PDA

View Full Version : Sportsnet picks Canes as darkhorses to come out of WHL

moosedawg
03-18-2009, 08:32 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/2009/03/16/chl_playoff_preview_darkhorses/

They'll need Metsola back for this to happen but have the offense to do it if that happens. The parts that need to help the offense are defence and heart/determination for full 60 mins.

armypower
03-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Lethbridge and Kelowna could be the surprise teams of the playoffs,should be fun to watch...

localguy
03-18-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't know about Lethbridge, we have been looking for them to achieve their potential consistantly all year(would love to see them do it now). As far as Kelowna, they have been on a tear to end the season beating both Calgary and Vancouver, so it would not surpruse me to see them in the final.

Bocephus
03-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't know what it is with most everyone and their loveaffair with the Hurricanes roster. They have proven repeatedly all year that they are pretenders. They were beaten 32 times, 32 TIMES! If it wasn't for the shootout they would be a below .500 team. They beat Saskatoon at the end of the season and WHL fans seem to think that's the 'true' Hurricanes. The real truth is the the Hurricanes are going nowhere.

They remind me of the fat bride who puts off losing weight until two weeks before the wedding and then tries starving herself with no success.

They can't and won't turn it on in the playoffs. Successful teams result from practicing good habits all season long so that those winning habits become part of their nature. The only thing that is part of the Hurricanes nature is to not give a full effort. They have perfected that aspect of their game all season long.
Go Blades!

hitmanfan
03-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Is Lethbridge to be considered a dark horse at all? They were picked to be good all year and have under achieved. I consider a dark horse like the Flames in 2004.

Toe Drag
03-19-2009, 12:07 AM
This team lived in the past all year, from it's incredible run last spring. Trading Adam Chorneyko, and losing Mike Wuchterl no doubt hurt this team. But the real issues of this team were from the brass. There are so many players on this team that don't want to be in Lethbridge. That lies on the shoulders of management. They are extremely abusive and invasive. Players do not respond under those conditions. I don't blame the players, they are burnt from the inconsistancies of poor management. The mind games are pale in comparison to some of the crap these players have had to deal with all year.
Roy, your not a coach. You never were!!! Stay out of the dressing room and leave the players alone. If Roy tells you he would look after your son, like he would his own. That does not say much about his parenting skills. Step down Roy, and leave the players alone. The players don't respect you, because you don't respect them. Mat Kabayama the guys love you. Enough said!!

loudi94
03-19-2009, 06:49 AM
This team lived in the past all year, from it's incredible run last spring. Trading Adam Chorneyko, and losing Mike Wuchterl no doubt hurt this team. But the real issues of this team were from the brass. There are so many players on this team that don't want to be in Lethbridge. That lies on the shoulders of management. They are extremely abusive and invasive. Players do not respond under those conditions. I don't blame the players, they are burnt from the inconsistancies of poor management. The mind games are pale in comparison to some of the crap these players have had to deal with all year.
Roy, your not a coach. You never were!!! Stay out of the dressing room and leave the players alone. If Roy tells you he would look after your son, like he would his own. That does not say much about his parenting skills. Step down Roy, and leave the players alone. The players don't respect you, because you don't respect them. Mat Kabayama the guys love you. Enough said!!
There's the guy I hope survives any moves that may occur next season. The guy's a class act all the way. Spend any time talking to him and you'll see it instantly.

dagley
03-19-2009, 08:26 AM
It's an entirely new season, regular season records, stats, etc...mean nothing.

Gamer
03-19-2009, 10:28 AM

You could not be more correct. Roy has ruined this team. End of story. He is not a NICE LITTLE MAN and he is NOT a good GM, period. From his stupid trades and to the way he treat the players - Ask them.. if you dont believe...they want him GONE and they cant stand him!! Because of him, they have under achieved this entire year. He is the reason. Hopefully all the people who say this team should be doing a whole lot better will FIGURE IT OUT!!! and STOP blaming all the players. I would like to know how you would perform or work for an idiot like ROY -- I doubt you would if you were treated how these boys have been treated all year!! But funny, nobody sees behind the scenes... if only they boys could actually go public.....

localguy
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't think that anyone has been blaming the players, most everything I see has been questioning the brass as well.

DunnerStunner
03-19-2009, 01:54 PM
i will be shocked if you get past the toon

Rockets1231
03-21-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't know what it is with most everyone and their loveaffair with the Hurricanes roster. They have proven repeatedly all year that they are pretenders. They were beaten 32 times, 32 TIMES! If it wasn't for the shootout they would be a below .500 team. They beat Saskatoon at the end of the season and WHL fans seem to think that's the 'true' Hurricanes. The real truth is the the Hurricanes are going nowhere.

They remind me of the fat bride who puts off losing weight until two weeks before the wedding and then tries starving herself with no success.

