PDA

View Full Version : Hitmen v Rockets for the League Championship

Hitmen1
04-30-2009, 11:42 AM
The quest for Western Hockey League supremacy is down to two teams as the Husky WHL Eastern Conference Champion Calgary Hitmen meet the Kal Tire Western Conference Champion Kelowna Rockets in the 2009 WHL Championship series.

The Hitmen and Rockets will now face off in a best-of-seven series for the chance to hoist the Ed Chynoweth Cup and earn a berth at the 2009 MasterCard Memorial Cup tournament in Rimouski, QC.

Here's a look at the 2009 WHL Championship series match-up:

Calgary Hitmen vs Kelowna Rockets

2008-09 head-to-head regular-season record:

Calgary: 1-1-0-0, 2pts
Kelowna: 1-1-0-0, 2pts

The Hitmen and Rockets met up twice during the 2008-09 regular season – both times at the Pengrowth Saddledome in Calgary – with the teams each winning once.

Jason MacDonald scored the game-winner and added an assist to lead the Hitmen to a 4-3 win over the visiting Rockets in the first encounter on December 14th. The Rockets were without defenseman Tyler Myers and sniper Jamie Benn while the Hitmen were missing Brett Sonne. All three were with Canada’s National Junior team at the time.

Game Summary

The Rockets edged the Hitmen 2-1 in Calgary on February 28th in the second meeting between the teams. Collin Bowman scored the game-winner while Mark Guggenberger turned in a 34-save performance as the Rockets handed the Hitmen just their third regulation loss at home all season.

Game Summary

CALGARY HITMEN, Husky WHL Eastern Conference Champion

2009 Playoffs top scorers:

Joel Broda 12gp-8g-10a-18pts
Kyle Bortis 12gp-3g-14a-17pts
Brandon Kozun 12gp-6g-9a-15pts
Kris Foucault 12gp-10g-4a-14pts

How They Got Here…

-Defeated the Edmonton Oil Kings 4-0 in 1st round.
-Defeated the Lethbridge Hurricanes 4-0 2nd round.
-Defeated the Brandon Wheat Kings 4-0 in Husky WHL Eastern Conference Championship series.

The Hitmen are making their first appearance in the WHL Championship series since 1999. Brad Moran and the Hitmen defeated Kyle Calder and the Kamloops Blazers 4-1 to win the 1999 WHL Championship. The Hitmen went on to lose the Memorial Cup Championship game in overtime to the Ottawa 67’s.

After putting up the second-best regular season in WHL history, the Hitmen have plowed their way through the first three playoff rounds with a perfect 12-0 record, tying a WHL record for most consecutive playoff wins.

With a deep and talented group of forwards and a skilled and mobile defense corps, the Hitmen have one of the most powerful offenses the WHL has seen in several years. While names like Brett Sonne, Joel Broda, Brandon Kozun and Kyle Bortis put up big numbers during the regular season, it’s been depth players like Kris Foucault, Ian Schultz and Tomas Karpov who have made significant offensive contributions in the post-season. Either way, the Hitmen have the ability to generate scoring right through their line-up.

Defensively, the Hitmen have been strong. The WHL’s third-best defensive team during the regular season, the Hitmen were near unbeatable through the first two playoff rounds versus Edmonton and Lethbridge. They were tested significantly more by the high-octane Brandon Wheat Kings during the WHL Eastern Conference Championship series, they were able outscore the Wheaties in the end. A strong-skating, big-bodied defense corps featuring NHL prospects Paul Postma, Alex Plante, Keith Seabrook and Michael Stone can also generate significant offense from the back end.

Goaltender Martin Jones signed an NHL contract with the Los Angeles Kings after being a free agent invitee to their training camp in September. Throughout the 2008-09 season, Jones showed exactly why the Kings locked him up, posting a 45-5-3-1 record to go with a 2.08 goals-against average and a .915 save percentage during the regular season. The 19-year-old from North Vancouver, B.C., has continued that solid play during the playoffs. Jones may not have to single-handedly win games for the Hitmen, but he always maintains a steady, reliable presence in the team’s net.

Keys To Success:

-Crash and Bang. The Hitmen have plenty of size both up front and on the blue line. They will need to match the physical play of a Rockets team that also boasts a number of imposing players, particularly on the blue line.

-Secondary Scoring. The Hitmen boast 11 players with 10 or more points in the post-season (Remember, the team has only played 12 games). While the likes of Sonne, Bortis, Broda and Kozun usually find a way to produce, the Hitmen will need continued strong offensive play from Kris Foucault, Ian Schultz, Carson McMillan and Bostjan Golicic if they are to keep pressure on the Rockets’ strong defense.

-Buckle Down the Blue Line. Calgary’s defense was tested by a dynamic and potent Brandon Wheat Kings’ offense. The Hitmen’s defense corps will need to buckle down even more if they are to shut down big, strong group of Rockets forwards, particularly the red-hot Mikael Backlund, sniper Jamie Benn and two-way forward Cody Almond.

