PDA

View Full Version : Will Drew George be a Pat?

nivek_wahs
04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Looks like it is getting interesting....

From Mitchell Blair's blog.... http://blair-necessities.blogspot.com/2009/04/someone-enlighten-me.html

Someone Enlighten Me

I'm hoping someone can provide an answer on this for me because I'm stumped. Someone please tell me why an aspiring hockey player would choose to go the NC double A route instead of playing in the Western Hockey League if he is a bonafide prospect. Case in point is Regina's Drew George. Drew is on the Notre Dame Hounds midget team that just won the Telus Cup. The Regina Pats own his rights and are hoping he will play for them instead of playing in the BC Junior League with hopes of then playing NCAA hockey in the U-S. The Leader-Post's Greg Harder did a great job in documenting George's story in Tuesday's edition.
George had a great season in Wilcox as he was 2nd in league scoring with 78 points. He then had 10 points in the Sask midget Triple A playoffs. He had seven points in four games at the Telus Cup qualifier in Swift Current and was named MVP and then had three goals and 10 points at the Telus Cup including a three point effort in the final. This kid sounds like he is very good. A career in the NHL could be beckoning.
When I look at the WHL and its scholarship program, I don't know how someone would not want to play at the major junior level knowing the pros are just one step away. There is no better league than the WHL to become developed for the ranks of professional hockey. With Regina being George's home, it means he wouldn't have to play far from home as some do, if you play a year in the WHL, you get a year's tuition paid for if you decide to go to University once your career is done. To me the decision would be crystal clear.
I'm sure the reasons that Drew and his parents have are valid ones and maybe I haven't got enough information in front of me but I really find it inexplicable as to why someone with Drew's talents would want to take the road he is taking when the other road seems to be so much better. When I say this, I am not being critical of the Georges, its just a question that I think needs to be asked. As I said, maybe they don't like the direction the Pats are going, maybe there is something about the WHL they don't like, maybe some other promises have been made. If that's the case, I'm OK with it but I am confused as to why you wouldn't want to play in the best league possible to get ready for the professional game if you have the talent that this kid seemingly has.

nivek_wahs
04-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Greg Harder's story that was mentioned in Blair's blog.....

Prospect to bypass Pats
By Greg Harder, Leader-PostApril 27, 2009

REGINA -- Drew George believes in happy endings.

The Regina native helped author one Sunday when the Notre Dame Hounds captured the Telus Cup with a 4-0 win over the Calgary Buffaloes in Selkirk, Man. George had two goals and an assist in the game, his final outing at the midget AAA level.

"Finished it in style," offered the 17-year-old forward. "It's unbelievable. It hasn't really sunk in yet that we're the top team in the nation but it feels great. It's what we worked for all year.

"I don't think you could draw up a story any better."

Now it's time to turn the page.

George's WHL rights are held by the Regina Pats, who added him to their protected list last year after a strong performance as a walk-on in training camp. The Pats would like to add him to their lineup next season, but George is pursuing another route. He plans to join the BCHL's Vernon Vipers in hopes of playing his way into an NCAA scholarship — and hopefully a pro contract down the road.

George said he chose the NCAA option so he would have "an education to come back on." He's apparently sold on heading south in spite of the fact that WHL teams offer a year of free education at a Canadian post-secondary institution for every season of service.

"(If you get an education) you have a life after hockey if things don't work out well," he said. "I had considered (joining the Pats) early on, being at home, close to the family and having everyone being able to watch. But me and my parents sat down and thought the college route was the best route for us. For sure it was tempting (to stay here). It crossed my mind quite a bit. I guess it's not completely out of the question but the way I'm leaning I think I'll be heading the college route."

George clearly gave himself some options by putting up big numbers in Notre Dame this season, finishing tied for second in the league with 78 points, including 27 goals, in 43 games. He added five goals and five assists in eight playoff games, then was named the MVP of the Telus Cup prairie regional qualifying tournament after potting four goals and three helpers in four games. He added another three goals and 10 points in seven games at the national championship.

