PDA

View Full Version : Help in Net!!

Canes4ever
02-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Without Metsola we are doomed!!
Tadjdeh can't play in this league and Anderson hasn't shown anything either. We need a goalie to keep us in a game. HELP!! vc124

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-22-2009, 01:03 PM
We had a possible backup, not even going to the Jung story, in Todd Mathews. Got him from Moose Jaw in the Shmuck deal. Gave him to the Ice for nothing pretty much when Heemskirk quit on them. He has a .911 save percentage in 17 games with the Ice.
So Stasiuk has helped out 2 teams in our division with goaltenders and we are screwed with Tadjdeh. Unreal what Roy has done.

sbtatter
02-22-2009, 04:03 PM
If we meet you in the playoffs we'd better send Hale to run over Metsola and take him out. Just kidding.
I'm really curious why you sent Jung to Edm for basically nothing, what was that all about?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-22-2009, 04:20 PM
If we meet you in the playoffs we'd better send Hale to run over Metsola and take him out. Just kidding.
I'm really curious why you sent Jung to Edm for basically nothing, what was that all about?

Hey you might be kidding but any team we play in the playoffs is gonna do thier absolute best to take Metsola out. Why wouldn't they? It pretty much guarantees they will win the series. You can bet there will be a lot of crashin the Canes net goin down.
No body knows the real Jung story. I think he probably said he was not comin here to play back up to anybody and that was that. They should have let him fight it out for #1. Metsola has only been good this year, not great. He has let in his share of soft goals fom the blueline and one from center ice!

sbtatter
02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
I gotta believe you guys are doing Ali's "rope a dope" in the regular season, and are going to show up for the playoffs......

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-22-2009, 04:55 PM
I gotta believe you guys are doing Ali's "rope a dope" in the regular season, and are going to show up for the playoffs......

It would not surprise me to see us go as far as the East final......................or lose in the first round round in 5 or 6 games.

Benchwarmer
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Maybe Roy is looking at his future when he makes these deals.

canes77
02-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Maybe Roy is looking at his future when he makes these deals.

Maybe he is...he still has a house in Edmonton and also has many close friends in Cranbrook...

shushu
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
that if tiny knows he is on his way out and just doesn't care anymore...he wouldn't be the first bad looser this team has had....giving two goalies away when last year he stated "you have to have a 1-2 punch in net just like the oilers did back when"...if so then why not this year.....plus trading 2 first round pick along with iwanski for one player that might not be here next year........crazy,somethings smells bad here..........sell this team to the sutters already, not because they might turn things around, because if they fork out millions for this team you can bet they will run it like a business and in business this bullsh#t doesn't fly.......time to get ride of the old boys club that has being running this team on someone elses dime........................

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I wonder how much Roy likes these numbers: Mathews had 41 SAVES ON 43 SHOTS FOR A .953 SAVE PERENTAGE last night for the Ice. More importantly, he gave the Ice the win so they moved ahead of us in the standings.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caniac # 2
02-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Maybe he is...he still has a house in Edmonton and also has many close friends in Cranbrook...

or maybe chilliwack.....HA HA HA. I watched the kelobc/chilbc game last night and am still wishing we had jesse craige in our lineup, he was so smooth and handled the puck like no one else can and is also the captain, why did we trade him and for what ?? cody smuk who is no longer with us........What a waste of talent !!

Bocephus
02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Stasiuk should be fired. HE DIDN'T DO HIS JOB.

His job is to provide the coach with the players. How many times this year did we not have players to fill up the roster. That alone is grounds for dismissal! We still don't have a game that we have 6 capable defensemen, 2 capable goalies, and 12 capable forwards. I would have no issue firing his ass if it was my decision. None whatsoever.

He hasn't done his job at all let alone having done it poorly.

Dyck? I'm not his biggest fan but in all seriousness, what is a coach to do when a GM doesn't provide him with 20 players every night that are capable of playing at this level of hockey.

