PDA

View Full Version : Apr 8 2009 Giants 0 Chiefs 1 - Rd 2 Game 4

dondo
04-25-2009, 11:11 AM
with whlfans being down for so long I am going to have to try to find my old recaps and post them here-- bear with me -- hopefully I have them archived properly. Thanks HAF and Billy Blade for keeping the site and changing over to a better server -- yeah baby!

Crank up the way-back machine Mr Peabody!

D

Tic saw more rubber, but not more traffic and he needed to see a hell of a lot more traffic. What's the point of being on the PP and standing at the side of the net with NO-ONE in FRONT?? Where's the cycle? Where's the traffic? The Giants were still being kept to the outside by the stifling Chief checking, but they also didn't battle hard enough to either draw a penalty or get a better scoring chance. I also think that long change really hurts as its almost farther than any other arena as both benches bleed into the two zones.

Well Tokarski stole that game, but he didn't have to be excellent merely solid. The boys did not make it tough except for a few times in the game and on Tic you have to make it tough. Boring as hell to watch the first ten minutes were okay and filled with hitting and chances, but when the Chiefs scored their goal everyone got very tentative and the Chiefs went into shut-down mode. As boring as most of the game was the Chiefs got the job done and tied the series. Kelowna squeaked out a win tonight tying their series as well. Both of the Eastern teams have commanding leads with the Hitmen already done , sweeping the 'canes four straight and the Wheaties leading 3-0. Thank gawd we won't ever have to watch Beatch in the Dub again, good riddance you lazy sack of scheise. Refs were pretty gutless in this one, imo.

Rnd 2 Gm 4

Chiefs Clip Giants
Vancouver 0 Spokane 1

Don Robinson

Only one goal got past Tyson Sexsmith tonight, but it happened to be the only goal of the game and it was a stinker from a sharp angle that never should have found the net. Dustin Tokarski posted a 41 save shut-out as the Giants peppered him from all angles, but not really from any sweet spots or with good traffic in front of the net. The Chiefs did an excellent job pushing the Giants to the outside and limiting odd-man rushes. They nursed their one goal lead from the first period to a one goal shut-out win for Tic. It is now a 3 game series as both teams have won at home so far. The Giants will need to take game 5 handily to regain some confidence and some of that momentum they had driving the Chiefs net. The Giants failed to get inside the coverage enough and force scoring chances in Spokane. They seemed content to play perimeter hockey and did not seem to be willing to pay the price to put the puck in the net.

The refs kept the whistles in the pocket for almost the whole game, but then pulled them out again in the third to call the same kind of soft penalties they let go earlier in the game. Either it’s a penalty or its not a penalty, but allowing obstruction and holding for two periods and then deciding that you are going to start calling it in mid-third is poor, to say the least. Very negligent officiating. The second too many men penalty they called on the Giants had the “extra” player with his skate already on the floor of the bench. How you call that crap is beyond me. Anyway the Chiefs played a solid defensive game, boring the crap out of anybody who cared to watch. The game once again lacked emotion and was not an example of stellar hockey in the least. Tokarski stood on his head, but was never really challenged except maybe by Jonathon Blum’s blasts from the point late in the game. The Chiefs opened the scoring and got that all-important first goal of the game on the PP at 12:31 of the first. Both teams had come out hitting hard and taking it to their opponent, but a too-many men call on the Giants lead to the Chiefs breaking the stalemate. Tyler Johnson fired the puck from about the goal line, banking it through Sexsmith who allowed the bad angle shot to trickle past him. A horrible goal to allow and as it turned out a losing goal. Other than that Sexsmith put on a fine show as he tried to will his team to get back into the game.

The Giants were 0 for 2 on the PP, while the Chiefs went 1 for 4 – once again scoring late on their first man-advantage. The Giants out shot the Chiefs 41-18, but it didn’t matter as they never really forced Tokarski to have to make brilliant stops. Some games that goal Sexy let get by wouldn’t mean as much, but in this game it was the GWG. Sexy needs to make sure that he eliminates the weak goal from his game entirely. On the other side of the puck the boys made the other guy’s goalie the first star, by not driving the net and not putting traffic in front of Tokarski. Jonathon Blum ripped one past Tokarski early in the game as the whistle for a seriously marginal off-side was blown. Still looked to me on the replay like Wright still had a skate on the line. That’s as close as the Giants got to tickling the twine tonight. This series will now go at least six games and there will be home games at both arenas again.

The Giants allowed the Chiefs to out-work them and out-hustle them to loose pucks again tonight and that just can’t happen. I for one need to see the boys stop coasting onto loose pucks, but rather skating their asses off to get there. The Chiefs did not really even try to score for two and a half periods, sitting back, putting in one forechecker in a 1-2-2 formation. Basically trap hockey and it was boring as hell. I wish the Giants would have scored if only to get all the players skating harder and force the Chiefs to not play the trap. Game 5 goes Friday night at the Coliseum. Puck drops at 7:30pm PDT.

Three Stars

1) Dustin Tokarski
2) Trevor Glass
3) Tyson Sexsmith