PDA

View Full Version : Ice 2 @ Broncos 4

Big Ern
02-20-2009, 11:39 PM
The Swift Current Broncos lit up the Kootenay Ice with three goals in the third period and beat them 4-2 for a 4-0 sweep of the season series between the clubs.

-although not perfect the game's start was better than it has been the past two games for the Broncos. They DID manage to score the first goal on the powerplay as Keegan Dansereau scored his 34th of the year at 7:11 of the first period.

-the Broncos would allow Kootenay to get back in the game at 11:47 when Tylan Stephens scored a rather weak one on Morgan Clark. The Ice followed up by striking again just 3:56 later as Max Reinhart scored his 10th of the year. The goal was scored on a rebound, as the Ice kept the heat turned up in the Broncos' zone and came away with a 2-1 lead after 20.

-it was chippy game for the most part. Both teams did quite the job of battling along the boards and the puck moved just short distances at a time.

-Kootenay was very physical from the get-go, and at times their physical play seemed to intimidate the home team.

-the second period was pretty even again...the Broncos brought more consistent work ethic and managed to outshoot the Ice 10-6 in that frame. They also killed off a phantom tripping penalty on Joel Rogers. There were a few chances, but nothing penetrated either goaltender and a lot of pucks were shot wide of both nets. The score remained 2-1 Kootenay after two.

-the Kootenay Ice had some glorious chances to go up by two goals early in the third period. The puck was mostly in the Broncos' zone for the first five minutes. Morgan Clark had to stand tall for a stretch as Kootenay brought the pressure. The Ice's failure to capitalize would bite them a bit later.....

-at 7:20 Mike Brown scored the big goal to tie the game. Brown played very well in this game...really. He was a force to reckon with.

-just 19 seconds later former Kootenay Ice Michael Stickland scored a dagger...his 22nd of the year to put the Broncos up a goal. The Ice called a time out but struggled to regain control. On a 2 on 1 chance Geordie Wudrick scored the 4-2 goal at 9:23 to give the dagger a twist.

-Geordie Wudrick has completely stepped up his game in the past couple months and is scoring the important goals game after game. He now has 28 on the season.

-although a tad tentative IMO, John Negrin looked pretty solid versus his former team. Eric Doyle also had a good night on defense with two assists and a +2.

-Dillon Wagner and Jordan Peddle each had a strong game.

-former Broncos James Martin and Christian Magnus who went to Cranbrook in the trade deadline deal, both played tonight. Martin got more ice time towards the end of the game and looked pretty confident out there. Magnus got ice time quite consistently and was tenacious on the forecheck.

-the Broncos kept Hazlet Saskatchewan's Andrew Bailey off the scoresheet. Bailey is wearing the "C" in Cranny this year and has 22 goals and 26 assists this season for 48 points.

-the Ice sort of fell apart for a stretch in the third period.....but otherwise worked very hard, and have been doing a lot of that this year. That's what has them quite comfortably in a spot to qualify for the post season.

-Ian Barteaux took exception of a hit by Michael Stickland and quickly retaliated by jumping Stickland. Barteaux got 2, 5 and a 10 for his actions which were uncalled for.

-did the Broncos play a complete 60? Not really...but a lot of effort was put in the last week to deal with that issue, from hard practices to "player only" meetings. It's something the team tried to deal with as a group and I'm sure that will pay off. They are really missing the spark and offense usually provided by Matt Tassone and Taylor Vause, (both out of the line-up due to sickness and/or injury) but found a way to come back and win this one in the third period.

In Brandon, the Wheat Kings watched and waited tonight; they face the Broncos tomorrow night in the Wheat City. Although they have come oh-so-close, Swift Current has not won a game in Brandon since 2006....an overtime win on a goal scored by Dane Crowley, later traded to the Everett Silvertips. Is it finally time for a win in Brandon? It will be a long trek to Brandon for the team tomorrow...it always is. We'll see if the guys can pull a point or two out of that barn...

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

EXTRAS:

-and there you have it. Dean Chynoweth won his fourth game versus Kootenay this season. Deano got the sweep of the season series 4-0 over his brother Jeff, who runs the Kootenay Ice.

-Matt Tassone WILL be back this year and should see game action in two weeks or so.

-Taylor Vause's status is up in the air for Brandon tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be good to go.

