PDA

View Full Version : WHL governors reportedly to approve Americans sale

ScottyWazz
04-20-2005, 01:29 PM
The Vancouver Sun is reporting in today's editions that the Western Hockey League board of governors is expected Thursday to approve the tentative sale of the Tri-City Americans and the awarding of an expansion team to Chilliwack, British Columbia for the 2006-07 season.

The ownership group in the Tri-Cities would include Stu Barnes and Olaf Kolzig, a pair of National Hockey League stars who played for the Americans and make their offseason homes in Tri-Cities. The Sun reported that Barnes and Kolzig's group also includes current Americans general manager Bob Tory, who owns a portion of the Tri-City franchise along with Vancouver businessman Darryl Porter, former Vancouver Canucks general manager Brian Burke and New York Rangers GM Glen Sather.

The expansion team would be controlled by Porter, Burke and Sather but would also include Fraser Valley investors Moray Keith and Jim Bond, who own the British Columbia Hockey League's Chilliwack Chiefs.

The Sun reported the remaining hurdles include the purchase price for the Americans and the expansion fee to be paid by Porter's group.

From the Mid-Columbia Tri-City Herald. (http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc/hockey/americans/story/6399704p-6278691c.html)

Tinner
04-20-2005, 01:35 PM
now for the $64 question. Is this good for all parties concerned, that is, the prospective owners of both teams, the fans, the cities and most of all the players and league.

As discussed in another thread, are there enough quality players to expand again. My guess says this won't be limited to 1 expansion team but maybe a 2nd one in Edmonton......................we'll wait and see.

Jovorock
04-20-2005, 01:59 PM
I think is would be a mistake to expand into Chilliwack, like everyone else says the league is a little watered down right now.

I don't feel sorry for Porter and his partners, they took a chance at moving the team and lost. Now they are sitting ducks in a city that won't support them. Thats business sometimes you make the right decision and sometimes you don't.

Stay-Puft
04-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Doesn't it seem strange that the Burke Group is now minus Bob Tory, who is aligning himself with the Tri-City local ownership group?

RunTheGoalie
04-20-2005, 06:15 PM
The WHL would be absolutely foolish not to go into Edmonton if they are willing to go into Chilliwack.

Besides, 22 teams still allows for good balance, and we can get rid of the embarrassing situation of having a team like Moose Jaw qualify for the playoffs.

US: Portland, Seattle, Everett, Spokane, Tri-City
BC: Vancouver, Chilliwack, Kootenay, Kelowna, Prince George, Kamloops.
Central: Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Swift Current.
East: Saskatoon, Brandon, Regina, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert.

Playoffs determined by the top eight teams in each conference.

As for the talent level, that is easy enough to solve. Allow one extra 20 year old, and one more european. 22 extra 20 year olds and 22 extra foreigners easily covers the rosters of the two new teams.

Beaner
04-20-2005, 06:39 PM
The WHL would be absolutely foolish not to go into Edmonton if they are willing to go into Chilliwack.

Besides, 22 teams still allows for good balance, and we can get rid of the embarrassing situation of having a team like Moose Jaw qualify for the playoffs.

US: Portland, Seattle, Everett, Spokane, Tri-City
BC: Vancouver, Chilliwack, Kootenay, Kelowna, Prince George, Kamloops.
Central: Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Swift Current.
East: Saskatoon, Brandon, Regina, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert.

Playoffs determined by the top eight teams in each conference.

As for the talent level, that is easy enough to solve. Allow one extra 20 year old, and one more european. 22 extra 20 year olds and 22 extra foreigners easily covers the rosters of the two new teams.

The only problem with this is that Kootney wants in the Central division to save on travel.

Myself I think it looks fine, but I think the ICE will kick up a stink about it.

RunTheGoalie
04-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Well, you could go with a 5-5-6-6 format by moving Swift Current (who are also more logical in the Central) to the East. And hey, the WHL has a proud tradition of screwing the Eastern conference anyway, what with that embarrassing playoff format the league used in the mid 90s.

Realistically though, Kootenay will always be in a bad location geographically. I suspect no matter what division they are in, their schedule will always be significantly unbalanced. They will want to play Lethbridge, Calgary, Medicine Hat and Spokane as often as possible regardless.

RunTheGoalie
04-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Ron Robinson is on Fan960, and he stated that expansion will be discussed tomorrow. He referred to there being "extraordinary circumstances" right now, and mentioned there is significant interest in new teams throughout the west.

LMAO! Talking about Edmonton/the Oilers interest: "Everytime Calgary is successful, and Edmonton is left out of it they want to get involved." Nice shot at Edmonton there Ron!

Scout
04-20-2005, 08:39 PM
I got word today that the league had an emergency conferance call to discuss the sale to Chill: Once again it was voted down and is now dead. They did rally a few new allies but not enough. Ron has said this sale is now dead. That does not mean a new proposal from Edmonton won't be made.

Scout