KELOWNA ROCKETS - Kal Tire WHL Western Conference Champion

2009 Playoffs top scorers:

Jamie Benn 16gp-11g-17a-28pts
Cody Almond 16gp-8g-14a-22pts
Mikael Backlund 13gp-9g-7a-16pts
Ian Duval 16gp-9g-5a-14pts

How They Got Here…

-Defeated the Kamloops Blazers 4-0 in 1st round.
-Defeated the Tri-City Americans 4-2 in 2nd round.
-Defeated Vancouver Giants 4-2 in Kal Tire Western Conference Championship series.

The Rockets are making their first appearance in the WHL Championship series since 2005. Shea Weber and the Kelowna Rockets defeated Eric Fehr and the Brandon Wheat Kings 4-1 to win the 2005 WHL Championship. The Rockets went on to lose all three round-robin games at the 2005 MasterCard Memorial Cup.

Pre-season predictions had the Rockets among teams that were expected to compete for a championship this year. After an inconsistent first half of the season, the Rockets were one of the best teams in the WHL over the second half of the season. So far, the Rockets have carried their dominant form right through the first three playoff rounds, having already beat two teams – Vancouver and Tri-Cities – who put up more than 100 points during the regular season.

Up front, the Rockets boast some of the WHL’s elite talent. Jamie Benn, the WHL’s playoff scoring leader, has been a dangerous trigger man all season, and can dominate physically with his size and strength. Swedish forward Mikael Backlund has become more and more prominent in the Rockets’ offense as the playoffs have gone on, while line mates Ian Duval – a former Hitman – and Cody Almond provide strong two-way play. The Rockets will look for more secondary scoring from the likes of Stepan Novotny, Kyle St. Denis and Lucas Bloodoff to match Calgary’s scoring depth.

Defensively, the Rockets have been incredibly tough to beat in the post-season. Towering blue liner Tyler Myers has perhaps been the WHL’s best defenseman in the post-season, while Tysen Dowzak, Collin Bowman, Brandon McMillan and Tyson Barrie have all helped the Rockets neutralize the powerful offenses of Tri-Cities and Vancouver. Myers and company will have to maintain their high level of play if they are to contain the Hitmen’s deep offense.

Goaltender Mark Guggenberger has proven himself to be one of the WHL’s top goaltenders with his strong and steady play in the 2009 playoffs. The 20-year-old from Richfield, MN, has already won goaltending battles with two elite netminders in Chet Pickard and Tyson Sexsmith. Like his WHL Championship series counterpart, Martin Jones, Guggenberger plays behind a rock-solid defense who can limit top-quality scoring chances. However, Guggenberger continues to show he can come up with big saves when called upon.

Keys To Success:

-Put On the Work Boots. The Rockets are up against a Hitmen team that prides itself on a strong work ethic. If the Rockets are to be successful in this series, they will need to match the Hitmen’s tremendous work ethic to win those crucial puck battles.

-Power Play Potency. The Rockets possess one of the most dangerous power play units in the WHL. One of the only chinks in the Hitmen’s playoff armor was exposed when they came up against the Wheat Kings’ potent power play. If the Rockets can make the most of their man advantage opportunities, they will have that much better of a chance to win the series.

-Road Rage. The Rockets were one of only four teams to come away with two points from a game in Calgary this season. In fact, they were the last team to beat the Hitmen on Saddledome ice when they pulled off a 2-1 win in late February. The Rockets will have to find success in Calgary at least one more time if they want to win the Ed Chynoweth Cup.

Series Schedule

#1 - Kelowna @ Calgary; Friday, May 1 (7:30pm MT)
#2 - Kelowna @ Calgary; Saturday, May 2 (7:00pm MT)
#3 - Calgary @ Kelowna; Monday, May 4 (7:00pm PT)
#4 - Calgary @ Kelowna; Wednesday, May 6 (7:00pm PT)
#5 - Kelowna @ Calgary; Thursday, May 7 (7:00pm MT)**
#6 - Calgary @ Kelowna; Saturday, May 9 (7:00pm PT)**
#7 - Kelowna @ Calgary; Monday, May 11 (7:00pm MT)**
** - if necessary

http://www.whl.ca/2009-whl-championship-series-preview-p128258 (Championship Preview)

IMO, these are the two best teams in the league and the Rockets should be a tough opponent for the Hitmen. I still believe the Hitmen will win the series but I do believe the Rockets will end the Hitmen winning streak at some point in the series. Hitmen in 6.

DunnerStunner
04-30-2009, 02:48 PM
I too believe Calgary will take the championship. Calgary in 6

dagley
05-01-2009, 10:22 AM
GO HITMEN, rocking out my playoff mohawk now! Gotta root for my hometown boys!

hitmanfan
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
GO HITMEN, rocking out my playoff mohawk now! Gotta root for my hometown boys!

Well TOOT TOOT, there is lots of room on the train!

