PDA

View Full Version : CANES can still finish in 5th place

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-11-2009, 01:11 PM
From Pat Siedlecki's blog:
"Lethbridge still has a shot at 5th place, but a few things would have to work out in order for that to happen. Here's one scenario. First, the Hurricanes need to win their final 3 games in regulation. If that happens and Edmonton beats Kootenay on Wednesday in regulation and Medicine Hat splits it's final two games with Red Deer and Calgary at least also in regulation, Lethbridge would get 5th spot. Even though the Tigers and Canes' at that point would be tied in points, the Hurricanes would have more wins, giving them the higher playoff berth. The key here for the Lethbridge is to win it's remaining games and in regulation time. Got it? Good! "

Now my take on this:
Well the Hat beat Red Deer last night so the Hat has to lose in regular time to Calgary at home Saturday.
By my calculations, Pat may be incorrect here as the Ice can beat Edmonton tonight (Wed) and if we win both games against the Ice (at least one in regular time) and beat Calgary we could get 5th.
If the above scenarios were to occur we would be tied with both at 79 points but beat both the Hat and the Ice in the tiebreaker with 37 wins. So I think it comes down to this. The Hat loses in regular time and the Canes win all 3 (with only 1 or less of the Canes/Ice games going to O/T) we get 5th.

On another note, if we beat the Ice twice and the Hat loses, Sunday's game against the Hitmen could be a doozy. We could be playing that game to finish anywhere from 5th to 7th place and the Hitties could be fighting for first overall in the league. Let's hope the Sunday game is still meaningful for both as that would possibly make for a classic game. Or as a Canes fan we might be better off if Calgary has nothing to play for that night and we do. That would make it easier for the Canes to win that last game if the Hitmen are playing out the string.

Bocephus
03-12-2009, 12:58 PM
The Y's Men are down 2-0 in their series with the third game of five tonight at Henderson, 6:45.
If they loose the Canes could have Reners for the remainder of the season perhaps?

canes77
03-13-2009, 12:54 AM
The Y's Men are down 2-0 in their series with the third game of five tonight at Henderson, 6:45.
If they loose the Canes could have Reners for the remainder of the season perhaps?

The Y's Men won tonite, did you go to the game? I caught the highlights on Global.
Reners had a sweet move to lead to that key goal eh?! Tot (another Canes 1st rounder) produced as well with 2 goals tonite!

Im still trying to think positive :D

sbtatter
03-13-2009, 07:12 AM
The Y's Men won tonite, did you go to the game? I caught the highlights on Global.
Reners had a sweet move to lead to that key goal eh?! Tot (another Canes 1st rounder) produced as well with 2 goals tonite!

Who are your top 5 prospects would you guess?
I'd say ours are Depape (MJHL), Erdhardt (Ab AAA?), Synyatinski (Ab AAA), Wilson (Ab AAA) and King (Mb AAA)

Bocephus
03-13-2009, 08:36 AM

I had plans to be there but something came up and I had to change plans. Thrilled to hear they won. They're a fun team to watch. There are plenty on that team that should be in the Dub next season IMO. Hopefully those kids can pull the series out. I'd like to watch more of them. Care to give a quick recap canes77? For my benefit.

canes77
03-14-2009, 12:22 AM
I just saw the highlights on TV so I doubt if I can give you much of a recap...the Leth Herald had a summary today with a lot of info!

Hopefully they can keep things alive and force a game 5 next week, I'd def go watch.

canes77
03-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Who are your top 5 prospects would you guess?
I'd say ours are Depape (MJHL), Erdhardt (Ab AAA?), Synyatinski (Ab AAA), Wilson (Ab AAA) and King (Mb AAA)

I havnt seen them much but my 5 are...Reners (Ab AAA), Tot (Ab AAA), Brossiot (California midget?), Anderson (BC Jr B), and Moser (Ab AAA)

I think all (except Tot who's 15) are 16 yr olds, Im sure theres more 15 yr olds that will be good, just I havnt seen them yet...Tot was the only underage to stick around for the whole exhibition season.

sbtatter
03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Come on Canes, win tonight and we get to repeat last years 1st round series, us against you will be perfect, we want to avenge last years 4v2 loss, you guys want to prove the regular season counts for nothing, it'll be a great series, the best one in the first round!!

localguy
03-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Come on Canes, win tonight and we get to repeat last years 1st round series, us against you will be perfect, we want to avenge last years 4v2 loss, you guys want to prove the regular season counts for nothing, it'll be a great series, the best one in the first round!!

Careful what you wish for lol, I am actually hoping for this series too, it would be a good one.

Side Note: Did anyone at the game last night notice the final shots? They were 30-30, very fitting on #30 Michael Maniago tribute night. RIP Manny.

sbtatter
03-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Careful what you wish for lol, I am actually hoping for this series too, it would be a good one.

Side Note: Did anyone at the game last night notice the final shots? They were 30-30, very fitting on #30 Michael Maniago tribute night. RIP Manny.
It would be a close series, no doubt, that's why it would be so good! Home ice advantage will be nice to have for us, being a homer fan, I'll say we'd win in game 7!!! I'll enjoy coming to Lethbridge again for games, your fans last year were really decent to us, long drive there though!!!!

O&C
03-14-2009, 11:42 AM

Agreed that it would be a great series! That being said, I think the idea here is to still get 5th. I know its a stretch but they can still do it by winning tonight and then playing spoiler against the hitties.

