PDA

View Full Version : rebel report

Tinner
04-18-2005, 06:40 PM
The Rebel Report (unlike the one that repeats everything we already know)

Goal

Festa; A-, came into the season being counted on to provide 30 games or less and tutor Peeters. As season wore on played as #1 and provided maturity in the dressing room.

Leslie; A+, a good trade for the Rebels and him as he came in and played pretty good and earned the #1 tag. Will be an asset next year with Reimer.

Defense

#2 Flatters, C – a learning season and he was inconsistent. That said, next year will be a year where his play will put him in the top 6…..maybe.

#3 Phaneuf, A – played a year he shouldn’t have and added much needed help. Undoubtedly our best d man if not player.

#4 Kurceba, B+ - as season went on he became more of a player. Solid within the system.

#5 Lamoureux. B – once his skating improved, so did his play. Good heart and soul guy as he plays with balls.

#6 Kuukka, B – should have been better and should be better next year.

#7 Moore, B – not the d man we needed and could be the enforcer if his play picks up.

#8 Frere, C – as a rookie he played sparingly and the upside is in next years play.

#27 Zetariuk, C- - as a returning d man, he should have had a better year. Vision of ice needs improvement and role may be reduced to that of an enforcer next year.

Forwards

#9 Johnson, C – so-so year. Didn’t provide the scoring we needed and will be in tough to hold on to a over age spot.

#10 Rome, C+ - provided some leadership and scoring. Expect him to win an overage spot next year.

#11 Fraser, A – provided scoring, leadership and some toughness

#12 Sutter, C- – as a late call up played well and the future looks good for next year. Hasn’t and won’t provide much scoring this year or be a factor.

#14 Knackstedt, C – didn’t live up to early season projections and hype

#15 Walker, B – expected more and play was suspect

#17 Lilley, B+ - played as expected, needs work, but he will get better

#18 Pieper, B – will most likely be the run and gun guy next year but his play some nights costs the Rebs.

#19 Vandermeer, B+ - injured most of the year, he tried to play rough but his body said no. Needs to play within his size and skill.

#20 Morris, A- - came in and did the job, some nights a little lazy.

#22 Gillies, B – rough around the edges, good 3rd line guy and upside is size.

#23 Henituik, B- - didn’t provide as much as he could have or should have.

#25 Kline, C- - for his size, he needs to play more aggressive, has good hands.

#26 Wick, A+ - first time in awhile that we’ve had a rookie scoring leader. If he comes back next year, he will be fun to watch.

#29 Neiszner, B+ - typical team guy who provided occasional scoring.

3rebels
04-18-2005, 11:02 PM
I agree with almost all the report card, all except Zets. His should have been a D - F. His play just seemed to go down hill from camp on to the end of the year. Even being publicly criticized in the paper weekly did not change his play. I do not know of many players who made more turn-overs (unless they are cooks) or fell down/tripped over their own feet. Hopefully it was just a growth spurt and Zets gets better next season.

charlie
04-19-2005, 06:41 AM
i agree with much of what you have posted rebel39. i think you nailed it on most of the guys.

i don't think either of our tenders deserve an A. leslie did improve from when he joined the team and he may very well be a pretty good stopper next year but i feel that we went into the playoffs with two backups. i stated in an earlier post that the 18's and many of the 19's did not live up to expectations this year...i still believe that and the goal situation caused our early exit from the playoffs.

the other two i don't agree on is knacksteadt, who i think had a pretty good year for a 16 year old, big frame and he will grow into it, he didn't put much up for numbers but his wall play and corner play improved as the year went on. lilley is a junior a player in my mind and doesn't belong in this league as a 19 year old.

charlie

Tinner
04-19-2005, 07:45 AM
i think its great that we can agree/disagree in a respectful manner. i'm sure there will be differences in opinion but i will agree with your point on the fact that the 18's and 19's didn't live up to expectations. also, i got to see lilley play very sporactically and most likely gave him too much credit.

charlie
04-19-2005, 07:59 AM
39 i agree completely about the respect. it is what is missing from the white board and most other forums...i hope that never changes on this site.

as to the perspective of how we all view the game, i'll tell you a little story that came out of a parent/coach meeting i was once involved in. the father of the player told me if i was teaching his son how to play the violin he would never have a comment but since it was hockey and we were all experts we would just agree to disagree. we all view the game differently, hot stove discussions grew from this, i hope it never changes.

D.A.
04-19-2005, 08:24 AM
I love that story, Charlie - I've repeated it several times myself.

As for the evaluations:

I agree with Charlie on the goaltenders. If we had to "A" goalies, we'd still be playing right now. They both did pretty much what was expected of them (with the occassional awful goal), but neither was the kind of guy that was going to take you too far in the playoffs.

On D, I really like Flatters and think he will develope nicely into a solid, tough defenceman. And if anyone deserves a "+" beside the "A", it's gotta be Phaneuf. He may be the best we'll ever see in Red Deer. Finally, I'll go against the grain with Zets and say that I think this kid has a ton of potential if he can put it all together. Of course, I also said that about Shay Stephenson for several years in a row. We'll see...

Up front, I think Sutter deserves much more than a C-. He stepped in as a 15 and jumped right onto the 2nd line, played in all situations, and looked good doing all of it. If you're adjusting the grades to account for age/expectations, I'd give him an A. If not, he deserves at least a B. Will be fun to watch in years to come. Same sort of deal with Knackstedt. I think this kid looks like the real thing and should develope into quite a good player for the Rebels. I also have to go with Charlie on Lilley. Certainly Walker is ahead of him. Lilley will be a good 3rd or 4th line grinder for us, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Walker as one of our top guys next year. I hope that Gillies ends up as a "B" player, but I only saw a C most of the year. I'd also drop Wick from an A+ to a mere A, mostly because I think the playoffs exposed the fact that he has just one trick in his bag when it comes to beating defencemen. It worked a few times early in the season, but not at all later on.

Any other comments would just be nit-picking, as the list looks pretty good.

charlie
04-19-2005, 08:51 AM
well D.A. nice of you to pull your head outta the computer and share your wisdom. oops, supposed to stay civil lol. you a daddy yet?

charlie
04-19-2005, 08:59 AM
btw, regarding zetariuk, don't be surprised if his parents take a page out of doug lynchs moms book and get him traded. jmo.

Red celtic
04-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Good job on most of your grades I would put Zatariuk at C and move lilly down to a C as well. As for Flatters He needs to get smarter so 39's assessment was right on the money. Don't be surrprised to see both Zets and Lilly traded. Zets has a hard time playing the role Sutter wants and Lilly is going to be in the way of some young forwards who will be needing ice time. If Kukka does not come back we will need some experience on the backend. also I would move Neiszner up to a A++ But hey I really like the guy.
:turkey: