PDA

View Full Version : Game 73: Vs. Prince Albert

EOK1
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Well, for the fourth time in league history, a tie breaker game is going to be used to decide these two teams' fate. Right now I'm sitting in a hotel room in Prince Albert hoping that we can perform on a level far greater than what was displayed over the weekend.

I have my doubts, and after a tumoltuous time getting a ticket here in P.A, the feeling I get is that the Raiders may be wanting this just a little bit more than the Oil Kings.

Sadly, I would love to be a biased fan and say that the Oil Kings are headed to the post season, but reality strikes me and says that the Raiders win this game infront of a sold out rink, 4-1. Hopefully I'm wrong and that the trip back to Leduc is an enjoyable one.

Hitmen1
03-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Did Oil King fans get a bus and take a bunch of people or are you there on your own. I would love to face the Kings in round 1 but I have a feeling the Raiders will win.

EOK1
03-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Did Oil King fans get a bus and take a bunch of people or are you there on your own. I would love to face the Kings in round 1 but I have a feeling the Raiders will win.

I made the trip on my own with a friend. I wasn't aware of any bus departing from Edmonton, but missing school for a hockey game is too much fun to pass up.

EOK1
03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
http://www.oilkings.ca/hm/inside.php?id=469

KING SIZE NEWS: The Edmonton Oil Kings will play a rare-tie breaker game tonight against the Prince Albert Raiders for the right to advance to the 2008-09 playoffs, where the winner will face the Eastern Conference’s top team, the Calgary Hitmen. It’s only the fourth time in WHL history that a tie-breaker has been needed. The Oil Kings had an opportunity to advance to the post-season on Sunday, but they fell 2-1 to the visiting Red Deer Rebels. Co-captain Brenden Dowd scored his team leading 29th goal of the season to give the Oil Kings a 1-0 first period lead, but Rebels forward Carter Smith did all the damage in the third, scoring both Rebels goals, in what marked Smith’s final game of his WHL career.

ROSTER UPDATE: The Edmonton Oil Kings have 25 players on their active roster including two goalies, eight defencemen and 15 forwards. Edmonton has 12 players returning to the lineup that were here full time last year. There are 12 players starting their rookie seasons including players that played less than 20 games in the WHL in 2007 – 2008. There are also just 10 players on the roster that were here a year ago for the Oil Kings first game of their inaugural season. Geographical breakdown: 8 Alberta , 6 Saskatchewan, 6 British Columbia, 2 Manitoba, 2 Czech Republic.

VS PRINCE ALBERT: The Edmonton Oil Kings have yet to lose in regulation to the Prince Albert Raiders, posting a 3-0-0-1 record. Their only loss came via the shootout when they lost 5-4 on October 25th. The Oil Kings have won three straight against Prince Albert by scores of 4-2, 5-3, and 4-1 respectively. Brenden Dowd leads the charge offensively for the Oil Kings against the Raiders with five goals and seven points in the four-game regular season series. Craig McCallum has six points (two goals, four assists) and Brent Raedeke, Jeff Lee, Tomas Vincour, Brandon Lockerby, Mark Pysyk all have four points each. Torrie Jung has been in net for all four games this season. He has a 2.20 GAA and a .924SV%

DID YOU KNOW: The Edmonton Oil Kings finished their second season with seven more victories (29-34-4-5) than their inaugural 2007-2008 season, which they finished with a record was 22-39-4-7. The Edmonton Oil Kings have called up 15 year old Travis Ewanyk who just wrapped up his Midget AAA season with St. Albert. He played his first career WHL game February 28th in a 6-5 overtime loss to the Moose Jaw Warriors. Edmonton will co-host the World Junior Hockey Championship in 2012 with the Calgary Hitmen, Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers. Brenden Dowd is the captain for home games while Jeff Lee wears the ‘C’ for road games. The Oil Kings made the Memorial Cup Final in 1954, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966 and 1971 winning the coveted trophy in 1963 and 1966. It was recently announced that the 1963 team will be inducted into the Alberta Hockey Hall of Fame this summer. The Oil Kings have broken their franchise attendance record twice this season with 10,156 fans for Military Appreciation Night on January 17th in an 8 – 1 win over Chilliwack. Two weeks later they broke the record with 13,765 fans at Rexall Place for Minor Hockey night in a 1 – 0 win over the Regina Pats.