It would be GREAT to see the Canes win all three games this weekend! They have brought their game to a whole new level with last nights win. Apparently Kyle Beach was quoted on the post game show as saying something along the lines of, "Its almost playoffs now and we are going to start blocking shots.". I didnt hear that first hand but if it is true I am very excited about what this team can still do! I know this has been an immensely frustrating this season, but we still have to support this team. I personally dont think that the kids should suffer bad crowds just because we are frustrated by management. And Bocephus...Come on buddy!!! It wont be the same without you! Get your @SS back on the wagon and erase all those crazy team switching idea's from your head. vc1tt I've been MIA from the site for a while too but Ive had a change of heart.

And yes. For the record I would love to see the Canes play the "most talented team in the league". To bad Brandon is such a looooong drive from civilization...

sbtatter
03-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Agreed that it would be a great series! That being said, I think the idea here is to still get 5th. I know its a stretch but they can still do it by winning tonight and then playing spoiler against the hitties.

And yes. For the record I would love to see the Canes play the "most talented team in the league". To bad Brandon is such a looooong drive from civilization...
I didn't know you could still get 5th, how does that happen?
We're not the most talented team in the league. But we've got Glennie back, and hopefully Aulie will be back soon, and a desire for revenge! The drive to Lethbridge is brutal, we go by 4 other dub teams to get there.
One other thing, I've been down on Beach for being a suck, but I see on the box score he fought Bartaux last night, how did that start and end?

O&C
03-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Potentially the Canes can still get 5th but its a long shot. lol, try stay with me here. If the Canes win tonight they are a lock in for at least 6th since this is Kooteny's last game of the year. BUT if the Canes win again on Sunday against Calgary, AND if the Tigers lose their remaining game it will leave the Canes tied with the Tigers. The Canes have the tie breaker over the Tigers and would then finish 5th. So they need to get some help... but would still need to win their final two games as well.

And there is no doubt that Brandon is talented! But they are just one of 4-5 very talented teams just in the eastern conference. There are definantly going to be a number of upsets in the first round. Im amazed you made the hike out to Lethbridge last year! Well done! I guess all we can do is sit and wait.

As of late the Canes seem to be hitting their stride and who knows... maybe... just maybe they can make something of this season yet :D

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-14-2009, 12:50 PM
We're not the most talented team in the league. But we've got Glennie back, and hopefully Aulie will be back soon, and a desire for revenge! The drive to Lethbridge is brutal, we go by 4 other dub teams to get there.
One other thing, I've been down on Beach for being a suck, but I see on the box score he fought Bartaux last night, how did that start and end?

It's simple. If we win out and Calg beats the Hat in regulation tonight we get 5th. We would leap frog the Ice and tie the Hat with 79 points but we would get fifth with 37 victories to the Hat's 36.
The tough part will be if Van beats PG and the Hat happens to beat Calg tonight in regulation time, then in tomorrows game with the Canes the Hitmen will need at least 1 point to claim first overall and we won't be able to get 5th becasue the hat got points. If Calg gets at least 1 point in the Hat tonight then they are have first overall locked up and Sundays game will be meaningless for the Hitmen. If the Hitties have first locked up that will give the Canes a much better chance to win that game. Conversely if Calg needs a point Sunday they will come out absolutely flying.

canes77
03-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Just after the goalie covered up a shot, Beach was 2 feet away from their goalie and Bartaux just skated in between, (maybe said something? maybe not) and Beach grabbed ahold of him and then both started pushing and shoving...not really a fight, maybe one punch for each guy, both had their helmets on the whole time and held each other's jerseys for 2 minutes, although Bartaux did get a couple shots in on Beach ribs if we want to count those.

The fight Bancks got in was much more entertaining! Probably a dozen punches by each guy!!

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-15-2009, 11:29 AM

How about the drive to Cranbrook. I think Florida is probably closer for you.

caniac # 2
03-15-2009, 11:55 AM

Does anyone know what the final score in calgary with the y's mens yesterday ( sat ) just curious as it wasn't in the paper this am ?

sbtatter
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
How about the drive to Cranbrook. I think Florida is probably closer for you.
You're correct!! There will be no drive to Cranbook for me....

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know what the final score in calgary with the y's mens yesterday ( sat ) just curious as it wasn't in the paper this am ?

FROM THE S.E. CALGARY NEWS:
Game four of the Chrysler Division series against the Lethbridge Y’s Men Titans was an ugly affair, but if you’re Buffalo head coach James Poole you take the win any way you can get it.

The match was penalty-filled and featured a frustrated Titans team that competely lost its composure at several points in the game. On one occasion five Lethbridge players filled the penalty box.

The Buffaloes took advantage of their numerous power plays. Ryon Moser scored four goals and added an assist for a five point night. His linemates chalked up the points as well, with captain Chris Collins collecting two assists and Greg Lamoureux notching one helper.

At least Canes prospect Ryan Moser with 5 points (4G 1A) and Phil Tot (1G 2A) played well.

caniac # 2
03-15-2009, 12:58 PM
thanks HR

canes77
03-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Wow, the Y's Men lose 12-3, who would have expected that?!

At least Tot and Moser produced...and the Canes might get Reners for the 1st round! Will he play or be a healthy 13th forward? IMO I'd rather see him play RW with Fyten and Sutter (rather than Henke)...and play on the 2nd PP unit.

The Canes have played the Blades well this year...should be a great series!

GO CANES