PDA

View Full Version : Since the pats are done...

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-11-2009, 09:55 PM
that means we can now think about next year's team. What offseason moves should happen, who should stay/go, and overall changes.

I will put together a summary in a bit.

Allin44
03-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Eberle for Stone? pls?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-11-2009, 10:28 PM
First off, somebody has to answer for this season's conclusion. And as everyone knows, **** rolls down hill. Let me go on record to say that if there are no changes to the staff, that I will NOT re-up my season tickets. I dont want to watch a team that doesnt have WINNING as their primary interest.

As much as Derkatch and Perkins have tried, and though its not completely their fault, they have to answer for this. Next year should have a new coaching staff. I dont think that Parker (the "GM") is the problem though. I cant speak for Parker "the alledged meddling wannabe owner", but as a GM he has done what he can for making moves for the most part. That being said, this team hasnt done anything notable in years under his management, so at the very least he needs to re-evaluate his future with the franchise since we all know Calgary's Russ Parker isnt going to fire sonny boy.

The staff is only half the salty cracker though. The players on this team are the ones who ultimately decide the outcomes of games, and the result goes without saying. Once again, Im not inside man, so I dont know where to point fingers, but if there are ANY players that arent on board with the team concept then we can find them somewhere else to play. I want this to be a team, not a group of individuals like this year.

Lets look at what is positive though. Even though we lost a couple picks instead of investing into the future during the trade deadline, we still have some promising youth on our list. Tendler the 'tender will definitely be on the team next year, and Myles Bell will show us what he can do on the blueline as well after a decent 8 games as a underage player. Also, many other prospects as well that have a chance of cracking the roster.

- Dyson Stevenson (5th round pick last year) had a good season in midget, and was over a PPG in his 5 playoff games with the AAA warriors. Andrew Reider also had a good year.

- Derek Tendler is supposed to be a shoein for #2 goalie, but list player Dawson Guhle was the top goalie in the Alberta midget league this year, and could make things interesting in camp. Always good to have depth in net, as we always seem to.

- List player Drew George was top 5 in scoring in Sask AAA this year. Could become a surprise if he doesnt wait for "college" like that last guy Braaten did (though I think he can still technically come back if he wanted to...unlilkely though...)

- Few other prospects too, but Im not that well connected with their 'doings'. I think (list player) D Shamus graham had a near PPG season in the AMHL this year. Feel free to add to this.

Anything short of a Weal type player probably wont be a starter this year but still quite a bit of talent waiting in the wings.

(I will post about the veterans in another post)

Eberle for Stone? pls?
pfft...

though I could see these two talking next year if the pats still suck. Eberle would likely be up for talks but you would have to offer more than stone.

CJSenterprise4
03-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Eberle for Stone? pls?

I actually think the Wheat Kings might get Eberle and or Teubert. They are hosting the Memorial Cup so i expect them to do something big.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-11-2009, 11:56 PM
We all see things a certain way, but one thing we can agree on is that the team we got right now for the next 2 game should definitely be different from the team we get to see in the next 72 games.

I dont want to see just the necessary moves being made, but trades have to be made too. Bartley was our top guy this year, and he will be missed. He played well here and it will be tough for anyone on the team right now to fill his role. We wont have Dudas back, obviously, and I doubt Delahey is going to come back. Hes probably 50/50 but its much safer to operate under the assumption that he will not be. All we have as returning top 4 guys is Teubert. Pym will step up to play in a top 4 role next season, and he played well with the time given to him after Dudas was released. After that its a little hazy though...

I want to see at least one trade to bring in a veteran defenceman. A guy who can run the powerplay. A skill guy. Teuberts got decent awareness and a good shot, but isnt a pure offensive guy, and we all know what happens when he tries to do too much. Let say we get one guy here "x" price, assuming that doesnt involve a defenceman from our lineup going back.

Here is what we got for a top 4.

20 from trade - Pym
Teubert - xxxx

The xxxx could represent any one of Perreault, Scarborough or even Miller or Slobozian. Scarborough didnt get to play much this season, and I could picture him getting sent down to Jr A or something if he doesnt get that position.

I think they are going to let at least one rookie crack the squad. I think they will give Bell a good chance to make the team, but guys like Borstmayer, Pavcovich and list players will have to exceed expectations to be considered. Delahey returning would be a big boost, but I dont think he will since he has a pretty well rounded game, which is usually what scouts look for in these guys. And Im assuming that Teubert is returning as well. Lets hope LA doesnt get retarded and keep him.

