PDA

View Full Version : Apr 10 2009 Giants 2 Chiefs 3 - 4th OT - Rd 2 Game 5

dondo
04-25-2009, 11:14 AM
with whlfans being down for so long I am going to have to try to find my old recaps and post them here-- bear with me -- hopefully I have them archived properly. Thanks HAF and Billy Blade for keeping the site and changing over to a better server -- yeah baby!

Crank up the way-back machine Mr Peabody!

D

The Giants lost a heart-breaker they couldn't afford to lose. Their play was enough to delay the loss, but not enough to drive for the victory and in the end that's why they lost. Too many boys were floating on the night and the Giants played their patient game until it killed them. They need to find another level of hockey to play, because the Chiefs are already there. They didn't play a bad game, just not good enough and they did not gut it out every single shift to a man.

Kane showed up for a good deal of the game, but even he was guilty of taking the easy path and not driving hard every shift to either get that excellent scoring chance or draw the penalty.

The Giants were also too predictable in my mind and even had they taken the win last night, I would be saying the same. They are such a great team I really need them to find that playoff level of game, which so far has been eluding them.

Rd 2 Gm 5:

Chiefs Grind Giants
Vancouver 2 Spokane 3 - 4th OT

Don Robinson

The marathon game ended with a soft own goal, which saw the Giant defender come back and knock the puck into his own net at 6:05 of the 4th OT. Up ‘til that point both teams seemed to be playing not to lose as opposed to going for the win. The Giants did not have the intensity or hunger they needed in this game past the first period, they sent in one forechecker most times during the second and third and got burned with a second short-side shot from of a bad angle for the tying marker. Both Dustin Tokarski and Tyson Sexsmith stood on their heads at times in the game and throughout most of the OT periods; however, in the end Sexsmith allowed two goals that shouldn’t have had much of a chance and Tokarski was beat with some great effort. I find it very disappointing that the Giants did not bring that kind of effort and intensity in the second and third and we might not have had OT at all. The Giants played their patient game to a point where it became pointless. They lacked a huge amount of drive and were not supporting the puck in rush situations. Had they pulled this one out in the end, which they certainly had the opportunity to do, I still would have said that they were a bit fortunate. On the other side of the puck the Chiefs for the third game in a row, out-hustled and out-worked the Giants at both ends of the arena. They were first to most of the loose pucks and checked effectively getting between the man and the puck. The Giants frequently checked behind the player, allowing him to play the puck and gifting easy breakouts throughout the game.

The Giants opened the scoring on the PP, off of a gritty solo effort by Evander Kane. Early in the game Casey Pierro-Zabotel, on one of his very few effective shifts, got the puck down to Kane in the corner. Kane stormed the front of the net getting stripped of the puck, but getting it back and having the patience to out-wait Tokarski before lifting it over the sprawled goalie. More effort like that from more Giants and the game is salted away early. The Chiefs tied that up on a PP of their own a few minutes later. Tyler Johnson scored an eerily familiar goal on Sexsmith who for the second time in two games allowed himself to be beat from the goal-line cheating away from the post. Bad goal to give both nights.

Johnson scored a nice goal, picking a small hole, but Sexy should have been square to the shooter and on his feet for that play and he wasn’t.The Giants got that one back on another PP toward the tail-end of the first. Jonathon Blum got the puck to Kane who had good chance driving the net, something I wish he had done past the first period. Tokarski kicked out the shot into the slot and Brent Regner coming down the slot ripped the puck just under the cross-bar to get the go-ahead goal. The Giants spent the majority of the second and a good portion of the third trying to protect that one-goal lead, as the Chiefs did in Spokane. In the end it wasn’t enough as the Chiefs managed to get a pretty weak goal to go past Sexsmith. I have to shake my head at how such a solid, technically exceptional goalie like Sexsmith can continue to allow some of these soft goals in important games. There is no way in hell that a shot from a bad angle should beat a goalie to the short-side twice in a tightly contested game. Really there is just no excuse.