"I think I played pretty well all season," said George. "I had a couple slumps here and there but I think it helped me (spending one more year in midget), just proving that I can be a points guy and get the job done."

In the end, George's success benefited the team — and vice versa.

"We started off the season really well," he added. "There was always that special feeling within the team that this could be the group of guys that could take it all the way. It's just an amazing feeling. I can't believe it's happening right now."

gharder@leaderpost.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

nivek_wahs
04-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Not really Drew George related more of a bantam draft thread topic but it is about recruitment.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/pats-hockey/Pats+expect+problems+recruiting+players/1547146/story.html

Pats don't expect problems recruiting players
By Greg Harder, Leader-PostApril 29, 2009 9:01 PM

REGINA -- Speed. Character. Skill.

Those are the three main traits the Regina Pats are targeting as they prepare for Thursday's bantam draft — regardless of locale.

"We've always had pretty good success staying around Saskatchewan but I think we're comfortable going outside the province," said GM Brent Parker. "We've done our homework in terms of talking to guys who might have recruiting issues. B.C. is an easier market now that we made such inroads in Chilliwack and Vancouver. Having those two teams in the mainland, it has really changed the dynamic of where those players want to play. They were maybe a little poisoned with the thoughts of which league (the WHL or BCHL) was better. I think now they know clearly that the Western league produces the best players, produces a great scholarship program and gives you the best opportunity to be a pro."

Pats director of scouting Todd Ripplinger credited one of his staffers, Rob Gallamore, for identifying players in B.C. who are willing to head east. If faced with a choice between identical players from B.C. and Saskatchewan, the Pats will still lean towards the local guy. That said . . .

"If there's a spot where there's a B.C. guy, I'm not afraid to take a guy from there this year," noted Ripplinger. "There are about six or seven guys who have told us they're not committed. We'll leave those six guys alone. We still have 30 other guys on our list from B.C. Our homework is covered well in B.C."

The Pats have been burned in the past by selecting B.C. players like Max Gordichuk (first round, 2001), Mark Dekanich (fifth round, 2001) and Kyle St. Denis (fifth round, 2005), which is why they've been hesitant to go back. That said, their success rate in B.C. the past few years — while on a smaller scale — has been much better.

"There are some guys (this year) who have indicated they would prefer to stay on their side of the mountains," said Parker. "There are always going to be some every year but the number is certainly lessening. And it's not a case of them saying they won't come to Regina as much as they don't want to come to our conference. We haven't had any, 'No, my son won't play in Regina.' They just want to stay in B.C. or closer to home. I appreciate the fact they were honest. There has been a time when it hasn't always been that way. And we've had a couple who've said, 'We'd like him to be closer to home but if he's drafted by Regina we'd be fine with that.' They want him to play in the best league and if that means they have to come out here then they're OK with that."

Parker dismissed the suggestion that Regina might have more recruiting issues this year due to the team missing the playoffs and the uncertainty of the coaching situation.

"It hasn't been an issue at all," he insisted.

Ripplinger noted that a few people have made inquiries, but it hasn't been a focal point for potential recruits.

"That's out of my hands," Ripplinger said of the fallout from last season. "I just have to sell our program. We have a strong history here of developing players. Have we won a championship? No. You need a lot of things to go right to win. Hopefully we can find those formulas soon. But if a person doesn't want to play here for that reason, we don't really want them anyhow. Come here, make a difference, help us win."

gharder@leaderpost.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-29-2009, 09:46 PM
This is like that Braaten kid all over again. These kids think that they have to 'settle' for junior if they arent standouts in midget, but once they have a great season, then its all about the NCAA and their no contact, 40 games all year on weekends. Good luck to him being discovered or drafted as a smaller fish in a bigger pond (a league with 18-24 year olds) as opposed to a bigger fish in a smaller pond with 16 to 20 year olds.

Seriously...so much for having some more pull in the ND program. I am starting to wonder if there are any positives for having Derkatch as the coach.

