PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory Fire Kelly! thread

Allin44
04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
OK I am not serious, but just a little post-mortem and look ahead to next season..

Hindsight - under the assumption Aulie, Calvert, Fehr are our 20 year olds, nobody else turns pro.

Was not trading some of our 19 year olds(Fehr, Green, Lewie, Cowan, Jeffries, Aulie, Calvert) a bad decision?

Next year we are losing 2/3(Clark, Lowry), all over our 3rd line(Cowan, Green, Lewadniuk). Our 4th line will lose Jefferies.

We also lose our #3 dman in Erb.

Projected lines..

Calvert - Schenner - Glennie
Stone - Depape - Fehr
then what?
Ciarelli - Hall - Hale?
do we even have players left for our 4th line?

Aulie - Robak
Bestland - Miller
Schneider - Melnychuk(shudder)

Hayes
Priestner

Hayes showed during the playoffs that he cannot take a team on his shoulders and carry a team, so this off season is going to take a major surgery..

we basically need to bring in two true 2nd liners, a 3 & 4 dman and a #1 goalie..

Good Luck Kelly

dagley
04-23-2009, 08:25 AM
There is no doubt he is going to make some big moves, acquiring some big name guys (Eberle would be one), don't be surprised if during the off-season he makes some moves, especially for a #1 goaltender and some defense. He will probably wait to the deadline to acquire a big name guy (like Eberle) when the price would be cheaper then early in the season. This, saying the Pats dont have a good year again next year.

sc87
04-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Eberle will not be traded.if u think that u need help.Aulie will be playing pro next year.remember there is still talk that the 4 20 year old system could be in place by next season.for the lines u forget about the 2 euros they will have.the belarussian who played in Shattuck this years will more than lilky come to brandon.and of course everyone forgets 2 players.Toews and Regier at least on will be on the team.if Toews signs with NYI he will be a Wheatking.

sbtatter
04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Have to assume that Aulie is gone.
Keep Calvert and Fehr. Then who do you keep out of Green, Lewadniuk, Jeffries and Cowan? Depends if you want scoring or checking, Green or Jeffries?
Obviously we will do some wheeling and dealing, but as it stands we're in good shape on defence before we even start to trade

Robak Melnychuk
Schneider Bestland
Miller Robidoux

Add in the Belaruson (sp) and erdhardt and we have a decent D before he trades to strengthen it.

Goaltending
If the price is right in the summer he will trade for a goalie, but remember, trading for a top goalie is an inexact science, ask Kelowna about the lazurak fiasco. Hayes has really benefitted from this playoff run, first experience in the PO's for him (and if you switched him and Jones around in this last series, there really isn't a lot of difference between them, look at Jones last night, 4 goals on 16 shots).
We will be in the market for a hot 18 or 19 year old goalie, but they are tough to find, maybe he will gamble with a Euro pick and acquire Bobkov or Lehner?
Forwards, well lots of holes before trades, but we have lots of assets to trade.
Calvert Schenn Glennie
Fehr Green Stone
Ciarelli Walker Depape
Hale Rouse W King

Have Hall, S King, Wilson, ferland, Swrpia as squad players to start trading.

The only way we are really screwed is if Schenn's NHL team decide to keep him!!

Kelly is usually a trading magican so I'm not to worried.

Allin44
04-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Have to assume that Aulie is gone.
Keep Calvert and Fehr. Then who do you keep out of Green, Lewadniuk, Jeffries and Cowan? Depends if you want scoring or checking, Green or Jeffries?
Obviously we will do some wheeling and dealing, but as it stands we're in good shape on defence before we even start to trade

Robak Melnychuk
Schneider Bestland
Miller Robidoux

Add in the Belaruson (sp) and erdhardt and we have a decent D before he trades to strengthen it.

