PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Kings 4 @ Broncos 2

Big Ern
02-17-2009, 11:43 PM
For the second straight game, the Swift Current Broncos came up with a flat first period....this time versus the offensively potent Brandon Wheat Kings. And the 3-0 Brandon lead after one frame ended up hurting the Broncos...just as bad as Saskatoon's 3-0 lead after one period hurt them three days ago. The Broncos turned things around in the second and third but again, it was too little too late. The Wheaties got away with a 4-2 victory.

Brayden Schenn, Matt Calvert, and Jordan Hale lit the lamp for the visitors in the first period. The Broncos struggled to gain any sort of control or puck possession, and were outplayed in almost every area. And the five minor penalties they took did not make things any easier...Brandon would score two of their first period markers on the man advantage. As a result, the home crowd factor was taken completely out of the equation early on, and the home team looked down and out after 20. Captain Derek Claffey made an effort to change that when he fought Brandon's Matt Lowry late in the frame.

Things would change somewhat in the second period, as the Broncos' defense slowed down the Brandon attack. The play evened out and both sides got an equal number of opportunities. Swift Current capitalized at 12:35, as Michael Stickland shot home a puck that bounced out in front off the boards. The Broncos would go on to assert more pressure on Brandon....and even drew a penalty late as Matt Lowry got whistled down for roughing, but could not cut the Wheaties' lead to one on the powerplay. The score was still 3-1 in favour of Brandon after two.

The third frame was all Swift Current. The guys came out with vigor and a purpose. Brandon was pressured into protecting their zone, and fired only two shots on goal. Dillon Wagner, who was a physical presence all game tonight, wowed fans with his effort and tenacity down low. The Broncos capitalized early on as Geordie Wudrick continued his late streak of scoring big goals when he fired home a wrist shot from the slot off a pretty pass from Jan Dalecky. Joel Rogers grabbed the crowd's attention with a devastating check on Brandon's Aaron Lewadniuk for the uncontested hit of the game. The turning point came with around three minutes to go, as the Broncos were handed a 5 on 3 man advantage in a 3-2 game. It was a must-score situation and poor execution on the powerplay proved to be devastating. They failed to capitalize. The Wheat Kings answered quickly thereafter as Matt Calvert went racing up-ice and scored the killer on Travis Yonkman at 17:50 to deal the final blow.

Game over.

This was the sixth meeting of the season between these two clubs...and the sixth win in the season series for the Brandon Wheat Kings. Brandon's big plays always seem to be more timely, and the Broncos end up falling short. Brandon's star players were on tonight, while the Broncos' top line had it's share of difficulties. And they were missing Matt Tassone....but saying that is an excuse. Although very much in every game versus Brandon, they have found ways to lose to them six times this season....if not by a lacklustre third period, then by a lacklustre first. It almost seems like one of those inexplicable records in the game of hockey.

The team now waits two days before hosting the Kootenay Ice on Friday night, and then getting a seventh chance at the Brandon Wheat Kings on Saturday...this time in Brandon's Westman Place. Meanwhile, the aforementioned Kootenay Ice are coming in very much in the Western Conference playoff picture, sporting a team that's been known for it's work ethic and the knack of being "in the mix" year after year. They also have a Christian Magnus and a James Martin the Broncos used to call their own.

I guess the bottom line for the Broncos is to regroup and have the quick starts their home atmosphere is capable of providing, instead of sitting back and letting the other team take over to start the game. Also, their has to be some focus that will go towards the powerplay....something that we all know hasn't gone very smoothly of late.

We'll see what happens. LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

EXTRAS:

-a little bird told me Matt Tassone is fighting through this shoulder injury like all the others and will be back in the line-up sooner rather than later.....

-Taylor Vause was out tonight battling the flu. The Broncos were no doubt missing Taylor up front...he has provided an offensive spark for most of the season.

-2544 in attendance was awesome for a Tuesday night. There looked to be a lot of empty seats to start, but things quickly filled up.

-LOTS of scouts were here to see this one.

-the blue larger size text I'm using today is for a change of scenery...if you will.

Ciao.

Viper40
02-18-2009, 12:08 AM
"Poor execution on the powerplay" Ern?????? When you get an opportunity to go 5 on 3 late in the game, for over a minute, and don't even conger up a "REAL" good scoring opportunity......something is seriously wrong beyond "poor execution" .......come on guys! keep pushing through it and get back on track.
P.S. Nice recap Ern

dagley
02-18-2009, 12:26 AM
A big win for us, it's just a shame we can't catch any ground on those pesky Blades. We both keep winning, looking forward to seeing Swifty in town on Saturday night. We have a big stretch of 3 games in 4/5 nights against Saskatoon next week.

Flathead
02-18-2009, 07:57 AM
The play of Brown, Peddle, Wagner and Rogers was amazing last night. Too bad the whole team couldn't play with the same amount of energy, heart, desire.....etc. Way to guys good game guys. As for Captain Claffey, that's a game he has to wipe out of the memory bank, bad penalties, got beat bad in a fight that was supposed to bring life to the team, coughing up the puck, bad passes and Calvert blew by him for the ultimate nail in the coffin. Mabye trying to hard to do to much?? A full 60 minutes is needed to win in this league, we are back to playing games with horrible starts, like we were the last few years.

