PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Kings Rookies

Brandonite
02-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Just cerious to know what everyones thoughts are on the rookies this season. I think rookie of the year SO FAR is Mark Stone. Lewandiuk has come on really well lately especially after coming back from his recent injury. Jesse Hall has really been invincible and cant give you an honest opinion on him. Darren Bestland has been great and some night been our best d-man. What a steal from the Selkirk Stealers adding him to the protected list. He will be a big key to the defence as a 19 year old next season. James Priestner has been very inconsistent as has veteran Andrew Hayes. Priestner had a good game tonight vs Edmonton (6-1 win) and Im almost willing to guarentee he has an off night on his next start. Its just the way it has seemed to go for him all year. I think the biggest problem with Priestner is that in reality he is just a back-up goaltender and not a legite starter and likely never will be atleast anytime soon. Robidoux (or whatever) has been steady however I would have much prefered to have Ryley Miller stay and send Robidoux down but again thats just my opinion. Anyone else?

WHEATMAN
02-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Just cerious to know what everyones thoughts are on the rookies this season. I think rookie of the year SO FAR is Mark Stone. Lewandiuk has come on really well lately especially after coming back from his recent injury. Jesse Hall has really been invincible and cant give you an honest opinion on him. Darren Bestland has been great and some night been our best d-man. What a steal from the Selkirk Stealers adding him to the protected list. He will be a big key to the defence as a 19 year old next season. James Priestner has been very inconsistent as has veteran Andrew Hayes. Priestner had a good game tonight vs Edmonton (6-1 win) and Im almost willing to guarentee he has an off night on his next start. Its just the way it has seemed to go for him all year. I think the biggest problem with Priestner is that in reality he is just a back-up goaltender and not a legite starter and likely never will be atleast anytime soon. Robidoux (or whatever) has been steady however I would have much prefered to have Ryley Miller stay and send Robidoux down but again thats just my opinion. Anyone else?

I would agree with pretty much everything you said. I wish we would have kept Depape over Hall.

sbtatter
02-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Considering he's only 16, Stone has been by far our best rookie. Lewy and Bestland have been good at times, but they're older so should be better than Stone. Not sure that Lewy will be back. With Aulie and Calvert gone, our overagers will be Fehr, Green and likely Cowan, maybe Jeffries...
Hall has improved lately, but he's no Stone!! Ciarelli's been decent also.
Next year We will likely have Depape, Synatinski, Walker, Rouse and Wilson as candidates for top rookies, maybe Wheaton will make the team as well?
Top forwards will be
Stone Schenn Glennie
Fehr Green Cowan
Depape Walker Ciarelli
S King Hale W King
Synatinski Rouse Wilson

Defence will be solid
Robak Melnychuk
Bestland Miller
Schneider Robidoux
Erdhardt

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
02-08-2009, 12:25 AM
It's not guaranteed that Calvert is gone for sure. Stranger things have happened in hockey.

But in saying that and preparing like he isn't going to be here, that certainly doesn't look like anything that can compete for the cup. :dead:

WHEATMAN
02-08-2009, 12:32 AM
It's not guaranteed that Calvert is gone for sure. Stranger things have happened in hockey.

But in saying that and preparing like he isn't going to be here, that certainly doesn't look like anything that can compete for the cup. :dead:

I would say its a good looking team, only a trade or two away from being elite. Next years team looks alot better than the 04/05 team and look how good that team did. Also I imagine us hosting the Memorial Cup will give us significant leverage in getting some good euros to come over, so hopefully we can add another couple players to the mix.

Brandonite
02-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Im not really interested in next years rookies right now , im more interested in knowing what peoples thoughts are on THIS YEARS rookies. I forgot about Ciarelli but yeah he has been decent as well. He's a tough little bugger, but will mostly always just be a grinder type player which is fine. I agree with the fact that Stone is rookie of the year based on his age compared to Lewy & Bestland. Everyone talks so much about Jordan Depape so obviously he will be here next season but for now he isnt!! Fans seem to love this kid more than anyone on the current roster and he hasnt even played 1 game in the WHL which i find very interesting. Quick note off topic, Sanfred King...days as a Brandon Wheat King = Over

dagley
02-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Pretty sure Cowan/Jefferies/Green are gone next year, Kelly will definitely try and get good top 20 year old next season for the cup.

Brandonite
02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Pretty sure Cowan/Jefferies/Green are gone next year, Kelly will definitely try and get good top 20 year old next season for the cup.

Yeah I seen that earlier as well and I agree with you dagley. Cowan & Jefferies I wouldnt even keep as 19 year olds, nevermind 20 year olds especially for a memorial cup team. Green is a decent player and would likely be a top 5 scorer on almost any team in the WHL but I cant see him being here next season. Cowan and Jefferies absolutely not!

dagley
02-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Pretty big game for Stoner last night.

sbtatter
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah I seen that earlier as well and I agree with you dagley. Cowan & Jefferies I wouldnt even keep as 19 year olds, nevermind 20 year olds especially for a memorial cup team. Green is a decent player and would likely be a top 5 scorer on almost any team in the WHL but I cant see him being here next season. Cowan and Jefferies absolutely not!
I think a lot depends on what they bring to the team personality wise, leadership wise, and unless any of us are in the dressing room and on the bus, we can't answer that. But lets say that Cowan is an awesome team guy, combine that with his gritty play, they may decide to keep him.
And i'm sure we will get a Euro next year.
That team lineup i posted, that's not a bad starting point to make some trades with and build a team, the top 2 lines could be very good, like this year...
as far as rookie of the year this year, it's a foregone conclusion for Stone.
MVP, fans player of the year and most improved player, that's closer.
MVP could be Clark or Aulie?
Fans fave, Calvert, Clark or Aulie?
Most improved, Melnychuk, Hayes, Aulie, Fehr?