PDA

View Full Version : Game5 vs the Hitmen

Scout
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
FRIDAY'S GAME: The Swift Current Broncos and Calgary Hitmen meet up for the 4th and final time this season.

The Broncos are coming off 6 days in between games and the start of 3 games in 3 nights...The Broncos are coming off a 3-1 win over the visiting Prince Albert Raiders last Saturday night...It completed a back end of a home and home between the clubs...For the 4th straight game Swift Current’s opponent would score first as PA had a 1-0 lead after one period of play...Geordie Wudrick would then score late in the 2nd period to tie the game after 40 minutes...Liam Darragh then tallied his 1st goal as a Bronco midway through the 3rd period to put Swift Current ahead... John Negrin would then secure the victory with an empty netter...Both Negrin and Wudrick had a goal and an assist in the game...Travis Yonkman made 30 saves and notched his 17th win of the season...The Broncos went 0 for 3 on the power-play and are now 0 for their last 14 on the man advantage in the last 3 games...The Raiders went 1 for 4 on the man advantage...Swift Current has taken 7 of a possible 8 points in the last 4 games.

NUMBERS: Keegan Dansereau leads the Broncos with 58 points...Dansereau has 15 goals and 31 points in his last 21 games...Dansereau has points in 7 of his last 8 games, tallying 12 points in that span...He also leads the team with 17 multi-point games on the season...Dansereau is tied for 8th in the WHL in goals with 30 and leads the WHL in power-play goals with 17…Matt Tassone leads the team with 31 goals...He has 24 goals in his last 30 games...Tassone is tied for 6th in WHL goal scoring...Tassone has points in 6 straight games notching 9 points in those games…Eric Doyle leads the team with 36 assists and is tied for 5th in scoring for WHL defensemen with 46 points…John Negrin is tied for 7th in the WHL for defensemen scoring with 42 points, he has 11 points in 9 games as a Bronco including 4 straight games with at least 1 point…Geordie Wudrick has 7 goals and 14 points in his last 11 games and he has points in 6 of his last 7 games... Michael Stickland has points in 7 of his last 9 games…The Broncos have not been shut-out in a league best 133 straight games…Taylor Vause leads all rookies for Swift Current with 22 points on the season, he has points in 4 of his last 5 games.

AT HOME: The Broncos are 15-10-0-1 at home and 4-3 versus the Central Division at home.

REGULAR SEASON VS. Calgary: Tonight is the 4th and final meeting this season between the Hitmen and Broncos...Calgary has won the previous 3 meetings...Jan. 11 - SC 3 at Cgy 7; Nov. 28 - SC 7 at Cgy 9; Nov.11 - Cgy 2 at SC 1...The Broncos are 10-14-1-2 against Calgary over the last five years...Geordie Wudrick leads the Broncos with 3 points against the Hitmen this season, all goals.

MILESTONES: Keegan Dansereau is 7 games shy of 300 for his career…John Negrin is 2 assists shy of 100 for his career…Brad Hoban is 4 games shy of 100 for his career...Geordie Wudrick is 1 game shy of 200 for his career...Matt Tassone is 9 points shy of 100 for his career…Cody Eakin is 9 games shy of 100 for his career…Joel Rogers is 8 games shy of 100 for his career.

SPECIAL TEAMS: The Broncos power-play is 50 for 262, 19.1% (11th) and the penalty kill is 81.9%, giving up 49 goals on 270 tries (8th).

ROSTER: The Broncos roster currently consists of 23 players...The team has 3 – 20 year old players, 6 – 19 year old players, 7 – 18 year old players, 6 – 17 year old players, and 1 – 16 year old player.

UPCOMING GAMES: The Broncos host Red Deer Saturday night and head to Saskatoon on Sunday and travel to Regina on Wednesday.

DRAFTED BRONCOS: John Negrin (Calgary ’07)…Ryan Molle (New Jersey ‘07)…Matt Tassone (Dallas ’08)...Geordie Wudrick (LA ’08)…Morgan Clark (Vancouver ’08).

Scout

Scout
02-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Keen's Korner

Friday, February 06, 2009

The Broncos begin a busy weekend by hosting quite possibly the best team in the Nation tonight.

The Calgary Hitmen continue their steamroll with a record of 45-7-3-1 to lead the Eastern Conference.

While prepping this morning, it's tough not to get impressed with the "numbers" around the Calgary Hitmen.

45 wins, 27-2-1-0 on home ice this season and a powerplay clicking at over 31%.

