PDA

View Full Version : Warriors 1 @ Broncos 5

Big Ern
03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
The one-sided affair between the featured two hockey clubs continued tonight at the Credit Union i-Plex. The Broncos opened up a 2-goal lead in the first period on goals from Jan Dalecky and Cody Eakin and beat Moose Jaw 5-1 for their 13th win versus the Warriors in the last 14 meetings between the teams.

-the Broncos managed to stay in control of the game, even if at times they did so by playing what wasn't their best hockey.

-Swift Current's rather sluggish start was obviously not the game plan. They were outshot 10-3 in the first period by a team that sits last in the Eastern Conference. The Broncos were creative offensively but could not find that opening goal until 12:56 had passed in the game....despite two gaping-net chances for Michael Stickland and Jan Dalecky.

-unfortunately for the Warriors, their goaltending let them down tonight. Jeff Bosch allowed two goals in just three first period shots, and didn't look sharp at all for the better part of the game. All five goals beat him the exact same way.....about waist high.

-on the other side it wasn't really due to a lack of effort, but the Warriors just couldn't get anything going. They maybe looked a bit tired after last night's game in Medicine Hat and fell victim to the speed of the team opposite them tonight. Moose Jaw has a very young group of guys and one can totally sense that by watching them play....the little mistakes here and there all add up. The Warriors did not respond very well to two quick goals by Swift Current late in the first, and really didn't look threatening at all from that point forward. There were spurts of pressure...namely in the latter stages of the second frame, but nothing really serious that G Travis Yonkman wasn't able to suffocate. The Warriors' only goal came at 16:56 of the second period from Jesse Paradis.

-Mike Brown had a big night. He keeps getting on the scoreboard lately and scored two goals tonight...the third Bronco goal at 1:53 of the second period, and the fifth one at 16:23 of the third...a powerplay marker. Brown has been playing with a bit of an offensive edge and is now finding the back of the net.

-the Broncos have gotten some offensive help from Spencer McAvoy in this 4-game homestand. McAvoy scored again tonight and drew a solid +3.

-Andrew Hewett has really found a place in the line-up since the injury to Joel Rogers. Hewett also drew a +3 tonight.

It's becoming more and more of a team game. Over this 4-0 homestand the Broncos were able to put together, we've seen team efforts night in and night out. When guys work at what they do best, the Broncos' chances of success seem to be pretty high...even if they do trail by a goal for a while, or are missing key guys like Tassone and Stickland.

In my humble opinion, the Broncos' powerplay will need some more focus, as it's had it's share of problems this year. Yet somehow they manage to score some powerplay goals...like the 1 for 3 stat would indicate in tonight's game. We'll see what happens.

The team now departs for weekend visits to Edmonton and Red Deer. The Oil Kings were here just a week ago and the Broncos found a way to revenge the previous two losses to them this year. They'll be pumped to get another chance at Swifty this quickly. And the Red Deer Rebels have no doubt been playing their best hockey of the season of late....at least as recently as their 7-1 defeat in Lethbridge tonight. The Rebels always bring exceptional work ethic in their home barn, so if the Broncos want two wins this weekend they'll have to be at their best.

The see-saw battle for home ice advantage continues with the Medicine Hat Tigers. Swift Current is up by one point again after tonight's win.

I fully intent to be in attendance for both games this weekend in Alberta. An early Friday departure will see me arrive in Edmonton in good time to make the game and then it's off to Red Deer for Saturday night's tilt. I know it'll be a fun trip...always is.

Meanwhile, I also intend to post brief recaps following both games...so feel free to check whlfans.ca this weekend.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!