PDA

View Full Version : New rumor in Alberta

Tinner
01-19-2005, 05:30 PM
I heard it the other day. I'm not big on rumor but this has some merit. The the Edmonton Roadrunners will relocate to Saskatoon next year on a full time basis and the Blades are going to Edmonton.

Is there anything any one can add from Saskatoon.

It seems like it is something that could happen given the size of the rink and Saskatoons population base to draw from. Also, if the NHL plays next year, there isn't room for the Roadrunners in Edmonton.

Fight Guy
01-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Well...considering it was also a rumour(apperantly) that the same thing was happening, but with Regina, I dont see it happening. Though, I can see it working in S'toon, I don't think it would happen. I wouldn't be too concerned with this happening.

Pirate005
01-19-2005, 06:45 PM
THat is lousy ****....Me as Pirate will not take that crap on here! Stay away with the crap and ****ing ****ty rumours!

ofhdhdy
01-19-2005, 06:48 PM
I heard it the other day. I'm not big on rumor but this has some merit. The the Edmonton Roadrunners will relocate to Saskatoon next year on a full time basis and the Blades are going to Edmonton.

Is there anything any one can add from Saskatoon.

It seems like it is something that could happen given the size of the rink and Saskatoons population base to draw from. Also, if the NHL plays next year, there isn't room for the Roadrunners in Edmonton.

That rumour is false as the STar Phoenix has said. It was in the paper like 2 months ago or something but if it did end up being true i would be really happy and would definately go to some games!

RunTheGoalie
01-19-2005, 07:02 PM
This is actually a very old rumor,and has involved Saskatoon (at least twice), Regina and Portland.

Seattle, Tri-Cities, Prince George, Swift Current and Moose Jaw have all been mentioned as "rumored" to be moving to Edmonton in the last year or so as well.

Though it makes sense why Edmonton would do it. They are averaging over 8000 for the AHL, and if they could do the same in the WHL, with significantly lower travel costs, it would make sense for the Oilers to have a WHL team rather than an AHL team.

As far as the two city swap that this thread was started on, only Saskatoon makes sense, as Regina doesnt have an arena large enough for AHL standards, while Portland is an even worse choice than Edmonton is based on travel distance.

That said, I'd rather stick with the WHL myself if I were a Blades fan.

Billy Blade
01-19-2005, 09:22 PM
The main reason why it has been a rumour that refuses to go away is because the Oilers ownership group would love for this to happen, but it is just not feasible. The Edmonton Oilers organization has been working to foster closer ties with the city of Saskatoon and we are actually considered a part of their "local market", with home games being blacked out on NHL Centre Ice. Patrick LaForge is a regular business luncheon special guest in our city and holds open forums about Oilers hockey here.

Basically, where there is smoke, there is usually fire. I don't believe this would ever come to fruitation, but it has undoubtably been a topic of discussion with the Brodsky family and the Oilers organization. Jack Brodsky has been doing the only thing he can do, denying it to the public and the press. Look for the Blades to stay in Saskatoon.

Nook
01-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Not only that, but it costs a heck of a lot more to own an AHL team than a WHL team... Who would own it? It wouldn't make much sense for the Brodsky's to sell the Blades and take on a bigger financial responsibility with the 'Runners.

tazndevil
01-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Not to open a new can of worms, but the rumor I heard around the Saddledome, was when the lockout is over the Runners are moving out (to midwest US???), and KOOTENAY is moving back to Edmonton.

Not tryin to stir the pot, just relaying what I heard

Taz