PDA

View Full Version : The Newbies Article

Tipped Off
01-09-2009, 12:09 PM
from Heraldnet.com

Newest Silvertips excited they were traded to Everett

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT -- Dan Iwanski has been a role player so far during his WHL career, a self-described "bump and grind" guy during his season-and-a-half playing for the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

But whether or not the 18-year-old's career eventually breaks out now that he's with the Everett Silvertips, he'll always be able to say his price tag was a bonafide junior hockey superstar.

"It's better than being traded for a fifth-round pick," quipped Iwanski, who was part of the package the Tips received in exchange for star winger Kyle Beach. "When they ask you if you got traded, you can say you got traded for a guy like Beach, which is pretty exciting."

Iwanski and 16-year-old defenseman Alex Theriau, practiced with the Tips for the first time Thursday. Everett acquired the duo Tuesday along with a first-round pick in this year's bantam draft in exchange for Beach and defenseman Mike Alexander.

And despite the fact they've had just one practice with the team, Everett coach John Becanic is throwing them straight into the action tonight in the Tips' home game against Prince George.

"We didn't have much time on the ice -- playing four games in five days we don't really have the luxury of practicing too long," Becanic said when asked about his first impressions of his new players.

"But having met with both of them a couple times now they're just real quality people. Both kids are really good citizens and enjoy the game. There's enthusiasm in them and it's already infectious in the locker room. It adds to what's already a pretty young and enthusiastic group.

"We're playing three in three this weekend, so there was no better time than (tonight) to get them in."

The real prize in the trade for Everett was Theriau. The 6-foot-2, 185-pound native of Duncan, B.C., was the sixth-overall pick in the 2007 bantam draft. A smooth-skating puck mover, Theriau recently returned from helping Team Pacific capture the silver medal at the U-17 World Hockey Challenge, where as a teammate of Tips goaltender Kent Simpson he tallied one goal in six games. This season with Lethbridge he had four assists in 29 games.

"I like to skate with the puck as a defenseman," Theriau said. "I like to play the power play. I like to be offensive and be very sound defensively as well."

As a 16-year-old who's still in high school, Theriau had to approve the trade to Everett. After weighing his options he decided the best thing for his future was to join the Tips.

"I sat over dinner with my agent and talked it over with him and we decided it would be best to come to Everett," Theriau said.

"I'm very excited," Theriau added. "When I learned of the trade, Everett is obviously one of the best organizations in the league and I'm happy to be here."

While Theriau is the high-profile name coming to Everett, the Tips don't consider Iwanski a mere throw-in. The 5-foot-9, 180-pound native of Calgary, Alberta, is a player the Tips feel may have been under-utilized in Lethbridge. He missed the first six weeks of the season because of a knee injury, and he tallied just three goals and two assists in 25 games upon returning. However, he had a promising rookie season last term with 10 goals and nine assists, and he scored some key goals during Lethbridge's run to the WHL finals.

Unlike Theriau, Iwanski didn't have veto power over the trade, But like his teammate, Iwanski was enthusiastic when he learned of the deal.

"Things weren't going very well in Lethbridge with a seven-game losing streak," Iwanski said. "You kind of knew something was going to happen and you just didn't know who it was. I found out it was me and I was going to Everett and I was excited. Coach told me about the attendance and the excitement playing down here, and it's a good organization, so I'm pretty happy it happened. I got to come down here with Theriau, which was good, better than coming down by myself."

Becanic acknowledges that one day of practicing is not nearly enough to pick up on Everett's systems. Nevertheless, he doesn't intend to ease Theriau and Iwanski in by limiting their shifts tonight.

"Our expectations aren't overly high because there's only so much the brain can absorb in one day," Becanic said. "But we've got to see what they can do. You want to put them in a position where they can be successful and see what they can do with good players. They're both skilled players, so you have to put them somewhere where they can show their skill.

"But I don't expect either kid will have any trouble adjusting."

Nick Patterson's Silvertips blog: http://www.heraldnet.com/silvertipsblog