STREAKING: Brenden Dowd has 19 points in his last 20 games. Jeff Lee set the modern franchise record with a 10 game point streak earlier this season. He registered five goals and nine assists for 14 points in that span. Tomas Vincour has seven points in 10 games (four goals, three assists). He also has a +2 rating. Brett Breitkreuz has nine points (two goals, seven assists) in his last 10 games. Breitkreuz recently hit a couple of milestones, notching his 100th point with an assist March 8th against Lethbridge. He played in his 200th WHL game on Sunday against Red Deer. Torrie Jung has given up three goals or less in nine of his last 11 starts.

SCHEDULE: The Oil Kings closed out their regular season Sunday against Red Deer with a 2-1 loss. With the loss to the Rebels the Oil Kings finished the season with a 29-34-4-5 record and are deadlocked in a tie with the Prince Albert Raiders for the eighth and final playoff spot. A tie-breaker has been enforced for the fourth time in WHL history, and the first time in 19 years that a tie-breaker game has taken place. If the Oil Kings beat Prince Albert in the tie-breaker they will start their Eastern Conference Quarter-Final series against the Calgary Hitmen on Thursday March 19th.

OIL KINGS PROSPECT REPORT: After a blistering 56-goal, 103 point season that saw Oil Kings 2008 first round bantam pick Michael St. Croix win the Manitoba Midget AAA Midget scoring race, St. Croix is in the heat of the playoff race with his Winnipeg Wild team. They swept their semi-final series against the Brandon (Midget AAA) Wheat Kings and will play the Winnipeg Thrashers in the Provincial Finals. St. Croix is keeping up with his red-hot regular season with an equally strong playoffs. Through six games, the 15-year-old is leading the playoff scoring race with 18 points (six goals, 12 assists). Another highly touted Oil Kings prospect, Dylan Wruck ripped up the Saskatchewan Midget AAA scoring race with 31 goals and 94 points in just 44 games. The 16-year-old, is the captain of the Beardy’s Blackhawks. the same Midget team that veteran forward Craig McCallum played for. McCallum also won a Midget AAA scoring title in his final season of midget. Wruck was a factor in Beardy’s first round playoff series with the Moose Jaw (Midget AAA) Warriors. Wruck had three goals and six assists in their five-game series victory over Moose Jaw. He was the overtime hero in Game 2, giving Beardy’s a 5-4 victory. He has five goals and eight assists through in seven playoff games. Another Oil Kings prospect Braeden Laroque also plays for Beardy’s. Beardy’s holds a 2-0 series lead in their semi-final series against the Saskatoon Contacts. If they advance to the Provincial final, they will face the Notre Dame Hounds

Would be nice if we could have added Wruck or St. Croix just for this game tonight.

DunnerStunner
03-17-2009, 02:09 PM
beat the snot outta each other please

robthelogger
03-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Sadly, I would love to be a biased fan and say that the Oil Kings are headed to the post season, but reality strikes me and says that the Raiders win this game infront of a sold out rink, 4-1. Hopefully I'm wrong and that the trip back to Leduc is an enjoyable one.

I was at the last two games and they didnt play very well but where is the faith? Have some confidence man, the boys will pull thru!

Allin44
03-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Congrats!

Hitmen1
03-17-2009, 10:21 PM
It sure sounded like the Oil Kings were the better team in OT. Congrats on making the playoffs, prepare to be destroyed!

rebel
03-17-2009, 10:24 PM
congrats edm good game

EOK1
03-17-2009, 10:55 PM
We may not set the world on fire against Calgary, but we're headed to the post season and I was very proud of their play tonight, especially in overtime.

wheat_city
03-17-2009, 10:57 PM
congrats