Do I want one or both to be given their walking papers? Yes, but the worst part is is that that means the franchise has once again returned to that all to familiar place us fans have come to know all to well. How disappointing is that! GROAN

shushu
02-23-2009, 06:42 PM
go first..look at any business, it hard to blame a worker for a failing business. you look to its leadership and in there you will find its faults...getting rid of dyck and roy does not mean that these no'minds will not sign a even bigger tandem of losers.......you have to have well knowledged hockey people in place at the top to make the decisions of who will turn a failing hockey team around after some 20 odd years........ ps if you were a highend coach or gm would you want to come to this team and get pulled down with the undertow....not likely...............

NumberOneCaniac
02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
I really am wondering what is happening also. I still think we have a great team but after the last couple of games I am beginning to believe maybe we gave away the chance to go to the cup. I knew there wasnt confidence in Tadjdeh at the start of the season so when Jung came along I thought great a great back make Metsola work but then he was gone. Since then I really wonder why some of the trades were done. The games on the weekend showed we can compete then just as fast they seem to wither on the effort. Maybe they are trying to say something maybe I am just reading into nothing. But i believe the time has come to change how our team is run...get an owner in here and enough of the community team...which I believe is hurting us through no fault of the players......just too many chiefs and not enough indians...no pun intended//////GO GANES GO

Benchwarmer
02-23-2009, 09:00 PM
that if tiny knows he is on his way out and just doesn't care anymore...he wouldn't be the first bad looser this team has had....giving two goalies away when last year he stated "you have to have a 1-2 punch in net just like the oilers did back when"...if so then why not this year.....plus trading 2 first round pick along with iwanski for one player that might not be here next year........crazy,somethings smells bad here..........sell this team to the sutters already, not because they might turn things around, because if they fork out millions for this team you can bet they will run it like a business and in business this bullsh#t doesn't fly.......time to get ride of the old boys club that has being running this team on someone elses dime........................
I totally agree nothing will change till this club is owned privately by someone that knows a thing about running a business.

Derek Sutton
02-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Wow you guys have all hit the nail on the head, Cainiac, Bo, Shush, 1Caniac. These 4 posts are all reasons for this teams lackluster efforts and awful performances. It's never any one thing that holds teams back but when you tally up the problems here it's easy for anyone to see what has to happen. I totally agree with what has been said here #1, you need hockey people making hockey decisions, not a board of wannabes and never- weres. #2, The depleted rosters have been unacceptable, and #3, if you agree or not the players need to respond to the coach. When you break it down its pretty simple, and the 3 main reasons I'am not giving any more of MY money to this organization. :dead:

shushu
02-24-2009, 01:14 PM
the bottom line in this city is that we have a hockey team that is run by a group of people that know as much about running a high calibur major jr hockey team as the rest of us do...not much...you have people that bring in a coach not for his experiance,but because he knows certain people on the b.o.d.......then you have the same group that puts a gm in place, aperson that has traded yellow,craig,fadden,jung, mattews,and coutless other for next to nothing.........and last but not least, the same board that put maxi in place for7 years of painfull hockey,then votes in stocker for the gm role :confused:, that one is still hard to believe....coaches like daum, and saginuck{sp?}.time and time again........so when people come on here and say that the canes fans are negitive about everything, make me laugh......you can fire the coach,you can fire the gm....unfortunately you can fire the real problem.......................ps....my favorite is when grainbear said he ran into one of the bod and asked then about one of the games and his reply was " there was a game last night?" lol...to funny....that says it all.............

Derek Sutton
02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Aside from this forum does anyone actually know if Dyck or Roy's job are in jeopardy? especially this late in the season. There would be no better time to get a new coach then now, well 6 weeks ago would've been better but we'll take now, and a new GM would want his own coach, so what would come first? I think we are stuck with this 3 ring circus till next year. :evil:

SectionNDeserter
02-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Finding a quality GM/Coach at this time of the year might be a stretch. Lethbridge is going to be a very different team next season with the graduation of Wright, Sbisa, Versteeg, Boychuk, Sceviour and Metsola, and possibly Beach and King to the pro ranks. My hunch is that depending on how Lethbridge does in the playoffs, they will likely look to replace both over the summer with someone who can start fresh with what will probably be a relatively young roster.

moon
02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Not sure if every issue was covered in this thread or others but there is a lot of complaining here so I will respond to a lot of comments on the site in here even if they aren't specifically mentioned in this thread (hoepfully that makes some sort of sense).