Hitmen1
05-01-2009, 09:59 PM
The winning streak is over and the Rockets have taken a 1-0 series lead after a 3-1. The Hitmen controlled much of the play in the 2nd period but in the 3rd the Hitmen didn't really get going until after the Rockets had taken the lead. Some unfortunate luck tonight as Bortis hit the crossbar late and then the Hitmen hit 3 more posts. I wasn't impressed with the Hitmen tonight, and I would expect to see a much better team tomorrow night, which is suddenly a very big game for the Hitmen.

armypower
05-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Well we finally lost one....Thought it was an entertaining game even though the score wouldn't indicate so...Thought Guggenberger should have been a star,he was a bit lucky with a few posts but made some key saves....Was real impressed with the Rockets,their work ethic and the way they take the body as well as a solid defense corps....Should be a good one tomorrow,we'll be in a bit of a bind if we don't pull it out but I totally expect us to be ready.......I still say the Hitmen in 6....

Rockets1231
05-02-2009, 03:29 AM
Mission accomplished for Kelowna, they needed the split in Calgary and got it to steal home ice advantage. Calgray's a great team, I mean 12-1 in the playoffs is amazing. Before the series I said either Kelowna in 6 or Calgary in 7 depending on whether or not Kelowna earned the split in the first 2, they did, so I'm sticking with Rockets in 6. That may be slightly biased :) Either way this will be a great series, and the Memorial Cup Champs will be from the WHL I'm quite sure of that.

DunnerStunner
05-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Could have been 4-2 hitmen, if only they could bury their chances. I thought the first Rockets goal should have been stopped. :( Also I found that the Rockets competed harder for loose pucks and such.

The hit of the playoffs imo was, Seabrook on Benn. Holy schnikes!

Go Hitmen Go!

Hitmen1
05-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Well now I am worried. The Hitmen an okay first, a very good second but forgot to come back out for the 3rd. Kudos to the Rockets who are taking almost everything away from the Hitmen. Guggenberger was very good tonight particularly in the 2nd period. Big test for the Hitmen now. Down 2 games, can they win 4 of 5? It would be a real shame for this season to go down the drain like this.

Rockets1231
05-02-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm definitely surprised at this turn of events. I thought maybe Kelowna could take one in Calgary, but 2? Huge advantage to Kelowna now, but I'm definitely not counting out the Hitmen, far from it. Calgary has just played OK so far and that's a scary thought. They have been kinda streaky. It really seemed to me tonight that when Kelowna got those 2 early 3rd period goals that Calgary didn't really know what to do, I mean they haven't really been in this position at all this year, it's now the same problem for them, they need to go into Kelowna and take at least one, but really I think they need to take both if they are to win this series. The Hitmen are on the ropes, can they come back? I guess we'll see what they're really made of.

DunnerStunner
05-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Rockets1231- I just want to thank you for not coming on this forum and bashing the hitmen like some teams fans do, we appreciate it...

The Rockets continue to battle harder for a full 60 than the Hitmen.

Guggenberger is outplaying Jones.

Rockets are blocking point shots, basically the Rockets are doing all the little things right.

Time to go into there barn boys and take back home ice...

armypower
05-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Well.we see what were made of now,we need to take 2 in Kelowna which is gonna be a mighty task, but I still believe in the Hitmen......Kelowna's defense is real strong and yes Guggenberger is outplaying Jones for sure....That has to turn around if we want this series....I'm actually shocked we lost both games here..
The Hitmen have had no adversity all year until now...Can they pull it out??
The Rockets have a great home record as well. should be interesting....Go Hitmen!!

sbtatter
05-03-2009, 12:03 PM
The one weakness (the only weakness against us!!) we saw in our series with you (Bdn) was that Jones looked ordinary. We scored lots of goals on not many shots. But I sure didn't see you losing the first 2 at home. Are you rolling 6 d-men or mostly the big 4?

Hitmen1
05-03-2009, 01:17 PM
The one weakness (the only weakness against us!!) we saw in our series with you (Bdn) was that Jones looked ordinary. We scored lots of goals on not many shots. But I sure didn't see you losing the first 2 at home. Are you rolling 6 d-men or mostly the big 4?

Lowry really rolls the big 4 and adds the other 2 in every now and then. The Rockets are getting the garbage goals that you need in the playoffs. The goals where you have to battle in front of the net and bang home rebounds, the Hitmen are still trying to be the flashy team and score beautiful goals off the rush. And they haven't played a whole 60 minutes yet, which was common throughout the season but in the regular season but right now they must play for 60 minutes and be prepared to battle for a full 60 minutes.

Rockets1231
05-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Well Dunner, it would be really stupid of me to do so, since regardless of who wins this series Calgary is still the top team in the CHL in my opinion. I mean they lost 13 games all season, and only 9 in regulation. Bottom line is that Kelowna has won 2 games, it's takes 4 to win the Title, it was entirely unexpected, but there's no reason Calgary won't go and take 2 in Kelowna and even this series up.

dondo
05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Lots of posts and Guggie has certainly had his share of puck luck .. but the Rockets are handling the Hitmen the way they handled us (the Giants). A lot of us thought it was lack of effort on our team's part, or lack of size. Calgary doesn't have that excuse. The Rockets defensive game is far better than I thought it might be, but their hustle on the back-check is a lot of what's making this tougher on the Hitmen than I figured it might.

The Rockets just want it more right now and since the trade deadline have been the best team in the Dub. Guggenberger who was acquired around that time looks to be the real deal with 30+ wins. Backlund has added to an already talented line-up and Myers (although I feel quite cheap at times) is playing extremely well.