Individually there are some eye-catching numbers too. Former Bronco defenseman Paul Postma is leading all WHL d-men in scoring with 18-46-64. Put that with a team leading +43 and you can see what kind of a season he's having.

Up front you have Brandon Kozun's team leading 83 points, Brett Sonne's 34 goals and 74 points and don't forget about Joel Broda's 40 goals.

The Hitmen have six players over 20 goals and may have nine players by the end of the season.

They are an impressive group there's no denying that.

For the Broncos, it's a matter of building on some recent success. They've picked up seven of a possible eight points in their last four games. They are playing better as a team and Travis Yonkman is coming off his best start in goal since the B.C. road swing in mid December.

Matt Tassone is back in the line-up after missing last weekend's two games with injury. He knows the game plan going in.

"We have always started out fine against them until we get into penalty trouble. That's a key, don't take penalties and play them five-on-five and I think we will do just fine." - Tassone

Ottawa Senators Head Coach Cory Clousten headlines tonight's pre-game show which rolls out at 7pm. Play-by-play at 7:30pm

See you tonight....

Jon
www.jonkeen.blogspot.com

Scout

stick boy
02-07-2009, 12:16 AM
1. The Broncos came out hard, played really well 5 on 5 and played a pretty damn smart game. I hope this is our real team.

2. The Hitmen stunk, yet had no problem winning a game that was really never in doubt, they are that good.

3. The officiating was awful, I usually never complain about the officiating b/c you have no control over it by WOW. A blatant punch to the back of Tassone's head and ....nothing. U know the ref knew he blew it b/c he didn't give Taz a penalty or misconduct for nearly breaking a $150 stick at his feet. Rule of thumb for refs is you don't further punish a player/coach when you blew the call in the first place.

4. Bortis is absolutely classless for that post-game charade. Little debate there

5. Our goaltending is costing us right now. We have gone from having perhaps the best 1-2 tandem in the league to a number one guy that is getting outplayed badly by the other team's back-up. You just can't compete with a team like Calgary without solid or spectacular goaltending.

Hope we bring the same intensity Saturday against the Rebels.

hitmanfan
02-07-2009, 12:18 AM
What did Bortis do to offend?

stick boy
02-07-2009, 12:26 AM
played a good game, goal and three assists, then skates onto the ice as the first star, sticks his nose in the air while waving his hands trying to rile up the crowd.

AlanC
02-07-2009, 02:11 AM
played a good game, goal and three assists, then skates onto the ice as the first star, sticks his nose in the air while waving his hands trying to rile up the crowd.

Rile up the crowd? He was looking for some appreciation. He played two years there and tonight was his last-ever game in Swift Current unless the teams meet in the playoffs.

bronco rep
02-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Yonks has to pic it up plain & simple. He knows we know it. 5-5 i thought we played or out played them. PP that was difference. Brutal reffing. I liked the effort & in the second if those two shots dont hit the crossbar & post its a different story. Overall the boys played there asses off. applause

hitmanfan
02-07-2009, 07:15 AM
I think you may have taken it wrong. I have never seen Kyle do anything "Beach-Like". From his 1st game a as a Hitmen he high fived all his team mates on the way to the room. You should watch Beach, Bortis will look like a saint.

Offsider
02-07-2009, 07:18 AM
THE Boys Played a great game 5 on 5 we beat them. Calgary a very good team but not until Papp and Byblow started making calls up did Calgary have the game in hand Three Brutal calls Tassone’s trip Negrins interference and Vause for elbowing all B@#$%$t These two should be made to watch this game with there peers and explain their calls and missed calls . Late in the game Kozun is allowed to two had Clark with the puck in his catcher and no Call .Worst is NO BRONCO protected or stood up for there goalie . Officials in the NBA on the take hope the WHL Monitors Papp and Byblows bank account. Broncos played a great game keep it up Boys !!!

transplantedbronco
02-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Papp and Byblow should be ashamed of themselves, they ruined a great game. If you want to call a close third period then fine but it has to BOTH ways. That was a disgrace. We lost that game 4 - 3 not 6 -3 in my books. Papp and Byblow should be credited with 1 assist each. The sad part is this is happening way too often with Calgary all over the league. I am not knocking Calgary they are a great team but they have a weakness. But the refs in this league dont allow anyone to exploit their weakness. And they keep getting handed pp after pp after pp. For both refs to miss some of the crap is brutal.