I think Stasiuk has done a poor job this year at times but is nowhere near as bad as people are making him out to be. The number one issue with the team this year isn't lack of talent but missing players (i.e. Sbisba, Boychuk, Bancks etc.) Now perhaps Roy could have done more to help with replacements but with the injuries and Sbisa not sure how he could have anticipated that.

Trading Fadden was the smart thing to do and I would shutter to think of this team nto having Mestery and having to rely on guys like Sutherland, Theriau and Ryckman more than they already did. Fadden wanted out, is gone after this year and top six talent is not an issue. No way was he hosed on the deal and no way did they give Fadden away.

The Beach trade was a great deal for the Canes and a very smart move.

The goalie situation is obviously a mess. Tadjeh can beat the PA, PG and Red Deers of the league but is useless against any mediocre team. I have no problem with trading Jung who looks terrible in Edmonton depsite the "stats" and if he had issues with playing time then all the more reason to boot him. I do not get trading Matthews away though especialyl considering what it cost to get him. That was a stupid move move by Stasiuk and one that definately negates the positive moves he has made.

I don't mind the Craige deal as Craige was not close to the player he was when he came back and with Sbisa returning not really a guy the Canes needed. Obviously with Sbisa not coming back at the start he was missed but now with everyone back I think that Craige is a guy that really is not needed at all on the team. I thought Smuk would work out a lot better than he did and obviously looking back you would like to get something different but there are a million deals made that were good at the time.bad looking back and it is pretty useless to dwell on them.

Overall Stasiuk has done enough that I don't think that he needs to be fired on the spot but at the same time I think he has made some mistakes that would justify his firing if the team had a legitimate guy/direction that they were going to go with. I just don't like the idea of firing him and then floundering around for some other mediocre hack. Unless there is a clear choice and soild guy brought in I think that Stasiuk has shown that he is better than the average chump out there.

sbtatter
02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
The Beach trade was a great deal for the Canes and a very smart move.

I have no problem with trading Jung who looks terrible in Edmonton depsite the "stats" and if he had issues with playing time then all the more reason to boot him.
Interesting post. I have left in the 2 comments I would like to hear more explanation on.
How was the Beach trade a "great" trade for the canes?
And Jung has been fantastic every time we've played them, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

moon
02-25-2009, 12:02 PM
How was the Beach trade a "great" trade for the canes?

I should say it was great if he returns next season and only good if he does not.

It was great because he has played great in his games here and actually provided the team with some energy and passion to their game.

The fact that we gave up very little in return to get him makes it great as well. Iwanski seems like a nice enough guy but he is a dime a dozen bottom 6 player. If the Canes can't replace him they have enormous troubles in their front office. Theriau was done right awful in his time with the Canes. He is young and might improve but the way he was so tenative and his total lack of hockey sense make me leery of his ability to reach the levels expected of his high drafting. I was always concerned when he was on the ice. The first round pick is tough to give up but looking at WHL rosters first rounders are no guarantee and players come from all rounds to contribute. To get a superstar player like Beach I have no problem in risking a first rounder.

So looking at what we gave up compared to what we got back to me if Beach returns it was no doubt a great trade.

And Jung has been fantastic every time we've played them, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Every time I have seen him play he has let in a lot of soft goals. He seems to make most of the routine saves and none of the difficult saves that help keep a team in a game.

I guess as a back-up he wouldn't be terrible but I just don't see him as much of an upgrade over Tadjeh.

sbtatter
02-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I should say it was great if he returns next season and only good if he does not.

It was great because he has played great in his games here and actually provided the team with some energy and passion to their game.

The fact that we gave up very little in return to get him makes it great as well. Iwanski seems like a nice enough guy but he is a dime a dozen bottom 6 player. If the Canes can't replace him they have enormous troubles in their front office. Theriau was done right awful in his time with the Canes. He is young and might improve but the way he was so tenative and his total lack of hockey sense make me leery of his ability to reach the levels expected of his high drafting. I was always concerned when he was on the ice. The first round pick is tough to give up but looking at WHL rosters first rounders are no guarantee and players come from all rounds to contribute. To get a superstar player like Beach I have no problem in risking a first rounder.