Arthur Fonzerelli
04-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Good reasons to go the NCAA route are longer development time, degree at the end (if you are smart enough to graduate). The WHL fails to mention that they stipulate in their education contracts that a player becomes inelegable to collect the WHL scholarship if they sign a pro contract before using the scholarship. The problem with this is that some guys only last a couple years in pro for numerous reasons and if that is the case going to school becomes necessary for them to move on in life but the money will now come out of their pockets. If they played their two years pro in the ECHL or CHL or some other lower pro league they won't have any money to invest in an education.

There are obviously advantages and disadvantages to both routes but I'm sure that the choice has been well thought out. Besides lots of players after being drafted by NHL teams drop out of NCAA schools and play a year in the dub. You can't do it the other way around because once you sign in the dub you can't play NCAA.

Neither option is perfect, but personally my impression is that unless you are a top 3 player on a dub team, you are just another poorly paid employee who can be moved from team to team at the owner's whim.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
05-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Good reasons to go the NCAA route are longer development time, degree at the end (if you are smart enough to graduate). The WHL fails to mention that they stipulate in their education contracts that a player becomes inelegable to collect the WHL scholarship if they sign a pro contract before using the scholarship. The problem with this is that some guys only last a couple years in pro for numerous reasons and if that is the case going to school becomes necessary for them to move on in life but the money will now come out of their pockets. If they played their two years pro in the ECHL or CHL or some other lower pro league they won't have any money to invest in an education.

There are obviously advantages and disadvantages to both routes but I'm sure that the choice has been well thought out. Besides lots of players after being drafted by NHL teams drop out of NCAA schools and play a year in the dub. You can't do it the other way around because once you sign in the dub you can't play NCAA.

Neither option is perfect, but personally my impression is that unless you are a top 3 player on a dub team, you are just another poorly paid employee who can be moved from team to team at the owner's whim.

Well to be fair, do you really need the scholarship if you get a pro contract? The money from an NHL contract alone should easily pay for more than 1 year/2 semesters at any school in Canada that they want to go to. But thats only if they dont last in pro, which usually doesnt happen for players worthy of a contract. And you obviously get the scholorship for every year you play in the WHL if you dont sign a pro contract.

Basically, if you want to play pro hockey, you play in the CHL. The style emulates that of North American pro hockey, and the NHL more than the NCAA does. Players can always fall back on the scholorships if they dont go that far, as you know. Im not an expert on the subject, but I cant think of any cases where a player comes up empty handed after playing WHL hockey, with the exception of players dropping out of the league after a year or something. Even if they dont have that much success, they would probably still get 'X' years worth under their belt at least.

Wildeyes
05-01-2009, 01:13 AM
I see your point but look at it this way if you are not a game breaker you wont be drafted in the NHL just for the size of the draft pool in the world

look at the stats how many draft picks go unsigned by the team that draft them.
Whats left for the player
ECHL IHL CHL thos league pay per week if you play
in the IHL on a championship team a friend of mine was only paid around 400-500 per week.
Considering the cost of living down there not alot to live by they pay for the rent and meals on game day only the rest is up to you.

No disrespect to the canadian univ. But a NCAA scholorship schools could get you a better job along the way just because of the NCAA rep.
The main thing is he wants to have an education down the road that is a head strong kid keeping Life in his head not just hockey

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
05-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Being drafted is different from being signed (obviously). Many players that get drafted but dont get signed can still take advantage of the scholarships from the years played in the league. Its not like getting drafted excludes you from taking advantage of the university.

Though when a player gets signed, they are almost guarenteed a year in the AHL or higher, along with recieving a hefty signing bonus. I cant think of any players off the top of my head that got signed, and just **** the bed when they hit the pros (to the point they become ECHL fodder).

As for schools, obviously NCAA universities generally hold more prestige, but it all depends on what you want to do, and where you want to do it. Canadian universities might have what the kid wants too, though that might not be the case here. I still think its a little fishy that George wanted to be a pat last year, but then after a very successful midget season, wants to go NCAA.

Wildeyes
05-01-2009, 09:57 AM
maybe he just doesnt want to be a pat maybe if his right would get traded to a bc team he would probably play

nivek_wahs
05-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Rod Pedersen is reporting that George is officially not going to be a Pat....