-I will NOT be making the trip to Brandon due to the Legionnaires' HUGE home weekend....they host the Saskatoon Blazers tomorrow night at 8 PM and again Sunday at 1 PM. Currently ahead by three points, the Blazers are the very team the Legion is trying to catch for that final playoff spot.....

-WHL WEB TV (Broncos/Wheaties) will be running in the lower corner of my laptop tomorrow night as I play the music for the Legionnaires. The game recap may contain limited info due to lack of focus, but there might be a tidbit or two posted, so do check!

Have a great weekend.

stick boy
02-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Well first of all that was a big win, hopefully the guys can rally around a rare comeback win after 40 minutes.

Have to disagree though Ern it looked like the same old incomplete and lacking effort only this time the opponent wasn't talented enough to bury us in the first period.

Sure hope the Broncos can play a full 60 in Brandon and finally solve the Wheaties.

Great to see Brown finally hit the scoresheet, he has been playing hard and finally got rewarded.

Kudos to Geordie Wudrick for scoring for the fifth straight game. He has finally brought that scoring ability that he showcased in bantam to the WHL.

On a side note Mark Guggenberger made 36 saves to help the Rockets dump the Vancouver Giants 6-2 tonight, what a beauty!

Flathead
02-21-2009, 09:44 AM
We got to see what our team is capable of last night, for one period. If we can play 60 minutes like the last 20, we will be alright.
The hardest working Bronco and probally most improved finally got a very well deserved first goal of the season, way to go Brown keep up the good work!
Any word on Stickland and Rogers? Both left the game and never returned. Stickland got jumped big time by Barteaux after he nailed him with a clean hit. And something happened to Rogers right near the end of the second but I missed it.
Best part of the game was when Big Ern was talking to a scout. Big Ern,"You with Habs? Habs Scout, " Awe yes I am". Big Ern, "What the hell is going on there today!?" It was too funny, the scout was totally caught off guard but did reply back," A bunch of no good, you should come down and fix it." Ok it probally wasn't the best part of the game, that would be the third period comeback, but it sure made me laugh. "What the hell is going on there today"

Let's get going on a roll tonight guys and eat some Wheaties!

Viper40
02-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I am gonna have to agree Stick Boy......USUALLY Ern does gather enough information from the game, the rink rats and radio to put together an informative recap covering most of the bases, but IMO....and just "my" opinion, Ern kind of missed the target on this game. There was a great Effort ,once again, by the usual suspects...Cody Eakin, Dillon Wagner, Jan Dalecky, Michal Stickland, Eric Doyle and Kudos to Brown!.....but where was everyone else? I couldnt believe the Bronco team I was watching when the puck dropped...We were making sharp, deliberate passes, cycling the puck down low, great breakouts from our own zone, tight defensive coverage keeping pucks to the outside and stick checking the hell out of them keeping the shots down and breaking up any good scoring opportunities....not to mention OUR physical play! (We hit anything that moved....and hard!)....(not sure where or when Kootney intimidated us last night) but after the first 10 minutes of period one, we fell right back in to the sloppy passing, weak zone coverage, zero accountability, lack of confidence team we have been struggling with. We have some talent out there, and for the life of me can not figure out where that lack of confidence is coming from...well, I Dean, I mean Do have one idea.......Anyways, as soon as the Broncos scored the tying goal in the third, someone must have bumped the confidence switch, cause the boys just took over! It was amazing to watch the little mistakes disappear when the players actually believe they can win. Far from perfect (we NEED 60 minutes) but would be interested to see what the boys would accomplish in Brandon tonight if they went in KNOWING they could win, not hoping for it!

#1fan
02-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Couldn't agree more V, the key is to believe you can win, not hope for it. This should, could and will be a great team if they would just start to believe in the team.

Link Dog
02-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I think I'll give the Ice a little credit here. It was just like Negrin said in his interviews leading up to this game, that the Broncos would be facing a team that even though they're not the most talented, would work extremely hard. Kootenay was limiting Bronco time and space all over the ice in that game. At this level of hockey even the highly skilled guys are going to look bad when as soon as they touch the puck, they have a body in their face. This plan is obviously frustrating to play against and to watch if it's against your team, but it works. The Ice are 3-4-0-1 with Calgary and they have more skill than SC. When a team is up against that kind of defensive structure, it's up to the coach to change the game plan and for players to raise their work ethic to match the other guys. On that note, it was good to see the third period rallyto pull out a victory we needed. Good luck in Brandon boys!