PDA

View Full Version : Dick Gibson

Bocephus
01-24-2009, 09:34 AM
By now we are all aware that DG is no longer part of the Hurricanes braodcast team. I for one am thrilled.
What I keep reading is that he was removed for his comments during the brawls at the end of the Canes/Tigers game. What I don't here is anything about his comments just before those brawls when fans were again leaving before the game was over. Gibson, anyway you spin it, went over the line and showed this city a huge amount of disrespect with his comments in regard to fans leaving before the final whistle. He basically berated the city and the fans with such a tone that our PbP man Pat was trying to get Gibson to clam up. Gibson's final response to Pat was, 'What do you expect Pat it's Lethbridge'.

Pete76
01-24-2009, 09:52 AM
how long will that sound byte live on ... priceless.

loudi94
01-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Regardless of whether or not the move was justified, I feel horrible for the man. He just retired and by all accounts was delighted to finally be able to travel with the team. He loves this team and to go from #1 supporter to someone who may not even feel welcome in the building has to be devastating. His dismissal certainly caused a buzz in the arena and not in a positive way.

hitmanfan
01-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Regardless of whether or not the move was justified, I feel horrible for the man. He just retired and by all accounts was delighted to finally be able to travel with the team. He loves this team and to go from #1 supporter to someone who may not even feel welcome in the building has to be devastating. His dismissal certainly caused a buzz in the arena and not in a positive way.
I guess he should have kept that crap to himself. He's on radio on a family type show. How would you explain that to a 2 year old who just learnt a new word. Plus your calling 16, 17 ,18 year old kids crap!

sbtatter
01-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Finally he has been booted, he was an embarrasment to the organization and the league as a colour commentator. I have no doubt he is the Canes #1 fan, but a #1 fan should not be commentating on air because his bias was brutal, made listening to the webcast as an opposing fan a painful exercise. Great move!!

SectionNDeserter
01-24-2009, 10:25 AM
This move is addition through subtraction. His on-air commentary reminded me of that person that sits near you at the hockey game every so often. You know, the one that is loud, severely intoxicated and obviously comes to 2 or 3 games a year. He is obviously a huge fan of the team, and it is a shame that he has turned so many of them against him with his on-air comments.

loudi94
01-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Neither of you get my point. I'm not talking about whether the decision to remove him was right- I think it was. I'm talking about showing compassion for the man.

Bocephus
01-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Neither of you get my point. I'm not talking about whether the decision to remove him was right- I think it was. I'm talking about showing compassion for the man.
I never caught any of the radio broadcast last night loudi. Was the subject of Gibson's dismissal touched on?

moon
01-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I never caught any of the radio broadcast last night loudi. Was the subject of Gibson's dismissal touched on?

I listened to 95% of the pregame show, including the first 15 minutes and I didn't hear anything.

I thought that Pat might address it right off the bat just to stop any rumours/speculation but he didn't.

I am not a fan of Dick, but I am not sure he is that bad as some make him out to be. I have not listened to a lot of other broadcasts but he was no more a homer than Ken Thrower is for the Hitmen.

I think the one difference between the two is that if that happened to the Hitmen rather than rant about it Thrower would likely have charged the ice and start throwing punches at the Tigers.

It seems like it was the right call but as loudi says it is unfortunate that it had to end like this for a guy that, for all his faults, really seemed to love being involved with the team.

loudi94
01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Somewhere whether he will admit to it or not, nielson11 is having a quiet little chuckle about the whole thing. It all goes back to the idea of hiring someone who wishes to make broadcasting their profession rather than a hobby. Oh well.

Arthur Fonzerelli
01-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I can't say that I've ever heard Dick Gibson, but Bill Willms on ShawTV doing a Giants game makes me want to hurl. :turkey:

loudi94
01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I can't say that I've ever heard Dick Gibson, but Bill Willms on ShawTV doing a Giants game makes me want to hurl. :turkey:
Interesting take on the situation, makes me think the comment regarding fans leaving early was the real problem:
http://blog.oregonlive.com/winterhawks/

"I don't get the hate for Dick Gibson. If you listen to WHL games, you hear almost that level of homerism all the time. There's just never an incident that brings it out that much. This is a standard that would get about 80% of the league's broadcasters fired in the same situation."

sbtatter
01-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Your man Dick is by far the worst colour guy, I've listened to most of them on the away webcasts.
I have no compassion for a guy who was consistently awful at his job, who was biased and basically an uniformed fool on the air. If it was a free service it would have been a little more tolerable, but I pay to see the webcasts and he was AWFUL!! Honestly, the Calgary guy isn't as biased as him. Keen wasn't even as much of a homer as him!!
Anyways, he can still go watch the games, so what's the big deal, incompetent employees get fired all the time, but they're not banning him from the rink are they? Now he just has to buy a ticket.

Pete76
01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Now he just has to buy a ticket.

That's Crap!

WHEATMAN
01-24-2009, 04:07 PM
That's Crap!

And you mean garbage! ;)

dondo
01-24-2009, 05:41 PM
from a non-Canes fan point of view I think its about freaking time... Dick was the biggest homer and he just couldn't keep his mouth shut. Listening to him broadcast in games in which my team was playing was laughable to the point of the ridiculous. never at a loss for something stupid and insanely biased to say he dug his own grave -- imnsho

good riddance and don't let the door....

surprisingly its what he ended up saying about Lethbridge which finally got him canned.

edit: agreed about Wilms AF he's become quite the cheerleader lately -- the problem is that Dan Russell brings that out of him -- I have to say Russell is a horrible PxP guy -- I personally can't stand him -- can't follow the play to save his life and that becomes readily apparent when he's calling games on the TV.