Hitmen need to get more traffic in front of Guggie and be right in his face. Amazing speed on Evan Bloodoff I didn't think he had.

dondo
05-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Lowry really rolls the big 4 and adds the other 2 in every now and then. The Rockets are getting the garbage goals that you need in the playoffs. The goals where you have to battle in front of the net and bang home rebounds, the Hitmen are still trying to be the flashy team and score beautiful goals off the rush. And they haven't played a whole 60 minutes yet, which was common throughout the season but in the regular season but right now they must play for 60 minutes and be prepared to battle for a full 60 minutes.

Curiously similar to what I was thinking about the Giants in our series versus the Rockets.. and they did take periods and sometimes games off, but a lot of credit has to go to the Rockets who are clicking with all the components right now.

patsdude114
05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Well i have picked Kelowna to win thie series but i never for 1 second thought they would be up 2-0 after the 1st 2 games in Calgary.

I have always said Calgary's biggest question mark is between the pipes. Jones hasnt been tested all year. Did Jones ever steal a game for the Hitmen this season??? My guess (& very strong opinion) is NOPE!! he never had to steal a game cuz the Hitmen would score 4, 5, 6 or even 7 goals a game.

Things are alot different now up against Kelowna, would be the same if they were playing Vancouver as well. But if they were playing Vancouver i would of been picking Calgary in 6.

Calgary can beat you in skill, but Kelowna beats you in work effort & the skill is there as well. Calgary has never had to play a full 60 minute game all season. Wow are they in for a shocker now.

Either team who wins this series though will go on to win the Memorial Cup.. Our league will be well represented with either Calgary or Kelowna.

armypower
05-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Calgary has to come out banging bodies right off the get go,just like the rockets did to us here....Especially Schultz!! clrkthjclrkthj And Jones has to be way better if we have any chance

Hitmen1
05-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't even know what to say right now. I know that Kelowna is a good team but the Hitmen are just not playing at all. They were terrible for 45 minutes or so of this game. The last 15 minutes they played really well and just didn't get to any of those rebounds that Guggenberger gave out. How lucky has Guggenberger been? Several times he had no idea where the rebounds where, the Hitmen just couldn't get them in the net.

Rockets1231
05-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Wow...just wow, 3-0 series lead for Kelowna, simply stunning. I'm really starting to feel sorry for Calgary, I mean they have absolutely no puck luck in this series. Shot from centre, Guggenberger has no idea where it is, it hits the post and bounces to him. The hockey Gods seem to be against Calgary in this series. Kelowna's defence has been absolutely suffocating in this series and the playoffs. These look like the Rockets of 5 years ago where they were content to win 1-0. Not like the Rockets of this year, with all that offence. But hey, I'll take a 1-0 win anytime, especially against a high-powered Hitmen attack. Sorry, Calgary you had a good run, but I don't think even you can come back from a 3-0 deficit. I'm sure it won't be a sweep though.

caniac # 2
05-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm am shocked it is 3-0, I had hitmen in 6, the Rockets are doing to the Hitmen what Chief's did to the Canes last year in the final and they seem to be getting all the bounces and being rewarded for all their hard work. nuff said. vci22

dondo
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
well not sure what game Kirk and Savage (two of the worst refs in the Dub by a large margin) were watching, but the sheer number of holds and pick plays by the Rockets in that game were pretty obvious from my perspective. Not that the Rockets didn't play a really solid game, but for them to only take ONE (PP worthy) penalty in the game is a freaking joke.

I'm not trying to take away the Rockets thunder as they have played some good hockey, but if their fans think they played that clean of a game, think again. I really wish the refs would be less inclined to put the whistles away when rushes are quelled by taking out the guy without the puck. Just so you guys know I ma not a Rockets or Hitmen fan, just calling it as I see it.

Rockets1231
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
well not sure what game Kirk and Savage (two of the worst refs in the Dub by a large margin) were watching, but the sheer number of holds and pick plays by the Rockets in that game were pretty obvious from my perspective. Not that the Rockets didn't play a really solid game, but for them to only take ONE (PP worthy) penalty in the game is a freaking joke.

I'm not trying to take away the Rockets thunder as they have played some good hockey, but if their fans think they played that clean of a game, think again. I really wish the refs would be less inclined to put the whistles away when rushes are quelled by taking out the guy without the puck. Just so you guys know I ma not a Rockets or Hitmen fan, just calling it as I see it.

I'm not a fan of Dub officiating by any means, but I actually thought the refing was pretty good last night. Calgary definitely weren't saints last night, they had their fair share of cross-checks and elbows that weren't called too. I'd rather they let them play, then slow the game to a halt and make phantom calls.

dondo
05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm not looking for phantom calls R1231.. I'm looking for the refs to call the Rockets on their obstruction -- I'm hoping that they call the game in front of them instead of the one in their heads this time around

Rockets1231
05-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm not saying you were, all I'm saying is that I'd rather them call less and let the teams play, then to call every little thing and stop the flow of the game. There were 3 penalties that resulted in powerplays in Game 3 (not including the late one after the empty netter). I thought the game was exciting because there wasn't a penalty called every 30 seconds. The 3rd was great end to end action once Calgary started picking up their game. Let the teams play, after all it's the playoffs. Call the dirty plays, the cheap shots, etc, but let the little picks and the pushing and shoving in front of the net go. Above all though call it even, not call something on one team, then when it happens 5 mintues later for the other team let it go. That's happened a couple times throughout the playoffs and there's no excuse for it. Consistency is the key.

