PDA

View Full Version : Cowen - Knee Injury

Pete76
01-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Damn, did he blow his ACL or what?

Ice Doctor
02-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Damn, did he blow his ACL or what?
I have not heard anything else, what 's the word?

Pete76
02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
heard they have to wait for the swelling to go down before they get an accurate diagnosis ... saw him at the game on Sat - he was on crutches.

LifelongChiefsFan
02-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah, from what I understood, they hadn't had a chance to do any tests through the weekend because the knee was still swelled up too much. They may have been able to get a diagnosis today, I'm not sure. I would imagine we'll hear something definitive sometime in the next couple of days. I don't think there's any question he's going to miss a few games, we just gotta hope it's not a season ending injury. That would be terrible for Jared heading into the draft in June.

Speaking of injuries, does anyone know if McCrae or Letts will be ready in time for the Vancouver game?

Pete76
02-02-2009, 08:51 PM
As far as his draft status ... with 2 years to sign, I wouldn't think a knee injury would change his draft position too much ...

HomerSimpson
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
All I know is what I saw. As they took him down the tunnel, you could hear him moaning and groaning in obvious pain and he wasn't even putting weight on that knee. Gotta think any knee injury like that is at least a 4-6 weeker; but like the rest of you, have to wait and see.

Chief Jeff
02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
News just in that Cowen is out for the year. Chiefs website is saying surgery and a 5 month rehab. I just hope it doesn't hurt his draft position too badly.

LifelongChiefsFan
02-05-2009, 04:30 PM
News just in that Cowen is out for the year. Chiefs website is saying surgery and a 5 month rehab. I just hope it doesn't hurt his draft position too badly.

That's really too bad for Jared. We'll definitely see a drop in his draft position, but just how far remains to be seen. The good news is that most athletes are able to regain their former prowess even after the worst ACL injuries. More good news for the Chiefs and Chiefs fans is that although he'll miss the remainder of the season, this injury very likely buys Cowen another year in Spokane, whereas he probably would have stuck in the NHL next year otherwise.

Here's to a speedy recovery without setbacks for Jared. I really feel badly for him.

sbtatter
02-05-2009, 04:31 PM
That sucks for him and the chiefs. I don't think it'll hurt his draft position too much, everyone has seen how good a d-man he is........

Pete76
02-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Man, tough deal for Cowen ...

Chief Jeff
02-05-2009, 04:43 PM
At least the Chiefs are deep with D-men. Glass was great on Saturday night and with Reddington back they should be able to take up the slack.

LifelongChiefsFan
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
At least the Chiefs are deep with D-men. Glass was great on Saturday night and with Reddington back they should be able to take up the slack.

I definitely agree with that. We know already how solid Reddington, Glass, Spurgeon and Ulmer are. Bartman has taken huge strides this year and Baldwin and Kichton have sure come on lately as well. I think Baldwin will be getting a lot more time on the back end now because the Chiefs sure got a lot smaller on the back end now that Cowen is out. With McCrae and Letts due to come back too, I wonder if we might see Donaghy play some D here and there.

It's just a shame that this Chiefs team will finish the season never having played a single game with their full complement of players. So it goes with hockey I suppose.

dondo
02-05-2009, 06:01 PM
You really hate to see this kind of thing happen, especially during their draft year as Jared was doing so well. Hopefully the NHL teams are smart enough to look past the injury, but he'll definitely drop a few spots -- it's a pretty deep draft again this year and it won't take much to shift players around in the rankings.

The team that does take the chance won't be disappointed though, this kid is a player from what I've seen.

HomerSimpson
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
You really hate to see this kind of thing happen, especially during their draft year as Jared was doing so well. Hopefully the NHL teams are smart enough to look past the injury, but he'll definitely drop a few spots -- it's a pretty deep draft again this year and it won't take much to shift players around in the rankings.

The team that does take the chance won't be disappointed though, this kid is a player from what I've seen.

Have to agree with your last point. The NHL team that drafts him will have two years to sign him - plenty of time to get him healthy and developed for the NHL game. He's already mature enough to be there anyways, IMO. It will be alot like Logan Couture a couple years back - a San Jose will come along and desperately want to select him, either moving up or using their high pick to take him despite the injury.

Good luck to Jared on a speedy and full recovery.