So looking at what we gave up compared to what we got back to me if Beach returns it was no doubt a great trade.

Every time I have seen him play he has let in a lot of soft goals. He seems to make most of the routine saves and none of the difficult saves that help keep a team in a game.

I guess as a back-up he wouldn't be terrible but I just don't see him as much of an upgrade over Tadjeh.
Jung has way better numbers than the other 2 goalies in Edm. His GA is 2.58, the other goalies are 4.44. His save % is .911, the others are .851. And he plays the tougher teams.
Tadjeh on the other hand is worse than Metsola, Save% is.881 and goals against 3.28, on a better team than Edm, so I don't know how anyone could put Jung and Tadjeh in the same postal code?????

And Beach, well, lets just say you're better off when he's not in your lineup, could be a great talent but instead, he's a huge distraction.

Sbisa, Boychuk, Scevior, Ashton, Wright, those guys are the guys that worry me when we play you, they are the players that can beat us, not loony tunes Beach...

Just my opinion though.....

moon
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Jung has way better numbers than the other 2 goalies in Edm. His GA is 2.58, the other goalies are 4.44. His save % is .911, the others are .851. And he plays the tougher teams.
Tadjeh on the other hand is worse than Metsola, Save% is.881 and goals against 3.28, on a better team than Edm, so I don't know how anyone could put Jung and Tadjeh in the same postal code?????

I am going off what I have seen and what I have seen is that both can beat the bad teams but when the Canes are in tough I would have 0 confindence in either guy getting the job done. Jung might put up better nunbers than Tadjeh but at the end of the day a loss is a loss and from what I have seen the Canes don't win a single game with Jung in net instead of Tajdeh and have no shot with either in net in the play-offs instead of Metsola.

I guess what it comes down to is that losing 6-4 to Med Hat with Jung in net is no better than losing 8-4 with Tajdeh.

And Beach, well, lets just say you're better off when he's not in your lineup, could be a great talent but instead, he's a huge distraction.

That is not even remotely close to being true. The team is a lot better with Beach in the line-up than without. I doubt that the other players are distracted when he is averaging over a point a game.

No offense but it sounds like a guy that hasn't been watching the Canes this season and still looks at the team from last year. Before Beach the Canes were a disaster going nowhere. Now they still have elements of a disaster but at least they finally have a chance to be a good team.

Trust me any negative things that are happening now are 1 million times better than what happened pre-Beach. Other fans can continue to try and tell Canes fans how terrible Beach is for the Canes but unless you have seen this team all year long then you really can't tell just how good he has been for the Canes. Anyone who has watched this team all year long can clearly see the team is A LOT better with Beach than without.

Sbisa, Boychuk, Scevior, Ashton, Wright, those guys are the guys that worry me when we play you, they are the players that can beat us, not loony tunes Beach...

Thats fine but the fact is that Beach has been the best player on the Canes since coming over so the likelyhood is that if anyone is going to beat you Beach will be involved.

sbtatter
02-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Look at Jungs record though, he's winning games and getting shut outs for a pretty crappy team.

I'll let you and the other fans say if Beach has been your best player, I can't believe it unless more than you say it's so!

Nice to have a civil discussion though, thanks for that!!!!

Derek Sutton
02-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Beach has been the best player and nothing against him but thats why this team is sucking. If he hadn't been acquired, it is possible that there could've been 0 wins in '09. Well it's not that bad but while he has been putting up numbers, no one else has so its more that the other top players aren't getting the job done, and hes the one giving the effort.

loudi94
02-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Beach has easily been the biggest offensive threat for the Canes since coming over.

Talking with an acquaintance I heard the BOD acquired Beach under the same assumption Chicago made when drafting him- He'd promise to change. haha

canes77
02-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Beach has easily been the biggest offensive threat for the Canes since coming over.

Talking with an acquaintance I heard the BOD acquired Beach under the same assumption Chicago made when drafting him- He'd promise to change. haha

He did change...for about a week or two! Definately a positive first impression though! He is a goal-per-game player when his mind is into it.