Hitmen1
05-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Finally a good effort from the Hitmen tonight. I told my gf that if they win tonight they would win the series and I believe it. Nice to see the power play get going and Marty was solid.

armypower
05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
I believe the hitmen will win tonight ,then we'll see what happens in Game 6....
They seemed to be getting their shots off quicker last night not giving Kelowna the chance to block as many shots....Jones needs to be like he was last night,I think guggenberger will crack uinder pressure if we keep getting pucks to the net....I still Believe..Hitmen in 7.....Everyone make alot of noise at the dome tonight!!!!

LifelongChiefsFan
05-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Quick turnaround with the game in Calgary tonight. I wasn't able to watch the game last night, but it appeared that they finally made Guggenberger look human. I've been very surprised how well he's played since coming to Kelowna. I'm still used to him getting lit up while playing for Portland, but I think even Pickard would have sub par numbers with the Hawks. Hopefully the Hitmen come out strong tonight with lots of confidence and make a series out of this. It would make things more exciting anyway. Good luck tonight!

Rockets1231
05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
The refs in this game have been a complete joke! I'm sorry, Calgary's played great, but they're are definitely getting help from the stripes and anyone who says otherwise isn't watching the game. Our guy nearly gets decapitated and it's only 2, are you kidding!? First goal should have been disallowed and Guggie was interfered with. Then there's the the too many men non call last game and the suspiciously early whistle on an apparent coincidental roughing penalties. I mean come on, the Hitmen are a great team they don't need help to win. I have no problem with Kelowna losing because they were outplayed, and tonight they are getting outplayed, but the Dub needs to wake up before someone gets hurt. Calgary's going to win tonight and they should, they deserve to, but when you break a players visor because of a hit to the head it's 5 end of story. I just hope no one gets hurt because of sub-par officiating, see you Saturday. If Kelowna is going to lose this series, at least it's to Calgary.

dondo
05-08-2009, 11:51 AM
open ice hit -- your guy has his head down and its a shoulder, no elbow.. sorry but it shouldn't have even been a penalty -- and no it wasn't charging -- quick button hook and no four strides or leaving his feet the hit was clean.

By the books even its a clean hit, but recently the various leagues seem to think they need to crack down on head shots, even when the player being hit has their head down. If this becomes a trend then you will see players skating through the neutral zone with their head down "so they can't get hit", the same way they deliberately turn their back to the play "so they can't get hit" -- last time I looked that was hockey. Its a rough game and if you don't keep your head up you are fair game and to be blunt that's the way it should be.

I could say a lot of the same things about the games where the Rockets weren't getting tagged for any calls that should have been called. I think Calgary got a bit of a break from the zebras last night (Kirk and Savage making up for the fiasco they called in the first game in Kelowna), but it wasn't blatant.

The difference was that the Hitmen have seemed to have solved the Rockets suffocating D and are getting to the front of the net. I originally predicted a Calgary sweep as I didn't feel that Guggie was good enough to thwart the Hitmen's wicked offensive punch. Will the Hitmen actually be able to "sweep" after losing three games straight? Could be an interesting finish if the Cowtown heroes force a game 7.

fan1
05-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Congrats to the Rockets. The series had everything... for this fan.I will remember the call in OT. Pretty weak.

Rockets1231
05-09-2009, 11:35 PM
First off Congrats to Calgary, you played great and battled right to the bitter end. Jones was amazing in this series, I thought he might steal the game tonight, it was starting to look like it, he was making brilliant save after brilliant save. Bit unfortunate that the Championship Winning Goal came on the PP. It was a penalty for sure, but not one that I think should be called in overtime, especially with the series on the line. Both teams had their fair share of posts and lucky bounces tonight, Kelowna dominated the shot clock, but I thought the game was a lot closer than this showed, it could have went either way. I'm glad Kelowna pulled it out cause I sure didn't want it going back to the Saddledome for a Game 7. Congrats again to the Hitmen on a great season. Dub Champs baby, wooooooooo!!!!!!

AlanC
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Bit unfortunate that the Championship Winning Goal came on the PP. It was a penalty for sure, but not one that I think should be called in overtime, especially with the series on the line.

It was a crappy call since you can see Duval embellished the hook, so perhaps it should have been two for hooking to Plante, and two for diving to Duval.

But, and I'm a Hitmen fan here....who cares about the call. Kelowna kicked Calgary's butt up and down the ice for 68 minutes and there is absolutely no question they deserved to win the game. However they won it, they deserved to win it. Period....any beefing about the call by Hitmen fans is unfortunate sour grapes. By rights this game should have been 6-2 or 7-2 for the Rockets in regulation, not 3-2 in OT.

