PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Grades - The Defense and Goaltenders

SectionNDeserter
03-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Colin Archer - Grade: C+

Plus: He is the gritty, punishing hitter on the blueline that this team has been missing for a few seasons. He logged a lot of minutes and dropped the mitts in defense of his teammates a number of times. He threw a handful of nice open-ice hits this season.

Minus: I felt he was overplayed this season, and was showing signs of mental fatigue later in the season, especially after Christmas. He tried to do too much at times this season, and he doesn't have the skill to be everything to everyone.

Future: He should return to the team in his second season as Captain.

Luke Egener - Grade: C+

Plus: Chews up minutes of ice time like they are candy, and was probably the best conditioned player on the team this season. Stays with his man well, and had a real turnaround year of sorts this season.

Minus: For a player that generates almost no offense, he is very non-physical. He struggled to block passing lanes, particulary on the penalty kills this season.

Future: Look for him to be working for the Rebels in some capacity in the coming years (Graduates from the WHL)

Tommi Kivisto - Grade: B-

Plus: Another defenseman added to the lineup that is very mobile, and can move the puck well. Gets back into position from nearly unthinkable places. Has a hard shot from the point. Is the only Rebel defenseman that I can remember this season that one-timed a pass.

Minus: When a defenseman goes out of position, they should be doing so to generate offense. The amount of time that Kivisto spends out of position is disproportionate to the amount of offense he generates.

Future: Should be one of the top defenseman on the team next season

Joel Kot - Grade: C+

Plus: He has good lateral mobility, he moves the puck well both by skating with it and passing it. He is not afraid to throw a big hip-check. I liked what he did with limited power play time this season, and found myself wishing he was there more often than he was.

Minus: When he loses a battle on the boards, he REALLY loses it. Has a tendancy to play with one hand on his stick too much in his defensive zone.

Future: I think he could be a servicable member of this team next season, though I also would not be shocked if he is elsewhere.

Cullen "Defenseman of the Year" Morin - Grade: C-

Plus: He moves the puck well, both skating it and passing it. I consider him to be an above average passer. He makes the odd brilliant play on the power play. He was a huge factor in turning this team's transition game around.

Minus: The fact that he could win back-to-back defenseman of the year titles speaks volumes of the state of our scouting for defensemen. He is quite possibly the worst penalty killer I have ever seen in all of hockey anywhere, ever. He loses a LOT of battles for the puck on the boards. He loses a ton of speed when he turns to the outside, and gets beat there a great deal as a result. He plays opposition players very soft around his own net.

Future: I think that with the right experienced defensive partner, he could be an asset to the team next year. Just stop using him on the penalty kill already!

Alex Petrovic - Grade B+

Plus: He is the only player that I can safely say improved with every game that he played in this season. He has an enormous frame for a 16 year old that he positions extremely well. He makes an excellent first pass, and is very mobile for a big kid. He looks to me like a future NHL 1st rounder.

Minus: Probably got a bit too much ice time early in the year due to injuries, and probably could have done with more in the middle. Would like him to add a mean streak to his game.

Future: Top defensive paring next season

Justin Weller - Grade: c+

Plus: Looked big and sturdy in the 32 games that he did get to play, and is pretty mobile for a big kid.

Minus: Missed a lot of development time this season with some bad injuries. Seems to have difficulty reading what his defensive partner is doing at times.

Future: He brings probably the most physical maturity of any defenseman we have, but also brings to the table a lot of what we have already. I can see him being dealt for some scoring up front, or an older powerplay quarterback.

Goaltenders:

Cam Gorchynski - Grade: D-

Plus: He is pretty tall for a 16 year old... Umm... He looks like a goalie in those pads, and that mask...

Minus: Slow to react to shots, doesn't know where they are after they miss the net. Wasn't even remotely ready for the WHL this season.

Darcy Kuemper - Grade: A

Plus: When the season started, I thought that he looked pretty good, though weak at moving from one side of the net quickly to the other. After only a few games, I thought that part of his game was much better. He is a huge goaltender, that fills a lot of the net. His demeanor and reaction to goals scored against him reminds me a great deal of Cam Ward.

Minus: He probably got a few too many starts for a rookie goaltender. The team needs to find him some help for next season, and Gorchynski probably isn't the answer.

Red celtic
04-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Overall I thought your grades were fairly accurate except for Alex Petrovic. His grade should be an A. This young man performed well above expectations (which were high) by the end of the year he was on the first pairing in both the power play and the penalty kill and was doing a good job. This young man will be right up there with Pysk as one the top defencemen in the Dub. Already he has been tagged as a first rounder in the 2010 NHL draft.

SectionNDeserter
04-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I almost gave him an A, but I figure he still needs a lot more work on the offensive part of his game (I don't think I even remember him even putting a shot on goal until the last 10 games or so of the season). I think he is comfortable with the defensive part of his game now, and we will see some offensive upside to him next season.

tiny
04-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Before we start trading d-men for forwards, I would have to know we have some new men to fill the holes. As I see it right now we have:

Morin (20) Petrovic (17)
Archer (19) Weller (18)
Kivisto (18) Kot (19)
Deagle (17)

Woodyatt (17)??

as possibilities. Others might include Krabben (18), Lashyn (17), Pufhal (16), Brecianni (16), and Robac (16) but it would be a big surprise for me if these were ready next year. How many do you think we will carry next year?? If there was a trade from the D that played last year, I would let Kot (19) go before Weller (18) because we need the grit and power he can provide. I am looking for a big year from Kivisto and Petrovic next year.

SectionNDeserter
04-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I think that you (and the management of the team) should also be looking at defensemen that are not currently on the protected list, and who may be currently be on the roster of another team. A defenseman that maybe isn't getting the ice time that he needs to develop, or perhaps an overage defenseman that is a victim of the numbers game.