PDA

View Full Version : Who'll be back next season??

ScottyWazz
04-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Well, this past one is over and now it's time to assume and think about what's going to happen with next year's squad. Here's a list of who I think will and will not be on the team next season. And if they're not, the reason why:

Who's Back:
G- Daniel Spence

D- Karl Alzner
D- Justin Falk
D- Dustin Kohn
D- Dylan Yeo
D- Alex Plante

F- Ryan White
F- Keegan Dansereau
F- Darryl Moscaluk
F- Riley Merkley
F- Brodie Dupont
F- Steve Covington
F- Issac Reid
F- Brett Sonne

Who's Not
-Ryan Getzlaf (AHL/NHL bound)
-Andrew Ladd (AHL/NHL bound)
-Justin Pogge (ECHL/AHL bound)
-Jeff Schultz (ECHL/AHL bound)
-Konstantin Pushkarev (ECHL/AHL bound)
-Brett Carson (There's so many times you can get hit in the melon and still play with any kind of consistancy. If he returns, he'll be on the roster)
-Darryl Yacboski (I have an odd karma thinking he's got something like Dan Blackburn had a few years back with his shoulder. If he returns, he'll be rostered)

Alright-- what do ya think folks?? Who you got staying and going??

BWK
04-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Hey Scotty. This isn't meant as critisism bbecause I just watched how well your defense played in the series against Brandon.

Having said that, do you think that Calgary will be happy to go into a 72 game season with that young of a defense corp or will one or two of those guys be gone via the trade route for a more experienced Dman?

Tito9
04-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Scultz and Pogge are going to be 19 next year. Which means they can't play in the AHL under league rules. Bergeron, and Fleury were league exceptions because they had previous NHL expierence. So they have to come back next season unless they play in the NHL ( if there is one).

ScottyWazz
04-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Well BWK-- I think it all depends on who's the GM is next season. This is based on the Kisio principle. However, I think every team is going to have to go through the bumps sometime or another. With more experience, the kids will actually do well. With anchors like Kohn, Yeo, and even Alzner (who I think plays beyond his years) will help guys like Falk and Plante out.

However, if (when) Kisio gets the ax, you can throw all that logic out the window. I'd like to see the Hitmen get some experienced d-men, but I think trying to get these kids some time early in their development will help them out in the long run.

tazndevil
04-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Goalies -- Pogge and Spence are back in net---so we are set there.

Defence -- Probably the strongest part of the Hitmen for years to come.

I see them as:

Justin Falk
Karl Alzner
Dylan Yeo
Dustin Kohn
Darryl Yacboski
Jeff Schultz.
Brett Carson will be traded or released.

Forwards -- Probably need an upgrade here for some scoring punch

I see them as:

Ryan White
Keegan Danserau
Riley Merkley
Darryl Moskaluk
Brodie Dupont
Steve Covington
Isaac Reid
Brett Sonne
Roman Tomanek (may play in the AHL/ECHL-but I don't see it)
Andrew Ladd has a small chance of retuning, but not likely.

Looks like our 20's will be Moskaluk, and Yac with an opening for a third.

I would make some major changes with this club, 90% being up front, but would wait until AT LEAST the 20 yr old deadline day to see who's available.

Any thoughts?

Taz

ScottyWazz
04-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Scultz and Pogge are going to be 19 next year. Which means they can't play in the AHL under league rules. Bergeron, and Fleury were league exceptions because they had previous NHL expierence. So they have to come back next season unless they play in the NHL ( if there is one).

Well-- seeing as there's no agreement in place between the NHL and CHL-- then they could go play there. That being said-- if an agreement is reached for the NHL and CHL-- then we'll see how it all goes.

But that's also where the ECHL comes into play. To my knowledge, there is no age limit for the ECHL. If the Caps and Leafs wants to see what these kids can really do-- they will probably ship Schultz to South Carolina and Pogge to Pensacola.

If the NHL comes back-- I can assure you the Caps could even look at Schultz going up ASAP because they are hurting big time in the blueline department and need someone quick to help stop the bleeding.

Mileflames
04-21-2005, 04:33 PM
G- Garrett Zemlak (If Pogge is in the AHL)
G- Daniel Spence
G- Justin Pogge

D- Karl Alzner
D- Justin Falk
D- Dustin Kohn
D- Dylan Yeo
D- Alex Plante
D- Jeff Schultz
D- Chris Ickert
D- Micheal Young (If Schultz is in the AHL)

F- Jordan Braid (If Pushkarev is in the AHL)
F- Jason Gregroire
F- Curtis Gordon
F- Kirk Belyk
F- Ryan White
F- Keegan Dansereau
F- Darryl Moscaluk
F- Riley Merkley
F- Brodie Dupont
F- Steve Covington
F- Issac Reid
F- Brett Sonne
F- Roman Tomanek
F- Konstantin Pushkarev

tazndevil
04-22-2005, 10:55 AM
WOW the Hitmen are set on defence for a while.