You guys think Dyck is a good coach for Beach or not? From my guess, Dyck is no Kevin Constintine

shushu
02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
a coach that has no balls to set his players straight....how many times was it said on this board that certain players should have been benched to send then a message to shape up weather it was for lack of effort or whatever..never done, imo dyck is more concerned with trying to keep his job and TRY to put some wins on the board than to set examples for these young men and perhaps loose a few more games....................

loudi94
02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
a coach that has no balls to set his players strate....how many times was it said on this board that certain players should have been benched to send then a message to shape up weather it was for lack of effort or whatever..never done, imo dyck is more concerned with trying to keep his job and TRY to put some wins on the board than to set examples for these young men and perhaps loose a few more games....................
All indications seem to point to Dyck having lost the room. Not sure if anyone can dispute that based on the team's performance.

shushu
02-25-2009, 09:59 PM
All indications seem to point to Dyck having lost the room. Not sure if anyone can dispute that based on the team's performance.
that lack of effort that we see most nights is probably the cause of just that...going through the motions and waiting for the year to end so they can move on to bigger and better....and to tell you the truth i dont really blame any of these kids for that.........................

Derek Sutton
02-25-2009, 10:14 PM
So its obvious to all here but what do we do? I've stopped going to the games, i won't be giving the organization anymore money. One said they were thinking of not renewing for the playoffs, but with attendance at its peak lately people are still supporting them. I have no problem with supporting the players, but not this chicken s***, two bit junior program. Evreything is frustrating at the Enmax, but thats for another thread. The Herald doesn't have the gonads to write anything negative about the staff and the Radio recognizes them all as Saints. Attendance is good and last year is still fresh in peopls minds. i'm affraid they're all here till Jan '10 regardless of what happens in teh playoffs- flush.

shushu
02-25-2009, 10:30 PM
So its obvious to all here but what do we do? I've stopped going to the games, i won't be giving the organization anymore money. One said they were thinking of not renewing for the playoffs, but with attendance at its peak lately people are still supporting them. I have no problem with supporting the players, but not this chicken s***, two bit junior program. Evreything is frustrating at the Enmax, but thats for another thread. The Herald doesn't have the gonads to write anything negative about the staff and the Radio recognizes them all as Saints. Attendance is good and last year is still fresh in peopls minds. i'm affraid they're all here till Jan '10 regardless of what happens in teh playoffs- flush.
trust me if this team continues on it path, next years attendance will drop faster than a 10 lbs bag of sh#t.........

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Torrie Jung stones the Rebels tonight. He stopped 34 of 35 shots tonight with a save percentage of .972 to put the Oil Kings just 4 points back of the Canes. The mere thought that this super team of the 2008-09 season is only 4 pts ahead of Edmonton just shows this team sucks hard.

dagley
02-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Lethbridge was pretty good in the first ten minutes, that's about all tonight. Also, your team is chippy...hacking and whacking behind the play and slashing, good thing none of our boys did anything stupid tonight to hurt us this weekend.

shushu
02-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Lethbridge was pretty good in the first ten minutes, that's about all tonight. Also, your team is chippy...hacking and whacking behind the play and slashing, good thing none of our boys did anything stupid tonight to hurt us this weekend.
tons of effort in the first period and if they are not rewarded with 5 quick goal then the game is over to then...believe it or not.... one thing that is new is the bad additude, that the funny part..stasiuk was alway the type to build a team that play clean hockey win with pride , loose with pride...but lately the canes have become the goon squad, if were loosing your going to pay for it type of mentality....cant fugure it out..i guess its a team that has lost it direction in a BIG way and will try anything to win.................

dagley
02-26-2009, 12:27 AM
tons of effort in the first period and if they are not rewarded with 5 quick goal then the game is over to then...believe it or not.... one thing that is new is the bad additude, that the funny part..stasiuk was alway the type to build a team that play clean hockey win with pride , loose with pride...but lately the canes have become the goon squad, if were loosing your going to pay for it type of mentality....cant fugure it out..i guess its a team that has lost it direction in a BIG way and will try anything to win.................