They can't and won't turn it on in the playoffs. Successful teams result from practicing good habits all season long so that those winning habits become part of their nature. The only thing that is part of the Hurricanes nature is to not give a full effort. They have perfected that aspect of their game all season long.
Go Blades!

32 times and for 70% of those games, Boychuk, Sbisa, Metsola, or another key player was gone due to injury or at the world jrs.

Bocephus
03-21-2009, 03:53 PM
32 times and for 70% of those games, Boychuk, Sbisa, Metsola, or another key player was gone due to injury or at the world jrs.
Sorry, I can't respond. I have been put in the naughty chair.

canes77
03-22-2009, 04:23 PM

You got that right! See you in the Finals : )

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-22-2009, 06:37 PM
i will be shocked if you get past the toon

You either don't know the definition of shocked or don't know dick about hockey. Edmonton getting by Calgary, now that would be a shocking upset. The Canes beating Saskatoon is at most a mild upset. The Canes have the talent to do damage and the Oil Kings don't.

wheat_city
03-22-2009, 07:08 PM
You either don't know the definition of shocked or don't know dick about hockey. Edmonton getting by Calgary, now that would be a shocking upset. The Canes beating Saskatoon is at most a mild upset. The Canes have the talent to do damage and the Oil Kings don't.

you guys are in tough. i would be shocked too if you guys took out the blades... not trying to disrespect the canes they do have a good team but saskatoon has one of the best goaltenders in the WHL and they have really strong depth upfront and rolls 4 pretty strong lines as well as a very good defence, i wouldnt be suprised if you guys won the series but i would still be a little shocked...if that makes sense.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-23-2009, 11:37 AM
you guys are in tough. i would be shocked too if you guys took out the blades... not trying to disrespect the canes they do have a good team but saskatoon has one of the best goaltenders in the WHL and they have really strong depth upfront and rolls 4 pretty strong lines as well as a very good defence, i wouldnt be suprised if you guys won the series but i would still be a little shocked...if that makes sense.

I know what you are trying to say but semantically you kinda have it backwards. You probably mean you will be a little surprised but not shocked to see the Canes win. A shocking result means the Canes have absolutely positively and completely no chance whatsoever to win, but do win it. The Oil Kings beating Calgary would be shocking. The Canes beating S'toon would be a little surprising. Anyway I know what you mean and I agree.

DunnerStunner
03-23-2009, 01:39 PM
I know what you are trying to say but semantically you kinda have it backwards. You probably mean you will be a little surprised but not shocked to see the Canes win. A shocking result means the Canes have absolutely positively and completely no chance whatsoever to win, but do. The Oil Kings beating Calgary would be shocking. The Canes beating S'toon would be a little surprising. Anyway I know what you mean and I agree.

no shocking is the answer

Derek Sutton
03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
You can't tell people what is and isn't shocking, get over it, they're arent insults nor meant to be disrespecful, just opinions.
I would say four straight wins would be a shock,heck in my eyes a consistent effort game in and game out would be a shock, but the series could go either way and no one would be suprised.

Derek Sutton
03-23-2009, 06:53 PM
You could not be more correct. Roy has ruined this team. End of story. He is not a NICE LITTLE MAN and he is NOT a good GM, period. From his stupid trades and to the way he treat the players - Ask them.. if you dont believe...they want him GONE and they cant stand him!! Because of him, they have under achieved this entire year. He is the reason. Hopefully all the people who say this team should be doing a whole lot better will FIGURE IT OUT!!! and STOP blaming all the players. I would like to know how you would perform or work for an idiot like ROY -- I doubt you would if you were treated how these boys have been treated all year!! But funny, nobody sees behind the scenes... if only they boys could actually go public.....

Yes i'm sure there would be some interesting stories, could there be even more then in the Hofford days?
I am sure most of us have worked for a D*** and have hated it. Sometimes you don't realize how bad it is/ was till you see what else is out there. Now most of these players have seen what its like else where or have friends in other organizations and know what its like so it would be very easy for them to throw in the towel. Lets just hope they will play for themselves and their teamates and the fans, knowing Roy and crew will get the praise for any success and Dyck will take the fall in failure.

moon
03-23-2009, 07:57 PM
You could not be more correct. Roy has ruined this team. End of story. He is not a NICE LITTLE MAN and he is NOT a good GM, period. From his stupid trades and to the way he treat the players - Ask them.. if you dont believe...they want him GONE and they cant stand him!! Because of him, they have under achieved this entire year.

If that is the case it doesn't speak very highly of the players, especially since there are so many that are NHL picks. I know they are still kids for the most part but if you can't play through adversity, even it if is as terrible as a bad GM then you aren't likely going to be very successful in the future.

I am not defending Stasiuk but it sure seems like a pretty weak excuse is that is what is happening this year.

if only they boys could actually go public.....

