PDA

View Full Version : Spokane vs Giants - WHL Western Conference Round 2

dondo
03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey anybody thinking about coming up for the game?

We are hoping to get some payback for last year. We are faster than we were and have a lot of dimension to the team, which we lacked last season. Should be a great series and this one going to 7 games would not be a stretch.

Chief Jeff
03-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I would give the Chiefs a very good chance in this series if Cowen was still playing. He was getting better and better and by the time of his injury was among the best in the league. He also uses the longest stick I have ever seen and has used it to poke check guys coming down with speed all year, which was setting up chance the other way. Glass being back does give the Chiefs a dynamic D-man with Spurgeon. The main reason the Chiefs haven't been as dynamic this year is the injuries, especially to the Defense late. They reached the tipping point in Defense where they were playing a forward and a 15 year old the first two against Seattle. The key for the Chiefs is going to be keeping the area between the circles clean. If Tic can see the shots he will get them. That again is where they have missed Cowen.

dagley
03-30-2009, 11:49 PM
This is going to be an excellent series, hope Shaw picks it up cause I would like to follow it closely.

dondo
03-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Glass gave us fits playing for the Tigers .. so I don't doubt he'll be a factor

not having Cowen is a big hole for the Chiefs, but they have some fine D to fill in as well.

I'm just looking forward to some excellent hockey as these two teams tend to deliver. Let's hope the zebras don't try to make statements these playoffs, crappy reffing can ruin a good game so easily. And threaten giving me a massive coronary in the process.

Chief Jeff
03-31-2009, 10:04 PM
looks like Reddington will be ready and surprisingly Baldwin may be healing faster than was originally thought and could be back toward the end of this series. No injury excuses...Cowen is a big loss but with the rest of the team healthy the Chiefs should give the Giants a good run.

HomerSimpson
04-01-2009, 08:43 AM
With Cowen:

Cowen/Spurgeon - one of the best pairs in the league.
Glass/Reddington - one of the best shutdown pairs in the league.
Bartman/Ulmer - Ulmer has been elite offensively and Bartman has grown leaps and bounds.

Without Cowen:
Spurgeon/Ulmer - where's the size?
Glass/Reddington - still fantastic.
Bartman/Kichton - all of a sudden, our third pair doesn't look so hot.

It's a big, big difference and IMO will probably mean the Vancouver Giants have a huge advantage. The biggest thing for the Chiefs is that they have to win game 1 to have a chance. If they get down early in this series, it's going to be tough to come back. We can hope that Vancouver has a letdown after playing a weaker team (PG) - but that's unlikely from a Don Hay coached team.

Chief Jeff
04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
With Cowen:

Cowen/Spurgeon - one of the best pairs in the league.
Glass/Reddington - one of the best shutdown pairs in the league.
Bartman/Ulmer - Ulmer has been elite offensively and Bartman has grown leaps and bounds.

Without Cowen:
Spurgeon/Ulmer - where's the size?
Glass/Reddington - still fantastic.
Bartman/Kichton - all of a sudden, our third pair doesn't look so hot.

It's a big, big difference and IMO will probably mean the Vancouver Giants have a huge advantage. The biggest thing for the Chiefs is that they have to win game 1 to have a chance. If they get down early in this series, it's going to be tough to come back. We can hope that Vancouver has a letdown after playing a weaker team (PG) - but that's unlikely from a Don Hay coached team.

Bartman will probably play mostly with Spurgeon and Ulmer will play with Kichton. you would never put Spurgeon with Ulmer together anywhere but the powerplay as they are both MAYBE 5'9 160. There really isn't a big secret to beating the Giants...If you can match their talent (Chiefs one of 3-4 teams in the league that can) then it is matching their work ethic. I won't say outwork them...I'm not sure that is possible with a Hay coached team. Look for Andrej Roman in this series...He killed the Giants last year and I think the week off should put some bounce in his step that has been lacking the last 2-3 weeks.

dondo
04-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Met Brett Bartman's Mom tonight, nice lady

Well a good game tonight, both teams checked really closely and the top line for the Chiefs were well into the minuses. I'm hoping the Giants can hold them off for another game, hell for the whole series as unlikely as that is to happen.

The Chiefs did a pretty good job locking out CPZ, Kane and co. as well.

Both Sexy and Tik were great tonight.

Pete76
04-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Met Brett Bartman's Mom tonight, nice lady

Well a good game tonight, both teams checked really closely and the top line for the Chiefs were well into the minuses. I'm hoping the Giants can hold them off for another game, hell for the whole series as unlikely as that is to happen.

The Chiefs did a pretty good job locking out CPZ, Kane and co. as well.

Both Sexy and Tik were great tonight.

one set of the minuses was on the EN at the end, but it is noteable that Glass, Calla, Roman, Bowman were all -2 ... hoping for a different outcome tonight;)

dondo
04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
^ I'm not vci34

hope its another good one.

It also goes to show that you can play defensively solid hockey and still put together an entertaining game. Trap hockey is the lazy man's defense in my mind.

It takes more effort, yet more chances are gained by hustling back on the back-check and pressing hard in the offensive zone. Far more entertaining as well.

Pete76
04-04-2009, 01:52 PM
^ I'm not vci34

hope its another good one.

It also goes to show that you can play defensively solid hockey and still put together an entertaining game. Trap hockey is the lazy man's defense in my mind.

It takes more effort, yet more chances are gained by hustling back on the back-check and pressing hard in the offensive zone. Far more entertaining as well.

Was it a good game to watch live? Honestly, do you give them a chance of winning 1 or more games in the series w/o Tik standing on his head and throwing a shutout ... will it take perfect hockey and a few bounces?

scrunt
04-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Was it a good game to watch live? Honestly, do you give them a chance of winning 1 or more games in the series w/o Tik standing on his head and throwing a shutout ... will it take perfect hockey and a few bounces?

I thought it would be a very close series before Game 1, and I still think so. The game was a lot closer than the shot totals indicted.

If Sexsmith hadn't made that great save early in the first on the play coming around behind the net, it would have been a completely different game. Somehow I didn't feel too worried after the Chiefs scored their tying goal in the third, but it was clearly a game either team could have won.

Let's hope the refs let them play and the boys play it hard and clean, just like last night!

dondo
04-04-2009, 04:25 PM
and yes P76 it was good game to watch live. Pretty good and vocal crowd last night and some good hockey from both squads. I expect the teams to elevate their respective games tonight though.

Pete76
04-04-2009, 10:46 PM
and yes P76 it was good game to watch live. Pretty good and vocal crowd last night and some good hockey from both squads. I expect the teams to elevate their respective games tonight though.

well, at least one team elevated their game ... and vancouver took mercy on us and did not score on the 5 on 3's in the 3rd period:)

dondo
04-05-2009, 12:34 AM
yup that's about the size of it.

The Giants top line showed up tonight and the other guys, especially the D upped their game. I would have liked to see the same intensity in the third and not to have the Giants squander those PP chances, but all in all a pretty solid game for us tonight.

The Chiefs got caught taking more than a few undisciplined penalties tonight. This year we seem to match up well versus the Chiefs.

old_time_hockey
04-05-2009, 11:14 PM
That save on Gallagher Tokarski made was crazy. I was half way out of my seat about ready to waive my towel and then I had the same reaction as Brendon...Tipped my head back and said Oh My God.

I just can't believe the gong show Letts put on though. Suckering someone to the side of the head. Disgusting.