Good luck to the Rockets in Rimouski....if they play like they did in games 1, 2, 3, and 6 of this series, I can't see anyone beating them.

fan1
05-10-2009, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't say sour grapes, if you aked Calgary's goalie that they didn't deserve to win and they got out played ?? i would think Jones would have a different answer. The call he made, can be made every shift of of every hockey game played. Can't change it, but a big game in a big serious like this. who will be remember Kelowna for winning and Calgary wondering where did that call come from with the game on the line.

Hitmen1
05-10-2009, 01:29 AM
A disappointing end to a great season. I am not really sure what to say but the better team did win the game tonight. Jonesy did all he could to steal the win but it wasn't meant to be. As we have all got use to, another poor call by the refs cost the Hitmen in OT, not that they would won the game, but at least let them play. I think the whole series was won by the Rockets in game 1. They went into the Dome and proved to themselves that the Hitmen could be beat and really for 4 + games were the better team in the series. For the Hitmen, not facing any adversity throughout the season hurt them in this series. I will have more tomorrow or the next day. Watch for my playoff wrap up on my blog as well. The boys made me proud this year. Hopefully next season is more of the same.

armypower
05-11-2009, 09:07 AM
It's over, credit to Kelowna ,they played hard and deserved the championship...
Congrats to the Hitmen for a great season, thought this was our year for our first Memorial cup,hopefully we won't have to wait long for one....Didn't like the call on Plante in overtime,hate to see the season end that way...We'll lose a few guys next year but am expecting a good year again,always entertaining hockey to watch...Hopefully Kelowna can carry this on and bring a Memorial cup
home.....

dondo
05-12-2009, 08:01 PM
congrats to Kelowna and great season for the Hitmen -- the curse of the Scotty Munroe continues.. Good series to watch though, some really good hockey played by both teams. In the end I think the Rockets simply wanted it more and were willing to do what was necessary to make that happen.

Chief Jeff
05-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't think it is a coincedence that the teams with the most American players have now won the last two league titles. Elite level players are now coming out of California and other states and to stay competive you will HAVE to at least look at these kids. Blum, Reese, Stretch, Long, Bowman, Wahl, Johnson, Harper, etc are all elite players in this league and if you don't have any American players you are putting yourself at a competive disadvantage.

AlanC
05-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't think it is a coincedence that the teams with the most American players have now won the last two league titles. Elite level players are now coming out of California and other states and to stay competive you will HAVE to at least look at these kids. Blum, Reese, Stretch, Long, Bowman, Wahl, Johnson, Harper, etc are all elite players in this league and if you don't have any American players you are putting yourself at a competive disadvantage.

It's not a case of teams not wanting American players. The problem is those American players either not wanting to play in the WHL or only wanting to play for certain teams.

If more American players were willing to play anywhere in the WHL, like many Canadian players are, every team in the league would have them. And there surely are some American kids who just want to play in the WHL and don't care where, but there's also a lot of them who will only play in certain places, and the Prince Alberts and Moose Jaws of the league aren't among them.

I can tell you for a fact that 21 of the 22 teams in the WHL have at least one American on their protected lists (only Brandon doesn't) and 15 of those teams have 5 or more Americans - in other words, at least 10% of their protected lists. There are tons of American players out there being wooed by the WHL....most of them just don't report except to a few teams. Why do you think that is?

Bottom line, most WHL teams are not ignoring American talent. American talent is ignoring the WHL.

The Wheatiemaniac
05-13-2009, 04:33 PM
It's not a case of teams not wanting American players. The problem is those American players either not wanting to play in the WHL or only wanting to play for certain teams.

If more American players were willing to play anywhere in the WHL, like many Canadian players are, every team in the league would have them. And there surely are some American kids who just want to play in the WHL and don't care where, but there's also a lot of them who will only play in certain places, and the Prince Alberts and Moose Jaws of the league aren't among them.

I can tell you for a fact that 21 of the 22 teams in the WHL have at least one American on their protected lists (only Brandon doesn't) and 15 of those teams have 5 or more Americans - in other words, at least 10% of their protected lists. There are tons of American players out there being wooed by the WHL....most of them just don't report except to a few teams. Why do you think that is?

Bottom line, most WHL teams are not ignoring American talent. American talent is ignoring the WHL.

I couldn't agree more. I would love to see Mr. McCrimmon draft some of the great US talent available. But we(Brandon) have the longest travel schedule in the league, being the Eastern most team. It seems they do like to pick their own destiny. The other issue might be an issue of their education. I'm not sure what high school credits policy is when you leave the country. But teams like Tri City, Seattle and Spokane seem to have no problem convincing these kids to report to camp. They also have the option of the USHL if they get drafted by a CHL team they don't want to play for.

They hold all the cards...whether we like it or not.

dondo
05-13-2009, 07:16 PM
don't agree in the least -- sure there's some untapped talent from the States, but to say that the teams won because of their American players is just short-sighted and wrong. Look at the quality Canadian kids and you will see they far out-weigh the 'Mercs.

The Rockets won because of a certain Swede and monster Canadian player. Americans didn't enter into it.. I have never heard such a ridiculous theory in my life and I have lived a long(ish) time. The Bloodoff boys had a lot to do with that victory as well -- stop idolising players from down south who are the cream of their particular crop... the players coming from Cali or Colorado are top of their game, top .05% of the players down there-- lots of Canadian kids out play them being not the very top of their respective bantam leagues.