Forwards could be tricky. Weal will return as our top center and I expect an even more offensive season out of him for his draft year. Eberle could return, but he could also not. Wouldnt rely on it. Leaving for sure is Robertson, and I dont see Leffler coming back after playing like he has. Cerveny is probably going back to Europe, and the guys competing for 20 year old spots (strueby, czibere, and maybe Cerveny) will likely be decided by who comes back from pro camps. Guys with increased roles will be Mitchell, Hricina, Hood and maybe Prokop. Like I said, it will depend on who returns. Mitchell should have a breakout season come up, as should Hood who looked very good this season. Hricina could put up some good points if he gets some good linemates, good hockey sense and great in the corners. Prokop is a mystery to me. He reminds me of Depape, except not a slow and not quite as useless. Could do well if he shot the puck more. His future with the team is a mystery to me. A guy who is going to HAVE to step up is Strueby. He looked very good at the start of the season, but ended up getting more goals in the first 20 games than the last 50 games. The team is going to need him to produce, or he will be moved for someone else to.

Heres what remains of our top 6 after this season:

Hood/Hricina/Strueby - Weal - Eberle (I feel that he comes back)
Hood/Hricina/Strueby - Czibere? - Mitchell

Probably 2 or 3 rookies crack this team too, which means that 1 or 2 guys might be on their way out. 18 year olds like Breitkreuz and George should be in contention for a spot too, and I can bet that we take on at least one 16 year old. The inbetween guys are the ones that suffer for that, but its a business.

And finally, goaltending. Going to be blunt. Rowat isnt cutting it. Sure he is one of the best goalies in the league but once again tonight he didnt rise to the occasion under pressure. Ketlo can give it a go, even if he is just keeping the spot warm for Tendler. Rowat would bring back an allright package, maybe apart of a trade bringing in some help for defence or on forward. Need to address the quality of players over the quantity of players this time around.

patsdude114
03-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Well after taking some glances at the Washington Capitals propect list & seeing three 20yr olds (who all played junior hockey this season) odds could be in favour that Leffler comes back... He is a quality hockey player but with the young moment the Caps have already went thru i dont see the Caps being in a big rush to get a 5th round pick in Leffler playing pro hockey. He doesnt have a contract yet either, which im sure will change very soon. Personally I think Leffler is capable playing pro hockey but is a 3rd line role really worth it for a 20 yr old kid?

I personally think its about time the Pats get a 20 yr old returned to there line-up, instead of always loosing them to pro hockey. We are finally in a position to have 2 legit top 20 yr olds return to our team in Leffler & Delahey. New Jersey already had Delahey play in a exhibition game with Lowel Devils this season.

Come Sunday we will have 4 (maybe 5) players heading to the AHL to finish up there seasons. Eberle (Springfield possibly EDM for a game or 2) Teubert (Manchester) Delahey (Lowel) Leffler (Hershey) & possibly Rowat (Manchester or to ECHL).

Now back to this thread for next years roster......
20 yr olds
Strueby will be back
Leffler chance to go to AHL
Delahey chance to go to AHL
Cerveny wont be back
Czibere will be back depending on Leffler/Delahey
Rowat chance to go to AHL/ECHL but wont be in pats jersey

19 yr olds
Eberle EDM made it clear that they want him to play another year JR
Teubert should be back, but we are talking about LA they sent Hickey back to JR and Teubert is no where near Hickey
Scarborough should be #3/4 on D
Hrcina expect him back unless he stays in SLO to play
Prokop should be 3rd line C but could challenge for 2nd line C
Hanson is he even still on our list??? wont be back

18 yr olds
Pym should play a much bigger role, we will see if he is ready
Perrault with his size & reach should be 5th guy on D
Miller no comment, as u all know i dislike this guy lol
Mitchell could be anywhere from 1st to 3rd line RW depending on Eberle & Leffler status
Mulder could challenge for 3rd line C
Ketlo will start year off as #1 G but could see him loosing it to Tendler
Breitkreuz should crack roster again, but prob a 4th line role

17 yr olds
Weal #1 without a question should put up better #s then he did this year
Hood prob be 3rd line winger with PP time due to his size
Favreau prob 4th line C again with PK responsiblities
Slobozian 6th Dman on depth chart i would expect maybe some PP time
Tendler will be back-up to Ketlo should steal job like Harding did by Xmas

16 yr olds
Bell is a lock on this team for next year, will play top 4 minutes, Pats very high on this kid like they were with Pyett

Im not too familiar with list players but i would also say Andrew Rieder has a chance to crack our roster as well... baring any off season trades which i expect to be a minimum of 2 deals.

