PDA

View Full Version : Giants get Ross and Rodgers

dondo
01-09-2009, 02:43 PM
sorry folks, but I couldn't get on the site yesterday.. whlfans does not like firefox apparently

The Vancouver Giants acquired 19 yr old D Nick Ross and 19 yr old F Alex Rodgers, for 18 yr old D Curtis Kulchar, and picks (3rd, 4th in 2009, 2nd in 2010). The move makes the Giants probably one the best puck-moving defensive corps in the league and solidifies the blue-line.

Ross was a first round pick of the Phoenix Coyotes. Nobody denies his skill, but he has been MIA at times and the knock on him is that he doesn't use his size the way he could, or should.

Alex Rodgers is smallish (5"11") speedy forward who is more of play maker than a goal scorer. The knock on him is that he's a bit soft and at times floaty.

A bit of a coup to get Ross as he's a highly touted prospect and might just need top players to play with for him to shine. Rodgers, on the other hand, for me duplicates some of what we already have and doesn't add that much to the line-up. I'd rather have a gutsy hardworking Piluso than a Rodgers playing on the third line, but that might just be me.

Also gave up a bunch of future. Time will tell if this is a good deal. It's not a bad deal, but it might just be too much to give up for not as much return as originally anticipated.

I expect that since Rodgers comes to an already set line-up that more moves are going to be made.

I am hoping the Giants have their eyes on a top 18 or 19 yr old goal-scorer whose sole purpose is to put the puck in the net. They are also still lacking some size, but need to get size without losing skill. Not a lot of assets yet to deal, but a highly regarded play-maker like Wright might be dealt for a top scorer.

The real trick is to add guys who are willing to do the work add their skill-set without bringing any ego baggage. The Giants are a team-first organization and individual whining is not tolerated. Effort every night and every shift is expected behaviour with no exceptions. Play hard you get rewarded. Dog it and you are sitting no matter how skilled you are.

press release:

Sibling GMs Scott Bonner and Craig Bonner pulled off another WHL trade Thursday.

Scott's Vancouver Giants received Phoenix Coyotes first-round pick Nick Ross, a defenceman, and forward Alex Rodgers from Craig's Kamloops Blazers for defenceman Curtis Kulchar, the Giants' third and fourth-round bantam draft picks in 2009 and Vancouver's second-round pick in 2010.

Craig had been Vancouver's assistant GM/assistant coach prior to taking the Blazers' big chair this off-season.

Since he's gone to Kamloops, he's dealt for players like Linden Saip from the Giants.

The Giants are said to have more deals cooking, although Ross was one of the big-ticket items on the trade market, so this could be their most significant one prior to Saturday's trade deadline.

Priceisright
01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Deadline today?

Jake
01-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Tomorrow 3:00 pm MST.