PDA

View Full Version : blades wheat kings

wango tango
01-22-2009, 11:27 AM
blades started slowly. holtby held the fort.

gallimore's goal puts blades up 1-0. ties him for rookie goal scoring lead.

score after 1st flattered brandon. could've easily been 3-0 if not for a post and missed open net.

2nd period went real bad for the wheat kings.

when schenn and calvert are so off their games that they're beaking and calling for fights, you know the blades have done their job. don't know what calvert was thinking calling out langkow to fight, but langkow fed him.

chorneyko, dziurzynski, and inglis physical play got the wheat kings off their game.

when schenn focuses on going to the net to score, you can see the kid is elite. too often was limited to outside, low % scoring chances, he didn't record a single point. his line was distracted and had no impact, wouldn't have believed it if i didn't see it.

the blades outhustled, out hit, out fought, out scored, just out played brandon.

this was the second straight start in saskatoon hayes was terrible. if he doesn't pick up his game there could be some lost points down the stretch for brandon, and a quick exit from the playoffs.

6-2 final for saskatoon, eight point lead for first. a dominant game over brandon. the blades and wheaties will play three more times all three are going to be high energy. you can bet brandon will not forget.

way to go blades you played a huge game.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
As much as I dont like the blades (hard to tell, I know), I have to admit that they are deserving of the accolades they are recieving. They definitely play a good team game on both sides of the ice, and Holtby is the icing on the cake.

Similar to a New Jersey Devils style...not all that flashy( a tad boring at times), but the systems are very good and overall effective. And for the record, that Mcrae deal is looking really good for the blades right now too.

Hamilton and Elliot arent quite there yet, but they will be stars in the league next year (likely). And the right guys have definitely stepped up their games this year to give this team probably the best offensive depth in the league. The defence is pretty good too. I can see why Lorne didnt move anyone around, though it would have probably been smart to add a game breaker to the lineup. Either way, the blades are doing well now, and they should be pretty good next year as well even without Holtby.

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-22-2009, 03:58 PM
I wouldnt say Holtby is gone for sure
I agree with this as well. Unless Simeon Varlamov makes the NHL next year or they move a goalie to make room for Holtby then I would think that there is still a decent chance that Holtby could be back for his last season in Junior but if he moves on to pro he truly deserves it,and if that would be the case then I do not think I would have much of a problem with Morrison being the starter.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Thats more wishful thinking than anything... If he is ready for the big league, they will likely make room for him if they have to. Holtby should be considered for the backup spot at the very least.

Varlamov's stock dropped very much after his stints in the international tournaments and the super series. You never know, he could bolt to Russia if he doesnt make the NHL next year.

CJSenterprise4
01-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Holtby is the best goalie in the East and other than maybe Tokarski or Pickard in the West best goalie in the WHL. He is better than Sexsmith as anybody posting on here could stop 12 shots a game and get a SO with the Giants.

Tidball
01-22-2009, 11:53 PM
staying calm at the deadline was great. The players just felt good about themselves and have thanked Lorne with thier play, these guys are a real close team on and off the ice and the morale is at an all time high.

My only beef with the team is ONE thing that Kytnar does. He takes too many minors. He plays a gritty game and puts up points which is awesome, but hes gotta be carefull with his hooks, lol.