PDA

View Full Version : Kolzig enjoying his role as hockey fan

HAF
04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/1012/story/534343.html

Kolzig enjoying his role as hockey fan

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

var comments_story_id = 534343;Olie Kolzig has played in a lot of memorable hockey games in his career, but when he gets the chance, he likes to sit back and watch the action as a fan.

The 17-year NHL goaltender and part owner of the Tri-City Americans was able to do just that this past weekend at Toyota Center as his team took a pair of games from the Kelowna Rockets to go up 2-0 in the best-of-7 WHL Western Conference semifinals.

"The last two games were really good hockey games to watch," Kolzig said. "It's what it's been about the last few years -- finding a way to come back. I'm sure it put a little dent into the psyche of Kelowna, too, coming out with a 2-0 lead in the third and losing 3-2. I'm sure it will make them think a little bit."

Kolzig also was on hand last season when the Americans lost a scintillating seven-game battle to Spokane in the Western Conference finals.

"We were one goal away from the Memorial Cup in my eyes," Kolzig said. "I think the challenge will be a little bigger this year. Kelowna presents a pretty big challenge, and you get past Kelowna you get Vancouver. You get past Vancouver you get to deal with Calgary. The road will be tougher this year."

One of the first goaltenders to mind the net in the Tri-Cities, Kolzig said he keeps up with the Americans via the internet. He's watched a half-dozen games this season on web TV and checks the scores each day.

"I always keep track," he said. "It's hard being an owner, but you are still a fan of hockey and it's always interesting to see how they did."

This season, the Americans won their second straight U.S. Division banner, then dispatched Everett in five games in the first round of the playoffs, which fits into the plans Kolzig and partner Stu Barnes had in mind when they bought the team in 2005.

"It says a lot about what Bob (Tory) has done, what Don (Nachbaur) has done, and it's something when we took over the team that we wanted to establish -- some history," Kolzig said. "We wanted to be a competitive team night in and night out, year in and year out. So far, so good. Ultimately, we want to win a Memorial Cup."

Kolzig will follow the series to Kelowna, where the Americans and Rockets will play Games 3 and 4 at Prospera Place on Tuesday and Wednesday.

"I'll head up (today) and spend some time with my buddy Byron Dafoe and get a chance to watch a couple of games and come back for Game 5 on Friday," Kolzig said. "No, I won't say that. Hopefully we won't have a Game 5, then I can come back, enjoy a few days with friends and family and head back to Tampa on Easter Sunday."

Kolzig, who turns 39 today, was able to make the trip this spring after surgery to repair a ruptured distal biceps tendon in his left arm in January that ended his season.

The 2000 Vezina Trophy winner, who left the Washington Capitals last season after 16 years, played just eight games this season for the Lightning, going 2-4-1 with a 3.66 goals against average and an .898 save percentage. He was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs at the NHL trade deadline in March, but hasn't been able to play.

Kolzig is nine weeks into recovery since surgery and has another three weeks before he can start rehabilitation.

"The surgery went great and it should be 100 percent by June 1," Kolzig said as he demonstrated the flexibility of his arm.

Even if his arm heals so that he can play again, Kolzig isn't sure that he will.

"I'm kind of sitting on the fence right now," he said. "My hip is still giving me some issues, I've had two major surgeries in less than a year and it might be my body's way of saying it might be enough. But I still have that competitive side. I only played eight games this year and I still feel a little unfulfilled. I haven't won a Stanley Cup yet, and the last year and a half, it hasn't exactly been my greatest time as far as a hockey player goes. I don't want to end my career on that note."

dagley
04-07-2009, 11:46 AM
"You get past Vancouver you get to deal with Calgary. The road will be tougher this year."

Don't get ahead of yourself there Kolzie, got 23 boys over here that will disagree with that.

kokanne.ehs
04-28-2009, 12:12 PM
"You get past Vancouver you get to deal with Calgary. The road will be tougher this year."

Don't get ahead of yourself there Kolzie, got 23 boys over here that will disagree with that.

Kind of looking like Olie knew what he was talking about. Although I'm sure you guys will be very tough next year....hosting the cup and all.