PDA

View Full Version : BU coach rip major junior hockey

Scout
02-13-2009, 06:21 AM
with Gregg Drinnan

Thursday, February 12, 2009

There was an extremely interesting development involving major junior hockey on Thursday.
In case you missed it, this release, which originated with College Hockey News, was posted on the BCHL’s website:
WAKEFIELD, Mass. — Hockey East and New England Sports Network (NESN) have reached an agreement with Rogers Sportsnet in Canada to air conference games for the rest of the season, including the Hockey East tournament.
"This is a terrific development for our league and we appreciate NESN’s efforts to make this happen," said Hockey East commissioner Joe Bertagna. "Perhaps a young Canadian hockey player will watch these games and proudly don a Hockey East jersey somewhere down the line."
Boston University coach Jack Parker said the move comes at an opportune time for the sport.
"We’re in a battle with Major Junior A for seven or eight years. Frankly, we’ve been losing that battle because the NCAA kind of ties our hands as to when we can talk to kids and how we can market our product," Parker said. "(Major Junior) has gone out of their way to attack college hockey and destroy our pipelines. They have done it in a legislative way and a marketing way. They don’t want kids playing Tier 2 Hockey unless they don’t want them.
"We have a much better product on the ice and in the classroom. And yet we’re not winning that battle sometimes because kids don’t know about us at 16. When they see us on TV across Canada they think ‘Boy, that looks like something I might want to save myself for. Why would I want to play one game in Major Junior A and then get sent down when I could keep my eligibility and play (in college)’."
Sportsnet’s coverage will kickoff on Feb. 20 with Boston College at UNH live on Sportsnet East and Sportsnet Ontario. The following week, Massachusetts hosts Boston University on Feb. 27 that will also air live on Sportsnet East and Sportsnet Ontario.
"Sportsnet is pleased to take the plunge to broadcast NCAA Hockey. We remain optimistic that the level and quality of hockey shall resonate with our audience," said Dave Akande, VP of Content at Rogers Sportsnet.
--------
What makes this all so interesting, other than BU head coach Jack Parker’s obvious attempt to start a war of words with someone, is that Rogers Sportsnet and the Canadian Hockey League are business partners. Sportsnet carries major junior regular-season and playoff games, and also holds the TV rights to the MasterCard Memorial Cup, from start to finish. (By the way, perhaps someone will explain to Mr. Parker that there is major junior and there is junior A, but there isn’t any such monster as major junior A.)
All of which makes me think that when CHL boss David Branch got wind of Parker’s comments, he will have been on the phone to Sportsnet headquarters.
The agreement with Hockey East, at least in the early days, doesn’t appear to call for any games on Sportsnet Pacific. Which is too bad, because there are a whole lot of players out there from B.C.
Interesting, too, is that a similar release at hockeyeastonline.com doesn’t include any of Parker’s remarks. It also points out that some of the games will be televised on a delayed basis, and it actually mentions Sportsnet Pacific:
“The 25th annual Hockey East Tournament first semifinal at 5 p.m. will be broadcast live by Sports West and Sportsnet Pacific and the second semifinal at 8 p.m. will be aired live on Sportsnet East, Ontario and Pacific. The 25th Hockey East Championship Game will also be aired tape delayed throughout Canada on Sunday morning.”

Scout

Derek Sutton
02-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I have always wanted just one of the CHL teams to play an NCAA team and watch the **** show. Not only is the on ice prodcut no where close, they continue to fool themselves about their supperior education. My cousin went to RPI and he said it was a joke; as bad for hockey players there as for football players at Ohio State. Come to think of it, didn't one of the CIS teams win a tourney with NCAA teams earlier this year? and wasn't one of those teams BU?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I have always wanted just one of the CHL teams to play an NCAA team and watch the **** show. Not only is the on ice prodcut no where close, they continue to fool themselves about their supperior education. My cousin went to RPI and he said it was a joke; as bad for hockey players there as for football players at Ohio State. Come to think of it, didn't one of the CIS teams win a tourney with NCAA teams earlier this year? and wasn't one of those teams BU?