Goaltending
If the price is right in the summer he will trade for a goalie, but remember, trading for a top goalie is an inexact science, ask Kelowna about the lazurak fiasco. Hayes has really benefitted from this playoff run, first experience in the PO's for him (and if you switched him and Jones around in this last series, there really isn't a lot of difference between them, look at Jones last night, 4 goals on 16 shots).
We will be in the market for a hot 18 or 19 year old goalie, but they are tough to find, maybe he will gamble with a Euro pick and acquire Bobkov or Lehner?
Forwards, well lots of holes before trades, but we have lots of assets to trade.
Calvert Schenn Glennie
Fehr Green Stone
Ciarelli Walker Depape
Hale Rouse W King

Have Hall, S King, Wilson, ferland, Swrpia as squad players to start trading.

The only way we are really screwed is if Schenn's NHL team decide to keep him!!

Kelly is usually a trading magican so I'm not to worried.

I've heard from some pretty well placed MJHL sources that they fully expect S King to be playing MJ next year

Joe Hallenback
04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Glennie Schenn Stone - No brainer. Will be the best line in the WHL. Watch for Stone's Draft number rise up as he puts up huge numbers

Depape Fehr Lewdaniuk - Will be a great secondary scoring line. Fehr had a huge year and will be better as a 20 year old. Lewadniuk looked really solid in the playoffs and Depape will be a good one. Trust me on this

Hall Green Ciarelli - I expect better numbers from both Hall and Ciarelli this year. Green is the 3rd 20 year old and he can produce

Hale Swyripa Wilson - Hale is starting to look not bad out there. Wilson and Swyripa are our new 16 year old thorough breds. Watch for Swyripa I think he will surpise alot of people. I think he was a steal in the 2nd round.

Robak Melnychuk
Schneider Bestland
Robidoux Miller

The defense above is not bad as it stands. It could be better if everyone logically progresses. Thats not always the case. I had high hopes for Miller and I think he needs to impress early on next year

Erhardt Gotovets Fransoo

I gotta believe that both Erhardt and Fransoo will be here. Erhardt was pretty damm good as a 16 year old in Midget this season. He is a big kid at 6'4 200 and plays real physical. Fransoo is decent player and has grown in size. Played in midget AAA this season and will be a bench guy I think. Gotovets is a wild card. I think they think he will be here. I talked to a friend of mine who watches High School hockey in Minnesota and Gotovets impressed. He is leaning towards playing NCAA and I guess it depends if he gets drafted whether he will come or not. I have feeling he will not get drafted and try the college route

Hayes
Priestner

Honestly I thought Hayes was good early in the playoffs then tailed off at the end. It remains to be seen if Kelly believes him to be THE GUY or not. Priestner is a more than capable backup and could possible steal the number 1

So were does that leave us for next season?

Who will be the Euros?

It's hard to get them to come to Brandon even though we are IMO the best organization in the east for pro prospects. So just who might we have our sites on?
NHL Draft picks looking to adjust. Lets peruse last years and this years draft and see.

Goalies

Robin Lehner - Big technically sound Swedish goalie has expressed interest in coming to the CHL next year. Will be drafted. Played in the U18's for Sweden.

Igor Bobkov - Big Athletic goalie from Russia. Wants to play in the NHL and has expressed an interest to come to the CHL to get used to the NA game.

Defenseman

Ondrej Dolezal - A good size Czech defender. Someone is goning to take him as he will come over next year.

Dimitri Korobov - The big Belarussian defender might be on his way over to the CHL. Got stuck on the sidelines for Dynamo Minsk and with his size someone is likely to grab him in the later rounds of the NHL draft.

Forwards

Tomas Tatar - Slovak center who looked really good at the World Juniors. Will go in the top 2 rounds of the draft.

