PDA

View Full Version : Jan 17, 2009 Giants 9 Rebels 3

dondo
01-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Great dominating victory, but I would have personally preferred to see the Giants keep the pressure on and not give the Rebels anything to cheer about. When you are dismantling a team this efficiently in the first you cannot sit back and let them back into the game even a little bit.

Offense was deadly tonight, PP brilliant. Defense still not playing the elite hockey they are capable of playing. Seems silly to have any criticisms with such a huge victory, but you can always get better and after being greatly out-played in Calgary this team still has a bunch of work to do and they might as well keep up the effort against all teams.

Giants Crush Rebels
Vancouver 9 Red Deer 3

Don Robinson

The Giants after a tough loss in Calgary came out of the gate tonight like a shot, scoring five unanswered goals in the first period, taking it to the hapless Rebels who had no clue what hit them. The Rebels managed to claw back a bit in the second scoring three goals of their own, but the Giants matched their goals and added one more in the middle frame. The G-Men were a deadly 4 for 7 on the PP and at one time in the game were 4 for 5 with the man-advantage. Casey Pierro-Zabotel padded his stats tonight, adding 2G and 3A on the night. Garry Nunn had 2G and 2A in the contest. The rest of the scoring was spread throughout the line-up. Alex Rodgers got his first as a Giant, scoring the opening marker 3:20 into the game. In the second the Giants eased back on the gas and got tagged for three goals, only one of which should have been given a chance to bulge the twine. Jamie Tucker was just solid turning away 17 shots in the victory. Red Deer’s goalie weren’t that lucky. Darcy Kuemper started the game, but was pulled after allowing four goals. The change didn’t make much difference as Cam Gorchynski was shredded for five goals before Kuemper was put back between the pipes to open the third. The Giants did not score in the final frame, but got caught sitting back and taking dumb penalties. Several Giants players were minuses tonight and considering the score and 5 of 9 were even-strength goals that is really not acceptable. They’ve got to be better even in these kinds of games at taking care of their end of the ice.

Rodgers opened the scoring in the first. Craig Schira, CPZ, Craig Cunningham and Garry Nunn got the other markers in the opening frame. Mischa Fisenko dropped the mitts in the first and hung in there versus Carter Smith. Cass Mappin scored very early in the second. The Giants replied with Nunn and Regner. Landon Ferraro scored a beauty for the Rebels, with Smith following suit less than a minute later. Evander Kane and CPZ replied before the end of the period. No goals in the third, as the Giants sat back, nursed their lead and took a few lazy penalties. Kuemper did not have to be busy in the third as the Giants cruised to a dominating victory.

A very short recap tonight as I am leaving town for a couple weeks and will unfortunately probably not be doing any recaps during that time. I have asked a couple of folks to pick up the slack, but there are no guarantees at this point as it does not look like I will have consistent access to an internet connection during this time. Enjoy the games as I will enjoy my time away only slightly disappointed that I can’t follow the team as closely as I like to do. Let’s hope the G-Men continue their great run while I’m not paying attention.

Giants were 4 for 7 on the PP, Rebels went 0 for 5. Giants out shot the Rebels 45-20. Next game on Wednesday in Kelowna as the Vancouver squad takes on the Rockets at Prospera Place. Puck drops at 7:00pm PST.

Three Stars

1) Garry Nunn
2) Casey Pierro-Zabotel
3) Brent Regner