PDA

View Full Version : Canes in bdn

sbtatter
02-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Lots of interest here in B-town to see the team that knocked us out last season, here's a little blurb from our website

Brandon Wheat Kings Insider

WHEATIES SET TO TAKE ON 'CANES

Brandon, Manitoba -- In what could be a first round Western Hockey League playoff preview, the Brandon Wheat Kings will play host to the visiting Lethbridge Hurricanes on Wednesday night at Westman Communications Group Place.

While the Wheat Kings enter the game riding a 4-game winning streak and winners of nine of their last ten, the Hurricanes will be hoping to snap a 2-game losing skid.

Brandon is 42-16-3-1 entering Wednesday's game, trailing the front running Saskatoon Blades by four points in the WHL's Eastern Division. The Blades take on Moose Jaw Wednesday, before travelling to Brandon for a pivotal 2-game weekend series beginning Friday night.

The Hurricanes meanwhile are 30-27-3-2, good for 65 points and seventh place in the Eastern Conference. Lethbridge trails Kootenay by one point enterting the week.

This year marks the third straight year that the Wheat Kings have reached the 40-win plateau and the fifth time in the past seven seasons. Since joining the WCHL in 1967, Brandon has won forty or more games on sixteen occasions, including twelve since 1992-93.

“Tonight is a huge game for us, that's another potential playoff team we could face,” Wheat Kings' veteran Matt Calvert told Tyler Crayston of CKX Television recently. “It's going to be a big game for us and a good confidence booster if we can get the win.”

One of the hottest Wheat Kings of late, Calvert has managed to score at least a point in nine of his last 10 games. Entering Wednesday, the former AAA Midget Wheat King has twenty-three goals and 57 points in 48 games. He is one of six Wheat Kings currently averaging at least a point per game this season.

Leading the way is 17-year old center Brayden Schenn with 28 goals and 78 points in sixty games, followed by Jay Fehr (27-47-74) and Andrew Clark (36-35-71).

The Hurricanes roster includes center Zach Boychuk, a first round pick of the Carolina Hurricanes, newly acquired forward Kyle Beach and veteran blueliner Luca Sbisa, who was returned to Lethbridge earlier this month by the Philadelphia Flyers.

Colton Sceviour currently leads the 'Canes in scoring with 69 points, including 24 goals in 59 games.

“Certainly we've had a good run for an extended period of time and we want to keep that momentum and keep getting better,” says Wheat Kings' coach and general manager Kelly McCrimmon. “We want to be playing well heading into the playoffs.”

Wednesday night is another “Whopper Wednesday“ at Westman Place, with the first 2,500 fans in attendance to receive a free Whopper from Brandon's Burger King Restaurant.

Tickets to Wednesday's game are on sale now at the Keystone Centre box office. Fans can also order by phone at 726-3555 or online at ticketmaster.ca

Allin44
02-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi Canes Fans,

Can you please just give us this game? In all likelyhood you are going to be playing either us or Saskatoon in round one, so can you let us just have the points so we can take the division.

Thanks

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi Canes Fans,

Can you please just give us this game? In all likelyhood you are going to be playing either us or Saskatoon in round one, so can you let us just have the points so we can take the division.

Thanks

Oh I am pretty sure you get the 2 points tonight but there are no sure things, especially with the Canes this year. I just hope if the bad Canes show up you don't pump to many goals in on us.

DunnerStunner
02-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh I am pretty sure you get the 2 points tonight but there are no sure things, especially with the Canes this year. I just hope if the bad Canes show up you don't pump to many goals in on us.

I didnt know that there was a "good" Canes team this season?... haha

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I didnt know that there was a "good" Canes team this season?... haha
Oh there was a time. We started the season 3-0. We have only been crappy for like the last 65 -70 games............ ;)

Section Eight
02-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh there was a time. We started the season 3-0. We have only been crappy for like the last 65 -70 games............ ;)

I admire your sense of humour. Brandon really needs the game to set-up a 3 game showdown with Saskatoon for the Division but the Canes always seem to play the Wheaties tough and I don't think tonight will be any different.

They may have played "crappy" for a good portion of the season but the Canes are a team with a lot of offensive talent and if they ever start putting things together ... (i just hope not tonight).

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-25-2009, 03:06 PM
I admire your sense of humour. Brandon really needs the game to set-up a 3 game showdown with Saskatoon for the Division but the Canes always seem to play the Wheaties tough and I don't think tonight will be any different.

They may have played "crappy" for a good portion of the season but the Canes are a team with a lot of offensive talent and if they ever start putting things together ... (i just hope not tonight).

IF!

sbtatter
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
If Wright and Metsola are out we should have a real chance to win, if they play it's a toss up, Canes have played us very tough this year.....Just hope we win so the games against the Blades mean something....