PDA

View Full Version : scary incident

westbeach55
01-24-2009, 04:13 AM
Philadelphia Phantoms forward Garrett Klotz left the ice on a stretcher Friday after a viscous fight with Kevin Westgarth of Manchester ended with the winger suffering from a seizure.

Klotz was immediately taken to a hospital, where it was revealed he suffered lacerations but no fractures to his face. He was fully responsive and alert while being treated.

"It was a scary incident," said Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren. "But we just got word from our doctor that he's clear - there's no facial fracture. They're stitching him up - his jaw is fine and there's no tooth fracture or anything. It's a scary ordeal, but he's going to be fine."

Immediately following the opening faceoff, Klotz and Westgarth dropped the gloves. With their helmets off, the two went toe-to-toe at center ice, exchanging glancing blows.

The duel shifted towards the Monarchs' bench and Westgarth steadied before unleashing several haymakers to the head. Klotz was hit with an uppercut that caught him off guard and Westgarth continued with a pair of pin-point rights, the latter sending Klotz to the ice.

Though he did not hit his head on the ice, Klotz's knees were shaking uncontrollably and his eyes rolled to the back of his head as the stretcher quickly made its way towards the bloodied player.

Westgarth concernedly looked on from the penalty box as several Phantoms helped Klotz onto the stretcher and off to a local hospital.

Both fighters stood at 6-foot-5 with Westgarth weighing in at 247 pounds and Klotz at 235.

Philadelphia won the game, 2-1

tsn

wish Garett a speedy revovery defaintly scary situation though

Dwight Schrute
01-24-2009, 04:44 AM
hope he is fine but for real why is he in the ahl

Brandonite
01-24-2009, 08:09 AM
hope he is fine but for real why is he in the ahl

I hope the best for Garret Klotz for sure, a scary accident!! But I agree 100% even when he played for the Blades, how is this guy in the AHL? He is one tough S.O.B. thats for sure, hopefully this doesnt scare him away fromt he rough stuff because that is all he has to offer to the Flyers.

ProStaff
01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I hope the best for Garret Klotz for sure, a scary accident!! But I agree 100% even when he played for the Blades, how is this guy in the AHL? He is one tough S.O.B. thats for sure, hopefully this doesnt scare him away fromt he rough stuff because that is all he has to offer to the Flyers.
hope all is well too! I know most of you would only see him play a few games a year, but as a season ticket holder, I saw him alot and for a big 6'5 235lb he could skate pretty good and had good hands for a big guy. So for a big guy I can see why he was drafted and playing in the pros.