PDA

View Full Version : Blades 4 @ Broncos 3

Big Ern
02-14-2009, 11:24 PM
The damage was done early with two goals in the first 1:07 of the game, and in the end the Saskatoon Blades managed a 4-3 victory over the hometown Broncos Saturday night to finish and tie their season series with Swift Current at 4-4.

-the game featured two hard-working teams. Unfortunately for the Broncos, and although their work ethic was great for the remainder of the game, they were caught off guard and had a bad start. And their chemistry was not good enough for the measure of the night. On the other side, the Blades looked very stellar.

-Saskatoon came out and jumped on a scrambly Swift Current team with goals from Walker Wintoneak at 0:54, and Darian Dzuirzynsky at 1:07.

-the Broncos would hit a post and even get one puck past G Braden Holtby later in the period, but that one landed about six inches from the goal line and failed to cross. In Holtby's case, you have to be lucky to be good and vice versa. He gave his team every chance to win this hockey game by robbing the home team on several occasions.

-at the other end, Travis Yonkman made some enormous saves to help the Broncos' penalty kill go 6 for 6 on the night. He ended up stopping a total of 34 shots, as the Blades did a fantastic job of getting pucks to the net. Yonks allowed the killer goal from Mylan Kytnar through the wickets at 11:42 for a 4-2 score. That one was maybe a tad questionable but it's best to leave it at that. The probem was not goaltending tonight by any stretch.

-the red light finally came on behind Holtby as the Broncos' Geordie Wudrick scored on the 5 on 3 advantage. The extra penalty was assessed to Saskatoon's Jyri Niemi in the form of a double minor after he jumped Matt Tassone and with no warning started beating on him behind the Blades' goal.

-Matt Tassone responded by attempting to answer the bell, only to have his problematic shoulder give out on him again. The whole shoulder saga is a re-occuring movie, and Matt has worked and played through it all season. At some point, although he's handled it extremely well, you have to think the whole shoulder thing has to be getting frustrating and maybe bad enough to prompt the inevitable...... We'll see where Matt goes from here. He is a HUGE part of this hockey club.

-the Broncos really brought the pressure in the third period and looked to be in a game big time when Derek Claffey scored at 6:47 with a howitzer from the point. But again, the Blades' quick tally at 11:32 dashed a lot of hope for a Bronco comeback.

-Swift Current got SOME of the last laugh, when Jordan Peddle scored with 1.26 seconds to go in a 6 on 5 situation with the goalie pulled. It was a big effort by the guys to keep the the heat turned up in the offensive zone and bring the winning margin down to one goal.

-the Blades were obviously very owly, coming off last night's 7-1 setback at the hands of the Medicine Hat Tigers. They had something to prove and were no doubt challenged by their coaches before tonight's game. The Broncos had a quick turnaround, coming off a 9-1 victory over the PA Raiders last night, and arrived home at around 3 AM. Unfortunately all of this did not add up to success for the home team.

The Broncos have a little bit of practicing to do...work on the powerplay and such, but are playing what is perhaps their best hockey of the season these days. The work ethic is very good out there for the most part....it led to a four game winning streak and lots of points in the last little while.

We'll see what the Broncos can do versus Brandon this coming Tuesday. The Wheat Kings have brought out the worst in the Broncos this season and sport a 5-0 record in the season series. Let's hope with the same determination and work ethic that we've seen of late, the guys can turn the Brandon trend around.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

EXTRAS:

-I was sitting in Section G Row 10 tonight and could barely stand the verbal negativity spewed down by one guy who sits in Row 11. I doubt there is cause for continuous negativity....it was a great effort by two very good teams and one team ended up playing a slow two minutes....bottom line. You can't win 'em all. The Broncos have done their share of winning lately.

-the fans were rather boisterous. I thought we experienced an exceptional atmosphere at the rink tonight with an attendance of 2462.

-the Broncos will be hosting their annual SKILLS CHALLENGE tomorrow at 3:30 PM immediately following the Legionnaires/Beardy game. Admission is $5 and it's sure to be fun. The team has asked me to man the rink speakers for the event, and yes....I am some pumped to do that!

-if you're heading there anyway, come 2 1/2 hours earlier and catch game two of the Legionnaires' two-game home series with the Beardys Blackhawks. Beardys looked like the more offensively skilled team earlier today and beat the Legion 5-2. Injuries played a part in this one...two important cogs in Dillon Currie and Anthony St. Onge were missing from the home team's line-up. We'll see tomorrow if the guys can get the weekend split.

I'm out ...have a good one San Diego. :)

ointhecreek
02-15-2009, 12:12 AM
The defence was terrible again tonight. Running around chasing guys and not clearing the front of the net AGAIN. Pinching when they shouldn't and leaving nobody on the back end to protect our end, Giving the puck away. Nobody was hitting at all, played powder puff hockey. The young forwards stood out as usual, Peddle, Dowling, and Vause had another great game working his butt off in the corners. It could have been a good game if our D came to play as hard as the rookies. :dead:

smackitsakic
02-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Pretty good game to watch in my opinion. Kudos to the Broncos for battling after falling behind early - thought they once agained looked good against a team that is quite a bit ahead in the standings.

I disagree'd with Yonkman being a third star. He did make some huge saves, but so did the goalie at the other end.

4 goals against on 38 shots, one of which was a real soft one. I thought Vause was more fitting - played a good game out there and I've grown to expect solid performances out of him since i've been back in town. Tons of moves, just seems to struggle putting points on the board.

Flathead
02-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Pretty good game to watch in my opinion. Kudos to the Broncos for battling after falling behind early - thought they once agained looked good against a team that is quite a bit ahead in the standings.

I disagree'd with Yonkman being a third star. He did make some huge saves, but so did the goalie at the other end.

4 goals against on 38 shots, one of which was a real soft one. I thought Vause was more fitting - played a good game out there and I've grown to expect solid performances out of him since i've been back in town. Tons of moves, just seems to struggle putting points on the board.
Vause has been very fun to watch this year, I think if he can put on some weight for next year and try to be right around 175, he'll be able to muscle his way through for some more points, the 158 they list him at this year is just a little to light.

Tidball
02-15-2009, 02:33 PM
How did this scrap go? Niemi(our euro) rarely fights, infact this was his 1st fight of his career. Really odd that he just jumped Tassone. Something was said perhaps? Maybe an extra slash at Holtby, im just guessing i wasnt there and do not know. But Niemi jumping someone just sounds wierd. Maybe a retaliation for Molle jumping Funk?