Your theory holds no water whatsoever, nice try, but really try again. I'm not saying ignore the States for prospects, but don't even think that more American players means better hockey, because it simply is not true.

The 'mercs have badly(really badly) lost the past the two world juniors, even with one of my favourite players Jonny Blum at the helm and in the line-up. American players tend to be show-boaters and in the end teams win championships not individuals -- Americans glorify the individual and don't recognize the contributions of team effort, Canadians do and that's why we win all the freaking time.

:skeptical

LinkGaetzFan
05-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Americans glorify the individual and don't recognize the contributions of team effort, Canadians do and that's why we win all the freaking time.

:skeptical

Generalizations such as this don't exactly help you make your point. I know some Canadians are sensitive about Hockey but come on, that's like me generalizing that all Canadians are elitist socialists who boo the US anthem at any given chance.

Frankly I'm surprised it took this long before US kids started upping their collective skills. Hockey should have caught on long ago, it's a far superior sport than any other team sport IMHO.

'Mercs huh... is it OK if I call you Cans? Or 'Dians? Sounds rather derogatory to me considering the context, correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think it matters where a kid is from, how he plays is the important thing.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
05-14-2009, 11:36 AM
It was a crappy call since you can see Duval embellished the hook, so perhaps it should have been two for hooking to Plante, and two for diving to Duval.

But, and I'm a Hitmen fan here....who cares about the call. Kelowna kicked Calgary's butt up and down the ice for 68 minutes and there is absolutely no question they deserved to win the game. However they won it, they deserved to win it. Period....any beefing about the call by Hitmen fans is unfortunate sour grapes. By rights this game should have been 6-2 or 7-2 for the Rockets in regulation, not 3-2 in OT.

Good luck to the Rockets in Rimouski....if they play like they did in games 1, 2, 3, and 6 of this series, I can't see anyone beating them.

I agree with your analysis. The ref saw the play from behind the players and from there I think it would look like a hook. From the front of the play it was barely a hook and a bit of a dive. But I also agree that Calgary had no right to even be in O/T.

dondo
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Generalizations such as this don't exactly help you make your point. I know some Canadians are sensitive about Hockey but come on, that's like me generalizing that all Canadians are elitist socialists who boo the US anthem at any given chance.

Frankly I'm surprised it took this long before US kids started upping their collective skills. Hockey should have caught on long ago, it's a far superior sport than any other team sport IMHO.

'Mercs huh... is it OK if I call you Cans? Or 'Dians? Sounds rather derogatory to me considering the context, correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think it matters where a kid is from, how he plays is the important thing.

It wasn't meant to be derogatory - sorry if it sounded that way. You don't like 'Mercs? Kind of like mercury and mercenary all rolled up into one ;) -- embrace it, you'll love it.

Actually I do stand by that generalization (and yes I do recognize it as a generalization, but none-the-less more true than not.) Tell me that the American fan does not glorify the individual more than the game or the team. Its all about superstars to most of the folks down south that I have encountered.

Hockey as you know is a team game, that oh so famous lack of (get ready for more generalizations) ego (read: politeness) that Canadians are purported to have -- lend itself to playing well as a team player.

You have to admit LGF that the past two US World Junior squads, lived and died by their individual stars and their lack of a complete team game kept what was supposed to be a highly skilled squad out of the medals two years running.

That's all I was talking about -- and although it was generalizing, its "generally" true.

you mean were aren't elitist socialists? vci34 who knew :thumb:

actually the whole thing comes from the fact that more American players on those squads does not translate to better teams, considering the bulk of players on that team are from Canada (being a Canadian league) and in the case of the Rockets Backlund and Myers were the two that shone -- they're definitely the two that beat the Giants, along with Cody Almond.

I agree that where a kid is from is immaterial and its the skill that matters, but there are also cultural tendencies and a lot of Canadian kids grow up on skates so they have an edge in some ways, if only through sheer numbers of players to choose from.

I've proudly worn Jonny Blum's jersey since his 16th year.. there was something about that kid right off, that I needed to embrace. really nice kid, great person and very good player. The full package, but that's not because he's from California, it's cause he's a dedicated hard worker.

AlanC
05-15-2009, 03:22 PM
actually the whole thing comes from the fact that more American players on those squads does not translate to better teams, considering the bulk of players on that team are from Canada (being a Canadian league) and in the case of the Rockets Backlund and Myers were the two that shone -- they're definitely the two that beat the Giants, along with Cody Almond.

FWIW, Tyler Myers was born in Texas and lived there until he was 10, when the family moved to Alberta.

He has dual citizenship and had the option to play for either USA or Canada internationally; he chose Canada but could have just as easily chosen the USA. Would being an "American" player instead of a "Canadian" player make any difference at all in his game or whether he's a "team player"? No.

There's plenty of good & bad, cocky & humble players on both sides of the border.

The Wheatiemaniac
05-15-2009, 06:02 PM

I believe the "Mercs" reference is referring to a short form of the Tri City Americans.

