PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 4 @ Pats 2

Big Ern
03-15-2009, 09:57 AM
And so ends the 2008-09 Swift Current Broncos season....

The Broncos closed off their regular season schedule with a solid 4-2 victory over the hometown Regina Pats Saturday night.

-the game was rather boring. Both teams just sort of went through the paces. One can accept the fact that it's tough to get motivated for the second meaningless game standings wise in as many nights.

-for the Broncos it was actually a smalll victory within itself. They beat last year's 41-win total with one extra win this year, and finished with a final record of 42-28-1-1.

-scoring for Swift Current were Justin Dowling, Cody Eakin, Mike Brown, and Michael Stickland. Dowling opened the scoring in the first when he and Keegan Dansereau rushed in on a partial 2 on 1. Justin elected to shoot and beat a confused Linden Rowatt. Cody Eakin scored what ended up being the game-changer in my opinion. The goal tied the game 2-2 and was scored in the last minute of the second period. Whatever the Pats did have going was quickly stuffed out with that tally. Mike Brown added a goal early in the third, while Michael Stickland rounded out the scoring when he shot home a loose puck in the crease at 10:18.

-the Broncos' powerplay could have been more effective. They moved the puck around well, but were not able to capitalize on eight chances.

-Jordan Weal and Matt Strueby had the goals for Regina.

-the Pats took until about the mid-point of the third period to hit double digits in shots. Their total ended up at 12. That stat I thought was very indicative of how some of their forwards played. Jordan Eberle and Jordan Weal, who swept most of the season's awards handed out before the game, played pretty well. The Pats had trouble getting the puck to the net.

-the Broncos' defense certainly deserves some credit as well. Led by Spencer McAvoy, John Negrin and Eric Doyle, all at +2 on the night, the back end kept Regina at bay. Andrew Hewett and Jordan Evans both got lots of ice time and were stellar. Captain Derek Claffey was a scratch, as was goaltender Travis Yonkman. The Broncos went with backup G Morgan Clark for two periods but threw Alexandre Sirard between their pipes in the third period to give the kid some playing time. He didn't see much rubber...only four shots from the Pats.

-the Broncos finished the season by winning eight of the last nine contests.

Swift Current will face the Medicine Hat Tigers in round one of the WHL playoffs. It WILL be an exciting series....

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

EXTRAS:

-the Rep and I made the trip to Regina last night. The Rep had other issues to deal with here in the Queen City and stayed overnight so I had no choice but to follow suite. It has been a great stay at Regina's Travelodge on Albert Street. I'm blogging from my room on the fourth floor, overlooking the gigantic swimming pool and water slide below.

-Pats' head coach Dale Derkatch was not at loss for words in his final post-game interview of the season. He labelled the '08-09 campaign as "something he never wants to go through again." Welcome to the pressure of major junior hockey versus AAA midget Mr. Derkatch? It'll be interesting to see how the Pats go about their off-season. Will they tear up the sports section, or will they..shall we say...stand PAT?

-D Victor Bartley will head to Providence today to join the Boston Bruins' AHL affiliate, while F Jordan Eberle is off to Springfield to join Edmonton's AHL affiliate, the Falcons.

-the Broncos are set to hold their awards banquet tomorrow night. Apparently I will miss the event this year due to work. It's always a fun function to be at....

-my matchup predictions last night were WRONG! Smackitsakic was right...the Lethbridge Hurricanes did not overtake the Kootenay Ice in the standings, and the 'Canes will face Saskatoon, while the Ice will face the Brandon Wheat Kings in round one. The Prince Albert Raiders are praying that the Red Deer Rebels beat Edmonton in regulation later today....if that did happen it would trigger a one-game playoff between PA and Edmonton for that final playoff spot. Let's see what happens......

-check out this Gobe and Mail article submitted to me by a friend this morning...it involves Tigers' HC/GM Will Desjardins....rather comical:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090313.wspt-juniorhockey-13/EmailBNStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

Enjoy your Sunday.

sbtatter
03-15-2009, 10:07 AM
One small correction, we play the Ice and the Blades get the Canes..

Big Ern
03-15-2009, 10:09 AM
One small correction, we play the Ice and the Blades get the Canes..

I stand corrected.....

sbtatter
03-15-2009, 10:11 AM
I stand corrected.....Hey, even you get to make 1 mistake a season!!

Toswammi
03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Should be interesting what kind of fan support the Tigers get in our barn. I am sure we all remember the last two times these teams played and how the crowd was at least a 1/4 orange (or so it seemed). Phones will be ringing from both cities on Monday i am sure.

trucker
03-15-2009, 09:41 PM
I think this series is gonna be fuuuuuuuun!! I do favour the Broncos and say that confidently. More depth as a team and with the recent play of Yonkman it should be a horsemen series win in six games or less. Can't wait to hear the I-plex roof blow off! punk rock GO BRONCOS GO vci22

stick boy
03-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah I sure hope that Broncos fans get their tickets early so that we can stick the Tigers fans in the bottom two rows like they always do to us!

Also heard a rumor that fan buses will be going to both games three and four, can anyone confirm?

As for the series, as long as we can keep Ennis from scoring five or six each night I like our chances, should be a good one! Need big things from the top two lines with Dalecky back in the line-up I hope.

Anyone know who plays on that top line with Ennis?

CrazyGeorge
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
When Dalecky returns to the lineup, will he be playing with Eakin/Wudrick or will Wagner? Personally I like Wagner on that line but Dalecky has been doing well there this season.

Stickland/Dowling/Dansereau ?
Wudrick/Eakin/Dalecky ?
Peddle/Vause/Wagner ?
Hoban/Darragh/Brown ?

It really juggles things up a bit without Tassone in the lineup. Brown has really impressed me lately but 4th liner doesn't justify that statement. I think the top line of Stickland/Dowling/Dansereau will be in tact but the wingers to complete the Wudrick/Eakin line and the Peddle/Vause line are not guaranteed (depending on the status of Dalecky). Personally I like one of Brown or Wagner to complete those lines to give elements of size/grit...the only issue that leaves is Dalecky being on the fourth line with Hoban and Darragh. Regardless, I trust Dean and his staff to put the best line combo's on the ice regardless. Good luck Broncos!!! Go Broncos Go!!