It would indeed be interesting to see a team from the CHL and NCAA leagues square off. Don't be too sure the CHL would win. Remember the NCAA team would have players that are say 22 or even 24 years old etc while the CHL team would have guys as young as 16. I spoke to Mike Babcock (yes that Mike Babcock) about this a few years back. He had coached a couple of CHL teams and coached the University of Lethbridge to a CIAU National Men's Hockey Championship. As Babcock has coached in both leagues he would be an expert and then some on this topic and he was certain his U of L Pronghorns team would, and I quote, "embarass the CIS team". As I stated his reasons were size/age difference. It would be men against boys.
Remember he is comparing Canadian University hockey to the CHL and the NCAA teams are probably even better than the Canadian University teams.

dagley
02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Pretty sure Moose Jaw would rip some NCAA teams.

Derek Sutton
02-13-2009, 01:50 PM
. I spoke to Mike Babcock (yes that Mike Babcock) about this a few years back. He had coached a couple of CHL teams and coached the University of Lethbridge to a CIAU National Men's Hockey Championship. As Babcock has coached in both leagues he would be an expert and then some on this topic and he was certain his U of L Pronghorns team would, and I quote, "embarass the CIS team".
Embarrass good or bad?
I realize the age gap and I also know this will NEVER happen. NCAA just thinks that they offer education while the CHL is for drop outs. Nothing could be further from the truth and it just ****** me off, and their stance on eligibility of CHL players is total BS. As for the hockey, I'm sure it would be fairly even between any of the CHL vs CIS vs NCAA.

Pete76
02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
It would indeed be interesting to see a team from the CHL and NCAA leagues square off. Don't be too sure the CHL would win. Remember the NCAA team would have players that are say 22 or even 24 years old etc while the CHL team would have guys as young as 16. I spoke to Mike Babcock (yes that Mike Babcock) about this a few years back. He had coached a couple of CHL teams and coached the University of Lethbridge to a CIAU National Men's Hockey Championship. As Babcock has coached in both leagues he would be an expert and then some on this topic and he was certain his U of L Pronghorns team would, and I quote, "embarass the CIS team". As I stated his reasons were size/age difference. It would be men against boys.
Remember he is comparing Canadian University hockey to the CHL and the NCAA teams are probably even better than the Canadian University teams.

I'm confused ... the U of L is a CIS team ... you meant "embarass the CHL team, right?"

I'd bet the CIS teams (full of ex WHL talent) would consistently dominate NCAA hockey teams ... the top CIS teams seem to be mini whl all-star teams IMO ... I watched a game this past weekend at our local college (it's division 2) Easter Washington University ... playing a bunch of old guys (spokane grinders) ... EWU suffered their second loss of the season ... oh yeah, the grinders have a guy named Cam Severson and Dmitri Leonov;)

WHEATMAN
02-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Embarrass good or bad?
I realize the age gap and I also know this will NEVER happen. NCAA just thinks that they offer education while the CHL is for drop outs. Nothing could be further from the truth and it just ****** me off, and their stance on eligibility of CHL players is total BS. As for the hockey, I'm sure it would be fairly even between any of the CHL vs CIS vs NCAA.

Nah, I don't think so, In reality any CIS or NCAA team would dominate most teams from the CHL. Heck I remember a few years ago at the U-20 Canadian selection camp, the Juniors played an exhibition against the Manitoba Bison or Alberta Golden Bears and lost 5-2. Like someone said, in the NCAA or CIS, they are men who are up to 25 and have spent their time in the USHL, Junior A or the CHL. The CHL is best for development, no doubt about that, but I would bet anything on a CIS or NCAA team dominating a CHL team anyday.

Derek Sutton
02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
This is an interesting debate topic, I'm mostly just stubborn and like I said a little ticked towards the NCAA, so based on that I stand by what I said earlier (lame i know). And yah, if CIS is better then WHL and even with NCAA it would stand to reason that NCAA may overmatch CHL, but top team vs top team, thats gotta go to the CHL. I gotta think the Hitmen could beat many ECHL teams let alone an NCAA team.

WHEATMAN
02-13-2009, 02:25 PM
This is an interesting debate topic, I'm mostly just stubborn and like I said a little ticked towards the NCAA, so based on that I stand by what I said earlier (lame i know). And yah, if CIS is better then WHL and even with NCAA it would stand to reason that NCAA may overmatch CHL, but top team vs top team, thats gotta go to the CHL. I gotta think the Hitmen could beat many ECHL teams let alone an NCAA team.

Who knows, maybe an NCAA team but there is no way Calgary would ever beat an ECHL team, I doubt Vancouver could either...