dubfan
02-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Flathead I agree with your comments except Rogers is trying to hit everything and getting totally out of position, pinching at the wrong time and getting beat down low, I am a huge Joel Rogers fan but think he should rely on his skating and stick to get pucks instead of trying to hit everything, he is working his butt off though maybe just work more effeciently. Captain Derek is trying to do too much, keep it limited and play within your abilities. The defense on a whole are over handling the puck, too much carrying and not enough passing, Brandon's defense is a great example of MOVING the puck, great break outs. Too many turn overs coming out of our end and our shoot ins seem to be a second thought and too late at or near the opponents blue line when the forwards have no momentum because they have to slow down or stop. Maybe try something different on the powerplay its very stale and again the entries are either not placed well or the players are not going to the right spots, in the Saskatoon game Holtby handled the puck more that their defence. These are all correctible things and the team is very close to beating Brandon, need to make some breaks, get a lead and play a team game.

trucker
02-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I left the Brandon game very, very choked! Another 10 min. effort in a 60 min. game. Kudos too Wagners line but thats it. No heart no effort no win! Why do I have to watch the team I'm proud of blow these games in the first 20 and then come out in the final period when it's to late? Why didn't we score on that 5 on 3? That was a gift to tie a game we didn't deserve to be in. Whats happening in the dressing room before these games. We need to beat teams like this to prove to us paying fans that we are proud for a reason! I like the trades Dean made I think we can do some damage in the playoffs but again, we need to play with heart and we need to play from start to finish. Come on guys you can do it, lets see you try! vc178

transplantedbronco
02-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Have to agree on most of the comments so far. Brown, Peddle and Wagner showed up the veterans on this team. If all the forwards could play like that the out come would have been different. Their are a select few top forwards who are not willing to pay the price to win. They wont hit, forecheck or go any place that they might get hit. That is frusturating to no end. My other question how in the hell is Brown Peddle and Wagner healthy scratches from time to time?

And why was Hoban even dressed last night? This is not a knock against him as I like the kid but he is dressed and did not touch the ice once. That makes no sense to me at all. Talk about a blow to your confidence. This sounds alot like.......wait for it........your may or may not get the meaning........wait for it........Karl Benke!!!!
ps. my signature explains why i did this.

stick boy
02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Personally it is getting a little tough to cheer for this team the way they just give games away like that.. Huge crowd and the team doesn't even give the crowd a chance to get into it.

I thought we made those trades to get older and more experienced to compete with teams like Calgary, Saskatoon, and Brandon and yet it doesn;t seem to have happened. We still make the same mistakes and don't show up for the start of games until it is too late.

On the bright side I think Wagner, Peddle, and Brown were terrific last night and Yonkman made a couple of incredible saves that the crowd barely noticed because they were so out of it after the first 10 minutes.

As for Hoban I think he was coming off the flu so maybe he was just the healthiest of the guys but not really ready to play many minutes. Not sure though

Offsider
02-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Brown, Peddle and Wagner showed up ALL the veterans on this team . really missing Matt .Vets need to start showing up.and Claffey fights like a girl .Maybe time to sit some of these guys that show up for 10 mins a game before playoffs . If The Wheat kings have a weak link its in goal but if we just pass the puck around the outside ??Shoot the fricken puck at the NET !!! BOYS

Flathead
02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Have to agree on most of the comments so far. Brown, Peddle and Wagner showed up the veterans on this team. If all the forwards could play like that the out come would have been different. Their are a select few top forwards who are not willing to pay the price to win. They wont hit, forecheck or go any place that they might get hit. That is frusturating to no end. My other question how in the hell is Brown Peddle and Wagner healthy scratches from time to time?

And why was Hoban even dressed last night? This is not a knock against him as I like the kid but he is dressed and did not touch the ice once. That makes no sense to me at all. Talk about a blow to your confidence. This sounds alot like.......wait for it........your may or may not get the meaning........wait for it........Karl Benke!!!!
ps. my signature explains why i did this.
Hoban had 1 shift. And I think like Vause he's been under the weather. Hopefully the flu bug doesn't go through the team.

Ree_21
02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Its amazing to read these posts from positive feedback to some disappointing ones, It kind of reminds me of Statler and Waldorf. At first you guys post positive news and feedback and than eventually its garbage.

Statler and Waldorf (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE)

Flathead
02-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Its amazing to read these posts from positive feedback to some disappointing ones, It kind of reminds me of Statler and Waldorf. At first you guys post positive news and feedback and than eventually its garbage.

Statler and Waldorf (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE)
When you have a team that has as much talent as we do but plays as inconsistenly as we do, that's what you tend to get. We have yet to see the full potential of this team. Win or lose all anyone wants is an honest 110% effort from everyone for a full 60 minutes.

trucker
02-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Good to hear the coaching staff addressed the lack of 60 min. play today! I know with the players we have we are a better team than our record shows, and with playoffs so close I hope the boys buy into the idea that we are tough to beat, bring us home ice advantage boys! vci22

stick boy
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes Ree 21 this would be such a great forum if we all just came on here and talked about how amazingly awesome the team is win or lose, whether they show up for the game or don't.

Personally I think this team is capable of so much more, I think we have the talent to be right there with Saskatoon and Brandon (and apparently our coach /GM does too, based on the trades for Stickland and Negrin) near the top of the conference and for some reason it just isn't happening. i sure hope we figure it out soon.

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Heard the team had a players only meeting this morning. Hopefully they figured out how to get their shiiit together and start playing 60 minutes.

Ree_21
02-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Heard the team had a players only meeting this morning. Hopefully they figured out how to get their shiiit together and start playing 60 minutes.

could be a much needed meeting... hopefully some good came out of it. Maybe the reality that they are better than they think kicked in. Time to motivate the team and state the correct teams path in terms of quality play.

Good job boys for taking hopefully an initiative. clrkth

trucker
02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Let's get er done tonight horsemen, we will be cheering loud tonight