PDA

View Full Version : Rockets KO Chiefs

Malc
03-05-2009, 02:38 PM
By DOYLE POTENTEAU

Who knew Jamie Benn could fight so well? Score goals, yes, but throw bombs with equal aplomb?

Benn scored twice for Kelowna, his team-leading 40th and 41st goals of the season, as the Rockets downed the Spokane Chiefs 4-1 in WHL action on Wednesday night. His most memorable game moment, though, came when he worked Chiefs forward Drayson Bowman in a centre-ice tilt midway through the second period.

Up 3-0 at that point, Benn's fight with Spokane's points leader underscored what was a good performance by the home team.

"I just thought it'd be a good time to fight one of their better players," said Benn, who earned first-star honours and now has 74 points in 50 games. "My fighting . . I don't work on it too often. I guess fighting my brother all those years helped out."

Asked if his fight was a statement to Spokane – the defending Memorial Cup champions and a team Kelowna is trying to overtake in Western Conference standings – Benn said yes.

"We had a pretty good effort tonight," said Benn, a 6-foot-2 winger and Dallas Stars draft pick who's likely playing his last season of junior hockey.

"We wanted to show them that we're the real deal and we can beat them any day."

Colin Long, with his 31st goal of the season, and Mikael Backlund, with his ninth, also scored for Kelowna (41-21-1-3).

The Rockets led 2-0 and 3-1 at the period breaks. Kelowna's top line of Benn, Long and Backlund accounted for nine points, with Long recording a four-point night, including three assists. Benn's second marker was a short-handed effort that closed out the scoring early in the third.

Kelowna product Brady Calla, with his 14th goal, replied for Spokane (42-21-0-3), which was playing its second game in as many nights. On Tuesday, the Chiefs travelled to Seattle, posted a 4-2 win, then immediately left for the Okanagan. The team didn't arrive in Kelowna until approximately 4 a.m.

With the loss, the Chiefs are now 0-3 in their four-game season series against the Rockets. The final meeting goes March 15, the final day of regular-season play.

Mark Guggenberger made 30 saves for the Rockets, who visit the Chilliwack Bruins on Friday night, then host the Vancouver Giants on Saturday evening. Dustin Tokarski made 25 saves for the Chiefs.

For Spokane, the game was decided in the first period. Sporting bus legs, the Chiefs were dominated for the first 15 minutes before gathering themselves. Spokane played well in the final two periods, but, by then, the Chiefs couldn't catch the Rockets.

"We had a bad start, no doubt, but we had our chances," said Chiefs head coach Hardy Sauter. "We hit the post twice and (Guggenberger) made a couple of real nice saves.

"On our five-on-three, I thought we had some good looks, too. It wasn't for lack of chances... we just couldn't finish off any plays tonight."

ICE CHIPS: Kelowna's scratches were RW Kyle St. Denis (concussion, day to day) and D Aaron Borejko. Spokane's scratches were RW Ryan Letts (suspension), D Jared Cowen (knee, out for season), D Corey Baldwin (hand, indefinite), D Trevor Glass (upper body, indefinite) and D Stefan Ulmer (concussion, indefinite). Both teams were 1-for-7 on the power play.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/stories_local_sports.php?id=169243

old_time_hockey
03-06-2009, 12:19 AM
WTG to the Rockets.

Winning against the team that you are chasing for position in the standings is always a good thing. Nothing like a rallying point to build on going into the playoffs.

Pete76
03-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I hope they do pass us in the standings ...

amsfan05
03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
you'd rather meet vancouver in round 2 than tri-city???? or are you hoping for a different 1st rd opponent?

apsco17
03-06-2009, 06:30 PM
By DOYLE POTENTEAU

Who knew Jamie Benn could fight so well?

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/stories_local_sports.php?id=169243

It may be a surprise to Potenteau.... I guess he missed the games earlier in the season when Benn fought (and won). When Benn and Bowman dropped the gloves and before they traded blows, Regan Bartell (AM 1150 play-by-play), predicted that it was a mistake for Bowman to dance with Benn.