PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver 2/6/09

Pete76
02-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Best team I have seen all year ... love the way they spread the ice and move the puck around!

old_time_hockey
02-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Heard the 1st, missed part of the 2nd and 3rd.

Sounded like a good game. Back and forth, good saves at both ends. That is the first penalty shot against this season for the Giants. Wish I could have been there.

2 of our fans made the trip down. They sit in my section at the PC. They are doing the whole 3 in 3 (Spoke, Portland Seattle). Sounds like they picked a good game to go to.

dondo
02-09-2009, 01:20 PM
damn rights we did! -- yee haa! -- super fast game --- both teams had blazing speed on the night and Sexy was pretty solid.

Must say a big thanks to the Chiefs faithful at the arena for welcoming us and being generous and respectful as I hope we were as well. A couple of Giants fans who made the trek down from Nelson BC sat behind us and although they went a tad over-the-top sometimes they were pretty damn funny the whole time as well.

great seats! Thanks Pete76 for all of your help there it was greatly appreciated and thanks also to chiefaholic red lion bbq mmm mm tasty.

scrunt
02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
great seats! Thanks Pete76 for all of your help there it was greatly appreciated and thanks also to chiefaholic red lion bbq mmm mm tasty.

I second that! Thanks guys for the warm welcome. dondo and I had a great time in Spokane, and the local fans were very friendly and welcoming.

I hope we meet you in the playoffs!

Pete76
02-09-2009, 09:10 PM
you are welcome guys .... thanks for beating our arsses ... and then losing to seattle?

LifelongChiefsFan
02-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Best team I have seen all year ... love the way they spread the ice and move the puck around!

I only had a chance to listen on the radio, but to me it sounded like Spokane was able to play Vancouver evenly up until the Giants' first goal. After that it seemed like the Giants started controlling the play more and more. I wouldn't say that Vancouver dominated Spokane, but they did control the flow of the game and were never really in danger of losing the lead. I felt after Johnson missed the penalty shot that Spokane would get shut out. There were spurts of offense here and there, but they just didn't seem to be able to get pressure on Sexsmith consistently to be much of a threat. Obviously my views may have changed somewhat if I had actually gotten to see the game, but I feel that as well as the Giants played, they didn't even play their best game. I have a hard time believing that anyone can beat the Giants in a 7 game series. But I also would like for the Chiefs to have the opportunity to play Vancouver in April. :)

To those who made the trek to Spokane, I'm glad you enjoyed the game and had a good time. The Arena is a very nice hockey venue.

dondo
02-10-2009, 01:17 PM
you are welcome guys .... thanks for beating our arsses ... and then losing to seattle?

I know.... :mad: Boogaard'd ... I actually was ready for a loss that trip, but I thought it would be to you guys, the shutout completely surprised me..

Pete76
02-10-2009, 02:04 PM
The radio did not do the game justice ... Vancouver coulda' scored 8 goals IMO ... their first goal was b/c the defender did not push the forward out of the crease ... just let him stand their ... It reminded me of watching the Spoke / Lethbridge series from last year ... It has to be a wakeup call ... we aer going to have to play tougher and grind out our goals against high powered teams like Vancouver ... as far as the loss on Sunday for us ... I'm sure boys were pretty tired after three in 3 days.

I only had a chance to listen on the radio, but to me it sounded like Spokane was able to play Vancouver evenly up until the Giants' first goal. After that it seemed like the Giants started controlling the play more and more. I wouldn't say that Vancouver dominated Spokane, but they did control the flow of the game and were never really in danger of losing the lead. I felt after Johnson missed the penalty shot that Spokane would get shut out. There were spurts of offense here and there, but they just didn't seem to be able to get pressure on Sexsmith consistently to be much of a threat. Obviously my views may have changed somewhat if I had actually gotten to see the game, but I feel that as well as the Giants played, they didn't even play their best game. I have a hard time believing that anyone can beat the Giants in a 7 game series. But I also would like for the Chiefs to have the opportunity to play Vancouver in April. :)

To those who made the trek to Spokane, I'm glad you enjoyed the game and had a good time. The Arena is a very nice hockey venue.

chiefaholic
02-11-2009, 07:57 AM
damn rights we did! -- yee haa! -- super fast game --- both teams had blazing speed on the night and Sexy was pretty solid.

Must say a big thanks to the Chiefs faithful at the arena for welcoming us and being generous and respectful as I hope we were as well. A couple of Giants fans who made the trek down from Nelson BC sat behind us and although they went a tad over-the-top sometimes they were pretty damn funny the whole time as well.

Glad you guys could make it. It was nice meeting you two. I wish the game had been more of a challenge for you guys to watch , but I think you got the result you were looking for ay? lol. Hope to see you guys again soon. Enjoy your teams run , man are they looking good. Their going to be the team to beat in the playoffs for sure.