Marek Hrivik - Slick Slovak winger with good size. Another guy who looked good at the world juniors

Vik
04-23-2009, 03:49 PM
The one advantage with Euros that we have this year is obviously the Mem Cup. Especially if we get someone's who's drafted, their NHL team is likely to put some extra pressure on them to come over knowing that they're going to be in the tournament.

sbtatter
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
So if Toews signs with the Isles and they tell him to come play here, what sort of a player is similar to? Would he be an impact player, or more of a Lewadniuk? What WHl'er does he play like?

dagley
04-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Eberle will not be traded.if u think that u need help.Aulie will be playing pro next year.remember there is still talk that the 4 20 year old system could be in place by next season.for the lines u forget about the 2 euros they will have.the belarussian who played in Shattuck this years will more than lilky come to brandon.and of course everyone forgets 2 players.Toews and Regier at least on will be on the team.if Toews signs with NYI he will be a Wheatking.

Are you dumb? If Regina has a decent year next year, they will trade Eberle if he isn't in the show. They would be dumb NOT to trade him come trade deadline week to gain some prospects/young players.

Oh, and you need help if you haven't heard REGIER quit playing hockey.

sc87
04-23-2009, 05:17 PM
have u heard that I know thing you will and would never.HE WONT BE TRADED.Regier will play in the upcoming season just u wait and see.

WHEATMAN
04-23-2009, 06:18 PM
I second that. And Regier isn't coming back.

nivek_wahs
04-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Careful guys... Discussion is good.... name calling and insults isn't. Keep it civil.

Allin44
04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I am still of the opinion that it was a mistake not to sell at the deadline this year. Not significant sells, but get 17 or 18 year olds back for guys like Fehr, Green, Lewy etc

dagley
04-23-2009, 09:29 PM
It's hard to say, judgment call really. I find it odd that we never did ANYTHING, which kind of blew my mind. I figure you would do a few odds and ends to let the team get acquainted with some guys that will be here next season

Vik
04-23-2009, 10:57 PM
I am still of the opinion that it was a mistake not to sell at the deadline this year. Not significant sells, but get 17 or 18 year olds back for guys like Fehr, Green, Lewy etc

I would keep Fehr but I was very surprised we didn't move any of our 19s. I figured Aulie and Green would be on the move at some point this season.

sbtatter
04-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Yup, I would have a moved (for example) one of Cowan/jeffries and one of Green/Lewadniuk for 17/18's or picks....but KM is very loyal and didn't want to sell this team short.

Allin44
04-24-2009, 09:02 AM
have u heard that I know thing you will and would never.HE WONT BE TRADED.Regier will play in the upcoming season just u wait and see.

A year of development lost at that age is devastating and he won't have a spot on this team

Joe Hallenback
04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I have it on good authority that IF Toews signs a contract with the Islanders he will be assigned here for the season.

Now the big question is IF they sign him. I know from friends of the family he was very unhappy with his ice time this season at UND. He was regulated to a checking line with limited powerplay time. The thing is the Islanders DON'T have to sign him this year. So it's hard to say what they think is better for his development. I got to think he wold slide right into the second line this year and have a major role.

The downside is the Toews family has a negative view of the WHL. Sorry to say the Mother has a very bad perception that the WHL is too brutal to play in and she wants her sons to have an "education". Even though Jonathan played 2 years at college and left.

wango tango
04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
with the wheaties hosting the cup next season the price for players is going to be higher.

if brandon were to make the league final then the team from the western conference would automatically earn the spot as whl representative. so you'll have teams out west loading up for their shot.

saskatoon could return 16 of 22 players from this past season, so they're looking for better next year too. the blades biggest question is morrison as the teams starter. is he ready? (sound familiar) if not saskatoon will be looking for a vet starter just like brandon, and that'll drive up the price.

sbtatter
04-24-2009, 02:52 PM
with the wheaties hosting the cup next season the price for players is going to be higher.

if brandon were to make the league final then the team from the western conference would automatically earn the spot as whl representative. so you'll have teams out west loading up for their shot.

saskatoon could return 16 of 22 players from this past season, so they're looking for better next year too. the blades biggest question is morrison as the teams starter. is he ready? (sound familiar) if not saskatoon will be looking for a vet starter just like brandon, and that'll drive up the price.