Why can't they?

If it is so terrible as some (very few) seem to make it out to be why not go public? Especially with guys like Boychuk who has some much talent/respect that he has nothing to lose.

It isn't like King, Boychuk, Bancks, Wright, Ashton, Yadlowski, Metsola, Sbisa wouldn't have other places to go play if they spoke out against the "terrible" things they are facing.

localguy
03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
They can't because they have class, and that's not how it works. You don't know much about that obviously. They aren't going to ruin their reputation and possibly their careers just to say something. The stuff that went on with Hoffard only became somewhat public after he was fired, and the same thing goes here, none will say anything while Roy has the reins.

moon
03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
They can't because they have class, and that's not how it works. They aren't going to ruin their reputation and possibly their careers just to say something. The stuff that went on with Hoffard only became somewhat public after he was fired, and the same thing goes here, none will say anything while Roy has the reins.

I am saying if it is as bad as everyone is saying, so bad that it affects their play then they should say something and it shouldn't ruin anyones reputation.

The comments and accusations here sound pretty bad and sounds like the kind of stuff that should be made public so that further damage isn't done.

To me if it is as bad as people are saying it isn't "classy" to say nothing and nobody would ruin their careers or reputation by going public.

The one way to ruin a career is to have a crappy year that makes scouts question your ability.

You don't know much about that obviously.

:rolleyes:

At least that BS made me laugh.

localguy
03-24-2009, 08:07 AM
If it's such B.S., then why do you think you are the only one asking these questions, you don't know how it works. The players are already drafted, and scouts are watching them now, speaking out against management at any level is never going to help you get anywhere. The other teams they "could just go play for" have to talk to the GM they are outing before those players can move. Everything is done through the GM, and he can ruin you and your rep if you don't keep your place and your mouth in check. So as far as you not knowing I wasn't refeing to your level of class, so if you thought that I apologize, but the other stuff, unless you know some of these kids personally or have played at their level, it looks to me that you don't understand how things work.

moon
03-24-2009, 09:09 AM
If it's such B.S., then why do you think you are the only one asking these questions, you don't know how it works. The players are already drafted, and scouts are watching them now, speaking out against management at any level is never going to help you get anywhere. The other teams they "could just go play for" have to talk to the GM they are outing before those players can move. Everything is done through the GM, and he can ruin you and your rep if you don't keep your place and your mouth in check. So as far as you not knowing I wasn't refeing to your level of class, so if you thought that I apologize, but the other stuff, unless you know some of these kids personally or have played at their level, it looks to me that you don't understand how things work.

If that is the "way it is" then the WHL and hockey is general sure lost a whole lot of respect in my books.

I don't know these kids personally, but know plenty that have played in the WHL and that wasn't the impression that I got.

I still have a hard time believing that if it is as bad as it is that the players come out looking bad but will leave it to the "experts."

Anyways hopefully the kids can miraculously rise above it and manage to acutally try once or twice more but I guess if they don't we know why and have a built in excuse to let them all off the hook now.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-24-2009, 10:37 AM
I have a hard time believing half of this. How do you guys know all this bad GM stuff for certain? If he is so bad, how did we do so well last year? I have met Mr. Roy twice and ya he is not the friendliest guy around. As far as players speaking out they really can't. You want to get drafted or a free agent try out you keep your mouth shut and go play hard. You speak out and in the old boys club of hockey, you better enjoy playing senior A hockey in some hick town.

localguy
03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
I know a few of the players and their parents, and have never actually said anything specific. However, I have heard a number of things that make me not want to have my kids in hockey at all some days. Many times on here you hear guys say that these are just kids, and you are right, but they have to also be "professionals", and many struggle with it emotionally, which translates to the ice. Not all kids have thick skin, and can deal with stuff easily (kind of like lots of adults). We did well last year because the group was tight. When it came down to the finals, spokane was as tight, but is a properly run organization (I have friends that had family on that team too), which was imo, the biggest difference between us and the chiefs.

Nielson11
03-29-2009, 06:50 PM
haha did anyone point out that the guy who wrote the article for Sportsnet use to work for Hurricanes under Stasiuk?

tyeryan9
03-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Sure didn't last long though. He was 1 of the first to see what the guy was really like and got out of dodge quick.

Derek Sutton
03-30-2009, 05:11 PM
haha did anyone point out that the guy who wrote the article for Sportsnet use to work for Hurricanes under Stasiuk?

What did this Jabroni do? dont recognize the name. I'm assuming scouting but you know what happens when you assume.

Nielson11
03-31-2009, 08:20 AM
What did this Jabroni do? dont recognize the name. I'm assuming scouting but you know what happens when you assume.

He was in media relations...worked under Doug Campbell...essentially Ryan Ohashi's job before Ohashi