Broncos dont get down on yourselves you played a hell of a game and deserved a better fate. You were in this game until the Clowns decided they needed to give their own kind of show. Keep playing like that and great things will happen.

transplantedbronco
02-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Rile up the crowd? He was looking for some appreciation. He played two years there and tonight was his last-ever game in Swift Current unless the teams meet in the playoffs.
He was show boatin and we all know it as he will never get much love here. Thats what happens when you ask to be traded and then float aroung until it happens.

Toswammi
02-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Papp and Byblow should be ashamed of themselves, they ruined a great game. If you want to call a close third period then fine but it has to BOTH ways. That was a disgrace. We lost that game 4 - 3 not 6 -3 in my books. Papp and Byblow should be credited with 1 assist each. The sad part is this is happening way too often with Calgary all over the league. I am not knocking Calgary they are a great team but they have a weakness. But the refs in this league dont allow anyone to exploit their weakness. And they keep getting handed pp after pp after pp. For both refs to miss some of the crap is brutal.

Broncos dont get down on yourselves you played a hell of a game and deserved a better fate. You were in this game until the Clowns decided they needed to give their own kind of show. Keep playing like that and great things will happen.

Yeah the Broncos played great, but once again against Calgary it seemed like they had to play against the team in black and the crew in the stripes. Not trying to start the conspiracy thing, but everytime we play Calgary it seems that at some point the refs play a part in the game (soft penalties to put them on a 5-3, blatantly missed calls, disallowed goals even though it was a goal, etc).
Anyhow if we can consistantly play like we did in the first 40 minutes tonight it will be a blow out, and if we do it in Saskatoon we will take 2 more points there.

Toswammi
02-07-2009, 09:19 AM
He was show boatin and we all know it as he will never get much love here. Thats what happens when you ask to be traded and then float aroung until it happens.

I still have respect for Bortis. The kid is good on the ice, and really was becoming a scapegoat for a lot of stuff in Swift here. really don't blame him for wanting out.

smackitsakic
02-07-2009, 09:40 AM
In my opinion, which apparantly is worth very little these days anyhow, is that the Broncos played a pretty solid game but got beat by a top 2 team in the WHL.

The Broncos were not in the same category as the Hitmen last night, and I think part of the reason they took a lot of their penalties was due to the fact that Calgary is a fast skating, high energy team with one of the best breakouts i've seen in a long time. Were there some weak calls? Yes. Were some of the calls definite penalties? Yes.

There is no conspiracy with the Hitmen - good teams draw penalties. I certainly agree that the game could have been called better than it was, but it's tough to blame the loss on reffing with a 6-2 final score.

I thought Calgary's power play was stunning last night - passing was tape to tape, and every player knew exactly what to do and where to be.

The biggest disappointment for me was the two occassions that Broncos goalies took questionable hits. Yonkman got run, and Clark got run, but nobody on the roster appeared to do anything about it - isn't a cardinal rule in hockey that if you run my goalie, i'll run you?

Broncos impressed me with their effort last night, but the Hitmen are just that good. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back tonight.

Toswammi
02-07-2009, 11:00 AM
In my opinion, which apparantly is worth very little these days anyhow, is that the Broncos played a pretty solid game but got beat by a top 2 team in the WHL.

The Broncos were not in the same category as the Hitmen last night, and I think part of the reason they took a lot of their penalties was due to the fact that Calgary is a fast skating, high energy team with one of the best breakouts i've seen in a long time. Were there some weak calls? Yes. Were some of the calls definite penalties? Yes.

There is no conspiracy with the Hitmen - good teams draw penalties. I certainly agree that the game could have been called better than it was, but it's tough to blame the loss on reffing with a 6-2 final score.

I thought Calgary's power play was stunning last night - passing was tape to tape, and every player knew exactly what to do and where to be.

The biggest disappointment for me was the two occassions that Broncos goalies took questionable hits. Yonkman got run, and Clark got run, but nobody on the roster appeared to do anything about it - isn't a cardinal rule in hockey that if you run my goalie, i'll run you?

Broncos impressed me with their effort last night, but the Hitmen are just that good. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back tonight.

If the Broncos can score early tonight, it could be a long night for Red Deer. Especially after being throttled last night.

stick boy
02-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Personally I have zero respect for Bortis, he never played hard for the Broncos while he was here. How many games has the guy played at the iplex since being traded? 5 or six i would guess, and he never did anything to disrespect the players, coaches, or fans until after all the players had left the ice and likely he will will never play against the Broncos again. That is cowardly in my books.