Ironic that we could both be looking for a goalie this year, b/c this past season you couldn't give a good goalie away there were so many floating around!! Torrie Jung for example. But now he'd be a 20 year old, which won't work for s, but maybe the Blades?

mckayd2001
04-24-2009, 04:47 PM
When's the spring camp?

wheat_city
04-26-2009, 09:59 PM
regier wants to come back and play for the wheaties next year, ( obviously has something to do with the mem cup ) so expect to see him here next year.

Joe Hallenback
04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
regier wants to come back and play for the wheaties next year, ( obviously has something to do with the mem cup ) so expect to see him here next year.

Did he actually play competitive hockey this year?

Brandonite
04-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Did he actually play competitive hockey this year?

No he didnt play hockey at all this season. My understanding was that he is an incredibly smart kid in school and that was his main focus which was why he quit hockey. I dont know why people automatically assume that even if he does decide to play this season, he is the furthest from a guarenteed spot possible! #1 he didnt play last year so he is that much further behind everyone else. #2 hes a 17 year old who was going to be hard pressed last season to make this team let alone next. If the Memorial Cup wasnt in Brandon I would say yeah more than likely but you cant just accept him because he was a 1st round pick. He needs to prove the coaching staff if he really is serious. There are alot of guys much more ahead than Regeir on the depth chart at this point

wheaties89
04-28-2009, 12:12 PM
cant be any worse then one of our other first rounders sanfred king. it seems were either hit or miss with our first rounders

Brandonite
04-28-2009, 02:59 PM
cant be any worse then one of our other first rounders sanfred king. it seems were either hit or miss with our first rounders

Yeah no kidding. I made that comment a while ago. Our first rounders are either a huge success or a massive bust!! Mike Cann & Jeff Topilko are other examples. Topilko finally woke the hell up in his final year but other than that, it was a waste of a 1st round pick if you ask me!

dagley
04-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah no kidding. I made that comment a while ago. Our first rounders are either a huge success or a massive bust!! Mike Cann & Jeff Topilko are other examples. Topilko finally woke the hell up in his final year but other than that, it was a waste of a 1st round pick if you ask me!

No kidding Tips was a bust, seeing how we could have taken Dustin Boyd ahead of him

Brandonite
04-29-2009, 05:50 AM
No kidding Tips was a bust, seeing how we could have taken Dustin Boyd ahead of him

Not to pick on a guy but players like that leave me to seriously wonder how they lasted as long as they did in the league. I never thought Tips deserved a spot in Brandon, especially as an overage!! Sanfred King should and will be playing in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League. The WHL is just not for everyone...

Allin44
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
You need to remember these are 14 and 15 year old kids when they are scouted and drafted, and some of them are the best they'll ever be at the midget level, while some continue to grow and progress year after year.

dagley
04-29-2009, 11:26 AM
You need to remember these are 14 and 15 year old kids when they are scouted and drafted, and some of them are the best they'll ever be at the midget level, while some continue to grow and progress year after year.

Fair assessment, it's hard not to go back to past drafts and wonder.

Joe Hallenback
04-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Its a huge crapshoot drafting 14 year olds. Yes we got Sanfred King in the first round but we also drafted Colby Robak in the 4th round. King was highly touted player for his age he just never developed past that.

Brandonite
04-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Its a huge crapshoot drafting 14 year olds. Yes we got Sanfred King in the first round but we also drafted Colby Robak in the 4th round. King was highly touted player for his age he just never developed past that.

Yeah I agree with you on that for sure, drafting a kid when he is 14 years old is a pure crap shoot. Your hoping he is going to turn out, but its very hard to totally tell at such a young age.

