PDA

View Full Version : We know is coming but how?

Derek Sutton
01-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Even though i love to watch fighing, I would like to know if there are any ideas of how to eliminate it? They've been trying to eliminate hitting from behind for 20 years now and that hasn't happened yet. Other then handing out suspention after suspention after each fight, is there any other solutions out there?. To say it isn't neccessary or its not part of hockey won't hold any water, are gloves in the face part of hockey? what about every after whistle skirmish? these are some things that will need to be banned as one thing leads to another right? We know changes are coming but what will they be?

The first and simplest solution would be to make the linesmen step in when the players square off and start the shadow boxing, before they engage. I can't understand why "Kneejerk Branch" didnt come up with this as opposed to the helmet thing. It's too simple I guess and it wouldn't make any headlines, a simple email to the officials. This would make sure that fights start in the heat of the moment and are "part of the game" as opposed to the big square offs and retaliation/ pay back encounters which are just a show, yet enjoyable none the less. This may be the only way to keep fighting in the game and personally I dont know why this isn't already happening, especially in junior, nor has anyone even brought this up.

I heard Koulis on Hardcore Hockey Talk suggest that if theres a fight it they should play 4 on 4 for 5 minutes. I like it but if your down 3-1 why not start a fight, play 4 on 4 to open it up and try to get 2 goals? Another way to eliminate fighting would be full time 4 on 4, if it wern't for the NHLPA I personally belive that this is how they'd be playing right in the NHL right now.
And of course if we eliminate body contact all together.

Why is there little to no fighting in NCAA? and what will happen when a slapshot kills someone? heaven forbid.