HomerSimpson
02-11-2009, 10:07 AM
The radio did not do the game justice ... Vancouver coulda' scored 8 goals IMO ... their first goal was b/c the defender did not push the forward out of the crease ... just let him stand their ... It reminded me of watching the Spoke / Lethbridge series from last year ... It has to be a wakeup call ... we aer going to have to play tougher and grind out our goals against high powered teams like Vancouver ... as far as the loss on Sunday for us ... I'm sure boys were pretty tired after three in 3 days.

We can't use the three in three excuse on this one. Kelowna played the same type of week as us; so it's hard to put that one out there. I think that was a major turning point in our season last year - when we went 3-0 in a three in three (say that three times fast) with the last victory being the 2-0 shutout in Vancouver.

At least for me, that was when I knew we had a team that could go all the way. This year - with weekends like this; I just don't think we have it. Whether it's missing Peters, Bruton, or any of the other key elements we lost; who knows?

I think we found out exactly where we match up against the rest of the West.

Pete76
02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I agree ... not the same team as last year ... w/o Falk, the three 20's, and a rookie coach ... last years team will be one we remember for a long long time:) I think this team can grind out a playoff run ... the next game against Vancouver will say a lot about their resilience.

Last year Feb 9th, 2008 ... we got pounded by Tri in Spokane 7-2 ... then lost twice in a row to Seattle, then lost to Everett ... honestly, I thought we were done (as far as a cup run) ...

Calla has been great b/c I think he fills in Bruton's role when paired with Bowman ... but I would still like to see more concrete lines instead of the merry go round - but I don't think his leadership role has been replaced.

As far as filling in for Rudy and Judder ???

Madcow
02-11-2009, 03:33 PM
At least for me, that was when I knew we had a team that could go all the way. This year - with weekends like this; I just don't think we have it. Whether it's missing Peters, Bruton, or any of the other key elements we lost; who knows?

I think we found out exactly where we match up against the rest of the West.

don't you mean weekend as in singular? geeze talk about throwing it in after 1 lackluster weekend... I think during christmas if someone told you we would have 2 losses since the break you would have said sounds like we are doin great!

If that shot form roman ended up 1 more cm to the left that game goes into overtime and we have a chance at a 2-1 weekend instead of 1-2... last weekend we played good teams but it didn't tell us near about where we stand against others in the west.. especially in a 7 game series

HomerSimpson
02-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I agree ... not the same team as last year ... w/o Falk, the three 20's, and a rookie coach ... last years team will be one we remember for a long long time:) I think this team can grind out a playoff run ... the next game against Vancouver will say a lot about their resilience.

Last year Feb 9th, 2008 ... we got pounded by Tri in Spokane 7-2 ... then lost twice in a row to Seattle, then lost to Everett ... honestly, I thought we were done (as far as a cup run) ...

Calla has been great b/c I think he fills in Bruton's role when paired with Bowman ... but I would still like to see more concrete lines instead of the merry go round - but I don't think his leadership role has been replaced.

As far as filling in for Rudy and Judder ???

I agree with everything you said here. I remember the Monday Night Seattle game at home...that was an ugly one lol.

Honestly, I think Steve Kuhn has stepped in and done nicely filling the void left by Rutherford. Obviously he's not scoring at the same pace, but as far as a speedy forward who digs in the corners, I think he has done well. The agitating is something that Rutherford was one of a kind at, though. I don't know that we will ever get a guy that can draw as many penalties.

As far as Blackwater; I think Donaghy has filled the power forward void nicely. And, since Roman's return he has started to show some of the scoring ability we all know he has when he gets the chance to play with a playmaking center.

Neither of them completely fill the voids left - but at least they are close.

HomerSimpson
02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
don't you mean weekend as in singular? geeze talk about throwing it in after 1 lackluster weekend... I think during christmas if someone told you we would have 2 losses since the break you would have said sounds like we are doin great!

If that shot form roman ended up 1 more cm to the left that game goes into overtime and we have a chance at a 2-1 weekend instead of 1-2... last weekend we played good teams but it didn't tell us near about where we stand against others in the west.. especially in a 7 game series

I'm not giving up just yet - but you have to agree with me that things aren't looking well. Against Kelowna and Vancouver, we are 0-3 being outscored 9-1.

We might be able to beat them in a 7-game series - maybe - but without some of the clutch scoring and the loss of Jared Cowen, things are going to be much, much harder this year than they were last year.

Madcow
02-12-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm not giving up just yet - but you have to agree with me that things aren't looking well. Against Kelowna and Vancouver, we are 0-3 being outscored 9-1.

We might be able to beat them in a 7-game series - maybe - but without some of the clutch scoring and the loss of Jared Cowen, things are going to be much, much harder this year than they were last year.

They played well last night and don't count the loss to kelowna when everyone was gone to wjc! that doesn't tell us where we are... we should go 4-0 in these games this weekend and started well last night