The thing is that I have had really good conversations with Wilms at Giants practices and he knows his stuff -- a few years back I thought he was pretty unbiased, but lately he's delved into cheerleader status and I for one don't like it. He seems to be better on the radio, than with Russell.

Bocephus
01-24-2009, 05:44 PM
surprisingly its what he ended up saying about Lethbridge which finally got him canned.

Is that actually true? I haven't heard anything official but I thought that may have been something the station took very seriously.

Nielson11
01-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Somewhere whether he will admit to it or not, nielson11 is having a quiet little chuckle about the whole thing. It all goes back to the idea of hiring someone who wishes to make broadcasting their profession rather than a hobby. Oh well.

nice to see i'm remembered in Lethbridge....mind you...I'm not sure what for hahaha....good luck down the stretch folks....looks like a well put together squad....I've talked with Beach on a couple of occasions...if he stays focused he will be a force!!

Best of luck from the land of money and oil...Fort Mac

dondo
01-26-2009, 02:24 PM
that's a big IF N11

Beatch is a ridiculously talented player who is and will be a force if he keeps his head.. the problem is that he rarely keeps his head and goes out of his way to do gutless thoughtless things just because.

and Bocephus.. I don't have any inside info here, it sounded like that's what the posters on here were saying or at least suggestioning, that his disrespect for the fans and team got him fired.

I do know that he was a homer's homer who couldn't keep his mouth shut and it was painful listening to him give commentary. :spineyes:

Oilersguy
01-26-2009, 04:23 PM
:clap: dancing pi :groovy: :wave:

I came on here to rant about Dick "Homer" Gibson and his rant on Wednesday night. It was such a pleasant sight to see that he was fired. That was the last straw. I have never heard an on air broadcaster rip into the local fans as bad as he did on Wednesday and I am not at all surprised he lost his job. I hope he does come back to Enmax Centre as a "normal" fan so we can give him some warm Lethbridge hospitality. The guy never belonged in broadcasting and hopefully will never be allowed to pick up another mic again. Good riddance.

moosedawg
01-27-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm pretty sure the main reason for the firing was when Canes assistant coach Matt Kabayama who is Japanese was being interviewed on the post-game show. Kabayama said he couldnt see see over the players so he didnt know what was going on to which the Gibson responded "don't use your background as an excuse"

Kabayama shot back quite abruptly with "I'm not, i'm just saying i'm short". He seemed quite ticked in the tone of his voice.

loudi94
01-27-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty sure the main reason for the firing was when Canes assistant coach Matt Kabayama who is Japanese was being interviewed on the post-game show. Kabayama said he couldnt see see over the players so he didnt know what was going on to which the Gibson responded "don't use your background as an excuse"

Kabayama shot back quite abruptly with "I'm not, i'm just saying i'm short". He seemed quite ticked in the tone of his voice.
interesting. not too sure about that one. i'll try to find out more.

moon
01-27-2009, 01:12 AM
I heard the background comment and if that is what got him fired that is pretty pathetic. He clearly didn't mean it in a derogatory way and I think the only reason that Kabayama may have been quick to respond was that he didn't want to seem as though that was what he was inferring.

It wasn't the smartest thing to say but are we now supposed to deny the fact that Japanese people tend to be shorter?

It isn't as though he said Matt was a bad coach/person etc. because of it. He said that he was short because of it. Stupid-Yes. Something he should be fired over-Hell no.

Of all the things Gibson (and other colour guys) have said that was pretty tame.

localguy
01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Commentator’s passion for ‘Canes was his downfall
Written by Dick Gibson
Monday, 26 January 2009

Let’s end the speculation and gossip. I am no longer working in the capacity as colour commentator on the Hurricanes’ broadcasts.
In order to relieve the station (94.1 the Lounge), their management and my former sidekick, Pat Siedlecki, the anguish of having to answer questions about my departure, I will clarify things.
Simply put, my passion for the game of hockey and our Lethbridge Hurricanes took rein over my mouth during the Lethbridge-Medicine Hat game Wednesday, which led to my being removed from the colour commentator’s position. CJOC-FM had no other recourse than to make that decision.
My passion for the game and the Hurricanes was my demise and, as a close friend said, “You were caught up in the action of the game.”
To those fans who have voiced their support, I thank you. To those who voiced their disapproval, don’t forget the Hurricanes’ success is what we all share in common.
Dick Gibson
Lethbridge
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

observer9
01-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Commentator’s passion for ‘Canes was his downfall
Written by Dick Gibson
Monday, 26 January 2009

Simply put, my passion for the game of hockey and our Lethbridge Hurricanes took rein over my mouth during the Lethbridge-Medicine Hat game Wednesday, which led to my being removed from the colour commentator’s position.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh really?? Does that passion include a racial remark to your assistant coach too?

Sounds a whole lot more like bigotry than passion. Wake up Dick it's 2009!

loudi94
01-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Oh really?? Does that passion include a racial remark to your assistant coach too?

Sounds a whole lot more like bigotry than passion. Wake up Dick it's 2009!
Terrible. Don't even go there. Unless you know the guy don't presume anything about him.