All of Sexsmith’s great work and spectacular saves throughout the rest of the game, and there were a ton, all go for naught because of two soft ones that an elite goalie keeps out and an excellent yet unfocused goalie misses. Now its takes two to tango, because if the Giants step up their game like they did throughout the season and get Sexsmith the win those goals don’t mean as much and the lone bad goal in game 4 doesn’t either, but the other side of the equation let their end down as well. The Giants had far too many floaters out there on the ice. They got caught playing not to lose, instead of driving and fighting for the win. They sat back into a trap-style formation and sucked all the energy out of the building by not pressing the Chiefs in their own end of the ice. CPZ floated throughout the game, coasting onto loose pucks, putting in a very minimal effort, not taking the body and basically returning to his very questionable form of late last year and not the juggernaut that won the scoring title this season. CPZ seems to not show up in big games and that saddens me, because he should be able to find that in himself. He won’t have a career in the AHL, let alone the NHL if he keeps that kind of play up past Major Junior. There were others who were MIA or just not as intense and motivated as I have seen them play as well and in a game like this its got to be all hands ready to play or they lose.

Sure you might say they could have won this game in OT. There was quite a bit of red iron being struck, but in the end they didn’t and the Chiefs who were a far more focused and intense team, who did not give up on the puck, who skated hard onto loose pucks got the win off of a cheesy goal did. That marker came directly off of soft play in the offensive zone by the Giants. They had what appeared to be a brilliant scoring chance and yet didn’t take the shot made yet another soft pass and the puck was on a stick going the other way down the ice. The Chief had no chance as he cut across the crease. Sexsmith was already across waiting for the back-hand, but the Giant defender coming back knocked the puck off of Gal’s stick and into his own net. A heart-breaking ending to a tough game, but one that should really have been no surprise to those watching. It wasn’t to me, sadly. It felt like it was just a matter of time before the Chiefs got one to go and that’s not how a regular and knowledgeable fan should ever feel about his team in an OT situation. It should be - just a matter of time before the home team gets the goal, but their play did not merit that faith and that’s really what gives them the loss. Not the bad goal, but the lack of hunger and drive to win. To have to win with all their heart and soul and for the past three games this team has not had that and could find themselves dropping four straight after winning the first two.

Kane clanged one off the iron in the third with a good back-hand from the slot and that in itself is indicative of the game itself. The Giants failing to capitalise on their chances. Not to say the Giants played a bad game. Their D was excellent coming back and diffusing dangerous situations. Other than the two poor goals, Sexsmith was brilliant at times, turning away glorious opportunities from the Chiefs and stoning them down the stretch and in OT to preserve the tie. The forwards played a great regular season game, but they did not elevate their game to a playoff level and that’s what really killed them in this one. The kind of patience Don Hay preaches gets you so far and after that you have take some chances and really push for those goals, the other problem with that kind of patient game is that it is very predictable for the other team to break down. The Giants are an excellent hockey team and seriously have the components to pull this one out of the fire and advance to the third round, but they have to bring intense playoff hockey to the rink. They have to be willing to pay the price and gut it out every single shift. The Chiefs are willing to do this and have proved that the past three games. They have raised their level of hockey to a playoff level, they are pressing hard at all ends of the ice and they are consistently out-working and out-hustling the Giants. The G-Men need to match that and more, they need to discover what Giants hockey is when the post-season rolls around and realize how much more effort and commitment are needed when those crunch games come around. This crew still needs to find that extra something to push them over the top and if they do discover what that is they could go all the way. In the end this loss might be the best thing that ever happened to them as a team, because they will need to find their very best come game 6 to beat the Chiefs in Spokane. There are no excuses. They have to win the next two or go out in the second round for the second time in two years.

The Giants went 2 for 6 on the PP, getting both of their goals in the game on the man-advantage. The Chiefs were 1 for 5. The Giants barely out shot the Chiefs 62-57 in the second longest game in franchise history. Both goalies had to be excellent to get their teams to that point. The GWG was a ugly one, as is often the case in long OT contests, in which a Giant defender coming back knocked the puck into his own net. Not much more to be said. Their effort was not enough to hold onto and build up on their lead. They need to win two straight to advance and that’s going to be a hell of a task unless they bring their game to another level and I mean all of them. Game 6 is in Spokane and the puck drops at 6pm PDT at the Veterans Memorial Arena.

Three Stars

1) Dustin Tokarski
2) Tyson Sexsmith
3) Evander Kane