It's weird, because during the playoff series last season I had a bit of respect for them, after beating us then going to the league final. But, it's just the chippy **** that bothers me, it's kind of pathetic. It's more then I have ever seen, late in the game Metsola was pulled, and the face off went back down in the Lethbridge zone, he came back in and purposely bumped into Calvert. The slashing down the ice behind the play, (Zalaski is terrible)...it was goony.

brandonboy
02-26-2009, 12:21 PM
It's weird, because during the playoff series last season I had a bit of respect for them, after beating us then going to the league final. But, it's just the chippy **** that bothers me, it's kind of pathetic. It's more then I have ever seen, late in the game Metsola was pulled, and the face off went back down in the Lethbridge zone, he came back in and purposely bumped into Calvert. The slashing down the ice behind the play, (Zalaski is terrible)...it was goony.
Dont make any referance to the officiating. The PA fans will be all over that! :laugh:

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-26-2009, 02:17 PM

I don't know Shu. I watched the game and even though I had a few pops while watching it I did not see a lot or any dirty hockey. We only got 3 penalties which is like a season low. Also I thought the effort was there in the third. I think we spent more time in Brandons end then our own. We were outshot in the 3rd 10-9 but you know we don't shoot enough. So even though we were pressing them quite a bit we only got 9 shots. Also we outshot them overall. If Priestner does not play as well as he did it could have been a different result. Also, remember Brandon is playing like great Hockey of late with the 3rd best record in the whole league since Dec - 10. I for one am gonna say OK to good game by the Canes. Just my take on the game.

p.s.
Nice to see Boychuks line playing well. Was there best game in a while.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't know Shu. I watched the game and even though I had a few pops while watching it I did not see a lot or any dirty hockey. We only got 3 penalties which is like a season low. Also I thought the effort was there in the third. I think we spent more time in Brandons end then our own. We were outshot in the 3rd 10-9 but you know we don't shoot enough. So even though we were pressing them quite a bit we only got 9 shots. Also we outshot them overall. If Priestner does not play as well as he did it could have been a different result. Also, remember Brandon is playing like great Hockey of late with the 3rd best record in the whole league since Dec - 10. I for one am gonna say OK to good game by the Canes. Just my take on the game.

p.s.
Nice to see Boychuks line playing well. Was there best game in a while.

I thought you guys played well for missing a couple players and being on the road. The difference between this being settled in regulation time and extra time was James Priestner. Lethbridge pressured James for a good portion of this game, but he stood tall. Our goaltending has been real good lately and has been forgotten about since Christmas.

canes77
02-27-2009, 02:35 AM

I agree with that! I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with it...the only positive for Dyck now is that he has exceeded my expectations each playoff year he's been here (even those couple first round losses, the team kicked it into a much higher gear and avoided getting dominated! this Spring is his last chance I'm sure...)

It's too late to have a coaching change this season...maybe thats why Rich Sutter is an "unofficial coach" at this point...will he have a much better job title come next Fall??

The organization finally (after 20+ yrs) honoured him and his brothers, good timing eh?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I agree with that! I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with it...the only positive for Dyck now is that he has exceeded my expectations each playoff year he's been here (even those couple first round losses, the team kicked it into a much higher gear and avoided getting dominated! this Spring is his last chance I'm sure...)

I think Dyck only took us to the playoffs the one year. The previous year we missed the playoffs and Dyck was not the coach those other early playoff exit years.

shushu
02-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I think Dyck only took us to the playoffs the one year. The previous year we missed the playoffs and Dyck was not the coach those other early playoff exit years.
the year that we were knocked out by calgary dyck was the coach but road the season that hofford had built so would not be fair to give credit ...infact if i remember correctly hofford had the team playing well untill dyck took over and the slide began...............

shushu
02-27-2009, 01:45 PM

It's too late to have a coaching change this season...maybe thats why Rich Sutter is an "unofficial coach" at this point...will he have a much better job title come next Fall??