Also look at the bright side of missing the playoffs we get a top 5 pick in the Bantam draft so Ripplinger better do his home work. Also it wouldnt surprise me at all with the empty euro spot we draft a euro Dman. We need help with offence from the back end a PP QB type player.

On a side note that Braaten who refused to join the Pats without a forsure roster spot was in the top 5 in rookie scoring in the SJHL with 21 goals 39 pts & a +16 rating on the Humbolt Broncos

trucker
03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
You guys ready to finish the year off against the Broncos, or is it basically...who cares?

wango tango
03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
there are many things to look forward to for pats fans next season.

eberle. the kids got talent. and is a treat to watch even if you are a fan of the opposition.

teubert. after reflecting on the season that was, he will be back for redemption next season.

for those who think the pats will be dealing these two kids, think again. in order for regina to be a competitive team next season they will need both players in their lineup.

delahey will be in the ahl next year, so will leffler. and they'll leave some holes to fill.

there are things to fix. depth at forward. improving the compete level and work ethic. get the room straight, a lack of accountability and selfishness gotta go. if the players don't respect the coach, he then either has to earn it, or he has to go.

the pats scouting of minor hockey is excellent, they consistently find quality players, however based on the returns from trades made i wonder if their scouting of fellow whl teams should be improved.

i would expect the pats to rebound nicely next season. weal will be better with a full season now under his belt. the young d will benefit from their experiences. i suspect it'll be ketlo and tendler in net next season.

if one of or both of eberle and teubert are not back in the queen city next season, if selfishness and accountability are not addressed. if a better work ethic and compete level are not developed it'll be an even longer season next year.

witness
03-12-2009, 01:42 PM
The pro teams are not returning the 20 year olds to the Pats because of the Pats inability to develop the players. You can now add LA to the list of Pro teams that think that Regina is not the place for their prospects. Look at the year's development of the two LA prospects.
You expect Tuebert back? LA just might request for him to be traded to an organization with a better track record. Just speculation.
A couple of prospects to keep an eye out for next year:
Forward:
Lucas Froese from Notre Dame. Has had a good year
Dyson Stevenson - I watched the kid play one game this year. I like what he brings to the rink. Gritty and irritating as hell.

Defense:
Myles Bell - will be on the team
Brandon Davidson - Plays in Lethbridge. 17 year old with good size and skill.
Tyler Borstmayer - I don't know if he will be ready. It usually takes these bigger guys an extra year to mature into their bodies. I would just like to see were he is with his development.

Goal:
Cory Nygaard (15) and Dawson Guhle (16) will make things interesting for both Ketlo (17) and Tendler (16).

patsdude114
03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
You can now add LA to the list of Pro teams that think that Regina is not the place for their prospects. Look at the year's development of the two LA prospects.
You expect Tuebert back? LA just might request for him to be traded to an organization with a better track record. Just speculation.

I completely agree with you there that Pro teams dont really want there players in Regina to develop. We lack coaching always have. Yes we had Hunt but i didnt think he was a great coach anyways. Only reason he got a job in the NHL (now AHL) is cause of his buddy Hartsburgh. He would of been back behind the Pats bench this season if wasnt for Hartsburgh. This organization needs a over haul.

Cant wait til Sillinger & Hewards pro career's are finally done. These 2 players WILL be buying this club. The Parkers want out from this franchise cause they think Ipsco Place (Evaz Place however you spell it) are treating them unfair. All the rumours of the Pats moving is trying to put the cards in the Parkers hands with lease contracts. Once these 2 ex Pats buy this club there will be a mazzive over haul, not sure if 1 of these guys will be coach but they will definately hire the proper guy wouldnt surprise me if it is a ex NHLer as well.

Goal:
Cory Nygaard (15) and Dawson Guhle (16) will make things interesting for both Ketlo (17) and Tendler (16).

I wouldnt bet on this though. Tendler is the Pats future in net, Ketlo is just here for the time being. Ketlo will start the season as starter, but Tendler will do exactly what Harding did at age 17, and thats strip the starters role by xmas. Wont surprise me when they trade Guhle rights for a 3rd or 4th round pick or possibly a capable Dman.