PDA

View Full Version : Raiders 1 @ Broncos 3

Big Ern
02-01-2009, 02:14 AM
The Swift Current Broncos revenged last night's OT loss in PA with a 3-1 win over the visiting Raiders tonight. In the process the Broncos concluded a stretch in which they took 7 of the last 8 possible points to regain some footing in the Eastern Conference.

-it was by no means the most entertaining game the fans were treated to all year.....and predictably so with a PA team coming in that loves the defensive plug-it-up style of play.

-the Raiders did a great job getting in lanes, blocking shots, and slowing things down. They played the perfect road game.

-on the other side, the Broncos found a way to win what was mostly a one-goal game.

-the young guys battled really really hard....Jordan Peddle, Dillon Wagner and Taylor Vause come to mind.

-G Steven Stanford played great for a second straight night, as he stymied the Broncos' repeated offensive efforts and kept giving his club chances to win.

-Geordie Wudrick had one of his stronger games. He scored the game-tying goal in a net-front scrum at 14:58 of the second period. He also laid out a couple great hits, and finished with a +3 rating.

-the Broncos' transition game seemed to have a bit of trouble getting going through period one and parts of period two. It's a matter of opinion if the cause was the lack of intensity on the part of the homeside, or the PA Raiders' defensive setup.

-the Raiders' powerplay lived up to it's great numbers and proved deadly again as Dustin Cameron made the score 1-0 on their first man advantage.

-don't let Cody Eakin's lower offensive numbers fool you. The Broncos' sparkplug, despite the occasional point drought, is still a load to contend with for the opposing team shift after shift. It seems like every time Eaks has the puck it results in a chance on goal.

-G Travis Yonkman looked way better tonight than he has of late...Yonks held the fort and looked totally confident in doing so.

-the Broncos have a handful of pretty steady stay-at-home defensemen. Joel Rogers and Spencer McAvoy really helped in limiting the Raiders' opportunities in this one.

-the powerplay went 0/4...yet another night without a PP tally. Again, the Broncos will have to find ways to get contributions from this area. Powerplay puck movement hasn't been bad and in fact has looked great at times. But a little bird told me the Broncos will have to start shooting more and keeping things simple to enjoy some success on the man advantage.

-Liam Darraugh scored the winner at 6:05 of the third period, and drew a +2 tonight.

-Johnny Negrin, who had another solid game, took a desperate shot at the Raider goal with PA pressuring late, fell to his knees and celebrated as the puck hit the empty net a mile away for the 3-1 score.

So the Broncos took 7 out of a possible 8 points in their last 4 games and are now just two points behind the Medicine Hat Tigers for home ice advantage in the playoffs. Prince Albert played them tough in all three meetings during this stretch, and the road win in Moose Jaw obviously didn't come easy either. So great job by the boys this last week.

Coming in next Friday will be the Calgary Hitmen. The Broncos are 0-3 versus the Hitmen but have scored first and led Calgary at least once in all three meetings. It seems like they start out great against the Hitmen squad, but then falter just long enough for the hungry Hitmen to take over the game or get a whiff of blood and go for the kill. The 2-1 loss here in Swift on Remembrance Day was probably the best game of the three for Swift Current, a contest in which I thought they deserved a better fate after battling hard for 60 minutes. We'll see what next Friday brings....it is sure to be a very entertaining fourth tilt between these two teams.

Calgary's visit will be followed by the Red Deer Rebels checking in a week from tonight.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

EXTRAS:

-just for the hell of it I caught the third period of a fight filled affair tonight in Spokane, as the Chiefs beat the Kootenay Ice 6-0. To say it was entertaining is an understatement. Kootenay's Ian Barteaux received a game misconduct after throwing a water bottle at a fan who was bothering him verbally and is sure to hear from the league about that. Former Bronco James Martin even had a tilt late in the game and got in a few great punches. Anyhow....

-I'm moving across town in a few days so I'm sure next weekend will be hectic...but I WILL catch both home games.

-the SC Legionnaires started a two game weekend home set by beating the Battleford Stars 7-3 this afternoon at the i-Plex. Tomorrow's game is at 1 PM.....

-a friend asked me during the game if his two kids could somehow get their Bronco hats autographed by Matt Tassone, who of course is nursing a hurt shoulder and was in the stands tonight. I told Matt about it and he took the time to wait in the lobby until they arrived from Section N before signing their hats. Thanks a lot Tazz.

-and yes it took a while.........but the Dallas Stars are ROLLING! lol

Have a super Sunday. :)

Dwight Schrute
02-01-2009, 06:33 AM
-it was by no means the most entertaining game the fans were treated to all year.....and predictably so with a PA team coming in that loves the defensive plug-it-up style of play.
pa hasnt exactly been a defensive strength this year. years past yes. this years been more scoring less defensive focus

Tidball
02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, PA has been more of a let lots of goals in then score a few type team this year.

sbtatter
02-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah, PA has been more of a let lots of goals in then score a few type team this year.Similar to the Blades the 3 previous seasons then....