The organization finally (after 20+ yrs) honoured him and his brothers, good timing eh?
i find it hard to believe that all of a sudden the canes found jesus and dicided to honour the sutters without some ulterior motive...it strikes me as strange that all of a sudden a sutter ends up on the team{brody} followed by rich's daughter getting a job in the front office then honouring the family.....why all of a sudden and why so much...it would solve alot of current problems to find a very knowledgable hockey man right here in the city without him buying the team.............ps dont you think daune sutter told his brother to get involved with the team so his son has a chance to develop by quality people..............IMO

SectionNDeserter
02-27-2009, 06:44 PM
When I went to a game in Lethbridge many many seasons ago, the entrance to the arena looked like a Sutter shrine, with trophy cases lined with awards, articles, photos, posters etc. of them. I don't know about game ceremonies, or if this has changed, but it was very clear to anyone who went to the arena back then that they were a big part of the organization.

shushu
02-27-2009, 08:58 PM
When I went to a game in Lethbridge many many seasons ago, the entrance to the arena looked like a Sutter shrine, with trophy cases lined with awards, articles, photos, posters etc. of them. I don't know about game ceremonies, or if this has changed, but it was very clear to anyone who went to the arena back then that they were a big part of the organization.
but not this current president and gm....they cant stands the idea of the sutters trying hard to buy the team away from them.................

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Stasiuks gifts just keep on giving. Mathews stops all 30 shots last night and the Ice move further ahead of us. Way to help out the competition Roy.

Bocephus
03-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Stasiuks gifts just keep on giving. Mathews stops all 30 shots last night and the Ice move further ahead of us. Way to help out the competition Roy.

If it makes you feel any better here is Fadden's stat line for february.
12 GP, 14 Goals, 8 Assists, 22 Points, +15. and...first place in the division

Mr. Stasiuk, Bob Tory on Line 1!

moon
03-01-2009, 06:57 PM
If it makes you feel any better here is Fadden's stat line for february.
12 GP, 14 Goals, 8 Assists, 22 Points, +15. and...first place in the division

Mr. Stasiuk, Bob Tory on Line 1!

Here is line-up without Mesterey:

Wright-Versteeg
Yadlowski-Sutherland
Stevens-Ryckman

:spineyes:

Considering the time missed by Wright and Versteeg that makes it even scarier.

With Boychuk, King, Bancks, Ashton and Sceviour already here getting a top 4 defenseman, who will be here next year and perhaps after as well, was much more important than keeping a top 6 forward, who refused to play defense and wanted out anyways.

That 1st place standing is cool and all but with Vancouver in their conference their chances of winning it all aren't much better than Lethbridges.

Unless Fadden was going to play goal when Metsola was gone and needed a rest and defense for most of the season before Sbisa came back it wasn't like the Canes weren't going to have the exact same issues that they do now. Throw in the fact that we would lose Wright and Versteeg next season and our defense next year would be done right terrifying.

That doesn't even take into account the fact that Hoff, while no Fadden obviously, has quietly been great at his role for the Canes and scored a few big goals himself.

The deal looks good for Tri-Cities because they get the flashy name 60 games but considering what the Canes needs were it was a deal that made perfect sense for them and one that made them a better team this year and next.

Bocephus
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Here is line-up without Mesterey:

Wright-Versteeg
Yadlowski-Sutherland
Stevens-Ryckman

:spineyes:

Considering the time missed by Wright and Versteeg that makes it even scarier.

With Boychuk, King, Bancks, Ashton and Sceviour already here getting a top 4 defenseman, who will be here next year and perhaps after as well, was much more important than keeping a top 6 forward, who refused to play defense and wanted out anyways.

That 1st place standing is cool and all but with Vancouver in their conference their chances of winning it all aren't much better than Lethbridges.

Unless Fadden was going to play goal when Metsola was gone and needed a rest and defense for most of the season before Sbisa came back it wasn't like the Canes weren't going to have the exact same issues that they do now. Throw in the fact that we would lose Wright and Versteeg next season and our defense next year would be done right terrifying.

That doesn't even take into account the fact that Hoff, while no Fadden obviously, has quietly been great at his role for the Canes and scored a few big goals himself.

The deal looks good for Tri-Cities because they get the flashy name 60 games but considering what the Canes needs were it was a deal that made perfect sense for them and one that made them a better team this year and next.
Perhaps Stasiuk should be scolded for having those as our top 6. He was just fortunate that Fadden was returned and he could trade that piece. Is that what you are saying?
Hoff has been great at his role? You throw the word 'great' around pretty friggin easily.
I just watched the Y's-Men play this afternoon. I swear they could easily hang with the Canes.

moon
03-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Perhaps Stasiuk should be scolded for having those as our top 6. He was just fortunate that Fadden was returned and he could trade that piece. Is that what you are saying?
Hoff has been great at his role? You throw the word 'great' around pretty friggin easily.
I just watched the Y's-Men play this afternoon. I swear they could easily hang with the Canes.

