blazerhockey.com
KULCHAR, DRAFT CHOICES ACQUIRED FROM GIANTS

January 8th, 2009 – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

KAMLOOPS, BC – The Kamloops Blazers announce today the completion of a trade with the Vancouver Giants which sees the Blazers add 18-year-old defenseman Curtis Kulchar, 3rd and 4th round selections in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft, and a 2nd round pick in the 2010 Bantam Draft in exchange for 19-year-old defenseman Nick Ross and 19-year-old forward Alex Rodgers.

"Curtis is a steady defenseman who fits in nicely with our younger blueline," says General Manager and Vice President Craig Bonner. "We feel he will help improve our back end this season and in the future."

"We also feel it's very important to build our team through the Bantam Draft and by adding three selections to our upcoming drafts we are putting ourselves in a strong position to do just that," says Bonner.

Kulchar is a 6'0", 185-pound right-shooting defenseman from Martensville, SK. He began his WHL career with the Regina Pats before becoming a Vancouver Giant at the start of the 08-09 season. Kulchar has played 22 games for the Giants this season - recording one assist, 24 penalty minutes, and a +6 rating. Kulchar played 50 games - posting 3 assists - with the Pats as a 17-year-old. He also played 3 games with Regina as a 16-year-old.

"We would also like to take this opportunity to wish Nick and Alex all the best in Vancouver," says Bonner.

Swando
01-09-2009, 01:05 AM
The Bonner brother didn't spare anything as he took it to his brother in Vancouver. 3 picks and a 18 yr old for rental players..wow. Guess it's the going rate but when you look at the Broda trade I think that Calgary got a MUCH better deal than Vancouver did, especially as Vancouver needed up front scoring as opposed to another d man.

dondo
01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
This could become a very interesting rivalry between the two. Looks like Craig has been busy gathering assets and getting ramped up for the future.

Kulchar is a big 18 yr old D man who is faster than I originally thought, he's got some good upside and not a big liability for the Blazers fans to cringe over.

I still think he needs a bit of seasoning, but he's a gamer.

I have to agree with swando that the price was bit high. Rodgers is not exactly having a banner year, 19 points in 35+ games is not what I would call good numbers for what's supposed to be an offensive forward.

Brandonite
01-10-2009, 11:32 PM
www.blazerhockey.com
KULCHAR, DRAFT CHOICES ACQUIRED FROM GIANTS

January 8th, 2009 – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

KAMLOOPS, BC – The Kamloops Blazers announce today the completion of a trade with the Vancouver Giants which sees the Blazers add 18-year-old defenseman Curtis Kulchar, 3rd and 4th round selections in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft, and a 2nd round pick in the 2010 Bantam Draft in exchange for 19-year-old defenseman Nick Ross and 19-year-old forward Alex Rodgers.

"Curtis is a steady defenseman who fits in nicely with our younger blueline," says General Manager and Vice President Craig Bonner. "We feel he will help improve our back end this season and in the future."

"We also feel it's very important to build our team through the Bantam Draft and by adding three selections to our upcoming drafts we are putting ourselves in a strong position to do just that," says Bonner.

Kulchar is a 6'0", 185-pound right-shooting defenseman from Martensville, SK. He began his WHL career with the Regina Pats before becoming a Vancouver Giant at the start of the 08-09 season. Kulchar has played 22 games for the Giants this season - recording one assist, 24 penalty minutes, and a +6 rating. Kulchar played 50 games - posting 3 assists - with the Pats as a 17-year-old. He also played 3 games with Regina as a 16-year-old.

"We would also like to take this opportunity to wish Nick and Alex all the best in Vancouver," says Bonner.

Whats with Nick Ross getting traded as often as he does?? I'd love it if he came to Brandon, he would be a huge asset to this defence! He's a 1st round pick to Phoenix (30th overall) and hes already signed to a pro contract with the Coyotes meaning he will be playing in their pro system in the next year or 2. And now this would be his 3rd team in less than 4 seasons which makes me question his attitude! Anyone know much about him?!

Jake
01-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Whats with Nick Ross getting traded as often as he does?? I'd love it if he came to Brandon, he would be a huge asset to this defence! He's a 1st round pick to Phoenix (30th overall) and hes already signed to a pro contract with the Coyotes meaning he will be playing in their pro system in the next year or 2. And now this would be his 3rd team in less than 4 seasons which makes me question his attitude! Anyone know much about him?!

You can look at it the other way too. In order to be traded twice a player has to be in demand. I can't tell you which perspective is closer to the truth but Ross does play a robust game and has kept it simple this season.

dondo
01-11-2009, 11:49 AM
We've liked what Ross has brought to the table so far.

The thing is that Ross is a very talented player who the knock has been that he takes some shifts off and doesn't play as big as his body indicates he should. As result he's a very marketable asset that teams seem to feel they can do without, should the right deal come along. By contrast a defenseman like Jonathon Blum is off the table completely.

So yes he's an asset that other teams want, but seems to be a player who has had the tendency that given enough rope will boot ski behind it instead of gathering up the line, using it to pull himself forward.

The thing about him being on the Giants now is that Don Hay does not allow any player to boot ski behind and will make sure that Ross plays hard every shift or he rides the pine. The thing I like about this team is that anyone, any one can be sat if they don't play to the level expected of them. I seem to recall a healthy Kane even sitting a few times last season.

Rodgers after two lacklustre games is making a big bid to be in Hay's doghouse (not a very nice place to be) and seriously could finds himself sitting if he doesn't start drinking the Kool-Aid. The thing is that the two Kamloops boys still haven't had a full Hay practice and they are in for a surporise as Don Hay practices are game-level intensity. That's how this team keeps their edge.

Blazer fans, expect that Craig Bonner is going to try to develop the kind of team his brother currently manages and demand the kind of coaching style that Hay brings to his team.

Kamloops might find themselves losing a coach if he doesn't step up to the plate.

Craig will be bound and determined to make them a contender and passengers will not be tolerated. Remember he ran the defensive side of the coach's bench beside hay and was asst GM in Vancouver before taking the head job in the 'loops.