PDA

View Full Version : Tips will use two import picks

Tipped Off
04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
from np's blog at heraldnet.com

- Everett will use both its first-round selections in the import draft, which I believe takes place July 1 (the Wednesday following the NHL draft). Everett has its own pick and Regina's, which it acquired via trade last year. I have no idea what order the leagues pick this year, but Regina's pick is sixth among WHL teams and Everett's is seventh, so the Tips have picks in the 16-18 and 19-21 ranges, which is pretty good. Now, the import draft is a little sketchy as player agents have a lot of leverage in determining which teams pick which players. However, Everett's traditionally done well in the import draft, getting several impact players -- Ivan Baranka, Karel Hromas, Ondrej Fiala (and I'm certain Vitaly Karamnov would have been added to this list had he returned this season) -- and getting every single selection to report. So the Tips should be able to use those selections to good use. Soetaert is braving the floods to do some scouting at the U-18 World Championships in Fargo, N.D., and Moorhead, Minn., to prepare for the import draft.