I do think that it was Stasiuks fault that the Canes were in the situation that they needed to get a top 4 defenseman. Sure Sbisa was a shock leaving but he still should have had a stronger group considering we were supposed to make a run this season.

I do think that as a defensive 3rd liner who kills PK's and takes big face-offs that Hoff has been great. He has had a ton of short handed opportunities and done a good job of kicking in a few goals. Now whether or not we should be using a 20 year old spot for that role is another argument but in terms of what Hoff brings and should be expected to bring I think he has done a great job.

localguy
03-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Mestery is not a top 4 d-man. Max Ross and Yadlowski are way better, and ryckman is about the same. He doesn't play the man ever, doesn't take away space or challenge. He skates backward to his crease then watches the guy skate around him as he tries to poke the puck off his stick as teh guys scores. Total waste. He is no better than any of the guys on your list of what would have been our top six w/o the trade. There had to be better players to be had for the best 20 yr old in the league. Not a knock on Hoff, he's fine, but his role could be filled quite easily by a 17 yr old. The trade was a knee jerk move, and a lousy one. Alexiuk was as good as Mestery and we cut him.

moon
03-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Mestery is not a top 4 d-man. Max Ross and Yadlowski are way better, and ryckman is about the same. He doesn't play the man ever, doesn't take away space or challenge. He skates backward to his crease then watches the guy skate around him as he tries to poke the puck off his stick as teh guys scores. Total waste. He is no better than any of the guys on your list of what would have been our top six w/o the trade. There had to be better players to be had for the best 20 yr old in the league. Not a knock on Hoff, he's fine, but his role could be filled quite easily by a 17 yr old. The trade was a knee jerk move, and a lousy one. Alexiuk was as good as Mestery and we cut him.

Hard to argue with outlandish claims like that but Mestery is clearly the 3rd or 4th (depending how much you like Versteeg) defenseman on this team and a legitimate top 4 guy in the league.

Ryckman is lucky if he can get the puck out of our own zone 2 times out of 10. Alexiuk was the worst of a terrible group of defensemen (Theriau, Sutherland, Stevens, Ryckman) and not anywhere close to Mestery.

I really like Ross but he is not as good as Mestery.

I agree (and did earlier) that using Hoff as a 20 year old isn't great in his role but that doesn't change the fact that he has played. It also isn't that easy to replace him with a 17 year old as other guys on the roster like Orfino, Braes, Fytin, Sutter, Iwanski etc. haven't played any better than him.

We are likely going to go back and forth on this as we obviously disagree on the assessment of Mestery.

But I still like a deal that gets you a top 4 defenseman for 2-3 years for a lazy, cherry picking 20 year old (no matter how good) who wanted to be traded especially when your team has plenty of offensive talent on the team already.

Derek Sutton
03-02-2009, 06:53 PM
We are likely going to go back and forth on this as we obviously disagree on the assessment of Mestery.

But I still like a deal that gets you a top 4 defenseman for 2-3 years for a lazy, cherry picking 20 year old (no matter how good) who wanted to be traded especially when your team has plenty of offensive talent on the team already.

Please define top 4, also find someoone who agrees with your "assesmesnt" of Mestery. Roy got hosed on this one Bud, conversation over.

grainbear
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I am sorry, but you can not have a consultant based out of Calgary even if he is good . You need some one who is here every practice to work with the talent we have. Tadjdeh has great puck handling skills much better the our Finish goatender. Does he have some weakness , of course . I still think both with our goaltenders and with our team in total the biggest key is psychological toughness. How many games has this team lost this year due to 5 to 10 minutes of not paying the price or of in a sense stopping mentally because either goaltenders standing on their heads, officials, or the frustration of beating the traps used to stop our speed . Lastly, the amount of time wasted by our powerplays continually cycling the puck and not teaching our d-men to move laterally to open up the lanes that are clogged.