Lets not forget that we also have Keith Seabrook (yes Brent's little brother).

Too bad they are all so young.

I totally forgot about Zemlak in net. Could Spence possibly be traded, along with some of our young D for scoring help right now?

What are some possible trades that we would like to see?

Personally, I would like to see someone like Rabbit, or Setogucci out of Sask. Might cost a lot, but it might be worth it.

Other opinios?

Taz

tazndevil
04-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Realistically, I can't see the Raiders and the Blades making a trade.

However a 3 way deal is always a possibility. I see a bunch of changes in the Hitmen's horizon.

Hopefully they learned from this yerar not to wait until the deadline to do something.

Taz

DoubleDee
04-22-2005, 12:46 PM
-Darryl Yacboski (I have an odd karma thinking he's got something like Dan Blackburn had a few years back with his shoulder. If he returns, he'll be rostered)

He will be back!

I believe the injury and surgery he had was more on the same lines to what Patrick Wellar had done between the 2002/2003 - 2003/2004 season.

ScottyWazz
04-22-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't think they'll get rid of Spence, Taz, at least I hope not.

He's a sound goalie who needs some playing time to prove what he's worth. Only playing one game in the last 42 doesn't give you much room to improve.

Tito9
04-22-2005, 02:14 PM
But that's also where the ECHL comes into play. To my knowledge, there is no age limit for the ECHL. If the Caps and Leafs wants to see what these kids can really do-- they will probably ship Schultz to South Carolina and Pogge to Pensacola. [QUOTE]

How many 19 year olds are there in the ECHL from Western Canada. I can't think of one. Its not a developmental league for 19 year olds.

ScottyWazz
04-22-2005, 03:54 PM
It's a development league, period. Who cares what age the kids are?? When the NHL comes back, you'll see plenty of young talent in the ECHL.

There are several 19 and 20 year olds in the ECHL, right now. Steven Goertzen is one who comes to mind. Glenn Olson another one, as well as Dylan Stanley. It's not much, but you'll more than likely see more after the Lockout.

But knowing the Caps as I do-- if they play next season; I wouldn't be surprised to see Schultz up on the big squad for the beginning of the season, if not the whole season.

Hitmen1
04-23-2005, 10:49 AM
I think its a difficult to predict who will be back with the Hitmen next season. Alot of it will depend on whether Kisio returns for another season. Obviously I think we will need to add some more scoring up front, and hopefully land one more vet defenceman.

Ergo
04-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Kisio will probably be back. By going as far as they did Kisio virtually guaranteed his job.

The question is will he be able to convince Ken King that he should do the GM duties only, and hand over the coaching duties to Evason?

Furback
04-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Tito what rule are you talking about? there is 19 year olds aloud in the ahl? I dont know what your talking about please explain.

ScottyWazz
04-23-2005, 04:51 PM
When the NHL and the CHL had an agreement, there was a bylaw (I think) that stated any player who still had CHL eligibility and didn't make the NHL would be returned to their CHL team.

However, since there is no agreement between the NHL and the CHL, then the rule is really non-existant.

Tito9
04-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Exactly what Scotty said. Except with overage players. They are allowed to not Return to their former CHL team if they did not make the big club. And go play minor pro hockey The deal in done entirely with the CHL, so u can see former college players like Ryan Kessler in Manitoba as a 19 year old same with Europeans.

In the crowd
04-23-2005, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=ScottyWazz]Steven Goertzen is one who comes to mind. Glenn Olson another one, as well as Dylan Stanley.QUOTE]

I believe tito said 19 yr olds, not 19 and 20 yr olds, all these guys are older than 19

Furback
04-23-2005, 07:11 PM
spezza was only 19 did not make the big club and got sent down to the ahl in 2002. I know there is a rule for 18 year olds but 19 year olds not sure about.

peatfan
04-26-2005, 02:28 AM
Anyone who has played 4 whole seasons in junior hockey is eligible to be sent to the minor pros. Spezza played in the OHA as a 15,16,17 and 18 yr old so as a 19 yr old Ottawa haad the seldom seen choice of NHL,AHL or OHA. Otherwise a player 19 and under must go back to his junior team as part of the NHL-CHL contract. Another exception os for university players as talked about earlier. So next year Pogge and Schultz will be NHL or HITMEN. Another exception this year was Bergeron and Horton as they were deemed NHL players who beause of the lockout were eligible for AHL instead of the juniors