The Wheatiemaniac
04-29-2009, 03:04 PM

And on top of that, why give him a chance to cause more problems? So he comes to camp....he's sat inactive(gameplay wise) for a year now. He somehow squeaks onto the roster, and a month into the season he decides things aren't going his way and he goes home. Not a risk Kelly will take. We'd be better off to buy Rylan Schwartz a Porsche in exchange for a year in the Dub. Regier had his chance and turned up his nose at it. Leave him where he is or I swear we'll have another Mike Wirll on our hands.....or worse Mark Shefchyck.
I do like th idea of a big European D-man. Even of you have to trade up, you wouldn't have to give up as much in a trade for an Import pick.
With a stronger defence(preferrably a Melnychuck-free zone) I even feel that Hayes could at least carry the mail til the deadline, because someone will have a proven goalie ready to sell his soul for a chance to win the Mem Cup.
Kelly will get what we need......and then some.

sc87
04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
BM played well all YEAR

dagley
04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
BM played well all YEAR

Shouldn't you be out scouting for your NHL teams, champ?

BM never played well all year, he had a three or four week span where he played respectable...your definition of "well" must be pretty pathetic.

Boltz9
04-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Removed by Admin

Have you said one sensible thing on this site yet? Leave Dagley alone, I too believe that Schenn is a better all around player than Tavares. Just watch Tavares all he ever does is stand at the side of the net and wait for a pass, don't know how well that will work in the NHL.

The Wheatiemaniac
04-29-2009, 05:47 PM
BM played well all YEAR

Since you're a scout, what is Brodie's best attribute? Is it his ability to be constantly blown past by wingers and hung out to dry, or is it his ability to think he can carry the puck and get it stripped from behind off of him......and get hung out to dry.

Sice Brodie is so high on your list, what round of the NHL Draft will we hear Sanfred King's name called??? How about Matt Hallick???

Brodie had about a six week window where he tried to minimize his mistakes, then was right back where he started from. We would have been better off with Grill-Donovan back there.

dagley
04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Have you said one sensible thing on this site yet? Leave Dagley alone, I too believe that Schenn is a better all around player than Tavares. Just watch Tavares all he ever does is stand at the side of the net and wait for a pass, don't know how well that will work in the NHL.

Last edited by nivek_wahs : Today at 06:44 PM. Reason: Removed quoted text as it was stupid

LOL

Boltz9
04-29-2009, 10:59 PM
lol awesome, back to the topic of firing Kelly. Do you really think that he will not want to be the head coach during the mem cup, because I do and don't think he will give up that chance. But does anyone have any people in mind that could take over as head coach.

Brandonite
04-30-2009, 05:25 AM
Brodie Melnychyk did not have a great year at all. He took alot of heat from fans by his constant turning the puck over. Yes, he is only 17 and very young and will make mistakes but when you talk about whether or not he had a great year or not, he clearly was not one of our better defencemen on a regular basis! In saying that, he will get drafted still. He has good size, and does have some upside to his game and was at one point in the same breath as Glennie & Schenn. Don't get me wrong, your not going to hear his name til the 5th round or later, but he will get the call from 1 of the 30 NHL teams. Do I agree with it? No, but a player like that I could easily see getting drafted or not. About the coaching, how about Ted Nolan?

Joe Hallenback
04-30-2009, 08:48 AM
I think people are too hard on Melynchuk. He is still adjusting to his body and he plays an effective game when he keeps it simple. He will be very good next year I believe. I remember people disliking Aulie early on because they perceived his body awkwardness as something he would not get used too.

sbtatter
04-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I think people are too hard on Melynchuk. He is still adjusting to his body and he plays an effective game when he keeps it simple. He will be very good next year I believe. I remember people disliking Aulie early on because they perceived his body awkwardness as something he would not get used too.
I second that opinion 100%. In 2 years time people will be liking Brodie as they like Aulie now.....

Vik
04-30-2009, 04:09 PM

It's funny. I couldn't believe how high people were on him last year and I can't believe how harsh they've been this year. And you make a good point. Tall and gangly fellers always take longer to grow into themselves.