PDA

View Full Version : Another Edmonton to WHL Article

ScottyWazz
04-16-2005, 10:16 PM
From the Edmonton Sun. (http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Sports/2005/04/16/999933-sun.html)

RunTheGoalie
04-16-2005, 11:29 PM
I think if someone was going to sell, it would have happened by now. I still maintain that the Oilers only hope is to find someone in Winnipeg willing to put a team there and try a joint expansion bid for Edmonton and Winnipeg. The WHL has stated it's happiness with 20 teams, but can it resist the lure of two extremely large markets?

C.F
04-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Are the Oilers willing to send the Roadrunner packing if they manage to land a WHL team? Same with Winnipeg.

ScottyWazz
04-17-2005, 01:37 AM
Well, they can't really house three teams in the Rexall Place. Especially with the AHL's wacky lines and goalie marks and all that jazz. I bet they would unload the Road Runners if they get a Dub team. I don't think that Winnipeg would be willing to part with the Moose just yet. Of course, that could change in a heart-beat, but the Moose will be there for a while

C.F
04-17-2005, 02:20 AM
Well, they can't really house three teams in the Rexall Place. Especially with the AHL's wacky lines and goalie marks and all that jazz. I bet they would unload the Road Runners if they get a Dub team. I don't think that Winnipeg would be willing to part with the Moose just yet. Of course, that could change in a heart-beat, but the Moose will be there for a while
If Staples Centre can house 2 NBA teams, 1 WNBA team, 1 NHL team and 1 Arena football team, I'm sure Rexall place could house 3 hockey teams. ;)

If the Dub goes to Edmonton, they'd HAVE to give up the 'Runners. If they were to stay, I wouldn't be suprised if both teams failed.

Hitmen1
04-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Rexall could be home to all three teams but there is no way that the people and fans of edmonton support all 3 teams. The Roadrunners had decent crowds this year but nothing great. If they land a dub team here in Edmonton, the Roadrunners are gone.

RunTheGoalie
04-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Edmonton would ditch the Roadrunners, and the article has Cal Nichols pretty much stating that.

I'd imagine Winnipeg could have both the AHL and WHL, but I have no idea if it could even work. I was just saying that Edmonton is likely only getting a team via expansion, and it would need a very strong lure to get the WHL to come off of it's "20 teams is perfect" stance. I think the last two major markets available coming in together would do that.

Rooselk
04-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Perhaps the way to get around the WHL's "20 teams is perfect" stance is to convince them that "24 is better." In other words, add one team to each division. Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Chilliwack might be good candidates for the WHL. Now if we can only find a candidate city for the US Division...

I wouldn't mind seeing another team in Oregon but I doubt that there is an available facility to play in. The same is true with Washington cities like Wenatchee, Yakima, or Vancouver.

HAF
04-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Perhaps the way to get around the WHL's "20 teams is perfect" stance is to convince them that "24 is better." In other words, add one team to each division. Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Chilliwack might be good candidates for the WHL. Now if we can only find a candidate city for the US Division...

I wouldn't mind seeing another team in Oregon but I doubt that there is an available facility to play in. The same is true with Washington cities like Wenatchee, Yakima, or Vancouver.

If a team were to come to Oregon the only two towns that would make sense would be either Salem or Eugene. Both cities have the facilities but would need to put in rinks.
I really dont see either one happening though.

C.F
04-17-2005, 04:58 PM

Why not realine the divisions all together. Bring in 4 new teams, and re-do the divisions. It could mean less travel, and the league wouldn't have to bring in another US team(not saying it's bad to have another US team, I just can't think of a city that would fit). Even if we don't bring in 4 new teams, I would like to see some changes in the divisions. Or, why not just throw out the divisions all together! You know there's something wrong when Moose Jaw makes the playoffs and Swift Current doesn't. Conferences are the way to go.

Chipper
04-17-2005, 04:59 PM
If a team were to come to Oregon the only two towns that would make sense would be either Salem or Eugene. Both cities have the facilities but would need to put in rinks.
I really dont see either one happening though.
The biggest problem with adding four more teams is the talent pool that we need to have all these teams. I don't think there is enough tallent to play "Major Junior". We would end up the calibre of junior A hockey and lose fan suport. on the other side if they add only one more team to the B.C division there would be an unfair advantage to the other divisions as far as playoffs. only one team missing the playoffs and playoff $ compared to two teams missing the playoff $ in all the other divisions.