PDA

View Full Version : vs PA

Hitmen1
01-11-2009, 10:00 AM
I have to say for a team that pretty much had to win last night, where was everyone? IMO the only Rebel to show up was Ferguson. I didn't even notice Ferraro until he was getting punched late in the 3rd. Considering PA didn't want to engage physically, i thought the Rebels would hit everything that move. It didn't help that the first goal on Kueper was weak. I could sense the crowd wanted something to cheer about but the team didn't give them anything last night.

On a positive, I got Ray Ferraro to sign my son's jersey and he was very pleasant and personable.

SectionNDeserter
01-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I have to say for a team that pretty much had to win last night, where was everyone?The Rebels have struggled with an almost non-existant faceoff percentage, mediocre '89 players, and an extremely poor penalty kill all season. When your only trade deadline move is to replace Morgan Clark with a goaltender from Midget, clearly you have put the playoffs in the back of your mind, and are already focusing on next season.

I didn't even notice Ferraro until he was getting punched late in the 3rd.His line had fewer shifts than they have in other games this season (probably to get some of the younger players more ice time). They kept him in check pretty good all night, as did the Rebels with Bernhardt. Bernhardt got quite a few rough rides last night--must have been what led an overage player like him to jump one of our 17 year olds from behind at the end of the game...

It didn't help that the first goal on Kueper was weak.Unlike last game where a goal was scored from behind the goal line, Kuemper was actually in pretty good position, and the guy who scored it (from on the goal line) had 2 goals prior to that. I would call it more 'lucky' than weak.

I could sense the crowd wanted something to cheer about but the team didn't give them anything last night.Lucky goal or not, that it really took the wind out of the sails of both the Rebels and the fans.

Prince Albert was really forechecking hard on the Rebels last night, and the Rebel's defense were making errors as a result, errors that they haven't made so much this year (like Egener, Morin and Archer throwing the puck up the middle a number of times).

I didn't think any of the Rebel defense had a particularly great night, but Cullen Morin was absolutely awful last night. Turned the puck over about 20 times, was chasing guys around his own end, was dominated on the boards all night, and made absolutely no attempt to check the stick of McAngus on his second goal, despite actually being in perfect position. For the love of god, if you are not going to get rid of this guy, at least rip that 'A' off his jersey, and stick him at forward, or better yet up in the pressbox. HE CANNOT PLAY DEFENSE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM.

Rebrevs
01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I have been incredibly patient (I think) with the whole "young" team concept and the "developing" team concept but SHEESH!! I thought the best line by far last night was the 4th line. Seriously!! They didn't actually score the first goal but their hard forechecking caused the turnover that ,during the ensuing line change, we actually managed to score. Just to give an idea of what went on last night......... to start the 3rd period, we actually won the draw to the defenseman, who fumbled the puck before he passed it to a winger who fumbled the puck before he eventually got it to a centerman who then fumbled the puck and gave it away. It was AWFUL.
I'm speechless, really. I don't want to knock the kids. I think there are others besides Morin who are not pulling their weight. I wonder about the team dynamics. I wonder about the coaching. I wonder about the management. I wonder about the scouting. I wonder about parent influence, (perhaps positive, perhaps negative) in the minds of these young men. I'm sure Jesse is beside himself with frustration. Hindsight being 20/20, it might have been a good idea to drop/trade/move some of the older boys and their baggage(they have been losing a long time now) and bring in some younger kids who are willing to lay it on the line for a chance to play in the WHL. Give me some more Adam Kambeitz's and Connor Redmond's(the only one I saw attempting to hit). Bring on the sport's psychologists to help these kids find their way. Losing is a messy business. Losing without heart is worse. I hope they can find their way back sometime soon.

Hitmen1
01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Wallin puts the team through a 6 am bag skate.

Rebels pay for performance (http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/hockey/Rebels_pay_for_Saturday_nights_sins.html)

snapshot
01-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Like many coaches...he is trying to motivate the players, I can't say I agree with that style of coaching so much, but I would hope that along with these bag skates that they are getting some instruction on how to work a power play properly, how to kill a penalty and more speed/intensity when they are on the offensive. You can't win many games when you're not scoring goals. The overall strategy/emphasis looks like to be on the defensive (are the players afraid to make a mistake?), so when they do get the puck, they don't know what to do with it aside from pushing it up along the boards/glass,... there is no puck movement....I know that this IS the team system. The team is having troule transitioning from the defensive to the offensive....maybe that's the system. Play on the defensive all the time, sure looks like it. Losing a game 3-2, looks better than losing 7-2. The other teams are just waiting for the Rebels to push the puck up the boards. PA forechecked, Rebels forwards were too high, the defense had no one to pass the puck to, basic hockey.

SectionNDeserter
01-12-2009, 09:09 PM
The overall strategy/emphasis looks like to be on the defensive (are the players afraid to make a mistake?), so when they do get the puck, they don't know what to do with it aside from pushing it up along the boards/glass,... there is no puck movement"This really hasn't been a big problem for the Rebels most of the year this year--it is 100% better than last season. The transition game certainly was a big issue last season, and it sure was against PA. The transition game also looks a lot better when Kivisto is in the lineup....

There is a big difference between not knowing/forgetting what to do in a game situation, and just being flat out lazy--The bag skate was a response to this for a number of the players. Aside from not getting clear shots from/using the guys on the point, the power play has looked ok, and the penalty kill of late has been a lot more aggressive than earlier in the year (they have worked their penalty kill all the way back up to average!).

Play on the defensive all the time, sure looks like it. Losing a game 3-2, looks better than losing 7-2.Beyond their first line, the Rebels don't have a ton of experience/"refined" talent. A young team losing a game 3-2 doesn't just look better than losing 7-2, it IS better than losing 7-2. The only player playing defensively against PA was Kuemper, and maybe 2 or 3 skaters.

snapshot
01-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Offensively Red Deer has scored the third least goals in the league, more than Portland and Chilliwack, even Moose Jaw has more goals than Red Deer, but granted, Moose Jaw has given up a ton. Red Deer is in the middle of the pack, goals against. Defensively they are doing better than they are doing offensively. Regardless of the system or player personel, they just need to figure out how to generate more goals without becoming more vulnerable to being scored on. Offensively, Red Deer needs to hold their own when playing 5 on 5 and their power play needs to be better than the other team's power play in order to win.