PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Benn

dagley
05-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I am convinced he is the best junior player in the world right now.

Rockets1231
05-18-2009, 07:49 PM
He's possessed, nearly had 5 that would have 'Benn' something! Ok bad joke...but ya he's amazing, the Stars are lucky to be getting such a great player.

LifelongChiefsFan
05-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Incredible game tonight, not just by Benn but by the Rockets as well. They were easily the better team tonight, Guggenberger had a tough game, otherwise Kelowna would have won it handily. But in any event, Kelowna is in the final now and that's what is important.

Does anyone know how Kelowna plans to treat the game against Windsor tomorrow? I know last year the Chiefs already had a spot in the final after 2 games, but they iced their full team and eliminated the Olympiques. I would hope Kelowna does the same against Windsor tomorrow. Although the odds of Windsor winning the Memorial Cup are extremely slim, there's no reason to give them any hope imo.

Good luck Rockets!

Chief Jeff
05-18-2009, 08:50 PM
In 91 the Chiefs were in the same position and played all their backups including Scott Bailey in net. It is kind of a weird position...They are in the final regardless so at the very least you roll all 4 lines and play all 6 D-men equally regardless of score.

Rockets1231
05-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I think the most important thing is not to have any injuries, so if anyone is hurt even ever so slightly, sit them. Otherwise pound the Spits! I think it's important to have another great game to keep up to par. In my opinion a hard fought loss might be even better, keep them focused over their layoff.

eecliff
05-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Benny...Benny...Benny & the Jets...:groovy:

Malc
05-19-2009, 01:45 PM
By Kevin Parnell

Jamie Benn put his Kelowna Rockets teammates on his shoulders Monday night.

Where he took them was to the final of the 2009 Memorial Cup.

Benn had four goals and one assist as the Rockets defeated the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s Drummondville Voltigeurs 6-4 Monday night.

The win improved Kelowna’s record to 2-0 at the 2009 Memorial Cup, assuring itself a spot in Sunday’s championship game despite still having to play another round robin game.

After scoring the first goal of the game, Benn’s second and third goals pulled the Rockets back into ties with Quebec champion Drummondville. His fourth was the game winner.

“When Jamie goes our team goes is the best way I can put it,” said Rockets head coach Ryan Huska. “He’s got the physical package. He has great hands. He really is our leader. When Jamie goes our team follows.”

It took some time for the Rockets to get going Monday as they played a tentative first period and trailed 2-1 heading to the second. Then Benn went to work. First he made a beautiful move on Drummondville’s Dmitry Kulikov, considered the top defenceman in Quebec, before setting up Cody Almond with a sweet cross ice pass that made the score 2-2.

When the Voltigeurs went ahead 3-2 later in the second Benn tied it on a nice one timer that rippled the mesh form a bad angle, converting a nice three way passing play with Colin Long and Tyler Myers in on the play.

“It seemed like every time we tied it up they came back. We showed a lot of character coming back each time,” said Benn who admitted it might have been the best game of his life. “It’s up there for sure. It was a pretty crazy game. I have to give a lot of credit to my teammates and my linemates. They gave me a lot of help.”

The Voltigeurs again went ahead in the third period when a puck bounced into the Kelowna net off of a defenceman. Again it was Benn who brought Kelowna back ripping a one-timer home form the slot on a Kelowna power play. Just over two minutes later he fooled shaken Drummondville netminder Marco Cousineau with a wrist-shot for the winning goal.

Almond completed the scoring with his second of the game in the dying minutes, sending the Rockets to the championship final on Sunday.

“It’s exciting,” said Huska, who will participate in his fifth Memorial Cup championship game. “It’s funny the way this tournament works that we’re already at this point but we can’t look past tomorrow night. I think that’s an important game for us. To go into the final we have to be playing our best. I think our players can enjoy this tonight but quickly get refocused.”

The Rockets close the tournament with a game tomorrow night against Windsor. For the Spitfires it will be a must win after opening with two losses.

Scoring Summary
First Period
1. Kelowna Jamie Benn 2 (Long) 4:02 (sh)
2. Drummondville Yannick Riendeau 1 (unassisted) 14:27
3. Drummondville Marc-Olivier Vachon 1 (Riendeau, Masse) 17:10 (pp)

Second Period
4. Kelowna Cody Almond (Benn, Novotny) 9:09
5. Drummondville Marc-Antoine Desnoyers (Riendeau) 9:47
6. Kelowna Jamie Benn 3 (Long, Myers) 18:47

Third Period
7. Drummondville Marc-Olivier Vachon 2 (Prokop, Riendeau) 7:23 (pp)
8. Kelowna Jamie Benn 4 (Backlund, Barrie) 9:26 (pp)
9. Kelowna Jamie Benn 5 (Long, Barrie) 11:41
10 Kelowna Cody Almond 2 (Barrie, Callahan) 18:29

Shots on goal:
Kelowna 5-8-10 23
Rimouski 8-8-6 22

Power plays:
Kelowna 1 for 3
Drummondville 2 for 5

Attendance

http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_similkameen/kelownacapitalnews/sports/hockey/MEMORIAL_CUP_Rockets_qualify_for_Mem_Cup_final.htm l