Hey Smackit I disagree that we were not in Calgary's league, we had them pinned in their own end for long stretches in the first two periods and were outshooting them for the majority of the game. Take away Yonks' two bad goals in the first period and that is a way different game.

But I couldn't agree with you more on the goaltenders getting run and we have no answers, don't make guys accountable for cheap shots like that. Part of that is the personnel that we have in my mind. Clark did not look very happy with his teammates when he was leaving the ice, and I couldn't really blame him.

Hitmen1
02-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I can't comment on the penalties that the Broncos took but the bottom line is teams have to kill of those penalties whether they were good calls or not. The Hitmen are at the top because of their special teams. The Hitmen penalty killing has really come down the last few weeks but their power play is unreal. It literally wins them games. They are clicking at a 31.5% on the power play and have 92 power play goals in just 57 games. Too me they have an NHL caliber power play especially with that first unit having Postma and Stone on the point, both can move the puck very well and both have bombs from the point. Bottom line is regardless of the refs you cannot put yourself in a position to take penalties against the Hitmen because they are deadly on the power play.

ointhecreek
02-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Bottom line is regardless of the refs you cannot put yourself in a position to take penalties against the Hitmen because they are deadly on the power play.
It's not a question of the broncos putting themselves in the position, it's the question of phantom calls on the Broncos (elbowing on Vause) and blatant missed calls, Tassone getting punched twice in the back of the head in front of Byblow six feet away. I'm starting to be a believer of SAJ's theory of the reffs calling more penalties in favor of the hitmen. Not quite there yet but makes you wonder. Didn't think I'd ever say that.

Broncs in RD
02-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Phantom calls or not, when you coach you teach the players they have to play through adversity. They have no control over what the Refs calls. Sure it may suck and be a bad call and so on, but It is up to the players to kill off those penalties, and when you get your chances you have to finish them and put it away. Whoever thinks we are in the same league as Calgary are crazy there are maybe 4 teams in Canada who can play with them.
5 on 5 we may have played them well, but in the era of hockey it is all about SPECIAL TEAMS. You have to win in allareas of the ice. Tonight we lost the Special teams battle....the goaltender battle....the list goes on. Lose is a lose. Go get the Rebels tonight. Go Broncos Go

Speedy Broncs
02-07-2009, 01:48 PM
1. thought the Broncos played a good game last night, good effort through the first 2 periods. Tough to come back against a good team in the 3rd when down 1 or 2, but even tougher when you are battling when always shorthanded.
2. Hitmen are a great team - cannot take that away from them. But, we have played them well and I think we did outplay them 5 on 5 last night for the most part. But, the Hitmen have their systems, conditioning (they never stop coming at you), and the talent to boot.
3. Bortis - he got screwed here in Swift, was not in Deano's good books, never got a chance to really show his talent. As a result, he did float around and got nailed by the fans for it. I don't blame him one bit for wanting out of here - look at the talent that both he and Postma have these days. Not taking away the fact that they are playing on super-good team, but they are contributing quite fine thank you very much.
BUT ... did not like his post-game antics either. He absolutely pulled the showboat card - agree with Hitmen fans that he is not like that, but he did pull that card last night!!!!! He knew he was being an a** and gave that grin on the way out to show it. Bortis - you should know better than that ... Dean was not watching you, so don't do it!!

Play that way again tonight Broncs and you will do well - and even though we will be 3 games in 3 nights against the Blades, go north and kick some a**.

ointhecreek
02-07-2009, 03:21 PM
How do you play through penalties that just aren't there? Called for no reason? The rest of your post I agree with, our special teams suck big time lately. Power play non-existent. Doesn't help when whats suppose to be one of our best d-man keeps giving up the puck in our own end for a goal and shoots the puck over the glass from outside the blue line on a power play. Other then that the guys played great 5on5.

Broncs in RD
02-07-2009, 05:16 PM
I mean there is no reason for the players to stop playing when a crap call is made, get out there kill the penalty. Suck it up and battle. get back to basics. Freeze the puck, chip it off the glass. do what it takes, but to complain about the reffing is pointless they made the call why let it affect your game.

ointhecreek
02-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I see what you mean now and agree to a point, but against the hitmen powerplay it's a pretty tough task with it running about 33% or so. Most of the time I won't b*tch about officiating because most times a team will bring it on themselves but this game was just brutally called.