PDA

View Full Version : Thrower & Neilsen ~ Best Buds

Mamasita
05-08-2009, 12:09 AM
The boys have been best friends and neighbors since they were 5 years old. They couldn't be happier to be prospects of the Saskatoon Blades. They played hockey together for many years in the same small town. Here is an article of one of the adventures they shared. (Brodyn didn't actually go to the Pursuit of Excellence with Dalton ~ he attended a different academy)

Local boys to play in Russian hockey tournament
Part of first North American team to be invited By
Reporter
Joel Harris Special to the Chief

Two 13-year-old Squamish boys have been invited to be a part of the first North American hockey team to be invited to a prestigious Russian tournament.

Dalton Thrower and Brodyn Nielson, who attend the David Roy Pursuit of Excellence program in Kelowna, were invited to the team by coach Mark Vershinin. The boys came to know Vershinin through Josh Dickman who also goes to the hockey school. “It’s a fantastic opportunity. It’s quite an honour,” said Murray Thrower, Dalton’s father.

The tournament will be held in St Petersburg, from April 28 to May 4, will involve 12 games in 20 days. The Nikolai Puchkov Memorial Tournament – named after the legendary Russian national player who passed away last August – will feature three of Russia’s top hockey teams from the 1993 age group as well as teams from Belarus Finland and Latvia.

“It’s going to be good experience playing Russian teams and teams all over the European area,” said Dalton.

On the team called the North American Selects, there are four Canadians, six Americans, four Russians and two Finnish players. “We scouted from British Colombia to California to Finland to Russia,” said Birger Joehnk, manager of the team who is from New Jersey. “There were good reports first on Dalton then Brodyn.”

The team, which hasn’t played a single game together, will be playing against some well-oiled Russian teams who have been playing together for several years.

“The great challenge initially will be how quickly the team can adapt,” said Joehnk. “By the end they will do very well.” The team got invited to the tournament because Vershinin, who is from the Ukraine, played in the Russian Elite league and has connections with the tournament organizers.

A part from playing hockey, the team will also get to explore St. Petersburg, visit historic sites and learn about Russian culture. They will also be staying with other teams from around the world in the complex where the Red Army National Team trains. “Hockey aside, it’s going to be a great cultural experience,” Thrower said.

wango tango
05-08-2009, 10:35 AM
i see the tourney ran apr 28 may 4. if the guys are back, how was the experience?

i hope thrower can come in and have a good camp and challenge for a spot on d. he and siemens will be a big part of the blades future success.

Mamasita
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
That wasn't this year..it was two years ago. The SKA (Red Army) team there is equivalent to our Canucks and they gave the boys their team bus. The boys played at their arena and came home with the Bronze. Officiating is much different there. Could have played in the final but we could see that wasn't going to happen. All in all...it was an amazing experience!

Trav
05-08-2009, 05:01 PM
a top prospect for the Blades and a recent bantam pick get recognized, obviously they're highly thought of and hopefully both of them will be good players here.

Pretty sure Thrower will be here this year. I can see him being a 6th or 7th d-man. I actually like their top 6

Elliot - Siemens
Niemi - Zahn
Klassen - Thrower

Good pairings no matter what way u pair them up.

As for Nielsen was drafted late, hope he's not going the college route, stats from a Victoria tournament look good, sounds like he could be a good pick in the future.

Tidball
05-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Wintoneak, Hulak, and Kytnar should be our 20's if they are avaliable.

Our D should be like this

Elliott - Zahn
Niemi - Wall
Thrower - Seimens
Laurent.

Should Kytnar sign pro, then Klassen will be used.

peatfan
05-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Thrower is going to be a good one. Liked him in bantam and he was even better as a midget. I'll be surprised if he doesn't make your team this year. It looks like the Blades could finally be the team to beat in 09-10. Plus you have some good forwards joining your team, especially Benson. Good luck next year.

Trav
05-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Wintoneak, Hulak, and Kytnar should be our 20's if they are avaliable.

Our D should be like this

Elliott - Zahn
Niemi - Wall
Thrower - Seimens
Laurent.

Should Kytnar sign pro, then Klassen will be used.

the Blades using three 16 yr old d-men. If Klassen isn't kept then I'd imagine Molleken would try and get another veteran d-man from some where. I also think Wall will be on the bubble as well.

Tidball
05-10-2009, 06:27 PM
the Blades using three 16 yr old d-men. If Klassen isn't kept then I'd imagine Molleken would try and get another veteran d-man from some where. I also think Wall will be on the bubble as well.

Laurent(should he report) would be used as a 7th D-man. Since you dont understand ill help you out. The Blades usually use 6 D-men per game(which would leave the 7th D-man as a scratch) Should the Blades decide to scratch someone and test Laurent, it would probably be Siemens or Thrower(which still leave the Blades playing with 2 16's on D)

Trav
05-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Relax dude, just expressing who I think will be on defense. Thrower can be used as a 7th d-man unless he shows he can be a regular during camp, if he does, great. If Laurent comes and is as good as he's talked bout to be then thats even better for the team. I don't think the Blades don't need to rush their young d-men though.

Tidball
05-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Relax dude, just expressing who I think will be on defense. Thrower can be used as a 7th d-man unless he shows he can be a regular during camp, if he does, great. If Laurent comes and is as good as he's talked bout to be then thats even better for the team. I don't think the Blades don't need to rush their young d-men though.
(sry for snapping)

Im almost certain that Thrower will make it. Lorne is high on the kid. He didnt recall him during the playoffs for nothing, Lorne loves Thrower(unfortunately he loved Funk too) and im sure Thrower will make the team. I really like the idea of Seimens and Thrower on a line together.

I do not want Molleken to go find a Vet D. We got Zahn, Niemi, Elliott, and Wall has been along for the ride.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-11-2009, 01:02 PM
I agree that both Thrower and Siemens are both great defencemen but would you REALLY want to put both of them on the same pairing based on the reason that they are BOTH 16? I would not have a problem with it but I just see some concern in that situation. I know whatever happens in training camp and whatever happens with the line combos things will work out and if they do not there is no reason to panic. on Another note I think I heard or read somewhere that Josh Nicholls and the Blades 1st round pick in 09 Ryan Olsen are good friends too. That is good to see.

Tidball
05-13-2009, 01:37 AM
I agree that both Thrower and Siemens are both great defencemen but would you REALLY want to put both of them on the same pairing based on the reason that they are BOTH 16? I would not have a problem with it but I just see some concern in that situation. I know whatever happens in training camp and whatever happens with the line combos things will work out and if they do not there is no reason to panic. on Another note I think I heard or read somewhere that Josh Nicholls and the Blades 1st round pick in 09 Ryan Olsen are good friends too. That is good to see.

Elliott had 1st line time when he was 16. Siemens and Thrower will start with 3rd line time. Im sure they could handle it.

Rumor had it that Brodyn Nielsen is quite a player.... possibly the best draft choice the Blades made. Being drafted to the same team with his best friend may help his choice in choosing the WHL or NCAA.

Trav
05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
because he was already better then the rest of the d-men on the team and still is the number 1 or 2 d-man on the team. Siemens could be a top 4 d-man right away, would've made the top 6 last year if 15's were allowed to play. Again the Blades don't need to rush Thrower.

Tidball
05-17-2009, 10:39 AM
because he was already better then the rest of the d-men on the team and still is the number 1 or 2 d-man on the team. Siemens could be a top 4 d-man right away, would've made the top 6 last year if 15's were allowed to play. Again the Blades don't need to rush Thrower.

Playing a 16yr old on the 3rd line D-pairing is not rushing him.