PDA

View Full Version : Jan 10 2009 Giants 5 Hurricanes 4 OT

dondo
01-11-2009, 01:08 AM
damn you Beatch ... why does this guy always manage to get points off of us? I would respect him if he wasn't such a gutless, weasel dick on the ice. He was still wearing the bubble head to protect his broken nose and seemed to be mainly playing on the PP for the Canes.

After having such a dominating first period I'm not sure if the boys sat back, or the Hurricanes stepped it up or more likely a bit of both. Didn't see this so I don't know if the goals against Sexy were good, but allowing four goals on 17 shots is not what elite goalies do. I know Sexy steps it up for big games and shuts the door when necessary, but he's got to stop allowing these soft goals. If he's going to play this way, then Tucker should be put in to push him. I was disappointed not to see Tucker get the nod in the back half of back to back games.

Here's how I heard it:

Giants Clip Canes
Vancouver 5 Lethbridge 4 OT

Don Robinson

The Giants came out flying, playing a text book game in the first dominating at all ends of the ice, scoring three unanswered goals and holding the home team to a mere three shots on Tyson Sexsmith, who did not have his best night by the time all was said and done. Juha Metsola weathered the storm for three periods and managed to keep his team close enough to tie the game late with the goalie pulled. The second was a wash with the Giants padding their lead early in the period and then allowing some life to the Lethbridge camp by allowing a goal on the ‘canes sixth shot of the night. It was a good goal. The second was also a wash because the refs went nuts calling anything and everything and then some, most of it both ways. The raft of penalties and power-play chances slowed the game down to a crawl, extinguishing the Giants fire and giving the home team a chance to get back into it. An early third period goal and it was 4-2. The canes had life and scored one more, adding another one with the goalie pulled very late in the final frame, tying the game. The Giants sagged a bit and Sexsmith allowed four goals on very few shots, while his counter-part at the other end of the ice was getting shelled. Evander Kane had two goals and one assist for the second time in two nights. Casey Pierro-Zabotel had two assists and the GWG goal in OT.

The Giants opened the scoring in the first on the PP. Kane scored his 25th of the season, off of CPZ and Jonathon Blum who was in his first game back since taking 5th place captaining his American squad in the U-20 WJC. Kane posted his second of the night a couple of minutes later, off of CPZ and Mike Berube. James Henry and Drew Hoff dropped the mitts early in the game. The Giants pushed their lead to three, when Craig Schira blasted it past Metsola from a bad angle, on the PP. Nick Ross and Mike Piluso worked together to the get the puck to Schira. The Giants dominated the first keeping the Canes pinned in their own end of the ice, and keeping shots on Sexsmith low, allowing only three shots on the Giants goalie in the first.

The Giants added to their lead in the second but the game turned after that as the zebras took over, hampering the game and slowing it down to a plodding pace, not allowing players to get into a rhythm or the coaches to roll their lines. Brent Regner scored yet another Giants PP goal early in the second. Blum and Brendan Gallagher got the helpers on the play. The WHL site has the PP stats as the Giants 3 for 3 and the Hurricanes 1 for 1 , but that’s not right, even looking down the list of penalties the PP chances were above that for both teams as the refs went kind of whistle-happy in the second calling every little thing. The Giants alone had a couple of 5 on 3 chances in the game, and more than 3 PP chances over-all. The Hurricanes had more than 1 PP chance as well. If I was to guess I would estimate the Giants to be about 3 for 7 and ‘canes to be 1 for 4 or 5. Suffice to say the zebras affected the game and it turned in the Hurricanes favour even though their own fans were going ballistic starting “we want a ref “ chants. The ‘canes finally got one past Sexsmith with their sixth shot on net. It was on the PP and newly acquired skilled head-case Kyle Beach got the goal, playing a far more subdued game than usual wearing the bubble head to protect his broken nose. The goal came with just over 2 minutes left in the second and gave the fans some life and something to feel good about going into the break between periods.

The Hurricanes got to within two goals off a marker in the opening minute of the third and gave the players a bit of life. Cam Braes turned on the red-light for the Hurricanes, putting it past Sexsmith off of a poor turnover by the Giants. The visitors started scrambling a bit more after that allowing the home team to ride the uproarious crowd of 3600 and feed off of their energy. A very odd game as the Giants are not a team to get rattled, but credit the Hurricane boys for fighting their way back into the game, laying it all out there with nothing to lose. Braes set-up Brody Sutter for his first of the season, getting the puck on net with Brody putting home the rebound. Beach got his second of the night with the goalie pulled late in the game, burying the puck past Sexy for the game tying goal. The Giants let a point slip to their opponent, but in the OT they were not going to be denied as 32 seconds into the extra frame they scored a beauty. Kane worked the puck down low, grinding for possession, put the biscuit out to Ross who rifled it at the net. CPZ tipped the puck past Metsola for the OT winner. The Giants should never, ever have let that game slip, but in the end it got the ‘canes a point their fans some great excitement and hopefully scared the Giants into learning that lesson, so they do not repeat it.

PP stats are a bit whacked on the WHL site, but lets call it 3 for 7 for the G-Men and 1 for 4 for the Hurricanes. The Giants did out shoot the ‘canes by a wide margin 46 – 17 and as such should have kept their dominant play of the first intact, but that’s why we play the full sixty and in this case, plus. Kane kept his streak going now with 6 points in his two games since the WJC, and his line-mate CPZ also has 6 points in the two games, with 1G and 5A, while Kane notched 4G and 2A. Nick Ross has fit into the Giants line-up well tallying two assists of his own tonight. Blum also had two assists. Alex Rodgers however did not fair so well in his second game as he was a –2 with no points and no PIMs. This is a guy who might still need to learn to drink Hayzer’s Kool-Aid or he could find himself riding pine. Brent Regner was also a –2, which is unlike him as he has had a few poor games as of late, but his PP marker helps alleviate some of those minuses. Hay has been rotating players in and out of the line-up, as Basford, Barnett and Piluso were all back in the line-up tonight. He needs to make a cut soon though as the Giants are currently carrying too many forwards.

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed the Giants didn’t make a couple of more prominent trade moves, but it sounds like the other GMs were asking for core players, which understandably Scott didn’t go for as the Giants boast the second best record in the league, the best record to this point in the season in franchise history and an excellent chemistry throughout the line-up. Chemistry on a winning team is something not be tampered with and although Ross is making his presence known and welcomed, Rodgers might be a wild card the Giants are in no position to coddle. The Giants have a few days off before taking on the Tigers in Medicine Hat on Tuesday beginning a run of four games in five nights next week. The puck drops at 7pm MST.

Three Stars

1) Juha Metsola
2) Evander Kane
3) Brody Sutter