PDA

View Full Version : hurricanes in brand

gowheaties
02-28-2009, 12:03 AM
didnt seem to have any life. after the game it was reported that lethbridge had a closed door meeting for 40 minutes in their dressing room. anyone know anything about this.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-28-2009, 12:24 PM
didnt seem to have any life. after the game it was reported that lethbridge had a closed door meeting for 40 minutes in their dressing room. anyone know anything about this.

Basically Dyck said on the radio last night too many guys are just not trying and effort is not very good. Boy is that an understatement. I think our big problem is we have too many guys with signed, sealed and delivered NHL contracts, or they have already been drafted so no need to play really good until they make the big leagues. There mind is on the NHL and not the WHL.
Very inconsistent effort this year. One night one guy or a certain line is really going and the next night maybe someone else, or nobody is going hard. King does nothing much in Brandon and then last night he is by far the best player on the ice.
It is not just the 6 "star" forwards. None of the rest of the forwards have stepped up. Our 3rd and 4th lines have been lousy. No one or two players has really taken off to say I want to be on the 3rd line and play a lot. Our 3rd and 4th lines are equally ineffective.
Our top 6 forwards are all plus players but are only plus 51 between them. Pierro-Zabotel for example is plus 60 all by himself. Our bottom 6 are all pretty much minus players whit a combined minus 36 among them. I think our top 2 lines will turn it up in the playoffs but if we don't get a really good 3rd line going we will be in trouble. I am not blaming the bottom 6 guys as they are not the ones with NHL connections, but they need to be better also.

LHF
02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
I think our big problem is we have too many guys with signed, sealed and delivered NHL contracts, or they have already been drafted so no need to play good until they make the big leagues. There mind is on the NHL and not the WHL.

Absolutely disagree!!!

It is obvious you don't know these guys at all. To say they don't want to win or try to win because they just want to get to the NHL is so wrong. Yes, there are 3 guys on the team with signed contracts, but there are no guarantee's as far as them making the big leagues. What they do in juniors plays a huge part in them making the NHL. Don't you think the NHL teams are watching what they are doing right now. They are not quitter's and if they look like they are quitters, why would the NHL teams want them? So it's not that they a giving up. They would never do that. It's just not in them. You don't make the big leagues by not playing well. And I can say first hand that nobody is more upset and pi$$ed off than them when they lose.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Absolutely disagree!!!

It is obvious you don't know these guys at all. To say they don't want to win or try to win because they just want to get to the NHL is so wrong. Yes, there are 3 guys on the team with signed contracts, but there are no guarantee's as far as them making the big leagues. What they do in juniors plays a huge part in them making the NHL. Don't you think the NHL teams are watching what they are doing right now. They are not quitter's and if they look like they are quitters, why would the NHL teams want them? So it's not that they a giving up. They would never do that. It's just not in them. You don't make the big leagues by not playing well. And I can say first hand that nobody is more upset and pi$$ed off than them when they lose.

Absolutely disagree!!!

It is obvious you don't know these guys at all!!!!!!!!

It's one thing to be pissed off when you lose. The real test is do you do something about it? The answer this year is no. Of course they are gonna look like they are pissed off. How long do you think you would be on a team if after a lackluster loss you were smiling and whistling dixie, come on man.
No where do I say they don't want to win and don't try so please don't put words into my story. Everyone wants to win and everyone trys to some extent. But how bad do you want to win and how hard do you want to try? The answer for the Canes this year is not enough. Also if you "totally disagree" then you are saying the team has been totally consistent this year and put out 100% effort every night. Also you must feel that we have good set third and fourth lines if you "totally disagree". Again to "totally disagree" you think we are doing as good as we can as a team. I venture to guess that 99.9% of fans don't think that is the case.
It would appear that coach Dyck agrees with the gist of what I was saying, that there is not enougf effort from most players on most nights. Sorry, but you may have somewhat misread my comments I guess so we will have to agree to disagree, or maybe you only somewhat disagree.
So if we are trying really hard and have such good players and 4 good lines, then why are we just a couple of extra losses to date from being out of a playoff of spot?

LHF
02-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Absolutely disagree!!!

It is obvious you don't know these guys at all!!!!!!!!

It's one thing to be pissed off when you lose. The real test is do you do something about it? The answer this year is no. Of course they are gonna look like they are pissed off. How long do you think you would be on a team if after a lackluster loss you were smiling and whistling dixie, come on man.
No where do I say they don't want to win and don't try so don't put words into my story. Everyone wants to win and everyone trys to some extent. But how bad do you want to win and how hard do you want to try? The answer for the Canes this year is not enough. Also if you "totally disagree" then you are saying the team has been totally consistent this year and put out 100% effort every night. Also you must feel that we have good set third and fourth lines if you "totally disagree". Again to "totally disagree" you think we are doing as good as we can as a team. I venture to guess that 99.9% of fans don't think that is the case.
It would appear that coach Dyck agrees with the gist of what I was saying, (not enuff effort from most players) but what does he know about this team? Sorry, but you may have somewhat misread my comments I guess so we will have to agree to disagree, or maybe you only somewhat disagree.
So if we are trying really hard and have such good players and 4 good lines, then why are we just a couple of extra losses to date from being out of a playoff of spot?

