PDA

View Full Version : Rockets Awards Banquet

Malc
03-18-2009, 02:31 PM
By Ryan Watters

The 2008-2009 Kelowna Rockets Awards Banquet was held last night, Tuesday March 17, at the Coast Capri Hotel from 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm. The Rockets are pleased to announce the winners of the 2008-2009 team awards. The winners list is as follows:

Most Sportsmanlike – Colin Long (plus WHL Western Conference Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year, Brad Hornung Trophy)
Scholastic Player – Spencer Main
Top Defenceman – Tyler Myers
Most Improved – Mitchell Callahan
Top Scorer - Colin Long (91 points - 33 goals and 58 assists)
Rookie of the Year – Adam Brown (18-5-0-1 goals-against average of 2.02 (2nd-best, league-wise) and a save % of .912 (6th overall))
Humanitarian Award – Lucas Bloodoff
Unsung Hero – Cody Almond
Plus/Minus – Collin Bowman (+32)
Top Defensive Forward – Lucas Bloodoff
Most Valuable Player – Jamie Benn (46 goals in 56 games)

http://www.kelownarockets.com/Story.aspx?ID=541

Regan Bartel:
Tyler Myers had the best comment when accepting his defenseman of the year award. "I want to thank Luke Schenn for staying with the Toronto Maple Leafs".

Colin Long had this to say about winning the sportsmanlike player of the year. "I am glad we have Mitchell Callahan. He can fight so I don't have to."

What does that say when four of your award winners are American born players? Colin Long (California), Collin Bowman (Colorado), Adam Brown (California) and Mitchell Callahan (California) all picked up team awards at the Kelowna Rockets banquet Tuesday night. Throw in Tyler Myers, who was born in Texas, and technically five players born in the great U-S-A took home hardware. Times are a changing, and for all the right reasons.

DunnerStunner
03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
By Ryan Watters

The 2008-2009 Kelowna Rockets Awards Banquet was held last night, Tuesday March 17, at the Coast Capri Hotel from 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm. The Rockets are pleased to announce the winners of the 2008-2009 team awards. The winners list is as follows:

Most Sportsmanlike – Colin Long (plus WHL Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year, Brad Hornung Trophy)
Scholastic Player – Spencer Main
Top Defenceman – Tyler Myers
Most Improved – Mitchell Callahan
Top Scorer - Colin Long (91 points - 33 goals and 58 assists)
Rookie of the Year – Adam Brown (18-5-0-1 goals-against average of 2.02 (2nd-best, league-wise) and a save % of .912 (6th overall))
Humanitarian Award – Lucas Bloodoff
Unsung Hero – Cody Almond
Plus/Minus – Collin Bowman (+32)
Top Defensive Forward – Lucas Bloodoff
Most Valuable Player – Jamie Benn (46 goals in 56 games)

http://www.kelownarockets.com/Story.aspx?ID=541

Regan Bartel:
Tyler Myers had the best comment when accepting his defenseman of the year award. "I want to thank Luke Schenn for staying with the Toronto Maple Leafs".

Colin Long had this to say about winning the sportsmanlike player of the year. "I am glad we have Mitchell Callahan. He can fight so I don't have to."

What does that say when four of your award winners are American born players? Colin Long (California), Collin Bowman (Colorado), Adam Brown (California) and Mitchell Callahan (California) all picked up team awards at the Kelowna Rockets banquet Tuesday night. Throw in Tyler Myers, who was born in Texas, and technically five players born in the great U-S-A took home hardware. Times are a changing, and for all the right reasons.

will the rockets start the series with googyburger or brown in net?

Malc
03-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Mark Guggenberger

Malc
03-20-2009, 01:51 PM
By Doyle Potenteau

This is Mark Guggenberger‘s time to shine. Problem is, he‘s never had to polish his game in the post-season before.

The WHL‘s second season begins tonight, and the Kelowna Rockets and Kamloops Blazers begin their best-of-seven series with Game 1 at Prospera Place. Guggenberger will be Kelowna‘s starting goaltender, though the 20-year-old has never played in the post-season before.

This, however, isn‘t news to the Rockets, who acquired the 6-foot-2 ‘keeper from the Swift Current Broncos at the Jan. 10 trade deadline. When Kelowna brought in Guggenberger, they knew all his stats. Like how this was his second season; Kelowna would be his third team; how many games he played in (38 over 1-1/2 seasons); and zero playoff experience. But despite that big, fat zero, the Rockets liked what they saw and gambled on Guggenberger.

“I know he‘s excited and I know this is something he‘s been looking forward to for quite some time,” Rockets goaltender coach Kim Dillabaugh said of Guggenberger, who is 17-3-1-2 since joining the Rockets. “We‘re expecting him to play a big role for us in the playoffs, just like he has since he‘s come in.”

“He was brought here to be consistent for us down the stretch,” said Rockets head coach Ryan Huska. “Mark showed us that, and he deserves a chance to run with things and be a difference for us in these playoffs.”

As for Guggenberger, the product of Richfield, Minn., is understandably excited.

“No, I haven‘t played in a playoff game before, but I‘m definitely excited for the opportunity,” said Guggenberger, who still has one season of junior eligibility left and will likely be the Rockets‘ No. 1 ‘stopper for 2009-10. “I was brought into a contending team and I get the chance to start.

“There‘s obvious pressure – we‘re the higher seed going into the matchup – but we have to keep a level head and approach every game as if it‘s our last.”

Guggenberger finished the regular season with a record of 29-14-1-2 plus a goals-against average of 2.41 and a save percentage of .915. League-wise, he was sixth in goals-against and fourth in save percentage. Notably, Dustin Tokarski of the Spokane Chiefs was first in both categories (.937, 1.97).

“This is the time of season where we need him to be solid, and we can‘t allow those soft goals to happen,” said Dillabaugh, who‘s also a goaltender consultant for the Los Angeles Kings. “Those soft goals do happen from time to time, but I think he‘s done a good job lately of eliminating those from his game.

“I‘m sure he‘s excited and nervous. Anytime you go into the playoffs, there definitely are some nerves going, but he‘s more excited than anything to just go out and play.”

ICE CHIPS: While Guggenberger may have no playoff stats, he does have some playoff experience. Last season with Swift Current, Guggenberger watched No. 1 netminder Travis Yonkman go 6-6 in 12 playoff games with the Broncos... Swift Current beat Regina 4-2 in the first round, then fell 4-2 to Calgary in the second round... Guggenberger started 2007-08 with Portland, but was shipped to Swift Current at the trade deadline. He made three appearances with Portland... With Swift Current, he played 11 games in 2007-08, then 24 this season before going to Kelowna... At Thursday‘s practice, Guggenberger was heartily cheering on backup Adam Brown during a shooting drill, yelling “Attaboy, Brown Cow!”

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/stories_local_sports.php?id=173295