Meanwhile the Pats lost out in the running to obtain the services of Notre Dame Hounds forward Drew George. The Regina product has agreed to join the BCHL's Vernon Vipers in the hopes of securing an NCAA scholarship.

I think if the Pats had a coach in place.... George might be a Pat. Time will tell as he might have a change of heart as he is from Regina. Who knows.

nivek_wahs
05-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Greg Harder (Slap Shots) has the Vernon Vipers press release....

http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/archive/2009/05/19/george-chooses-vernon.aspx

Tidball
05-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Well it says he was a listed player, so the pats didnt really lose anything, and now have a free list spot. Gotta look at the positives.

patsdude114
05-20-2009, 06:38 PM
He isnt that big of a loss i dont think.. hes a late bloomer, reason i say this is cuz if he was such a high touted player he would of been noticed during his Bantam draft year. Which he failed to do... how many players come into the WHL as a list player at age 18 & r a elite player???? my guess is very few...

Im not taking anything away from his ablities just i dont think he is all crack up to be what they say. He would be on the NHL draft radar, even as a late round pick.. which he isnt.

Drew George is starting to sound so much like that Braateen kid last year out of saskatoon, he went & played in the SJHL hoping for a NCAA schorlarship which he still hasnt got. These kids or should i say parents shoot for the stars for there kids instead of going for something that sounds like a forsure thing. Even if he played 2 years in the WHL as a 3rd line player (maybe higher) he still gets 2 years paid in post secondary schooling anywhere in canada.... hmm that would be the way to go wouldnt u think both for a hockey sense & schooling sense.... WHL (CHL for that matter) play 68 to 72 games a season & still very high on acedemic's for the kids. Sounds like he will only be a CIS player at best anyways so as crude as this may sound George go play in the BCJHL hoping for a NCAA schorlarship

Im thinking this is his parents decision hoping for a free ride, guess they dont want to watch there kid play hockey anymore during the winter, and shooting for the stars with the NCAA route. NCAA doesnt compare in a hockey sense to the CHL.

I think what Hockey Canada must do to keep these players in the CHL playing hockey is make it that u must play in Canada to even get recognition for any type or Hockey Canada Programs.

grainbear
05-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I think the school runs a great hockey program. However, it seems to me on the outside looking in that the hockey leadership tends to direct their youngsters into the NCAA for a complete different reason. That being that they don't want to lose their top end players from Midget programs to the WHL because it takes the top players away from their schools triple aaa programs while they are 16 . For a catholic school which has a ethical outlook have they ever examined this issue? That is the question, and I could put the St. Mary's program in the same kettle of fish !

Trav
05-21-2009, 01:04 AM
seeing how Jordan Messier and Brooks Macek both went to Tri Citys this past season after playing for the Hounds and now next season Benson will be going to the Blades after playing for Notre Dame.

But I could be wrong.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
05-21-2009, 07:12 PM
im not surprised. He doesnt want to play for the pats, and who can blame him right now?

The pats need to get their **** together and maybe then we can attract talented players to report. Of course, with Parker still here that might be tough to do.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Apparently, George is now practising with the pats right now and 'considering his future', whatever that means. Perhaps he could play for the pats after all...

patsdude114
12-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I would take George on the Pats, he would be a great addition to this team and wouldnt cost us anything... maybe it would get Favereu sent down to the SJHL as well. We could use some added punch into the lineup since we are losing Eberle for about a month to the World Juniors.

But reading the story in the LP yesterday about george sounds like he only went to the BCJHL for a chance to play in the telus cup. He played 4th line in 25 games he had 17 pts, that speaks alot for his skills. Now that his rights have been traded to the celler dwellers he doesnt want no part of the BCJHL. This could reflect back onto his character and could hurt his chances of any NCAA scholarship at all. Him being a regina kid having his best friend in Mitchell playing on the club could be a good thing. He has played minor hockey with Eberle as well and played with Weal at Norte Dame so he knows players on the club which could help him sign a WHL contract. This kid can play in the WHL both Parker and Hunt have said this. Maybe him practiceing with the pats this week will help ease him into it and consider it much more.