You said in your post that the guys that have signed contracts or have been drafted think there is 'no need to play good until they make the big leagues'. I took that to mean, that you think they don't need to try, they don't care if they win, and that they don't need to play good. And I was saying I disagree with you. If I read it wrong, I apologize. That was the only part of your post I disagreed with, which is why I omitted the rest of your quote.

I am a huge fan of the Canes, have been for a very long time. And looking back on this year, I have to say I am as disappointed as anyone. But I think alot of the losses can be put directly on the management. Here are some questions to think about...

Why, when we had so many injuries and guys away at tournaments did they not call up some guys, so that we would have more than 14 players?

Why when we were so short on d-men was Castro, (who is listed as a d-man) sat out, or played at forward?

Why do they "sit" Reners for the whole 3rd period, then put him out on the PP in the last 3 minutes of the game?

Why, when going into OT with Vancouver they put Bancks out with King on the first shift of OT? Most of the time that would be just fine, but it was Bancks first game back after his injury and his play time had been limited throughout the game and was not playing as hard as he usually does.

My point is, the losses this year can't be totally put on the players. (I'm not saying thats what you think HR) just making a point. We need to spread the blame around to everyone.

But you know what they say...the playoffs are a whole new season, and anything can happen. Here's hoping the team can come together, stay healthy, and make some noise in the "REAL" season.

Bocephus
02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
But you know what they say....

Rome wasn't burned in a day.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-28-2009, 07:14 PM
game of the regular season. If we lose tonight we are 9 back of them for 5th spot with 7 games to go. Again if we lose to Speedy Creek we almost certainly won't catch them or the Hat for 4th or 5th place. From that point on it is almost irrelevant what we do as to finish either 6th or 7th makes no diff. Pick your poison if we lose tonight .............the Blades or Wheaties without home ice. IF IF IF IF ...........................we win tonight we have a decent chance to get 5th place and set up a series with the Hat. Oh Geez, on second thought that does not sound so hot either. We have beat the Tigers like once this year I think. Oh well, we will finish where we do and then hope the long awaited REAL CANES team show up for awhile...................Or is what we have put up with all year the real Canes. I guess we will see.

caniac # 2
03-01-2009, 11:21 AM
JUST MY THOUGHTS HERE, BUT UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES AS OF LATE I THINK I WOULD RATHER SEE CALGARY THEN SASKATOON, LESS TRAVEL AND POSSIBLY WE CANES FANS CAN ATTEND A GAME OR TWO IN CALGARY,WHO KNOWS, IF WE ARE GOING TO BE ELIMINATED AFTER THE FIRST ROUND, THE CANES MAY AS WELL BE BEAT BY THE BEST !!

LETS BE HONEST FOLKS, WE AREN'T GOING PAST THE 1ST ROUND UNLESS SOMETHING DRASTIC HAPPENS AND SOMETHING DRASTIC SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED BY NOW. SORRY TO BE NEGATIVE BUT THE TRUTH HURTS AND I AM FRUSTRATED AT THE WHOLE ORGANIZATION FROM TOP TO BOTTOM AND AM NOT LOOKING FOR AN ARGUEMENT HERE, JUST PO'ED ABOUT THE WHOLE SEASON !!

vc124

moon
03-01-2009, 11:58 AM
LETS BE HONEST FOLKS, WE AREN'T GOING PAST THE 1ST ROUND UNLESS SOMETHING DRASTIC HAPPENS AND SOMETHING DRASTIC SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED BY NOW. SORRY TO BE NEGATIVE BUT THE TRUTH HURTS AND I AM FRUSTRATED AT THE WHOLE ORGANIZATION FROM TOP TO BOTTOM AND AM NOT LOOKING FOR AN ARGUEMENT HERE, JUST PO'ED ABOUT THE WHOLE SEASON !!

vc124

Something drastic like Metsola playing like he did last play-offs? Boychuk or Beach dominating a few games and getting the Canes a few wins in a short series?

I agree that it is unlikely that the Canes win in the first round based on their consistency this season but looking at their talent I see no reason why it would have to take something drastic for them to win 4 games.

Now in terms of putting that together round after round I do agree it would take something drastic as that consistency has been lacking all year long, but in one round I like the chances that the Hurricanes can get big performances from their top guys in 3-4 games.