PDA

View Full Version : Rank the coaches!

Bocephus
01-25-2009, 11:13 AM
I keep hearing posters say that their team was outcoached. Based on that I would like to get a concensus of who are the best and worst coaches in the Dub.
Here are mine.
1 Hay - Vancouver
2 Desjardins - Medicine Hat
3 Lowry - Calgary
4 Molleken - Saskatoon

5 Nachbaur -Tri-City
6 Holick - Kootenay
7 McCrimmon - Brandon
8 Dyck - Lethbridge

9 Wallin - Red Deer
10 Pleau - Edmonton

11 Sumner - Seattle
12 Huska - Kelowna
13 Smith - Kamloops
14 Sauter - Spokane

15 Campese - Prince Albert
16 Klippenstein - Prince George
17 Johnston - Portland
18 Derkatch- Regina
19 Hunchak- Moose Jaw
20 Chynoweth - Swift Current
21 Becanic - Everett
22 Hiller - Chilliwack

tigsfan0809
01-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Being a Tiger fan, I agree with that list, I'm just curious as to why Willie is so high on the list, considering how sloppy the Tigers have been lately.....Not trying to sound like a whiner or anything, I think that's a great topic!!!

Scout
01-25-2009, 02:02 PM
I would put Desjardins and McCrimmon at the top. Sure Vancouver and Calgary have good coaches but they also are owned by high profile owners with bottomless pockets and an unbelievable scouting staff. MedHat and Brandon are on the same playing field as the rest of us yet they very seldom have a loosing season even when rebuilding. They get the most out of the players they have and they out coach the opposing teams.

Scout

Bocephus
01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Being a Tiger fan, I agree with that list, I'm just curious as to why Willie is so high on the list, considering how sloppy the Tigers have been lately.....Not trying to sound like a whiner or anything, I think that's a great topic!!!
For myself, I think Willie is amazing. I suppose as a Lethbridge fan I have seen him outcoach us on multiple occasions. I also love his energy and intensity. I actually find I watch him as much as I watch the game. Boogaard'd
As well, I find that every year I think the Tigers should take a step backwards and they've had too much of a talent drain you can still find them at or near the top of the standings. I believe the true reason I rank him high though is that he turned around a struggling program and continues to keep them on top despite the cyclical nature of the league.

Bocephus
01-25-2009, 02:29 PM
I would put Desjardins and McCrimmon at the top. Sure Vancouver and Calgary have good coaches but they also are owned by high profile owners with bottomless pockets and an unbelievable scouting staff. MedHat and Brandon are on the same playing field as the rest of us yet they very seldom have a loosing season even when rebuilding. They get the most out of the players they have and they out coach the opposing teams.

Scout

The one problem I have with McCrimmon is that I think his in-game management isn't the greatest. I think my top four are a tier ahead of the ones below them.
In fact, if I was to break my list into tiers I would go this way 1-4, 4-8, 9-10, 11-14, 15-22. I really could shuffle the order within those tiers quite easily.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
01-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Campese is a Junior A coach at best. He should be lower.

Bocephus
01-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Campese is a Junior A coach at best. He should be lower.
Spend 15 minutes and shuffle my list then to make your own.

Bruins_Booster
01-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Not sniping or trolling (and I'm not posting to complain about Hiller's placement at #22 as the Bruins' coach) but I'm thinking that there's more to the picture than just rating the coach. The coach can only take what's given to him and aim to mold his players into a solid team. The GM and the scouting team plays a HUGE part in what a coach is given to shape. For example, I could spend hours posting a plethora of links to the Bruinsfans forum about the continual debate our fan base has about Jim Hiller being in over his head, but if he doesn't have the horses its hard to judge his overall ability. JMHO...

scrunt
01-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Sure Vancouver and Calgary have good coaches but they also are owned by high profile owners with bottomless pockets and an unbelievable scouting staff.
Scout

I can't speak of the Calgary coach, but I must disagree with your comment regarding Don Hay in Vancouver. Most importantly, he had huge success in Kamloops long before he came to Vancouver, so it can't just be the big city-wealthy owner effect.

Also, at the start of this season, no one expected the Giants to be anywhere near as good as they have been, primarily because of the much lower talent level than previous years -- and he certainly hasn't been carried by his goalie! And without resorting to a totally boring fall back and wait defensive system (some may disgree).

Lastly, look at a player like CPZ - he was a highly talented but marginally motivated player that was not good enough to even make a minor pro team in his 20 y.o. season. Don Hay has turned him into a hard working, defensively responsible player who is now a valuable pro prospect.

And tag me as a homer if you want, but I'm usually very critical of my teams coaches over the years; however, in this case, I'm a big fan of Don Hay.

Scout
01-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Your right and i appologize. Don Hay has proven over and over again that he is one of the top coaches in the league. I stand corrected.

Scout

bruiserfan
01-27-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm Chilliwack Bruins fan from day 1 and I agree with the list...

wango tango
01-27-2009, 01:30 PM
right now if i was giving out coach of the year my votes would go to:

1st molleken
2nd holick
3rd lowry/hay

raise your hand if you had saskatoon picked anywhere close to first in the east, shocker no hands up. most had them for the basement, close to it, or just barely making the playoffs.

the ice roster compared to last season has been wiped out through player graduation, injuries, and trades. the fact they still hold down a playoff spot is a credit to the coaches and players.

many had the hitmen taking a step back this season, if anything they've taken a step up. and to keep a talented team like the giants motivated and at the top of their game when it would be easy to slide is great job.

scrunt
01-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Your right and i appologize. Don Hay has proven over and over again that he is one of the top coaches in the league. I stand corrected.

Scout

Hey, no need to apologize.

Anyway, I wish I knew more about some of the other coaches, but I find I don't pay that much attention to that part of the game. Nonetheless, here goes...

I would have to put Nachbaur near the top of the list, as well as Desjardins.

And yes, Lowry is up there in my mind, as the Hitmen were predicted to be a mid-pack team this year, and the coach has to be recognized for his team's success. Same for Molloken.

I like Bocephus's idea of groupings. I would add Nachbaur to the top, and split the bottom group into two, with the real bottom being:
Klippenstein - Prince George
Hunchak- Moose Jaw
Becanic - Everett
Hiller - Chilliwack

Johnston in Portland avoids being in my bottom group - only because he has nothin to work with.

Lastly, I think Dyck does not deserve to be in the second tier with Holick, given the unfulfilled expectations in Lethbridge -- maybe down with Sumner, Huska and Sauter.

RunTheGoalie
01-27-2009, 10:17 PM

Scout

Bottomless pockets or not, what Lowry has done in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year is nothing short of ridiculous. I don't think I'm even being a homer when I say he should be running away with the Dunc McCallum Trophy at this point. Such a refreshment after Kisio made a habit of coaching the Hitmen to underwhelming seasons or playoff finishes in his four years behind the bench.

I do agree with Hay and Dejardins ahead of him on Bocephus' list, though. Both have paid their dues as coaches in this league.