Both our countries have produced some exceptional hockey players. US has put forth the likes of Phil Kessel, Mike Modano, the Hatcher boys, Roenick and so on....

Canada has produced guys you might have heard of on the news named Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Messier, Phaneuf.......we could go back and forth forever.

Frankly I totally agree with Dondo in saying yes the US have some fine young talent that could do well in this league and help some teams with depth. But by no means are we gonna go out of business without them.

With all due respect to my Southern neighbours, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic and the USA all say they caught up to us.

Fact is, you had to catch us cuz we've always been and always will be the leaders of the pack!!!

P.S. We're not 'Dians.....WE'RE CANUCKS, BABY!!!

WHEATMAN
05-16-2009, 12:45 AM
And I know I may get some flake for this... I always figured the CHL should consider American players imports. Frankly, I don't see why Hockey Canada allows an American (who outside of Russia is our greatest hockey rival) to be a non-import. Surely Hockey Canada's number one priority should be to produce the greatest number of Canadian players, should it not? In my opinion, Americans should be considered imports in the same way Russians, Finns, Swedes or any other non-Canadian hockey player is.

Rockets1231
05-16-2009, 12:12 PM
And I know I may get some flake for this... I always figured the CHL should consider American players imports. Frankly, I don't see why Hockey Canada allows an American (who outside of Russia is our greatest hockey rival) to be a non-import. Surely Hockey Canada's number one priority should be to produce the greatest number of Canadian players, should it not? In my opinion, Americans should be considered imports in the same way Russians, Finns, Swedes or any other non-Canadian hockey player is.

I've always thought the same thing, but considering that there are American teams in the CHL it's really hard to impose such a rule, because I really don't think it would be fair to the American teams, after all they wouldn't be imports to them. They would also have to change the import rules to allow more than one import, although that wouldn't be much of a problem I suppose.

hitmanfan
05-16-2009, 12:37 PM
I've always thought the same thing, but considering that there are American teams in the CHL it's really hard to impose such a rule, because I really don't think it would be fair to the American teams, after all they wouldn't be imports to them. They would also have to change the import rules to allow more than one import, although that wouldn't be much of a problem I suppose.

You are presently allowed 2 imports

dondo
05-16-2009, 01:10 PM
FWIW, Tyler Myers was born in Texas and lived there until he was 10, when the family moved to Alberta.

He has dual citizenship and had the option to play for either USA or Canada internationally; he chose Canada but could have just as easily chosen the USA. Would being an "American" player instead of a "Canadian" player make any difference at all in his game or whether he's a "team player"? No.

There's plenty of good & bad, cocky & humble players on both sides of the border.

I guess you watched game 1 of the Mem Cup round-robin as well, eh? .. yeah I wasn't aware that he was born in the US of A, but his development years were in Alberta, so a little from column A, a little from column B.

The American players as an import idea is an interesting one, but really the influx of talent from the States has yet to really warrant that imo.

As I said before the players being selected from the States are the very top of their game and like the Euros, have to show interest coming to play in the Dub before being picked or signed. The Euro draft has always been a bit suspect, as the teams find who they want beforehand and establish a contract before even "drafting" the player. Its not really a draft, per-se except that higher pick teams get first choice on who to approach.

Chief Jeff
05-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah the Euro draft is a joke, And I'm saying this as a Chiefs fan who have probably benefited as much as anyone from the flawed structure. The last thing in the world the WHL needs to do is copy that for US players.

WHEATMAN
05-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah the Euro draft is a joke, And I'm saying this as a Chiefs fan who have probably benefited as much as anyone from the flawed structure. The last thing in the world the WHL needs to do is copy that for US players.

I disagree. Considering Americans as imports works for me. The only potential barrier would be what happens with the U.S. teams? After all, the CHL should be about developing Canadians first and foremost.

AlanC
05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
I disagree. Considering Americans as imports works for me. The only potential barrier would be what happens with the U.S. teams? After all, the CHL should be about developing Canadians first and foremost.

You Canadian protectionists do realize that there's quite a number of Canadian players who are developing while playing hockey in the USA, don't you? All those Canadian kids in the NCAA are benefiting from the U.S. system just as much as the U.S. kids in the CHL are benefiting from the Canadian system.

I don't have numbers but I would bet there are a lot more Canadians in the NCAA than there are Americans in the CHL.

If we Canadians shut the CHL's doors to Americans (and calling them "imports" without increasing the number of allowed imports would be doing just that), why shouldn't they also ban Canadians from the NCAA? Is that what we want? Then what happens to the late-blooming Canadian kids who currently aren't ready for the WHL at 17 or 18 but who develop into fine players in the NCAA at age 21 or 22? They'd be outta luck because there's no place in Canada for kids to play elite-level amateur hockey at age 21, 22, 23, etc.

I'm 100% in favour of letting American kids play in the CHL, with no restrictions....basically, the current system works as far as I'm concerned. The more high-end U.S. talent we get into the CHL, the better the overall calibre of hockey is for everyone. And if you really tap that U.S. pipeline (so far we're just scratching the surface there, most American players still go to the NCAA), then you'll have more than enough talent to justify further CHL expansion - which in turn opens up more spots for Canadian kids too. Everyone benefits.